• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

itS1GyT.jpg

Something much more wholesome and cute!

Scavenger

Though some may wanna know that the UK Outlaw Star Blu-ray set is region B locked. I received the set with the Zavvi exclusive A5 print earlier this week. The UK set uses the same encodes as the Japanese release and even the packaging is very similar to the Japanese release.

Definitely think we overall get the better release, assuming the video quality's good. Escaflowne was the first show I ever bought on DVD; it'll be nice to retire those discs...
Video quality is better on the UK set. There's a comparison between the US and UK sets over here.

Pokemon Generations 11

Huh so now the Cyrus lore is he isn't dead but he's happily trapped in the same dimension as Giratina? Well ok then.

Isn't that how it's always been?
Not really. It was moreso 'Oh man shit went to hell with the legendaries and Cyrus has disappeared....somewhere.'

I don't think it was ever certain that the place he was was with Giratina in that weird mirror dimension and you certainly didn't know if he was happy about it or not. This says for sure: Yea he got trapped in another dimension and is happy as fuck about it too. Course I might be forgetting some parts, its been a while since I played Diamond and Pearl.

EDIT: Derp his fate in the games and in the anime are totally different and I mixed up the two a bit. In the anime he basically jumps into the other dimension and then Dialga and Palkia collapse the portal and his ultimate fate is never known.

DiGiKerot

Yessssss...

The UK Ultimate Edition isn't the same as the US one:

+ 144 page artbook instead of 40 (no idea what the difference is)
+ all the extras from the old DVD release that are apparently not on the Funimation release
+ the three main OSTs (!!!!!), although no Lovers' Only or movie OST
- no pendant
- worse box and disc art

Definitely think we overall get the better release, assuming the video quality's good. Escaflowne was the first show I ever bought on DVD; it'll be nice to retire those discs...

I have a copy of the UK Escaflowne set right here, though I've yet to actually break it open yet. Most reports are that the video quality on the UK release is way better though (and, honestly, I trust Justin S more than Funi's internal disk authoring, so have little doubt that's true).

Narag

I have a copy of the UK Escaflowne set right here, though I've yet to actually break it open yet. Most reports are that the video quality on the UK release is way better though (and, honestly, I trust Justin S more than Funi's internal disk authoring, so have little doubt that's true).

If you come across any comparisons, please share.

Exalted

Bungou Stray Dogs 2 episode 6

This was actually quite the exciting episode, with almost the entire episode filled with action. So far the factions wars arc looks more promising and entertaining than the S1 stuff, but still not near the first arc of S2.

EDIT: Derp his fate in the games and in the anime are totally different and I mixed up the two a bit. In the anime he basically jumps into the other dimension and then Dialga and Palkia collapse the portal and his ultimate fate is never known.

Yeah, in the games he just stubbornly stays in the Distortion World while Cynthia unsuccessfully tries to convince him that human emotions are good and all that stuff. So I guess Generations basically continues where that left off? That's pretty cool.

That reminds me that I recently finished a Platinum playthrough months ago. Platinum probably has the best Regional dex next to X/Y regarding the variety of Pokemon you can catch before the Elite 4.

Chp6uCyXAAElVma.jpg:large

Modest Togekiss + Hyper Beam/Aura Sphere/Air Slash/Fire Blast (IIRC) + Serene Grace = GOAT

SUPER RETARD 32

Not gonna lie, really rough looking episode in the first half by DiU standards. Wasn't too far off from Season 1 at times. If this show had taken that 1 cour break...man. The second half was better, but I really hope that the next episode with the Enigm- er sorry, Misterioso - fight is improved. Cheap Trick I honestly don't remember a lot of. Still a rather interesting way to handle these three fights.

DiGiKerot

Yessssss...

The UK Ultimate Edition isn't the same as the US one:

+ 144 page artbook instead of 40 (no idea what the difference is)

Actually, on the subject of the artbook, now that I look, the book with the UK set is predominantly design and setting sketches, whilst all the keyart is in the last 18-ish pages of the book. I rather suspect that the US artbook is basically just the keyart section formatted so that all the images fill the pages individually - the UK compresses two-four of some of them into the same page.

Thud

If we're talking about best scene, it's gotta be this one.

But yeah, the anime is just great. Couldn't stop laughing from beginning to end. The only anime that ever came close to this is Lucky Star, but the humor in that one is a lot more... down-to-eath. Nichijou was a lot more crazy.

Sorry, but Lucky Star is garbage.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, in the games he just stubbornly stays in the Distortion World while Cynthia unsuccessfully tries to convince him that human emotions are good and all that stuff. So I guess Generations basically continues where that left off? That's pretty cool.

That reminds me that I recently finished a Platinum playthrough months ago. Platinum probably has the best Regional dex next to X/Y regarding the variety of Pokemon you can catch before the Elite 4.
Cough cough Black 2/White 2...

JulianImp

o0yskg.jpg

Shaft still knows who is the true heroine in Monogatari.

Wait, a Madogatari raffle? Where?

Still, Gahara's face looks seriously off there while Madoka probably shouldn't be wearing that particular dress of Hitagi's.

One thing I didn't like was how her last name ended up being romanized as Senjyougahara, since that J-on-Y action makes little to no sense IMO. She's still my favorite tundra, though.

Szadek

Owarimonogatari - Ep. 11-12
Very strong ending to a relatively weak arc. The first 6 episodes were much better.
There was just too much pure expostion and too little characterization.

Line_HTX

New visual for Seiren, created by the character designer of Amagami SS.

CwbnrE3UoAEYD4X.jpg

Synopsis was too vague to be a synopsis, but I guess something to look to in January.

Kenstar

Wait, a Madogatari raffle? Where?

Still, Gahara's face looks seriously off there while Madoka probably shouldn't be wearing that particular dress of Hitagi's.

One thing I didn't like was how her last name ended up being romanized as Senjyougahara, since that J-on-Y action makes little to no sense IMO. She's still my favorite tundra, though.

It's the Hepburn vs kunrei-siki(in hepburn shiki) romaji differences, jyo makes more grammatical sense in that it is ji+yo and you can see exactly what's happening vs jo where you might think its a standalone character like ji.

another clash between the 2 styles is with distinguishing standalone n characters, kin'youbi vs kinyoubi, you can't tell with the latter if it's ki n yo u bi or ki nyo u bi, 4 vs 5 syllables

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I know there are plenty of beisbool animes. Which ones out there are the best overall?

If you're mainly interested in the game stuff (player approaches to an at-bat, managers putting in plays in reaction to the situation) with a minimal amount of super-power nonsense, Ookiku Furikabutte/Big Windup is your best bet.

You'll have to deal with a super-whiny/mentally-broken protagonist for a while though. He gets better as the series progresses, but still can be annoying.

Flip Flappers 5

Good episode but holy shit it was freaky. One of the very few times an anime actually got me freaked out and scared. Unsettling as fuck, ugh.

I cant un hear the qr3ETInqs

AHHHH

Line_HTX

If you're mainly interested in the game stuff (player approaches to an at-bat, managers putting in plays in reaction to the situation) with a minimal amount of super-power nonsense, Ookiku Furikabutte/Big Windup is your best bet.

You'll have to deal with a super-whiny/mentally-broken protagonist for a while though. He gets better as the series progresses, but still can be annoying.

I want Joe Maddon mistakes and Terry Francona stuff, so I guess Big Windup is what I want. I heard it went on hiatus though?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I want Joe Maddon mistakes and Terry Francona stuff, so I guess Big Windup is what I want. I heard it went on hiatus though?

They only got around to 2 anime seasons (the second one being a half-cour at that) and never got back to more even with the manga continuing. I'm still holding out hope that A-1 decides to go back to it given the current sports anime splurge, but I doubt it. :(

Also, given that it's Japanese high school baseball, prepare for a lot of bunting!

MSMrRound

Argh. I'm still thinking about Your Name after it premiered in Singapore theaters yesterday...feel like going for another watch and dragging my sister along this time round...

Line_HTX

They only got around to 2 anime seasons (the second one being a half-cour at that) and never got back to more even with the manga continuing. I'm still holding out hope that A-1 decides to go back to it given the current sports anime splurge, but I doubt it. :(

Also, given that it's Japanese high school baseball, prepare for a lot of bunting!

Like leadoff bunting? Because if it's not the sacrifice type that'd be stupid.

:lol

sasuke_91

Argh. I'm still thinking about Your Name after it premiered in Singapore theaters yesterday...feel like going for another watch and dragging my sister along this time round...
That good? You guys are making me excited.

How is it compared to 5cm per second? I hated that movie to be honest.

Sterok

Lostorage Incited Wixoss 5

Chinatsu is living on the edge. The guys all suck. They're either incompetent or can't commit to battles. Suzuko isn't very good at this whole questions business. Now what sort of job is Chinatsu taking up? Can't be good.

o0yskg.jpg

Shaft still knows who is the true heroine in Monogatari.

Speaking of Madogatari... I finished my blog post about my visit there:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/11/madogatari-exhibition.html

Also posted about a small A Silent Voice exhibition I saw:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/09/a-silent-voice-exhibition.html

And a post about my visit to the Roppongi Hills Ghibli exhibition:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/09/roppongi-hills-ghibli-exhibition.html

Posted about some anime locations as well, like a shopping mall seen in Kinmoza:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/09/kinmoza-shopping-mall.html

A beach seen in Your Lie in April:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/11/your-lie-in-april-seaside.html

Hidamari Sketch locations in Yokohama:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/11/hidamari-sketch-yokohama-locations.html

A park seen in Flying Witch:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/11/flying-witch-park.html

Two places from Oreimo:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/11/oreimo-yokohama-park.html
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/11/oreimo-tower.html

And I've made some corrections to my Your Name location posts:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/search/label/your name