• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

One particular element of their 'relationship' that I find bizarre is how they go through almost the same relationship-arc every episode. Every episode starts with Cocona being, in some way, down or distant from Papika and then buy the end of the episode they're bestest of friends. Repeat.

Haven't watched it yet so curious if there is continuity in the show or a reset in a different setting?

Jex

Haven't watched it yet so curious if there is continuity in the show or a reset in a different setting?

Oh, there is continuity between episodes and an overarching 'story' of sorts, but it's largely in the background while the main focus is on the two girls going on some kind of adventure. Which is for the best.

Caught up with the latest bit of Keijo!!!!!!!!, and it was absolute hilarity and action from start to finish. 22 minutes sure can fly by in an instant.

Also:

tw7jyHJ.png

V9Ma5In.jpg

Aoba has been killing it this episode.

JulianImp

Occultic;Nine - #3
This definitely felt better paced, and far less confusing as a result. That scene where the ditzy girl abruptly and completely dropped her act was pretty interesting as well, since I expected her to be just a dumb side character at best. It's pretty sad that her main defining characteristic is having ridiculously large breasts, because she probably would've been a better character without that... maybe it was to have some more physical variety among the female cast, but it still looks pretty bad and out of place.

JoJo Diamonds - #30
I really like how this season's setting allowed Araki to hop back and forth between different stand users to keep things fresh, rather than the way it was handled in Part 3 where the crusaders were together almost all the time. Getting a whole episode focused on the antagonist's own bizzarre adventures just couldn't have happened up to now, IMO.

Also, plant-kitty was really interesting, even though it doesn't appear to be as intelligent as previous animal stand users by comparison. Also, Kira's son finally unravelling his secret could lead to some interesting developments later on, so that's another interesting thing that happened this episode.

JoJo's never been the highlight of any season it's been airing on for me so far, but I like that it's a pretty consistent and fun shonen series.

Flip Flappers is an odd show to be certain. The show has given no real reason that I should care about the central relationship at all. There's very little sense of cohesion or connectivity in any part of it. Things happen in Flip Flappers because things happen. The end result is a show that strikes no emotional note for me outside of its impressive visuals.

Szadek

Smile Precure - Ep 21-22
Joker finally did something and it was pretty fucking cool.
He certianly is a very strong fighter as well.
I guess it's finally time for the midway climax next episode

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Flip Flappers is an odd show to be certain. The show has given no real reason that I should care about the central relationship at all. There's very little sense of cohesion or connectivity in any part of it. Things happen in Flip Flappers because things happen. The end result is a show that strikes no emotional note for me outside of its impressive visuals.

Well, the thing of it is, the core relationship is being deliberately obstructed as I suspect it is connected to the true nature of what Papika and Cocona are.
They even gave it a name, the Direct Drive. Also, apparently the reason why Papika is attracted to Cocona's smell is because she smells like the fragments.

Qurupeke

One particular element of their 'relationship' that I find bizarre is how they go through almost the same relationship-arc every episode. Every episode starts with Cocona being, in some way, down on or distant from Papika and then buy the end of the episode they're bestest of friends. Repeat.

I noticed that and I'm not sure what they're trying to do. You could skip the whole first episode after they enter Pure Illusion, and episode 2 would make more sense. It's getting kind of obnoxious.

The narrative kind of reminds me of Kiznaivers so far. The characters face odd situations, there's an overarching plot in the background and the show focuses on those characters' interactions and relationships. I'm more or less satisfied with Kiznaiver's handling of those elements in its early episodes, despite having various shortcomings, but I can't say the same for Flip Flappers. Everything seems to be secondary to character interactions, but what's the point if there's not a particular continuity to them? Episode 4 was dedicated more or less entirely to the duo, but it feels kind of hollow when the various character moments so far didn't amount to something. Unfortunately, I can see why various people here are disappointed with the show on that department and I think I'm on the same boat. I'm hopeful that episode 5, that seems to directly follow the previous episode, will take everything that happened into account and won't be another reset but that remains to be seen...

Anyway, the reasons I enjoy the show are the strong animation, the visuals, the vivid colours and, of course, the outwordly, sometimes even trippy, adventures. I think the show remains enjoyable and something to look forward each week as long as it's still like that.

Quasar

I'll have you know that Asuka is my second favorite character!

Anime characters tend to be super straightforward, so having an unconventional character like is really refreshing.

She was my favourite from basically frame 1. And this arc has had me enjoy her even more. Hope we get more Asuka the rest of the season.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
So there is some magical girl death game anime or something happening this season, so of course I decided to rewatch Madoka Magica. What a freaking masterpiece. It's been a while, and I didn't mean to binge watch it, but just watching how the deal unfolds in unexpected and increasingly darker ways made me just gush over this series all over again. The fights are great and visually really interesting. The music is top fucking notch. All the characters are wonderful in the sense that there is always something more going on with them than what their initial impressions would lead you to suspect. The pacing trickles things enough for MAX DESPAIR. Everything in this is just so perfectly executed

But god damn it
I hate time travel so fucking much. In anything! Doesn't matter what, time travel ruins stories! To be fair, I love the application here, to a point, but it also led to such a weird ending that I'd have been fine with a story that's just straight despair to the end like from one of those other timelines. Preferably the one where Homura shoots Madoka. That one seemed fun.

Fun fact, never seen the Rebellion movie but heard it gets pretty nutso. So looking forward to watching that.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Keijo.... I just can't fucking take it.

Soft buns that assassinate enemy asses
Wedgie for the fastest ass
Titty Hypo.

Can't wait for ASSimilate, Shadow Jitsu Titty, and Wall of a Thousand Tit Slaps

Keijo.... I just can't fucking take it.

Soft buns that assassinate enemy asses
Wedgie for the fastest ass
Titty Hypo.

Can't wait for ASSimilate, Shadow Jitsu Titty, and Wall of a Thousand Tit Slaps

Next episode will make you question if an ass can truly gain sentience.....the answer may surprise you.

Flip Flappers Ep: 4

I love the everything about the show that is not the plot, the characters or the fan service and this episode was mostly about those three. The only aspect I found remotely interesting was Cocona's relationship with her grandmother where it seems as if she's been a live in carer for her and was suffering from guilt for planning an evening away. Of course the show was way less interested in that dynamic than fan service shower scenes, sigh, at least next week will back to the crazy visuals.

I laughed so damn hard at this and was also relieved that the Republic was spared having our own Overfiend shame revealed!

caliph95

Drifters Episode 4

Yeah while enjoying the action and the animation, the comedy is draging this down and it doesn't help the story and characters are not the best. The "cool" factor seems to be only thing going for it and not complaining seeing Joan of arc burn some dudes and Billy the Kid shoot "orcs" is great.

Keijo 04

Butts are really the star of this show. Glad they did reinforce the dangers of titty hypnosis, it is a real thing.

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume 04

Captain could easily become be favorite right up there with Agari.

Flip Flappers 04

At some point Cocona is going fight Yayaka and beat her because the power of her friendship with Paprika is stronger than her friendship with Yayaka even though she's only known Paprika for 5 minutes.

Szadek

Smile Precure! - Ep. 23
This was the best episode so far for many reasons:
-4 quadruple Bad End
-Majorina in sexy mode
-5 fight scenes at once
and most improtantly the princess forms!

The main villains got beaten pretty easily,but I suppose that isn't really dead or whatever,because what else should they do for the next 25 epsiodes?

One particular element of their 'relationship' that I find bizarre is how they go through almost the same relationship-arc every episode. Every episode starts with Cocona being, in some way, down on or distant from Papika and then buy the end of the episode they're bestest of friends. Repeat.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the way the villain in last week's episode described Cocona. She said she was "nothing", and didn't really care, and the mask she had on at the time only amplified those feelings.

She's basically just been going with the flow with Papika's antics. In a way this kind of reflects how she acted in the first episode, with her being basically emotionless in her everyday life before Papika brought some spark to it, and when she spends time away from her, she starts to regress back to her old self.

I wouldn't say they've acted like the "bestest of friends" at the end of every episode though. I feel like that's only just happened at the last scene of episode 4, right before another Pure Illusion adventure.

There's actual plot continuity, only the two girls' relationship has been constantly regressing in between episodes for some reason.

I wouldn't exactly call it regressing. To me it feels like very slow increments, with the way Cocona has been slowly getting more and more used to Papika.

Oh, there is continuity between episodes and an overarching 'story' of sorts, but it's largely in the background while the main focus is on the two girls going on some kind of adventure. Which is for the best.

I agree. There's obviously going to be some drama later down the line as we approach the show's finale, but I can accept that. Flip Flappers has been giving me everything I wanted from the show ever since I saw the PVs. Papika and Cocona being cute together, magical girl transformations, fight scenes that are flashy and fun to watch, etc.

I'm interested in what's going on regarding the show's antagonists, who Dr. Salt is, what Pure Illusion is in general, etc. I'm sure we'll get an explanation somewhere down the line regarding those things, but for now I'm enjoying Papika and Cocona's adventures enough that when the explanation does come and shit gets real, it'll have a better effect on me since I'm already well invested into the story and characters.

caliph95

91 Days Episode 1

Nothing amazing so far but i'm digging what i'm seeing. I'm always a sucker for the more western anime such as this and it's unique for it's medium. i'm intrigue to see where it's going.

SUPER RETARD 31

Huh, they're doing the Superfly, Cheap Trick and Enigma fight plus My Dad Is Not My Dad at the same time. Not all combined into one fight mind you, but happening simultaneously, thus the name of the episodes being Thursday and not the name of the fight. That's an interesting way to cut down on time between these final stand encounters that are independent of each other without character overlap and the last boss.

Looks cute.
The day before the graduation ceremony, five middle school girls each are preoccupied with their real everyday lives. These girls meet each other in a fantasy world after being sent there through a sudden occurrence. There, they learn about the impending crisis that this world is facing. The way to avert this crisis is for the five to collaborate and bring their five hearts together as one through dance. However, the five cannot come to love the world, and cannot tell their true feelings to one another, so their hearts are unable to unite and the time limit is fast approaching.
Not sure if for children/general audience or otaku. >_>

This is the director's debut. Can't imagine the melodrama will be done well.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 31

MPR basically answered all the questions I had about the format of this episode since I assumed some things incorrectly. I do have one question though: does this resolve the "not enough episodes" concerns expressed early on when it comes to trying to make everything fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom