• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did someone just say Gundam AGE is the best Gundam series?

Because it is.

To AGE's defence, I really think that except for the last half of Kio's arc which was pretty bad, Flit's arc, Asemu's arc and the first half of Kio's are pretty good.

The only gundam show that I ever truly disliked was G-Reco for how of a mess its story was. Which is really a shame since it had awesome mecha designs, great music and amazing visuals.

Kuromukuro 9-18

Super awesome show.

I'm invested in the story and I like the little twists and turns so far. Gotta love the French samurai otaku girl who knows more about Japan than the natives and the Spanish kid who keeps getting shat on by all of his friends. I do hope the video streamer gets speared. Dude is annoying AF. American soldier stays wanting to shove stuff up peoples ass. Thats how we do it in the US of A fuck yeahhh.

I really wish PA Works toned down the CG for this show. Its excessive at times. The scene where everyone took the train to go shoot cosplay was awful to look at. Garbage CG train, garbage CG environments. PA Works does such an amazing job at background art that it upsets me when they go CG instead.

Another thing that kinda bugs me is how episodes dont transition nicely onto the next one. Like an important event would happen at the end of an episode then the next one starts completely differently in tone and content. Its not really that big of a deal but something that bugged me a bit.

Episode 17 was hype. I loved the hell out of it. Eager to finish the rest.

Lain

Cross Ange 22

What in the flying fuck. I could buy
the frying pan stopping the bullet. It's far fetched but hey, she was wielding a frying pan during the episode so whatever. But surviving a fall and an explosion? Surviving a bomb strapped to the chest?
and yet the weirdest part of the episode was the lack of nipples. After an episode in which Embryo decanted how nice Ange's nipples were while pinching them, we get her giving frontal nudity to the camera but no nipples to be seen. Weird.
Oh, and Ersha saw the light, while Salia plunged deeper in her foolishness. How can you be so stupid? Because someone wrote you like that, I guess.

Cross Ange 22

What in the flying fuck. I could buy
the frying pan stopping the bullet. It's far fetched but hey, she was wielding a frying pan during the episode so whatever. But surviving a fall and an explosion? Surviving a bomb strapped to the chest?
and yet the weirdest part of the episode was the lack of nipples. After an episode in which Embryo decanted how nice Ange's nipples were while pinching them, we get her giving frontal nudity to the camera but no nipples to be seen. Weird.
Oh, and Ersha saw the light, while Salia plunged deeper in her foolishness. How can you be so stupid? Because someone wrote you like that, I guess.

probably the greatest anime episode of all time

Narag

I know literally nobody who likes Captain Earth.

If I had to wager a guess on who does, maybe GoldCrusader. But even that's a stretch since he didn't include it in his list before.

EMPZA5e.png

Sterok

I don't get why so many people are down on Magical Girl Raising Project. I mean yeah, it's not the next Madoka, and there's nothing outstanding thus far, but it seems pretty competent. The characters aren't particularly deep or interesting, but they're entertaining enough given that most of them are meant to die, and it's only 12 episodes. It's dark, but that's in the premise, and it hasn't gone nearly as grimpderp (yet) as it could have. Nothing particularly stupid or incomprehensible has happened. The fanservice outfits are a bit annoying, and it's taking things a bit too slow, but neither seems like a deal breaker.

It's embracing the transformation concept the genre pays lip service too fully, with characters changing appearance, age (in both ways), gender, and one doesn't even look human. Both deceased characters died because of their flaws, not a random act of cruelty, and both managed to give story contributions before they bit it. The powers are given enough variety without being completely broken. It is about magical girls, in that it turns out if you half-haphazardly give magical powers to people like most MG shows do, most of them are not going to be the ideal heroes they're meant to be, if they're even heroes at all.

I'm not saying it's great (though I'm enjoying it plenty), and I understand not feeling it or disliking the premise, but I don't think it's done anything to be worth hating.

I don't get why so many people are down on Magical Girl Raising Project. I mean yeah, it's not the next Madoka, and there's nothing outstanding thus far, but it seems pretty competent. The characters aren't particularly deep or interesting, but they're entertaining enough given that most of them are meant to die, and it's only 12 episodes. It's dark, but that's in the premise, and it hasn't gone nearly as grimpderp (yet) as it could have. Nothing particularly stupid or incomprehensible has happened. The fanservice outfits are a bit annoying, and it's taking things a bit too slow, but neither seems like a deal breaker.

It's embracing the transformation concept the genre pays lip service too fully, with characters changing appearance, age (in both ways), gender, and one doesn't even look human. Both deceased characters died because of their flaws, not a random act of cruelty, and both managed to give story contributions before they bit it. The powers are given enough variety without being completely broken. It is about magical girls, in that it turns out if you half-haphazardly give magical powers to people like most MG shows do, most of them are not going to be the ideal heroes they're meant to be, if they're even heroes at all.

I'm not saying it's great (though I'm enjoying it plenty), and I understand not feeling it or disliking the premise, but I don't think it's done anything to be worth hating.

That's hyperbolic Animegaf in a nutshell. Some people here always go extreme when they don't like a show.

jgminto

I know literally nobody who likes Captain Earth.

If I had to wager a guess on who does, maybe GoldCrusader. But even that's a stretch since he didn't include it in his list before.
Captain Earth is Duckroll's favourite anime.
I don't get why so many people are down on Magical Girl Raising Project. I mean yeah, it's not the next Madoka, and there's nothing outstanding thus far, but it seems pretty competent.
I haven't watched it yet but the dark magical girl trope is so overdone at this point. Most of these shows aren't saying anything with the combination of a light genre with a dark theme and the magical girl genre is much more interesting as empowerment for young girls and women instead of dreck that would fit in at a Hot Topic.

Thud

Rose of Versailles 10

So the fatty got crowned.

Meanwhile a new challenger approaches. One witch leaves and another witch enters. Snow White's stepmom material. I mean that horrifying laugh justifies that image alone.

The only thing I don't like in this series is that Oscar is always there on the right time and the right place. She does have her faults, but it compared to other characters it doesn't really matter. Feels weird to connect historical characters with fictional ones. I don't know if it's some kind of power fantasy the author had.

At least we saw a golden livre.

Cornbread78

Prejudice is a killer, lol.

Nah, it's been pretty fun to watch!

Cornbread78

Fairy Tale ep.55
Fairy-Tail-55-11.jpg

Oh man, that fucker is back... Things are going to get super interesting with him back in the fold, I'm just not sure how I feel about the way it went down.. Either way, this episode continues the great mix of action, adventure, comedy and good story entertaimment

Thoraxes

Started a free trial for Funimation's streaming service for Fafner and a few shows. They don't have Fafner subbed in HD, only the dub. ._.

The BDs for Season 1+Movie got a S.A.V.E. release and are dirt cheap. Will be even cheaper come end of Nov. too.
What's the consensus on Bungo Stray Dogs btw? now that S2 is airing right now.
Season 1 was really good, but didn't hit it's overarching plot till later. It's a very Igarashi show in terms of how it's handled and I tend to enjoy his stuff a lot.

Season 2 has been very good so far too. The story it tells at the start fills in the history of one of the characters from S1 in a meaningful way.

Reversible cover too.

I think I paid only $20 for it since I preordered super early.

2016-10-2420.20.18cds5w.jpg

Me and Narag are Captain Earth nakama.

It's a real shame Funimation will never release/license right to left and Exodus with a DUB since the series did not do well for them. I would really have liked it :/

It's a real shame Funimation will never release/license right to left and Exodus with a DUB since the series did not do well for them. I would really have liked it :/

I still find it hilarious that, to stream the entire series, a person needs to go from Funi to Daisuki to Funi to Crunchyroll.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tale ep.56
That was awesome. I mean, the end with Lyon completely sucked, but the action in this episode was great and the way thr handled the battle was really well done. When this show is on it's A-game, it is top tier for sure. Still angry at that ending though, Lyon and Gray were awesome together.

I still find it hilarious that, to stream the entire series, a person needs to go from Funi to Daisuki to Funi to Crunchyroll.

That's only recently, before it was even worst were left to right was just nowhere but on illegal sites. At least now we can watch it completely, but yea it's very dumb.

Jarmel

Banned
Thanks for the info, especially the caveat that the earliest episodes are the roughest.

I will say this, hosanna had less of an issue with it than I did for the earlier episodes because I felt it was aiming to be a boring EVA clone. The best way of getting through it is just to burn through it as quick as possible.

Lain

Cross Ange 24-25 END

So, if I got this right, the whole show was about Embryo-sama finding himself a girlfriend and utterly failing at conquering her heart. Couldn't he have done it like the rest of the world? Could have saved those thousand of years of waiting only to be rejected.

Kuromukuro 20-22

Awesome.
So many people died
. I thought that the
invasion
started a little early and didnt know if they could stretch this out for like 8 episodes but
they got their asses whooped handily. RIP Sebastien

Got a lot of backstory. I wonder, does that mean Yukina
is also a clone? I'm sure we'll get more info about the Washiba afterwards, as well as why these aliens are actually human.
I also initially thought that
Zell was the professor but looks like he just died.
Nice bromance between the two of them though.
Red Piccolo
is a cool dude.

Zell's robot is moe as fuck. Also lol at the PA Works building getting destroyed.

Thoraxes

Cross Ange 24-25 END

So, if I got this right, the whole show was about Embryo-sama finding himself a girlfriend and utterly failing at conquering her heart. Couldn't he have done it like the rest of the world? Could have saved those thousand of years of waiting only to be rejected.

He had to wait all those years just for his perfect waifu to be born.

These things take time.

Narag

Kuromukuro 7

Wanted to make a "get in the damn mukuro, yukina" joke but ended up impressed how Yukina's melancholy instead created despondency in Kennosuke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom