• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
Funi put up the info

Episodes 1-26, includes episode 0 OVA
February 7, 2017
In Japanese with English subtitles
We’re ecstatic to announce the home video release for Nichijou – My Ordinary Life, one of the titles that we’ve received the most questions and license requests for at conventions! This show may be a slice of life, but don’t let that genre fool you—this highly-rated absudist comedy takes an extremely over-the-top twist on daily situations and is anything but ordinary. Fans of sakuga (scenes of intensely dynamic, quality animation in anime) will recognize stellar sequences from Kyoto Animation, a studio known for such scenes in shows like Free!, K-On!, and Hyouka.
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016...ter&utm_content=announcement&utm_nooverride=1

Fans of sakuga (scenes of intensely dynamic, quality animation in anime) will recognize stellar sequences from Kyoto Animation, a studio known for such scenes in shows like Free!, K-On!, and Hyouka.

Is this the first time a Western licensor acknowledged Hyouka's existence?!?

Just T

3-gatsu no Lion: 2

The mood switches in this show kinda irritate me but I get why it's like that so yeah. Akari is pretty nice, the other sisters are straight too. And still just really enjoying the art in this, very charming.

This will be a must get.

CwdOnkCUkAU_Oqe.jpg:large

And finally the others get their scale figures.
CwdO_xaUoAA9PN9.jpg

Clov

So this is happening.

CwdEpEqXAAA2w19.jpg

Great news! Very long overdue for sure. I'll definitely be picking it up, though I hope the video quality will be okay on this one.

Is this the first time a Western licensor acknowledged Hyouka's existence?!?

Nope! Sentai said that they'd look into it years ago when asked, but nothing ever came of it.

This will be a must get.

CwdOnkCUkAU_Oqe.jpg:large

And finally the others get their scale figures.
CwdO_xaUoAA9PN9.jpg

How have Alter's figures of the others been? Might pick up Nagisa (and eventually a Rei, probably) if I have enough money when it releases. If they don't even have prototypes out though, it could be quite a while.

The Great Passage 4

This reminds me of Keiji Gotoh's episodes of Penguindrum. The content was good, the storyboarding and direction was good - the montage set to the OP song was interesting and there were plenty of well-chosen closeups. But trying to handle all the key animation by herself was clearly a task too great for Shinobu Tagashira to handle. She called in some assistant animation directors and plenty of 2nd key animators, but still the animation was notably subpar this episode. It was funny how the 15 seconds of the post-ED segment, which were handled by a different animator, had better animation than the preceding 22 minutes of the episode proper.

How have Alter's figures of the others been? Might pick up Nagisa (and eventually a Rei, probably) if I have enough money when it releases. If they don't even have prototypes out though, it could be quite a while.

I like them, but I guess they wont be doing any of them until at least summer 2017, and then the usual alter delay :/

Clov

Awesome! Sucks that it's subbed only, but the whole series in one set and on blu? Fucking preordered.

Not too surprised that it's subbed only, I feel that the series would be a bit tricky to do a proper dub for. Not that it would be impossible, but the amount of effort may not be worth it for Funimation in this case.

I like them, but I guess they wont be doing any of them until at least summer 2017, and then the usual alter delay :/

Yeah, it'll likely be a bit of a wait. It is a high quality PVC figure after all. I'm sure it will be worth it, though!

I'm still waiting for the Free! movie to release! How much longer must I wait!

It's been out in Japan for a while now, actually.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 30

I always wondered why the new OP featured just Yume and Laura mostly without Koharu as part of the trio. Well now we know. Koharu was kind of lackluster at times, but she made some surprisingly good contributions at times, especially in the last few episodes. But wait, she's got the title card? Is it finally her time to shine?
Lol, of course not. Yume gets hit hard here. Koharu moves away, Laura is growing more distant as she wants to practice on her own, her voice is giving out, she collapsed on stage (at least there were no stakes this time, she couldn't say goodbye to Koharu, and Hime told her she's basically a chosen one, which is probably a curse. This is Aikatsu, not Wixoss. Did not expect this much kicking of a girl when she's down. Now Yume needs to train more to specifically not activate her superpowers. Fun times for her ahead.

Cornbread78

lol I cant believe they couldnt at least aim the damn projector towards an empty part of the wall.

Lol, that's what I'm saying. A $5 white sheet from Walmart and a couple thumb tacks could've helped.

Given their target market is anime fans, presentation isn't something either the company or the customer is concerned about.

C'mon, fans are worthy of at least the above, lol

The Great Passage - 04

Majime my man, you are so innocent. Good thing grandma drove them out of the house. He may be an adult, but he has a lot of growing up to do. I hope for one that he corrects his crunched up posture and that he's able to keep his head up by the end of the show.

Just T

3-gatsu no Lion: 3

Would like if the cats didn't talk and if the little side notes on the characters weren't voiced either.

As for the episode overall, the first half with Harunobu was better than expected, I may not understand how the game is played but I enjoyed observing the emotion each side was putting into it. The second half was just really sad and as they went into detail about the tradition it cast an even somber mood. It was obvious what Hina was about to do wouldn't have even bothered to ask.

Cornbread78

Mob Psycho ep.9
Damn, Mob fucked that dude up with 1 finger. This rescue mission is gonna be fun. Also, are
Ritso's powers developing even more?
He destroyed those guys as well.

No, they aren't.

And you wonder why they call you the community bully? Lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What kinds of bonuses were on the Japanese BDs?
Well, each volume came with a OST CD, which I know couldn't make it, but it would have been nice if they could translate the radio shows that were included. I think each volume also had audio commentaries and some location scouting footage.

Of course Ultimatemegax reviewed the JP box release:
https://ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2016/07/08/nichijou-blu-ray-box-review/

I guess the only true complete experience will come from the single volume releases that got for 70-80 bucks each.

Well, each volume came with a OST CD, which I know couldn't make it, but it would have been nice if they could translate the radio shows that were included. I think each volume also had audio commentaries and some location scouting footage.

The music CD thing is a total, absolute bummer. Haruhi got around that eventually because of the brand recognition and an opportunity to make more money with a retail collection with the recent anniversary, but Nichijou is far too niche. It's a shame we will miss out on that forever.

Audio commentaries, I feel like Sentai are the only people who do that and rarely if at all. Radio shows, probably impossible because of the niche factor, but would have been delightful.

Most of all, I hope there aren't any compromises made on the video quality. I'm glad we're getting it on Blu-ray because this anime demands it, and honestly wouldn't have minded if they skipped over DVD but hey, people still use DVDs.

Man, but Nichijou's music was outstanding. Might have to import-double-dip one day. =_=

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The music CD thing is a total, absolute bummer. Haruhi got around that eventually because of the brand recognition and an opportunity to make more money with a retail collection with the recent anniversary, but Nichijou is far too niche. It's a shame we will miss out on that forever.

Audio commentaries, I feel like Sentai are the only people who do that and rarely if at all. Radio shows, probably impossible because of the niche factor, but would have been delightful.

Most of all, I hope there aren't any compromises made on the video quality. I'm glad we're getting it on Blu-ray because this anime demands it, and honestly wouldn't have minded if they skipped over DVD but hey, people still use DVDs.

Man, but Nichijou's music was outstanding. Might have to import-double-dip one day. =_=
I'll let the video authoring nerds talk about lines of resolution or whatever when it comes to that stuff. lol

It's just me, but the value proposition for me comes from wanting more than just the show with subtitles on it. I'll probably get Nichijou since I've been waiting forever for it, but it's a bit disappointing that it's just the show and nothing else.

In general though, when anime is so disposable now to the point where I can't even remember what I watched last season, just dumping a show on disc doesn't work for me anymore.

Ultimadrago

We did it ultimabro

https://files.catbox.moe/zfl12g.webm

We did it, Thoraxbro.

I don't have too much riding on the Blu-Ray's quality (packaging or video quality), but I'm covered on those ends regardless.

Of course Ultimatemegax reviewed the JP box release:
https://ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2016/07/08/nichijou-blu-ray-box-review/

I guess the only true complete experience will come from the single volume releases that got for 70-80 bucks each.

Assuming they are still laid about in a retail storage closet for selling years from now, I'll probably still Indiana Jones for the rest of the JP collection. Man, the location scout footage is so strange though, it's just the seiyuu walking around empty lots of Japan in some of them! Or perhaps that was a different feature video. Haha

Narag

We did it, Thoraxbro.

I don't have too much riding on the Blu-Ray's quality (packaging or video quality), but I'm covered on those ends regardless.

Assuming they are still laid about in a retail storage closet for selling years from now, I'll probably still Indiana Jones for the rest of the JP collection. Man, the location scout footage is so strange though, it's just the seiyuu walking around empty lots in Japan in some of them! lol

While you're here, you might dig this article about the show by an animation nerd: https://wavemotioncannon.com/2016/11/01/nichijou-raising-the-bar/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Stop watching so much media!
We live in the age of "peak tv". Who else is going to watch a Max Landis written adaptation of Dirk Gently starring Frodo??

unless it's wuxia puppets
Do a fandub~

We did it, Thoraxbro.

Assuming they are still laid about in a retail storage closet for selling years from now, I'll probably still Indiana Jones for the rest of the JP collection. Man, the location scout footage is so strange though, it's just the seiyuu walking around empty lots of Japan in some of them! Or perhaps that was a different feature video. Haha
You're alliiiiiiiiiiiive.

I kind of wish someone just uploaded that stuff to youtube. Or maybe they did and I just missed it. lol

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

We did it, Thoraxbro.

Ultima lives~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom