• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

021324v5klu.jpg
021416lukg3.jpg
Someone watched way too much Twin Peaks.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Top: Japanese Okuyasu
Bottom: American Okuyasu

Beyond the Boundary 7

Gotta say, I like this show even more now. They nipped that Sakura drama in the bud much quicker than I expected. I'm so glad it wasn't some long, drawn out thing.

Also, because it needs to be said again, the music is fantastic. I'm gonna have to cop the soundtrack.

duckroll

I finally ordered Art of Shin Godzilla and the Garo movie BD from Amazon Japan. I was expecting the shipment to say first week of December. It says December 23. I was so confused.

Then I realized Art of Shin Godzilla has been delayed AGAIN from Nov 3 to Mid-Dec. Thanks Anno. Wtf.

duckroll

Okay it looks like at the start of August they first announced that it would be out at the end of August. Then it was delayed to mid September before getting delayed again to November 3 and now it's been delayed again to mid December.

I would not be surprised if I don't get it at all this year. I hope Amazon will ship Garo if they delay the book again. :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
image.php

image.php

image.php

There's a drama playing out under our very noses.

Okay it looks like at the start of August they first announced that it would be out at the end of August. Then it was delayed to mid September before getting delayed again to November 3 and now it's been delayed again to mid December.

I would not be surprised if I don't get it at all this year. I hope Amazon will ship Garo if they delay the book again. :(

If you want Garo earlier, can't you cancel this order and make a separate one with Garo alone?

Narag

Why not cancel the order and order Garo by itself?

Why doesn't Anno want to give me Eva?

Doesn't he want to see me happy?

ROFL

Haven't had all that much contact with Persona (though I think know what scenes you're speaking) of but the red colour palette, the short man dancing, the music all make me think of the black lodge scenes.

Is joke, theyre both references to the Black Lodge

Was Twin Peaks big in Japan? Or did something reference it that made Soul Eater, Deadly Premonition and Persona reference it?

Jex

[Fafner: Exodus] - 17

I have watched a dangerous amount of Fafner recently. I fear that I may be assimilated.

BluWacky

[Fafner: Exodus] - 17

I have watched a dangerous amount of Fafner recently. I fear that I may be assimilated.

Are you there????

(did you know that catchphrase was explained in a drama CD? Admittedly I haven't watched anything since Right of Left but I don't know/remember if it ever got mentioned elsewhere)

Jex

[Fafner: Exodus] - 17 END

Oh , Fafner. Of course.

Those bastards. It was pretty obvious that this was always going to be the outcome, but it's still pretty savage.
Are you there????

(did you know that catchphrase was explained in a drama CD? Admittedly I haven't watched anything since Right of Left but I don't know/remember if it ever got mentioned elsewhere)

Really? It's never brought up in the show. Also, what's taking you so long to get onto the great content!
Please don't tell me that abominable phrase is still in the show after +40 episodes !? It was already grating enough after 5.
Hey, it's one of the key phrases of the show, it's never going away! And to be fair, it gets re-worked multiple times to what I'd argue is great effect.

Exalted

Mushishi 5? - 22

Have almost finished S1 of Mushishi, and only have a few more episodes to go. I've been really enjoying this series, has to be one of the best fantasy/supernatural show i've ever watched. One thing i find interesting and was not really expecting before i started watching, is how few stories end with a ' true good ending' . A lot of the stories only conclude on a kinda positive note, with Ginko only being able to partially help people, or at a cost. And sometimes even when he manages to help, or save people, it might still just tell you at the end of the episode that this person has vanished or was banished a few months later or killed himself years later. It makes episodes more exciting, since you are never truly sure if he will manage to do his job or not, or how it will end.

Jex

Serious question though.

This radio:

Appeared one minute and 20 seconds into the 1st episode of Fafner.

I am around 960 minutes past the radio's 1st appearance and I still haven't got my flashback to this scene, although it has re-appeared in the credits.

What the hell, Fafner? Are we ever going to touch on this?

Thud

Rose of Versailles 12

Nobles skipping class. Oscar as a character is basically addressing the current problems that everyone seems to ignore. Basically keeping their distance from the populace while still receiving their benefits. Lenient behavior at court and advisers that don't their job. Oscar is definitely out of place and this episode is the first that shows this side.

Flea color is trending in 1777. Andre ditches Oscar and becomes the fashion expert confirmed.
Anyway major part of this episode was the Oscar vs Luigi confrontation. Clever bastards using the stained glass of the chapel. Goes to show that the nobles don't really use it, otherwise they should have replaced that part. Rip stained glass.

I'm liking what I see in this series, but it feels a bit flat with the characters. You get the impression in the opening that Oscar is really thorn between two different worlds. I'm not really seeing that yet in the episodes, she has her mind on one thing.

Something I found pretty powerful was the scene with Maria Theresa lamenting on how her daughter turned out to be. It set the mood and you already feel things are not okay. Even without knowing anything about french history, it becomes clear shit will hit the fan and a happy ending is not gonna happen.

Are you there????

There was a vague reference to that explanation in one of the Exodus episodes, but easily missed unless someone already knew about it from the side materials.
One of the characters talks about the original Festum invasion while the camera focuses on a Golden Record-like object in the background.

Serious question though.

This radio:

Appeared one minute and 20 seconds into the 1st episode of Fafner.

I am around 960 minutes past the radio's 1st appearance and I still haven't got my flashback to this scene, although it has re-appeared in the credits.

What the hell, Fafner? Are we ever going to touch on this?
I believe it was the focus of the Kazuki flashback when he first got Mark Sein. He and Soushi found and repaired a broken radio on the island. Open radio waves ended up calling the Festum and almost assimilated Soushi, so Kazuki saved him by wrecking his eye. Ensuing guilt and trauma led to him forgetting why he did it and ruined their friendship until the start of the series.

BluWacky

[Fafner: Exodus] - 17 END

Really? It's never brought up in the show. Also, what's taking you so long to get onto the great content!

I watched Dead Aggressor and Right of Left on original airing/release; I can't remember how, but somehow I knew that Ubakata was going to take the scripts back over after those first ten episodes (must have been someone in the know on Animesuki at the time) so I powered on through.

I tried to watch Heaven and Earth when it came out but I couldn't remember enough about the plot any more and it got put on the backburner. Exodus, therefore, was completely out!

It's another one to go on the backlog of things that will never, ever get watched, unfortunately.

I watched Dead Aggressor and Right of Left on original airing/release; I can't remember how, but somehow I knew that Ubakata was going to take the scripts back over after those first ten episodes (must have been someone in the know on Animesuki at the time) so I powered on through.

I tried to watch Heaven and Earth when it came out but I couldn't remember enough about the plot any more and it got put on the backburner. Exodus, therefore, was completely out!

It's another one to go on the backlog of things that will never, ever get watched, unfortunately.

That's too bad. Suffered through the roughness of original Fafner but won't get to see the franchise fully blossom. (And some of the best photography in anime in H+E and Exodus, really.)

Jex

[Fafner: Exodus] - 19

Yeah, I really cannot imagine or recommend watching this without watching literally all of the rest of the series. Everyone was right, there's nothing that you can skip or avoid because it all ties together.

Jarmel

Banned
[Fafner: Exodus] - 19

Yeah, I really cannot imagine or recommend watching this without watching literally all of the rest of the series. Everyone was right, there's nothing that you can skip or avoid because it all ties together.
It's kind of impressive as even the stuff you don't think would tie in, do.

Fafner's getting the Jexius seal of approval.

If it gets the Narag and/or the CorvoSol seal of approvals then it might get near the top of my anime priorities.

So how many approved people do you need to tell you it's OK to watch something before you'll watch it?

These are mostly in terms of mecha shows as these people have recommended me many other great shows in the past and have the experience of watching many other great shows of the genre like G Gundam, Shin Mazinger Z, Giant Robo, Getter Robo Armageddon, Eureka Seven, and so on.

Poco's Udon World 1-2

So this is basically Barakamon with a Tanuki boy and its cute and I like it so far but theres something off about it. For some reason, it doesnt give me that warm and fuzzy feeling that Barakamon and Non Non Biyori did. It definitely tries to hit those nostalgia notes but it doesnt really work for some reason. I think this show tries to over do the cute.

Like Poco squeals or cries all the time and its just...too much. I get it, its a cute kid but just let things happen organically through interactions.

Either way its a decent watch so I'll probably continue. I like the OP at least.

I feel you. The show is basically my Wife's bait, she loves it, even if she admits it pales in comparison to either of those two. I'm very lukewarm on it at this point. I'm slowly warming up to it though with the latest episode however.

Nadesico is still one of my personal favorites, and it's one of the series that has stuck with me all this years.

I should do another rewatch sometime. It's been a few years since my last one.

Nadesico is one of my favorites too! My mother is actually who got me into it. After I discovered Dragon Ball Z, shortly before the Ginyu Saga aired for the first time, she began looking into Anime, what it was, etc. etc. And she then found Rightstuf.com and began buying all kinds of new anime for us to try. Kenshin, wings of honneamise, and Nadesico were among the first titles she acquired.

I tried sharing it with my Wife a year or two ago, she thought it was okay, which is a decent reaction from her as Mech shows rarely strike a cord with her.

Also:
Gakuen Handsome Episode 5:
I just-- Yeah next week I'm done after my Wife and I mid season review it. I guess I just don't appreciate what it's trying to do.

Izetta Episode 5:
Besides the awkward unnecessary fan service of Episode 4, I'm generally enjoying this series. It isn't nearly as mind-blowingly amazing as Crunchyroll sold it as, but it's entertaining enough and I'm enjoying the alternate history take. Izetta and the Queen are pretty solid characters.

March Comes in Like a Lion Episode 4:
Meh. The show really mis-sold itself in the opener. It seemed like a 'better' balance between depression and slice of life whimsical charm, but it's jettisoned the depression stuff. And I just don't like it's humor, not in such heavy doses. I guess it's okay if I throw my misjudged expectations away, but it's teetering on being dropped.

Magical Girl Raising Project Episode 5:
I'm liking this show more and more. We still aren't at that blood bath that was teased yet, so that feels misleading, but otherwise I'm liking the betrayal, allegiances, and gradual degradation of the happy magical atmosphere. But it's moving so slow I wonder how far we'll really get to the true insanity, assuming that ever comes into play.

Occultic;Nine Episode 4:
Show makes no effort to catch up struggling viewers, jumps between various characters so frequently that, even though I had a pretty solid grasp of the opener, I feel like I'm only got a superficial understanding of what's happening. Also I really don't enjoy what it's doing with the massive melons girl, or its stereotypical gay character. This one my Wife and I are also considering to drop at the Mid Season.

Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On Episode 5:
This is already on the drop pile, mainly because we're five episodes in and it feels like the story has barely moved forward. We've spent little time really doing any significant world building, and though this episode was better, it still feels like we're a ways off from the main story. Also, I mean, it is a Kids show, and it took till Episode 5 for it to have its first, actually funny, joke.

Ninja Girl Episode 5:
Still cute, still adorable, still glad it's 26 episodes long.

/XX/

Then I realized Art of Shin Godzilla has been delayed AGAIN from Nov 3 to Mid-Dec. Thanks Anno. Wtf.
It could be worse, knowing the low priority for GroundWorks' produced merchandise not strictly EVA-related. I'm still waiting for that Takeshi Honda's art-book announced and later postponed without further date of release... since FREAKING 2011!

Cornbread78

Shiki Ep. 22/END
Ok, the series was pretty fun to watch and did get pretty damn crazy, I mean, that Megumi scene with the villagers was friggen disturbing as hell. Wuth that being said, WTF at that ending? Seriously, there was no ending..... Did they have a 2nd season planned, but run out of funds? I mean, thd final scene could have worked, but the few mins before that just confuse things....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom