• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Probably Giant Robo.here.

PhHe8uOl.png

A celebration of Mitsuteru Yokoyama's oeuvre. Masamichi Amano leaving his A game [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVTtzaSczxM"]at home to bring his SSS game.[/URL] Caution: Imagodwa at work.

High Q S3 04

Alright, finally. Took a while to get this season going but this episode rocked.

The Great Passage 03

The scene right after the opening with Otacon in the crowds was great.

Is "Sensei" just a Japanese term for a respected person in that field? I only know of it as its use for a martial artist or a mangaka, but even newbie mangaka are called Sensei.

It's actually pretty hard to say what has been my favorite anime of all time as I started to watch seriously anime as young as 13. When you are kid/teen everything is just 10x more awesome than as a adult so it's hard to judge what actually is my favorite series of all time when you combine your modern tastes and old experiences. For example I absolutely adored One Piece as a teenager and still like it but it would feel wrong to say that it's my favorite series with my modern taste. Same if I go by my myanimelist scores Gundam SEED is at the top but nowadays I feel that it also had a lot of to do with the fact that I watched it as a 16 years old boy. So really. Two series that I think that I would love pretty much the same as back in a day are:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan

Aria the Origination

and I go with:
77623l.jpg

Absolutely masterful series. It's the ultimate relaxing anime. It really stands the test of time even though the first time I watched it I was 17. Still as a 25 years old I think it was absolutely masterful series and I re-watched it about two years ago. Dem feels. If people actually behaved like the characters in Aria universe we would have zero wars.

Copper

I don't think I've asked before and I'm really interested in the diversity of possible answers in here, so what is everyone's #1, all-time favorite anime series? (not movie)

Mine's still Clannad and I don't think anything will ever top it for me, just too many great moments.

tumblr_n4lt4bDLde1qbvovho1_500.gif

What's yours and why? "I want to know your everythings"* lol.

inspired by Yuri on ice ep. 2
I kid, but I really am interested!

I had to stop watching this recently because I think I got majorly spoiled.

Cornbread78

I had to stop watching this recently because I think I got majorly spoiled.

Probably have been, but it's worth watching through it because the impactful moments happen in several places and remember, it not always the destination, but the journey there.

So many great moments..

-Minsc-

Man, Drifters is really good, sans the comedy. The clash of historic figures in a fantasy setup! holy shit! SIGN ME THE FUCK UP!
The comedy is rough, though. Altough, it has grown on me a bit.

AND THAT OPENING, HOLY SHIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQYJxbkEItQ
Competing with Mob Psycho 100's op for best opening of the year.

Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

A nice mesh of art and animation styles thrown in with an english song. Can't go wrong.

edit:

A youtube comment sums it up.

So this is an anime made in Japan, with an OP animated by a Frenchman, featuring an American opening theme song, that's all about historical figures around the world killing each other. This is like my new favorite thing.

Minutes Til Midnight

Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

A nice mesh of art and animation styles thrown in with an english song. Can't go wrong.

edit:

A youtube comment sums it up.

So this is an anime made in Japan, with an OP animated by a Frenchman, featuring an American opening theme song, that's all about historical figures around the world killing each other. This is like my new favorite thing.

Minutes Til Midnight

Yeah! Forgot to add that I'm now a Minutes Til Midnight fan hahaha

CLAMP School Detectives END
88dfa60ed27f92cc7579558cafcb4226.jpg

I never expected to actually watch this, but when I saw that maiden japan(which a pretty freakin clever name btw) released it on dvd with a dub, I just had to pick it up.

The show itself was pretty nice. Following an episodic structure it followed the CLAMP detectives working to aid the damsels in distress around the freakin huge CLAMP school campus. So pretty much each episode had a case that was pretty much solved in the same episode. Only episodes 11-12 and 20 to 26 had different structure.

Of course while I enjoyed the overall series those different episode were the best. 11-12 focused on 1 of the 3 MC, Akira the kind soul kid, which was my favorite character. These episodes basically followed a previous manga of CLAMP that told the Story of Thousand masks(Akira in disguise). 20-26 were really the climax episode and add a lot of the best moments in the whole show, since it introduced the *villain*.

The show also seemed to be a fusion of many of the CLAMP school series. It had School detectives, a 2 episode take on CLAMP Man of Many faces and many many cameos of CLAMP school defenders

The art was really nice and really colourful. if you liked pretty much any of the previous CLAMP work, you pretty much know what you can expect. Also it's a show from 1998.

The animation itself never did anything amazing, but it was definitely above average imo. It stayed consistent throughout the whole thing.

The characters were all pretty cool. You had Nokoru, the all rounder and the gentlemen. You had the serious and tough guy Suoh and the kind and good cook Akira. They all had great distinct personality and gave a lot of energy

Also those bonus chibi clips on the last disc were hilarious and cute as hell.

Overall I really liked it and I probably going to go buy those old manga.

JulianImp

I don't think I've asked before and I'm really interested in the diversity of possible answers in here, so what is everyone's #1, all-time favorite anime series? (not movie)

Internet sucks too much for me to actually browse for an image, so...
image.php

I never expected I'd like the Monogatari series as much as I did. It is 90% dialogue, has some creepy fanservice aspects and revolves around a young male high school guy who suddenly finds himself surrounded by a bunch of girls amidst supernatural apparitions and phenomena... and it freaking rocks.

The characters are basically awfully generic anime stereotypes: aggressive tsundere Senjougahara, good-looking know-it-all class rep Hanekawa, grade schooler Hachikuji, 500 year old vampire loli Shinobu, teasing bi girl Suruga, moeblob Nadeko, pervy highschooler Koyomi... but the way they interact with each other helped develop them in really interesting ways, and most of those big changes were caused by them talking to and bouncing oppinions off of each other (often with Koyomi as mediator). The show's really introspective (even though we often get to hear only Koyomi's side of things), and did awesome stuff such as making an interesting moeblob character (Nadeko's arc was just great), and showing the cast as complex and multi-faceted to the point that even card-carrying villain Kaiki gets to show us his side of the story in a really satisfying conclussion to one of the bigger story arcs the anime has aired so far (and things even look a bit more normal from his PoV than from Koyomi's!).

All this happens while the characers' episode-long dialogues never get stale due to the combination between Nisio's clever writing and the dynamism Shaft's animation lended to those scenes, even though I agree that things got a bit worse beginning with Nise due to the director (?) stepping down, and only coming back for the amazing Kizumonogatari movies, which made me wish we could get more of him and his style in the mainline anime rather than others playing off of the techniques he used in Bake.

My only gripe with the series is that I don't think I can honestly recommend it to other people because of the fanservice, which can get pretty grating if you aren't fully invested into the other elements the show has.

Sterok

Thunderbolt Fantasy 1

Puppet action > anime action. Opening is off to a good start, and as far as I'm concerned Urobuchi can do no wrong, so this looks very promising.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Thunderbolt Fantasy 1

Puppet action > anime action. Opening is off to a good start, and as far as I'm concerned Urobuchi can do no wrong, so this looks very promising.

Aldnoah Zero was a thing that happened, even the best of us have our whiffs.

My favorite is probably Bakemonogatari (and the rest of the series... but Bake is still my favorite). Love the characters, dialogue, and art style it has going on. After that I'd probably go with Giant Robo and Hibike.

Sterok

Aldnoah Zero was a thing that happened, even the best of us have our whiffs.

Never saw it, don't care to, so I'm just going to pretend someone else messed up everything Urobuchi didn't touch, like the weaker parts of Psycho Pass and Gargantia.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Never saw it, don't care to, so I'm just going to pretend someone else messed up everything Urobuchi didn't touch, like the weaker parts of Psycho Pass and Gargantia.

Probably for the best, though the words Fuck Slain are useful none the less.

For me #1 is a toss up between Ping Pong, Steins;Gate, Madoka Magica and Hunter X Hunter. If I would pick one, probably pick Hunter X Hunter.

Sterok

Madoka Magica is my favorite anime by the way. Butcher + magical girls = my perfect combination.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2-3

Ooh, they're going on an adventure. Haven't had a good one for awhile. All the characters are great and entertaining. Gui Nao knows how to play everyone, Juan brings the energy, Shou really knows how to use a bow, and Dan Hei has an excellent elegance. Shang Bu is great for how he shot down that appeal to tradition. Either that super sword should be able to drive off intruders, or it's not worth the hassle.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
who would have known all the #1 anime would have been made in the last five-ish years? what a time to be alive.

Quasar

who would have known all the #1 anime would have been made in the last five-ish years? what a time to be alive.

Well old animation dates itself like video games and not like film. That said a recent rewatch of Robotech made it clear I'm not totally biased against old anime. Though maybe nostalgia helps there.

Meanwhile on MAL its wall to wall Gintama.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
All but one of the top ten anime ever came out after 2009 so it'd be weird if it wasn't up there.
I mean the two best anime movies of all time came out this year. Studio Ghibli tried really hard for over twenty years to make great anime movies but it just wasn't enough.
Well old animation dates itself like video games and not like film.
What...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Well technically, if the english anime enthusiast community is to be believed, Dennou Coil's genesis dates as far back as 1997.

Haikyuu S3 3

It feels like every season the anime production just gets better and better. The storyboarding here stays surprisingly fresh for being set all in one room, the character art is fantastic, and the new music is delivering on an even higher level with greater variety and invention. It's a shame we're supposedly at the point where the anime can't continue after this season due to a lack of source material.

Top anime of all time...if not including movies (Laputa would win then) I would have to give it to Great Teacher Onizuka. Yes the anime adaption is a bit flawed compared to manga, but I still love it so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom