• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

The Great Passage - 03

Some people on the internet apparently thought this was going to be a BL?? Uhh what. Did an artist or something do BL work before, because that's the only way I could imagine people reaching that conclusion. Nothing thus far went into that territory? Or maybe I'm just oblivious.

Probably just that it looked like an all guy show.

Liked episode 3, though the story thread is a little too obvious to me.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Igarashi sure likes his red backgrounds. Not that I'm complaining. Love them.

On the other hand, Bungous's OP@ ED are a disappointment. I'm complaining.

Also ep out on Crunchy wheeeeeeen.

Haikyuu 04

Yeah, that Tsukishima moment was executed nicely. Nice episode as per usual though the reuse of the same cuts was more apparent to me than in the past.
Yeah, the episode was really well executed. It had steady build-up, but the mood left you not knowing whether they were actually going to win or lose the set, until you saw the crappy serve. Then you saw Tsukishima'a lion eyes stalking its prey and you knew what was coming. Super hype.

Also bonus points for being smug about it to Hinata while being tsundere to everyone else.

Taruranto

Dictionaries are serious business #3

haR8rFw.jpg

Fs2wKUw.jpg

axZAIp3.jpg
Maybe it should have been BL, though.

Cornbread78

I don't think I've asked before and I'm really interested in the diversity of possible answers in here, so what is everyone's #1, all-time favorite anime series? (not movie)

Mine's still Clannad and I don't think anything will ever top it for me, just too many great moments.

tumblr_n4lt4bDLde1qbvovho1_500.gif

What's yours and why? "I want to know your everythings"* lol.

inspired by Yuri on ice ep. 2
I kid, but I really am interested!

Taruranto

I don't think I've asked before and I'm really interested in the diversity of possible answers in here, so what is everyone's #1, all-time favorite anime series? (not movie)

Mine's still Clannad and I don't think anything will ever top it for me, just too many great moments.

What's yours and why? I want to know your everythings, lol.

What's wrong with the girl eyes and face, is she well?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A masterpiece in every sense of the word, and leverages, without compromise, all advantages the medium has to offer.

Qurupeke

Hmm, I haven't really thought about that. I guess The Tatami Galaxy. I didn't have any complaints with it, it's beautiful and it resonates with me like nothing else.

So if we exclude movies

Up until last year it was Haikyu, but My Hero Academia is now my #1
23930-1245333.jpg

And why? MHA brought me joy every Sunday morning and Wednesday night(Simulcast/simuldub) and I felt like a little kid watching is morning cartoons all over again. Also, that All Might vs Noumu battle was so above and beyond what I was expecting, that I was crying tears of joy.

Yeaaaaa, I like it a lot!

I don't think I've asked before and I'm really interested in the diversity of possible answers in here, so what is everyone's #1, all-time favorite anime series? (not movie).

-Introduced me to Super Robots
-Made me love mecha in general
-Phenomenal OST.
-Has what is probably my favourite final showdown in any anime ever.

I could sit here for hours talking about why I love TTGL so much.

Exalted

rMUcao9.jpg

Mine's a bit obscure , while i don't think it's one of the best show in terms of quality, i still really love this show. Ghost Hunt is my favourite show , and the only show that i watched more than 2 times.

Baalzebup

I always have great difficulties naming THE #1 favorite of any big collection of shit that I like, be it books, games or chinese cartoons, so my answer is not actually absolute. Hells, even forming a coherent top 10 is a Herculean task.

But fuck it, lets just shoot one. Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A`s.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Great Passage Episode 3:

Something I don't think that has been remarked on is just how out of time this series comes across. This is both resonant in the fact that the staff is still working by hand and has a paper based filing system and how they are the last staff left in the old building. Perhaps a grander metaphor on the state of the dictionary in general. Indeed we can see they striving for modernity as this new dictionary is going to include works from fields like IT and the world of Computers. It is an odd sort of viewpoint that really dates the characters which is strange because the original movie is from 2013 and this sounds like a conversation that should be taking place in the late 1990s. Also, they wish The Great Passage to be a hybrid of a dictionary and encyclopedia and this is clearly a universe where Wikipedia doesn't exist, or perhaps it does as we are told that the division is hanging by a thread and is quite the money pit. Oh, right, also a token romance was started that I suppose I should find compelling and endearing but I just find mildly annoying given how cliched it has been so far.

The Great Passage Episode 3:

Something I don't think that has been remarked on is just how out of time this series comes across. This is both resonant in the fact that the staff is still working by hand and has a paper based filing system and how they are the last staff left in the old building. Perhaps a grander metaphor on the state of the dictionary in general. Indeed we can see they striving for modernity as this new dictionary is going to include works from fields like IT and the world of Computers. It is an odd sort of viewpoint that really dates the characters which is strange because the original movie is from 2013 and this sounds like a conversation that should be taking place in the late 1990s. Also, they wish The Great Passage to be a hybrid of a dictionary and encyclopedia and this is clearly a universe where Wikipedia doesn't exist, or perhaps it does as we are told that the division is hanging by a thread and is quite the money pit. Oh, right, also a token romance was started that I suppose I should find compelling and endearing but I just find mildly annoying given how cliched it has been so far.

While the original novel was published in 2011, the story itself is actually set in 2000 (you can see specific date references in the anime if you look closely).

tuffy

A masterpiece in every sense of the word, and leverages, without compromise, all advantages the medium has to offer.
I just finished this yesterday, and I quite agree.

Who's a good boy? Densuke. Densuke's a good boy. Yes he is.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
While the original novel was published in 2011, the story itself is actually set in 2000 (you can see specific date references in the anime if you look closely).

That explains so much, that explains why this just feels like it was made around that time, kudos for nailing that so thoroughly.

Thud

One Piece used to be a favorite of mine. In particular the water 7 and enies lobby arc. Just thinking about some of these scenes makes me teary. Usopp vs Luffy, Merry going down and obviously the moment the strawhats come get Robin.

That's more like a favorite memory. One Piece hasn't been that special since Thriller Bark to me.

Choosing the number one between my favorites is not easy. Digimon, Ippo, Jojo, Berserk, Hunter x Hunter and Sexy Commando all stuff I really enjoy watching.

If I have to pick one, it would be Digimon. Especially the first season. So many feels just by watching the opening.

For best anime I watched it's easily Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Nothing really compares imo.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Okay, if we are playing this game, I suppose I would have to select Ranma !/2 as my all time favorite and important anime as this was really the series to bridge the gap from casual watcher to hardcore fan. That being said, I have not watched the series in forever and I don't think I want to, one of those memory tarnishing endeavors.

elhav

From the plot to the characters, from the direction to the animation, you can't get an SoL with the tremendous staying power that Hyouka had in me and others alike. This is a masterpiece. An untouched one.
I agree. Though I do see why some found it boring. It's a subtle anime, and doesn't shove its narrative down your throat like many others do. It's slow paced, but the character development and how those little bonds are forming within the group are excellent.

The mysteries themselves are okay, but are not the soul of Hyouka. I also don't find it a good romance anime, like it may consider itself as. It's a slice of life anime, as far as I'm concerned, and a damn good one at that. It's tranquil, with very well written characters. I just love it.

The first 6 or so episodes are the some of the best in the whole series, and basically offer enough closure so that you can watch them and go on with your life. I highly recommend watching these episodes, at least.

Sterok

Lostorage Incited Wixoss 4

So the Bookmaker just wants to see people squirm. Discount Ultih really. Suzuko and Hanna are going to get close by the end of this. Hanna is pretty good at figuring out what happens. In the end Sumida really was just a punk with no skill. Chinatsu really doesn't give a damn. Almost like something happened to her when she almost disappeared. Or she's just really jaded. And of course the LRIGs do indeed replace their owners. Which accounts for the personality change, but not the memory loss since they're made up of memories. So I don't know what to think.

Jintor

my basic answer is bebop, but i'll give my other GOAT: Planetes

banner_1605.jpg

Incredible, hard-layered sci-fi that starts out mundane and ends with one of the most transcendental moments I've ever experienced in media.

Quasar

That's really to hard. I really have trouble naming all time favourites of any kind of media. I could produce a shortlist, but that's about as close as I could get. And that would include Natsumes Book of Friends, Spice and Wolf, Monogatari and Hyouka. Tamayura too.

You bring up Clannad, and whilst I look very highly upon AS I don't put it up there because it's not something I'm keen on rewatching as it turned me into such an emotional wreck I barely made it through and that memory is still strong. And rewatchability is a big part of what puts stuff into the higher group for me.

So, up till a few years ago my Mother, bless her, would always do cake art for my birthday, putting my favorite characters on my Birthday Cakes. Well I started to do it myself a couple years ago when she became too busy (and perhaps me too old to have her do it for me.)

In 2014 I did an Optimus Prime cake for myself. And this year a Original Gundam Cake.

Tonight and this weekend I'll be attempting to put Renge (Non Non Biyori) and a Zigzagoon on my Wife's cake for her Birthday. I know my art isn't all that great, but I'm really hoping I can do her favorite Anime Girl justice.

Also:
Flip Flappers Episode 4:
Definitely heading for a mid season drop. Character work is weak, although this episode was a little better in the end, and while we both love the art, the growing unneeded fan servicey sexuality is putting my wife off. I'm not all that bothered, but in the lieu of anything more substantial I think we're about ready to be done.

Keijo Episode 4:
Crazy fun episode. Even my wife enjoyed it and she's been less enthused than I've been with the series.

Drifters Episode 4:
Also on the verge of dropping. The copy breaks the tension so much I actually found myself actively losing interest and my attention wandering.

And my favorite anime of all time with, probably, forever be: Getter Robo Armageddon:
875707083096_anime-getter-robo-armageddon-dvd-primary.jpg

Ascheroth

And my favorite anime of all time with, probably, forever be: Getter Robo Armageddon:
875707083096_anime-getter-robo-armageddon-dvd-primary.jpg
Yeah, that was an awesome ride.

I'm not really sure what my all time favorite anime would be, but maybe Gintama or Gurren Lagann, I guess. Making a top 10 is already hard enough, singling it down is impossible :p

I suppose my all-time favorite out of the top of my head would be NGEvangelion + End of Eva movie. I just have a crazy amount of admiration for it.

sonicmj1

My all-time favorite hasn't really changed in a long time. And it's FLCL.

FLCL_image.jpg

It blends the endless possibility and fun of animation with a strong sense of the pain and contradictions involved in growing up, and a strong, independent cast of characters that all grow in satisfying ways over the course of the series. It's incredible how well it comes together given how much independence the animators involved had in experimenting with new ideas and indulging themselves in visual gags.

I feel like I get something new out of it every time I come back to it. Even with its bonkers plot.

I just read the synopsis and it soubds kinda interesting..

Dennou Coil is a really great series.

Thud

My all-time favorite hasn't really changed in a long time. And it's FLCL.

It blends the endless possibility and fun of animation with a strong sense of the pain and contradictions involved in growing up, and a strong, independent cast of characters that all grow in satisfying ways over the course of the series. It's incredible how well it comes together given how much independence the animators involved had in experimenting with new ideas and indulging themselves in visual gags.

I feel like I get something new out of it every time I come back to it. Even with its bonkers plot.

Good one, it completely failed as a manga imo. While the anime is great.

PillarEN

It's Clannad for me too. Season 2 is what puts it over the top but I was in love after the first season.

Can't watch Euphonium episode 4 yet (I don't pay for Crunchyroll). Episode 4 better get good. First 3 episodes left me sort of lukewarm so far. Yeah I'm curious if
they will let that girl back into the band
but I thought Reina and Kumiko would really hit it off this season but instead it's like, I don't know. Did Reina find out if the teacher is dating the woman teacher because she wants to get with her instead of him? I mean she's a lesbian right? Could be bi but who knows I guess.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Hmm, probably neon genesis evangelion or Tatami Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom