• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I had to drop it at episode 10 or so, because the mysteries got too dump even for anime.

Well then, hopefully, they stay entertaining at least.

I watched it all, and it was okay. It does go for melodrama later on, but I still think you might want to keep watching it.

Yeah, I'll stick with it and see where it goes. There already appears to be a possible romance in here, but it is anime, so something supernatural will get in the way, lol. Either way, the two leads are interesting enough for now.
(Completely joking about the cliff-hanger crap though. I wish there was an e-sarcasm button...)

Did you just use the same image for episodes 1 and 2? Lol

Dammit, cutting and pasting links is difficult, ok, leave me alone...

7766ca4792af19a8754b96ff98c51eec.jpg

jonjonaug

Utapri 5: Not bad for a Cecil episode but the visuals for the song were boring, staff went "what do we even do with these guys" and gave up.

sonicmj1

I haven't listened to the commentary track for UtD yet, but I feel that a summary like that is probably misleading, especially if it is largely based on subtitles. I feel that in commentary tracks with creative and animation staff for anime, there's a lot of dry wit nofucksgiven self-depreciating humor, but it gets more "professional" when the commentary track is with VAs and producers because they have more of a public image to upkeep.

You're right that the tone of the commentary (and a lot of the negative comments I ripped) isn't very serious. It sounded like working with present-day military stuff was tougher than they expected (unlike future guns, "the real guns got all these small things mounted onto them"), but I didn't get the impression that it was an utterly joyless experience. Even if it wasn't as much fun for them as Sword of the Stranger.

Quasar

Finished watching the Under the Dog commentary.

Highlights:

Doesn't sound like there's going to be any more Under the Dog in the future. I'm sure you're all heartbroken.

Well I would have liked more. It seemed like a decent enough pilot for a show. And I would have liked it to have been more successful just so we'd see more people trying this route. Especially for stuff not normally covered by TV anime now. Like some Josei.

Yahari Zoku Ova

Yeah more 8man is great! Iroha doing iroha things but that sad smile at the end really hit me. Hopefully they adapt the last books if they ever come out.

Quasar

I think we're getting more UtD though. Didn't you guys see the new update about a new partnership? :p

:)

If I'm honest after the release update I haven't really followed the updates. Didn't even know there was a commentary update till it was posted here. Should read my emails more :)

Sterok

Thunderbolt Fantasy 13

That was lovely. A briskly paced adventure filled with memorable characters (except some of the villains), a number of interesting twists, and a dash of philosophy thrown in. I did not know you could do those kinds of things with puppets, but it gave it a unique look and some of the best action I've seen in ages. Great show. Hard to imagine I'll see anything better this year.

Clov

I finally ended up getting BDs of Only Yesterday and part one of Zeta Gundam. I might have some time to rewatch some of Zeta Gundam tomorrow, though I'll be saving Only Yesterday for Friday. Really excited to watch that treat again!

JulianImp

Yeah, I'll stick with it and see where it goes. There already appears to be a possible romance in here, but it is anime, so something supernatural will get in the way, lol. Either way, the two leads are interesting enough for now.
(Completely joking about the cliff-hanger crap though. I wish there was an e-sarcasm button...)

I might end up being off the mark, but I'd say it's the kind of show you'll probably end up liking.

Jarmel

Banned

Did you forget?

backers who pledge at the $20 reward tier and higher will also have digital access to any future Under the Dog animations that we produce. That means if we fund here and only create the 24 min. OVA, if we go on (as we plan to) to make a film or trilogy of films, then the backers who pledged here for $20 or more will also be able to download those films!

duckroll

Did you forget?

Don't count on it. I'm pretty sure that along with other nonsensical unrealistic promise Yura made were thrown out when the new production team took over.

Q: What does this new partnership signify?

A: It means that Under the Dog project will enter into a new stage. The original Kickstarter project will also come to its completion with the delivery of rewards. (Support will continue until the spring of 2017.)

Edit: Found it: http://under-the-dog.com/en/news/qa36/

(4) Will the promise that “all future installments” in the franchise will be digitally distributed to backers who backed above/at the $20 be upheld even though the producers have changed?

A: As we did not reach the stretch goal (2nd goal at $1.16 million) after reaching our initial goal of $580k (thanks to all the backers!), there is no plan currently to produce future installments. However, we do realize that it is important to make it clear where the extra funds are going to be spent on. Please give us some time before we can make any announcement on this.

Basically "lol no".

Buddy Complex 1-2
Stumbled on the OST and remembered I had been planning to watch this eventually. Things sure escalated with the immediate back-and-forth time travel, straight into a robot fight. All this cheesy terminology like Coupling and Proposing is fucking great, though. Gives me the stupidest fucking grin on my face.

Exalted

Hm a new episode of Bungo, does Crunchyroll release these just whenever it feels like it? The last 3 episodes released all on different days.

Buddy Complex 1-2

Stumbled on the OST and remembered I had been planning to watch this eventually. Things sure escalated with the immediate back-and-forth time travel, straight into a robot fight. All this cheesy terminology like Coupling and Proposing is fucking great, though. Gives me the stupidest fucking grin on my face.
I really liked this show and it still is a shame it never got a second season to properly end.

Ascheroth

Digimon Appli Monsters #5

Haha, Eri is a fun character. It was pretty amusing how Haru and Gatchmon just sneaked inside a TV station to meet her like it was the obvious thing to do. I'm glad she pretty much instantly became an ally without much drama.
The preview also looks pretty promising. I'm a sucker for moments when the normal friends of the main character realize he's casually hanging out with a famous person.

Quasar

Magical Girl Raising Project or Izetta; the Last Witch.

Well, those would be 1-2 for me, not sure how I feel about this season compared to the last few at this point.

For me its the best season in at least a year. More excellent shows than I have time for. Izetta being one of the shows I've dropped just for time.

Cornbread78

For me its the best season in at least a year. More excellent shows than I have time for. Izetta being one of the shows I've dropped just for time.

Yeah, there are a few shiws I haven't started yet, like Eupho; I just wasn't totally in love with the show last year like so many others. I did have it in my top 10, but...

I'll get to it eventually, like I'm doing with Mob Psycho now.

Flip Flappers and Haikyuu are the best shows this season

Flip Flappers was up there for me, but I've had to knock it down a few levels when compared to other shows.

Haikyu and Occultic;Nine are the best show this season.

Gundam is also cool but it would be third.

I'll had that this was a strong year of anime for me. Each season had at leat 3 big shows right in my alley.

I'm not feeling any kind of particular adoration for any specific show this season and am just just enjoying the bunch I have on my list. I guess the best would probably be Haikyuu and Eupho. Www. working!! is also pretty damn enjoyable. Then there is The Great Passage and Sangatsu, which are good but haven't done anything yet that makes me go "woah" (although the former does have really good animation for a show with a subject matter as mundane as the making of a dictionary). Gundam IBO S2 is more Gundam so you hate it or love it, and Occultic;Nine has had its problems but it's proving to be an intriguing watch.

It's an okay season, but I don't think I'll have to revise my AOTY much (thankfully) aside for one or two shows, unless something extremely radical happens in more of them.

Moaradin

Haikyu and Occultic;Nine are the best show this season.

Gundam is also cool but it would be third.

I'll had that this was a strong year of anime for me. Each season had at leat 3 big shows right in my alley.

Did Occultic;Nine improve that much to be mentioned in the same breath as Haikyuu? I saw the first episode and was immediately turned off.

Did Occultic;Nine improve that much to be mentioned in the same breath as Haikyuu? I saw the first episode and was immediately turned off.

I wouldn't put it as far up the ladder as Haikyuu, but yes, the improvements were like night and day, if only because the following episodes don't go on at breakneck speed.

Buddy Complex 1-2

Yes buddy complex is one of the best mecha. Please keep watching. The main battle theme music for it is the best.

I still love Choucho's song too

phaze

Bungou Stray Dogs 17

You'd think that after the first dozen of times when Atsushi and Kyouka were targeted by Mafia when roaming around the city someone would lock them up but nooooooo. Not really a fan of what looks like Kyouka arc redux either.

Soul Eater 11-12

Hey, this was pretty great. A Tsubaki&Black Star mini arc that sheds some light on their respective backstories, capped off with some marvelous animation

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fellow olds, time to reminsice!

Staff and Cast Reminisce on "Martian Successor Nadesico" 20 Years Later

On October 1st, 1996, the anime series Martian Successor Nadesico began airing in Japan. Two decades later, on this past October 1st, the director, producer, and primary cast of the show came together for an event celebrating the series' twentieth anniversary.

The event brought together director Tatsuo Satō, producer Takatoshi Chino, and lead actors Yūji Ueda (Akito Tenkawa), Houko Kuwashima (Yurika Misumaru), and Omi Minami (Ruri Hoshino). On stage, the cast and staff members reminisced about the series and their experiences with it.

Chino: I've had a chance to be involved with several original anime series, but with Nadesico, the sheer depth and volume of the script was quite a lot. It was impressive that [director Satō] Tastuo was able to put all that together into a storyboard. That's not to say that's either a positive or a negative of the script, but it's hard to encounter another series with that kind of challenge. Even when I work on one, I often find myself feeling that there's something lacking. It was a feat that we managed to make the series and it's in no small part thanks to the writers and episode directors. Looking over the staff list now, it's become a Who's Who of people who've gone on to become big players.

Looking back on their experiences with the series, the cast recalled the biggest impressions they got from acting in the series.

Kuwashima: For me, it was when I was told to sing. I had to come up with something random to sing, like a fishing song. I was also told, "Yurika probably can't sing very well" and was told to sing badly which ended up causing problems later.

Satō: That's the episode Mr. Sakurai directed. Mr. Sakurai was saying, "We can't use this! Yurika should be able to sing better than this!"

Kuwashima: It half felt like playing, but it was like playing seriously... There was this kind of passion. You couldn't tell what would be requested of you until you went in.

Ueda: It was an original story and we couldn't tell where it was going, so all we could do was feel our way along and act episode to episode. You'd think it was a slapstick comedy, but then you find out the people they're fighting aren't the aliens you thought they were but are, in fact, former Earthlings, and something that's made fun of on Earth has become a sacred scripture for them. When you think about it, it's a chilling story. It's because of that depth that going into the serious tone of the movie didn't feel that strange at all.

Sounds like moving to batch online distribution would be for the best. Though I imagine that would not be so easy (initially) and have it's own problems.

Line_HTX

TRIGGER Inc. ‏@trigger_inc 8h8 hours ago

I hope everyone enjoyed Halloween!
Our honored guest illustrator for November is Sasamori Tomoe!
@sasamomi

773d8895141ab42bbd8aeb5e9aaf7a111478003995_full.png

They got another ero-artist for their monthly art, this time a family-friendly Thanksgiving.

heh, was going to share that as well; more on how accurate Shirobako was

Shirobako was created by people in the anime industry after all; you'd think they'd know how the industry operates!

So when will we get the true version if both versions still have issues? If we ever do?

As usual, the BD discs will have the final version of all episodes, with whatever further polishing the staff are able to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom