• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of 80's OVA, I watched Vampire Hunter D and woof is it bad. Not even any good action to compensate for the sexism and just poor story. Some bad editing at times too. The characters talk and act like they are in a condensed novel adaptation or something. (Sarc.) There is gore sakuga and some nice shots but that's about it of value.

If Under the Dog is supposed to be representative of how awesome 80s and 90s action OVA were then maybe we should re evaluate them.

There was a time a few years ago when I watched a bunch of 80s and early 90s OVAs and let me tell you, most of that stuff is hot garbage. We certainly don't need people today trying to bring back the era of Dog Soldier and Crystal Triangle.

Show By Rock S2 05

Is the enemy band really called BUD VIRGIN LOGIC

Getsuyoubi no Tawawa 04

From what I can tell the main plot of this anime is that every week a girl and a guy ride the same train on Monday and the girl gives the guy a button that pops off her shirts because her tits are too big.

What a fucking tease

There was a time a few years ago when I watched a bunch of 80s and early 90s OVAs and let me tell you, most of that stuff is hot garbage. We certainly don't need people today trying to bring back the era of Dog Soldier and Crystal Triangle.

We do need to bring back Mad Bull 34 though

Hm... Crystal Triangle, eh?

*adds to list of stuff to watch*

Hm... Crystal Triangle, eh?

*adds to list of stuff to watch*

In times of olde, God gave mankind the ten commandments, and a message that has been lost to the centuries. In the present, Koichiro Kamishiro is a modern day Indiana Jones who scours (and often destroys) ruins for hints of the past, until one day he runs across a box filled with two crystal triangles. Having inadvertently run across the key to God's lost message, Kamishiro suddenly has a lot to deal with including assassination attempts by the KGB and the CIA, aliens hell-bent on destroying the Earth and the love of several women!

With a synopsis like that, how could you go wrong?

ibyea

Banned
The story is not about the lunch being delivered. This is a story about filling voids and that heavily colors the how, why, and who of Hinata's love. The type of person Hinata falls for can mean a lot in stories like this. When the price of the lunch comes up in relation to the money they spend feeding Rei you see his integration into this surrogate family questioned. There is an expectation to share and provide for one another when people are related, but the show is presenting questions about that for familial sort of bonds that form for people who are not directly related.

Also there is stuff to think about with how Rei's past influences how he interacts with women, but these things are gross and kind of trashy so I don't feel like going in depth on them.

You are good at this. ^_^ Anyways, for my part I didn't like the episode very much. I guess all those details just flew by me.

ibyea

Banned
I stumbled upon this video: Kyousougiga Explained: In-depth Synopsis and got to say this was a nicely structured video and pleasant to listen to. And while a bunch of stuff this guy says is, as he stresses himself, conjecture, I certainly did get a better grip on the Kyousougiga's story.

So, if you're interested in all things Kyousougiga I recommend giving it a try at least.

Also gotta rewatch Kyousougiga some time. One of my favorites after all.

I really liked that show, so thanks for sharing!

phaze

I stumbled upon this video: Kyousougiga Explained: In-depth Synopsis and got to say this was a nicely structured video and pleasant to listen to. And while a bunch of stuff this guy says is, as he stresses himself, conjecture, I certainly did get a better grip on the Kyousougiga's story.

So, if you're interested in all things Kyousougiga I recommend giving it a try at least.

Also gotta rewatch Kyousougiga some time. One of my favorites after all.

Hitting the bed right now but will check it tomorrow.

Fuck why did the calendar people make Halloween fall on a Monday?

Ghost Hound 1-3

Zero ghost hound sightings so far. The OP makes it look like they literally fight ghosts and ill say it now if that happens fuck this show.

Anyway intrigued by it more than anything else and i want to see how it goes. Some nice attempts to do subtle facial animation(though i think anime always has a pretty low ceiling for that) and a few genuinely unsettling scenes so far.

Bit worried that its 22 episodes ie time to over complicate things. Seems the type of show that would be better off being tighter 13 episode series.

Alright when Taro
was being chased by that headless thing
, i was legit freaked out.
There's next to no proper fights in the show iirc, don't worry about it.

download.png

How would you even aim this?

Narag

Speaking of 80's OVA, I watched Vampire Hunter D and woof is it bad. Not even any good action to compensate for the sexism and just poor story. Some bad editing at times too. The characters talk and act like they are in a condensed novel adaptation or something. (Sarc.) There is gore sakuga and some nice shots but that's about it of value.

That's because it is a condensed novel adaptation. It also improves greatly on that first Vampire Hunter D novel. The 2000 movie is similar in that regard as the novel its based on is really bad and needed reworked to end up with a serviceable story.

download.png

How would you even aim this?

Most dangerously.

That's because it is a condensed novel adaptation. It also improves greatly on that first Vampire Hunter D novel. The 2000 movie is similar in that regard as the novel its based on is really bad and needed reworked to end up with a serviceable story.
Yikes. I can only imagine how bad the novel must be.

Narag

Yikes. I can only imagine how bad the novel must be.

One day when I'm feeling up to it, I'll end up making a post about why 1:1 adaptations aren't necessarily a good thing and using these as example. Rei-Ginsei was substantially improved in the OVA since he's rolled into Magnus Lee's service and has this sort of resentment due to a long standing possibility at joining the Nobility. In the book, he and his buds (the giant, the spider guy, and the flying guy) are all just this band of outlaws that show up to be do bad things since bad guys do that sort of thing. It creates this annoying third faction and D rescuing Dan becomes this boring little sidequest to show off how awesome D is.

He also gets a power suit later and is the one to take out D with the stake and it's all so very ???. The novel had all sorts of weird tech for the Nobility to illustrate how advanced they were. Where the OVA adaptation worked was it created this sort of divide where technology tended toward the humans and the mysterious and arcane was, for the most part, delegated to Magnus Lee's side with D appropriately bridging this divide.

Aki-at

I had the papercraft designs for those an age ago (Well at least Polar Bear himself). Never got round to making it though. Maybe I should dig it up.

Man I did not even think about that being a possibility, going to hunt down those so I've got other cute stuff to put near my chibi Godzilla and starter Pokemon figures.

Taruranto

Ghoust Hound is an absolutely fantastic, but holy fuck, does the ending suck and craps all over the storyline.

Even knowing it was going to have a terrible ending in advance, I wasn't ready for that shitfest.

Cornbread78

Gosick ep.1
Ok, I'm already pretty interested in this from that first episode. Does it play through the mystery throughout, or does it tackle multiple mysteries? Also, who is this girl and what are her powers?

One day when I'm feeling up to it, I'll end up making a post about why 1:1 adaptations aren't necessarily a good thing and using these as example. Rei-Ginsei was substantially improved in the OVA since he's rolled into Magnus Lee's service and has this sort of resentment due to a long standing possibility at joining the Nobility. In the book, he and his buds (the giant, the spider guy, and the flying guy) are all just this band of outlaws that show up to be do bad things since bad guys do that sort of thing. It creates this annoying third faction and D rescuing Dan becomes this boring little sidequest to show off how awesome D is.

He also gets a power suit later and is the one to take out D with the stake and it's all so very ???. The novel had all sorts of weird tech for the Nobility to illustrate how advanced they were. Where the OVA adaptation worked was it created this sort of divide where technology tended toward the humans and the mysterious and arcane was, for the most part, delegated to Magnus Lee's side with D appropriately bridging this divide.
That's interesting. Sounds like they tried, even if the final result still had incoherence.

Theonik

This is a public service announcement. As some of you may have noticed my list mirror is dead. Please be assured we have top mofus working in its restoration and it will be back with you shortly.
When I can be arsed to setup this DNS

Cornbread78

why would you watch gosick.

It made me go sick.

Ahhhh hahahaha...... * you cant really covey sarcastic laughs on a forum* awkwardsmile.gif

It's been on my list forever and I needed sonething to replace Wolf's Rain, but I knew I wouldn't have enough time to finish tonight, so I thought I check out the first couple episodes...

Is it bad?

Poco's Udon World 1-2

So this is basically Barakamon with a Tanuki boy and its cute and I like it so far but theres something off about it. For some reason, it doesnt give me that warm and fuzzy feeling that Barakamon and Non Non Biyori did. It definitely tries to hit those nostalgia notes but it doesnt really work for some reason. I think this show tries to over do the cute.

Like Poco squeals or cries all the time and its just...too much. I get it, its a cute kid but just let things happen organically through interactions.

Either way its a decent watch so I'll probably continue. I like the OP at least.

Taruranto

why would you watch gosick.

It made me go sick.
Ahhhh hahahaha...... * you cant really covey sarcastic laughs on a forum* awkwardsmile.gif

It's been on my list forever and I needed sonething to replace Wolf's Rain, but I knew I wouldn't have enough time to finish tonight, so I thought I check out the first couple episodes...

Is it bad?

I had to drop it at episode 10 or so, because the mysteries got too dump even for anime.

Sterok

Thunderbolt Fantasy 9

I'm impressed by how easily and simply this went from a fun, if deadly, adventure to a cynical con where everyone is just out for themselves. Really good plotting overall.

sonicmj1

Finished watching the Under the Dog commentary.

Highlights:

• Arguing about proper suppressed gunfire sound effects
  • Complaining about how hard it is to draw 2D guns
  • The screenwriter, Koyanagi Keigo being an total pervert, checking out the schoolgirls at really random times.
  • They actually bleep out a particular word in the commentary track that I can only guess is "gaijin"
  • They point out the three character designs that come from the backers. One of them is the first soldier killed by Hana. They thought he'd like it, but apparently at the premiere screening he had a more mixed reaction.
  • During the scene of Hana holding out on the stairway with her pistol, animation director Masahiro Sato complained about how tedious it was animating everything. "Do you have any fun memories of it?" Ando asks. "No, I don't have any."
  • When even Sato complained about the work, Ando decided (joked?) that he's never doing a real-world modern-day piece again. Everyone else agrees. It's too much work.
  • At the convention premiere, a Kinema Citrus producer felt the need to apologize to the American audience for all the soldiers that get killed. Everyone was like, "Don't worry about it, we see this all the time in movies."
  • Surprising no one, they worked on the second half of the OVA first to make sure all the action scenes looked good.
  • Hidetsugu Ito handled pretty much all the explosions. After seeing his work elsewhere, Ando wanted to make something where he could use those explosions.
  • After everyone working on the commentary introduces themselves, Ando says, "It was a tedious work." At the end, they express relief that they're not going to have to do more of this. Military stuff is hard.

Doesn't sound like there's going to be any more Under the Dog in the future. I'm sure you're all heartbroken.

KraytarJ

Trigun Movie
After finishing up the series recently I decided to give this thing a go, and it was actually way better than I expected. I really liked how someone finally brought up the moral consequences of Vash's actions, both in how letting someone live can harm countless people but also allow the birth of another. It was nice to see Wolfwood again after how the series ended with him. Overall I'm just left feeling sad, sad that it's all over now. The series and the movie were both excellent and it feels a little empty to be done with it now. Its overall a great show and Vash is probably one of my favourite anime characters ever.

Highlights:

Doesn't sound like there's going to be any more Under the Dog in the future. I'm sure you're all heartbroken.

Man, that sounds like such a disaster. I can't be happy about this existing if not even Ando and company are happy about it existing.

(I do find it amusing that the producer thought Americans would get offended by American soldiers getting killed.)

Yuri On Ice Episode 2 (engdub)
CwJIMYaXEAAcq2L.jpg:small

Yurio is still the best Yuri and I will always love him in this shirt. Also his anger stuff is sometimes funny especially when he is suddenly not wanting to be a part of things, but then swiftly changes his mind (room scene when he goes in the closet, then jumps out wanting food and to bath).

Yuri wanting to just keep winning and eating pork cutlet bowls with Victor is the best line though. Excellent motivation.

Thoraxes

Haykyuu!! S3 - 04

TSUKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

YAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I jumped out of my seat yelling "fuck yeah!" while fist-pumping. That was awesome.

Highlights:

• During the scene of Hana holding out on the stairway with her pistol, animation director Masahiro Sato complained about how tedious it was animating everything. "Do you have any fun memories of it?" Ando asks. "No, I don't have any."

You know, I appreciate the blunt honesty of that.

-Minsc-

Trigun Movie
After finishing up the series recently I decided to give this thing a go, and it was actually way better than I expected. I really liked how someone finally brought up the moral consequences of Vash's actions, both in how letting someone live can harm countless people but also allow the birth of another. It was nice to see Wolfwood again after how the series ended with him. Overall I'm just left feeling sad, sad that it's all over now. The series and the movie were both excellent and it feels a little empty to be done with it now. Its overall a great show and Vash is probably one of my favourite anime characters ever.

I can dream of a Trigun: Maximum anime.

Bungo Stray Dogs Episode 17
CwJMzsSWYAAAVhh.jpg:small

Tanizaki is back, best.

The new guild members are pretty compelling, though some were unnamed. Thus far, I like John S, and then the other dude. Cant wait to see how this three way offensive will go down.
CwJP-tjXYAAq9jO.jpg
CwJQiN4WIAArTEs.jpg

Aki-at

Trigun Movie

You know what this means right?

Time to read the manga which the anime splinters off from and has it's own storyline and epic gunfights and cool character designs.

I can dream of a Trigun: Maximum anime.

Why'd you have to bring me down realising we're never getting that.

Cornbread78

Gosick ep.2
Well, this went places pretty damn quickly. I didn't think thr mystery would quite get that crazy, but it's actually pretty interesting stuff. Although, I shoukd just drop this now because of that damn cliff -hanger. We all know they ruin shows completely, lol.

JulianImp

Gosick ep.2

Well, this went places pretty damn quickly. I didn't think thr mystery would quite get that crazy, but it's actually pretty interesting stuff. Although, I shoukd just drop this now because of that damn cliff -hanger. We all know they ruin shows completely, lol.

I watched it all, and it was okay. It does go for melodrama later on, but I still think you might want to keep watching it.

turmoil

Banned
I, My, Me - Strawberry Eggs!

It's a good story about gender issues, and it has good gag characters like the pervs, the dog (really cute) and the landlady(though she also have several serious moments in the plot too). My problems with it are the other side characters, I couldn't care less for the generic students' problems or the comically evil antagonists. And beware of low production values too. The best thing is the MC and how he confronts the problems that arise taking into account the wellbeing of his students too, though some resolutions feel forced to be honest.

Overall I enjoyed it, would recommend to people interested in its thematic and school settings.

Gosick ep.2

Did you just use the same image for episodes 1 and 2? Lol

duckroll

I haven't listened to the commentary track for UtD yet, but I feel that a summary like that is probably misleading, especially if it is largely based on subtitles. I feel that in commentary tracks with creative and animation staff for anime, there's a lot of dry wit nofucksgiven self-depreciating humor, but it gets more "professional" when the commentary track is with VAs and producers because they have more of a public image to upkeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom