• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I really wish David Production had taken a break to work on the second half of Diamond is Unbreakable.

These recent episodes, while not entirely awful, definitely should look better.

Jex

Man, I really wish David Production had taken a break to work on the second half of Diamond is Unbreakable.

These recent episodes, while not entirely awful, definitely should look better.

I would actually describe the first half of this week's episode as pretty awful. It looks rough as hell.

phaze

Bungou Stray Dogs 2 episode 6

This was actually quite the exciting episode, with almost the entire episode filled with action. So far the factions wars arc looks more promising and entertaining than the S1 stuff, but still not near the first arc of S2.

Wait what.

Is this 'back' to Fridays?

Neat, the German Akiba Pass festival in January will feature all three Kizu movies, while Bake also even got a German dub release, after it got quite the praise in a mainstream newspaper here.

6 days till Ghibli Museum tickets for December go up if you're planning to go there. Sells out fast :p

Thx for the info.

Exalted

Wait what.

Is this 'back' to Fridays?

Who knows ? Judging by the past episodes , the schedule is 2 episodes on random days of the week followed by a week of break. :p

Edit : Apparently it will now air on fridays going forward according to Crunchy twitter.

Hamst3r

Bee and Puppycat - episodes 7 through 10 were good, and now I'm depressed in pants that there isn't another set of episodes.

Cornbread78

When it comes to actual baseball play, strategy, etc? Cross Game is more romcom drama, and Little Busters...lol.

I wants moar sports in my sports series!

Lol, I know I know. I've been trying tk get Lines to watch LB for a long time now, lol.

How is Touch with "technical" baseball stuff?

Does anyone know of an active forum that kind of focuses on anime that is considered older?

I don't really watch much new stuff, but occasionally I'll want to chat about an older show like Macross or Nadia or Mazinkaiser (okay not too old).

Somewhat related...Does anyone have Nadia on bluray from Sentai Filmworks? I'm considering buying it, but I dont like how their Patlabor OAV release has gigantic subtitles that go out of the 4:3 display area. If anyone knows I'd really appreciate it. I can't find screenshots w/subs anywhere.

BluWacky

More anime watching!

The Great Passage Episode 1

There's something a little "J-drama" about this (I've not seen the film version, incidentally); it's the twinkly, omnipresent piano music in the background that does it, as well as the unusually expressive character animation for a TV show (which I think hosanna mentioned previously); all the more necessary for a story like this, alongside the more animation-friendly stuff like the dictionary dream sequence. I suspect the dialogue is lifted from the novel as it actually sounds like things people would say...

I very much liked this; the direction keeps things lively and interesting, as do the performances. My intentions would be to watch more!

Sound! Euphonium 1

I dunno... it's just...

I would like to like this, and can appreciate that it's an excellent example of what it's doing; the effort that has gone into the "bad" music performances, and the animation of everything else, is exemplary. I totally understand why it's very popular.

But.

Part of the reason I don't think I'll be watching any more is that it seems like a fantasy, like life has been filtered through the usual young adult light novel lens. I can't compare to Thoraxes or hosanna in terms of professionalism in music, and I know Japanese skills are bigger on students running extra-curricular activities themselves, but having been through the concert band mill as a young boy and teenager - and still playing in one now as an adult on occasion - the experience was never anything like this, all cutesy girly friendships and teaching each other to play instruments; concert band was, and is, an hour of playing loud, bad arrangements of movie soundtracks and waiting for the saxophonists and clarinetists to play it right because it's non-selective and therefore most of the players are crap. Obviously the idea will be that they are better than average, but it just seems so alien to reality for me. A school orchestra is one thing - but concert band?

The other part is I'm really just not a cute high school girl person. While these characters are hardly the most egregious examples, I'm just not really interested in them as a result. I feel dreadfully sexist but my favourite scenes were the conductor at the shrine and the childhood friend scene...

Again, I can see exactly why this is a good show; but it's clearly just not for me.

Narag

Does anyone know of an active forum that kind of focuses on anime that is considered older?

I don't really watch much new stuff, but occasionally I'll want to chat about an older show like Macross or Nadia or Mazinkaiser (okay not too old).

Somewhat related...Does anyone have Nadia on bluray from Sentai Filmworks? I'm considering buying it, but I dont like how their Patlabor OAV release has gigantic subtitles that go out of the 4:3 display area. If anyone knows I'd really appreciate it. I can't find screenshots w/subs anywhere.

If you don't mind waiting until later tonight or tomorrow I can crack open my BDs and take some screenshots with them.

phaze

Soul Eater 21
021494oyu7h.jpg
0214973pu44.jpg
0215023vu22.jpg
02151320un3.jpg

I finally know where zulux;s avatar is from.

Something, something congratulations.

Also someone slap me silly cause I've actually enjoyed a talk no jutsu in my animu, both from script and execution standpoint. Special note to a number of short sappy music numbers which underlined a number of crucial scenes perfectly.

Bungou Stray Dogs 18

First rule of BSD, don't ever trigger Akutagawa's "Please notice me Senpai !" complex. Which gets larger and larger with every episode, yikes.

The concept of this season itself gives ample chance to it turning just into a series of never ending duels with little in the way of plot or character writing standing between them but so far they're doing an alright job of making them enjoyable.

Scorching Ping Pong Girls Episode 5:
I feel like the show has gradually gotten more interesting, especially as we've focused more so on actual Ping Pong rather than characters bubbling over with trans formative character arcs. I think it's just, just barely holding on for my Wife and I to keep it past the mid season.

Girlish Number Episode 4:
This gets better and better. I think I'm gradually preferring this to Shirobako. I feel like it's a tad more honest (read cynical) in its portrayal of the anime industry behind the scenes, and while I'm sure the truth lays somewhere inbetween Shirobako's depiction of behind the scenes difficulties and Girlish Number's lampooning of anime as more a product to sell hype rather than quality, I feel like with my limited experience trying to break into the entertainment industry it rings far more true to home.

Yuri on Ice!!! Episode 5:
The art is definitely still declining, but the story more than makes up for it. Probably my favorite sports anime yet (and I generally dislike Sports anime entirely.)

To Be Hero Episode 5:
Less of a laugh out loud episode than the past few weeks. I feel like the show was displaying it's emotional core here though, and while perhaps a tad basic/predictable, I think it did a good job bringing out its more emotional message.

Ajin Anime/Manga Comparison Episode 2: Here's the highlights from the article I wrote: Episode 2 mostly adheres to the second chapter, although they add in scenes with the sister to build her up for that crucial sequence coming up in a later episode, and change the tone of a couple scenes.

Namely Tosaki's talk of tranquilizers ends with him in support of using them on Ajin, rather than preferring to hunt Ajin down in the manga. Although the whole idea of hunting Ajin's not as people but animals is still there.

They also spend some additional scenes setting up the two guys in the van with the kidnapped girl, a development that sorta comes out of no where in the manga. Also again they've increased the time spent showcasing the Ajin Ghost and its tie to Nagai.

Otherwise the rest of the changes are mostly rearranging a few scenes.

Jintor

it's shit like that why soul eater for all its faults still has a place in my heart

not a great place. it's not the park heights or whatever of my heart. but it's there

Ascheroth

Diamond is Unbreakable #32

Welp, that looked rough at times. Please go back to doing a split cour for part 5.
But Enigma was great. And the architect dude is fishy as hell.

Hypeyuu S3 #5

So hype.

*goes back to playing Xanadu Next*

jgminto

Today's episode of Jojo was probably the worst looking this season, maybe even worse than a lot of Stardust Crusaders. The only moment of note was the animation of Enigma's ability.

Theonik

Yessssss...

The UK Ultimate Edition isn't the same as the US one:

+ 144 page artbook instead of 40 (no idea what the difference is)
+ all the extras from the old DVD release that are apparently not on the Funimation release
+ the three main OSTs (!!!!!), although no Lovers' Only or movie OST
- no pendant
- worse box and disc art

Definitely think we overall get the better release, assuming the video quality's good. Escaflowne was the first show I ever bought on DVD; it'll be nice to retire those discs...
Picked it up on MCM together with about £275 of other Anime LTD releases. It's pretty nice but I haven't been able to take a look at image quality yet.

Twin star gets another anime original arc starting with episode 32.

It's called Tenchi Meidou Arc, guessing it well end the plot points from the other arc with Arima and Kuranashi.

CwaASQEVEAAftP7.jpg

Ascheroth

Twin star gets another anime original arc starting with episode 32.

It's called Tenchi Meidou Arc, guessing it well end the plot points from the other arc with Arima and Kuranashi
Not surprising. Most of the new Basara are still at large and it wouldn't have made much sense to introduce them as strong opponents only to forget about them.

I just hope they'll do the arc before the current manga arc afterwards. Because that was legit.

Not surprising. Most of the new Basara are still at large and it wouldn't have made much sense to introduce them as strong opponents only to forget about them.

I just hope they'll do the arc before the current manga arc afterwards. Because that was legit.

I just want more Shimon. I mean....you know!

Cornbread78

I just want more Shimon. I mean....you know!

I just want them to push the story forward. They have 20 episodes left. Will that cover the rest of the manga?

I just want them to push the story forward. They have 20 episodes left. Will that cover the rest of the manga?

Well the manga is far from over and I suppose we are getting an anime original ending, but I guess they could cover most of the important stuff from the manga in 10-12 episodes.

Narag

Can I just say that this is some shit-tier presentation skills. Funimation is a pretty damn big media company. I'm in insurance and I put on cleaner, more professional looking presentations. Aren't they even trying to sell their shit??

Given their target market is anime fans, presentation isn't something either the company or the customer is concerned about.

Can I just say that this is some shit-tier presentation skills. Funimation is a pretty damn big media company. I'm in insurance and I put on cleaner, more professional looking presentations. Aren't they even trying to sell their shit??

lol I cant believe they couldnt at least aim the damn projector towards an empty part of the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom