• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

tumblr_o3h7lzGYHC1qet0cro1_540.gif

yay!

Aki-at

What a way to start Monday with DTL return.

Okaeri!

Polar Bear's Cafe - 1 (Rewatch)

Over the weekend I've had the pleasure of trying to introduce people to this series, I've got my nephew, my two anime friends and a couple of cosplayers into it, soon everyone will know the brilliance of this show!

Going back and watching episode one and it's still really well done, the characters all have their own unique style, the use of colours and the scenery at the cafe is great, the music just works so well and the content of each episode doesn't try to rely on one consistent gag (Except Polar Bear's love of a good pun) and it always flows so well. Also best next week previews I've seen.

More people should watch this show.

(The only downside about this series was how the creator was treated by the publisher, a real life Shirobako second half situation)

Thanks ^_^

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On: Episode 1 (enddub)

Great dub, Lute sounds awesome (though I also like his JPN voice), though Cheval seems to have gotten my second favorite voice and Hyoro's brother got another good voice.

The OP song is one of my favorite of the seasons. I cant wait for the full version.

I was been rewatching Inuyasha and I'm at 51. So far I had all the events in such a messed up order in my head. For exemple, Inuyasha going full demon happened way later then I expected and I was so sure the band of 7 were much sooner.

The weakest part about Inuyasha so far is really only the early parts were they introduce the characters. Once these are done, the show goes pretty smoothly.

Also I remembered Miroku touching Sango's butt way more, but so far It's pretty tame. it like happened 3 times max.

Overall I'm enjoying this a lot, since It's been a long long while since I last watched Inuyasha (maybe 8-10 years)and I missed a bunch of episode as a kid, It's almost all new stuff for me.

ClassicaLoid Episode 4
download_1.png
download.png
download_2.png

Face game was on point this episode.

After two episodes that were pretty dull, this one actually worked for me. Watching Franz respond in a mix of stoic confusion to the world, seeing danger where there was none, but leaving a trail of mayhem in his wake was great. Not sure if the production hit a snag, or if they brought in a new director for this episode, but it looked much more pleasant than the previous two.

The Great Passage - 03

So much good character animation. Particularly impressed for the effort put into background characters. CGI crowds always stand out so badly and having none of those here is nice.

blurr

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 07-08

I really enjoy the music in the show.

It's nice to see it correlate DJ-ing with a culinary other than Tonkatsu further expanding on the spectrum.

This is a unique show going by the art style, transitions and presentation paired with the theme but it is something I'd watch in little doses so I am glad it is a short series. I tend to value good writing, dialogue work and characters; this isn't that sort of a show which isn't inherently a bad thing.

phaze

Soul Eater 1-10
So after some rough beginnings, as the Soul/Black Star/Kid combo of obnoxiousness was a bit too much to handle and made me drop it for a while, this has hit the groove for me. It doesn't really do anything amazing script wise but even with its somewhat aimless and unfocused nature so far, it tugs along nicely (and with the appearance of what looks like a major villain it seems the introductory phase is behind me.) It's yet another Igarashi helmed show where I eat up his stylistic flourishments and comedy, which, after really bad start, got much better. (Black Star/Soul vs Kid had some amazing moments). I'm also loving the art direction, it's got this superb cartoony halloween vibe that even some CG background usage doesn't sully. I've long heard tales of how horrific the ending is so I'm keeping my expectation in check but so far so decent enough.
Random things:
  • Excalibur will end up being some super badass won't he ?
  • The Opening is stellar.
  • Power of Friendship Gattai was based.

duckroll

ClassicaLoid Episode 4

After two episodes that were pretty dull, this one actually worked for me. Watching Franz respond in a mix of stoic confusion to the world, seeing danger where there was none, but leaving a trail of mayhem in his wake was great. Not sure if the production hit a snag, or if they brought in a new director for this episode, but it looked much more pleasant than the previous two.

Is this the Akihiko Yamashita episode?

I'm going to guess that I did not as mine was just a standard length?
Yeah, there's an extended cut that shows the entirety of the Hawaii battle as well as some additional slice-of-life island scenes. It sets up the whole of Exodus really well, and is worth looking into.

Qurupeke

Soul Eater 1-10

I'd suggest reading the manga, but you've already watched 10 episodes, so enjoy the inferior version I suppose. At least it seems you enjoy the visuals, which is a good enough (and probably the only) reason to watch this.

It's not even that the manga is that great, though I think it's one of my favourite shounens because of its style and vibe, but the anime completely butchers any attempt of a cohesive story and character development, and it manages to come up with an ending that makes the manga's mediocre finale fantastic in comparison...

Ascheroth

I'd suggest reading the manga, but you've already watched 10 episodes, so enjoy the inferior version I suppose. At least it seems you enjoy the visuals, which is a good enough (and probably the only) reason to watch this.

It's not even that the manga is that great, though I think it's one of my favourite shounens because of its style and vibe, but the anime completely butchers any attempt of a cohesive story and character development, and it manages to come up with an ending that makes the manga's mediocre finale fantastic in comparison...

As long as it covers the manga the anime is pretty good iirc. It's only when it goes off into original territory that it starts shitting the bed.
But yeah, the manga is nice. As you said, I really like the style, vibe and the general insanity in everything.

The Medusa arc in Soul Eater is pretty dope. Too bad it fumbles Arachne at the end. Really good soundtrack too, basically a Persona soundtrack

Also Ohkubo's new manga (Fire Fighter thing) is bad, sadly

phaze

Gargantia could have been a masterpiece if it trimmed down the design by committee aspects (episode 5 mostly) and had more episodes to work with, but instead it was merely a "very good" show that felt a bit rushed in places. The OVAs fix a little of this with some flashback scenes that fill in what should have been 1-2 episodes of additional development and exploring the world that Gargantia takes place in, I recommend checking them out if you have the chance. Sadly the planned sequel that they were supposed to lead into ended up being canceled, and the fact that there won't be any more after so much effort was put into the world and character design (I have the art books for this show and it's like 800 huge pages of design material with a lot of pages having 3+ designs on them) feels like such a waste.

More Gargantia is certainly welcome, will check it out, thanks.

I've heard the manga ending is supposed to be even worse then the anime one. lol

Depending on how it works out I might check manga out but I'm watching it as a part of my Igarashi quest right + it's generally anime >>> manga for me, if anime is at least competently done and paced which SE so far certainly is.

Soul Eater anime is better up to when it stops following the manga. The Book of Eibon arc in the Manga and the ending to the Arachne arc are good but everything after that is ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Although the manga has the "Just a Simple Story About Killing People" chapter so its easy to make the argument its better

I stumbled upon this video: Kyousougiga Explained: In-depth Synopsis and got to say this was a nicely structured video and pleasant to listen to. And while a bunch of stuff this guy says is, as he stresses himself, conjecture, I certainly did get a better grip on the Kyousougiga's story.

So, if you're interested in all things Kyousougiga I recommend giving it a try at least.

Also gotta rewatch Kyousougiga some time. One of my favorites after all.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 061

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGp9P6QvMjY

Ok, now I see why this series can only be halfway over at this point. We are going into the Guerilla Insurgency postgame!

Tactical Genius of Yang Wen-Li + Guerilla tactics of Schenkopp and the Rosenritter + Support of the people + Trying to slide in the execution of a public figure under the occupying Empires nose = bad ideas! Good job stoking those flames, dumbasses!

pbayne

Fuck why did the calendar people make Halloween fall on a Monday?

Ghost Hound 1-3

Zero ghost hound sightings so far. The OP makes it look like they literally fight ghosts and ill say it now if that happens fuck this show.

Anyway intrigued by it more than anything else and i want to see how it goes. Some nice attempts to do subtle facial animation(though i think anime always has a pretty low ceiling for that) and a few genuinely unsettling scenes so far.

Bit worried that its 22 episodes ie time to over complicate things. Seems the type of show that would be better off being tighter 13 episode series.

Alright when Taro
was being chased by that headless thing
, i was legit freaked out.

Taruranto

Trickster #5

This episode was surprisingly non terrible (as much non-terrible this show could be), but I have one thing to say:
2tpLJqp.jpg

I think Nomura should take him back before some other writer/designer makes him his husbando and he starts to insert him in his works.

You are playing a dangerous game, Trickster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom