• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.31
Big change of pace from the previous arc; it was all about the little guy and Benio's backstory. Kinda boring, but the story was nice. Some of the visuals of the town and sunset were excellent this week though.

379Eiqa.jpg

WHY

Sengoku Basara 5

Until the killing of Azai at the very end of the episode, which was handled rather well, I found the direction here to be relatively weak. The action was treated poorly, with abuse of speed lines and confusing cuts which made the sequences difficult to follow. The conversations on opposing values between the warlords here are also not especially interesting - this is no Fate/Zero 11. I am fond of the concept of Tadakatsu Honda as a giant robot, complete with launch sequence, and the treatment of Nobunaga as a JRPG final boss is enjoyably cheesy.

NeonZ

After Dr. Slump ended they pretty much wrapped it into the Dragon Ball world

They really don't though, which makes that story all the more odd. After Goku and Blue leave, it's like they don't exist in the same show anymore. They don't even get a cameo during the Buu Saga Genki Dama. It'd be basically like if that Dragonball/One Piece/Toriko crossover had been the first few episodes of Dragonball Super, but afterwards no one ever mentioned the crossover characters again (although, yes, I know Arale has a brief cameo in Super).

Cornbread78

Scrapped Princess ep.4
Well now, finally got a glimpse into her powers, even if they were not used voluntarily. There are multiple organizations after her head now, but I have no idea who is who now and the events leading up to that end didn't make it any clearer. Looks like the little punk soldier kid will also be tagging along to "observe" her as well... Not bad.

Sengoku Basara 6

Now this is more like it. Strong animation throughout with effective and exciting direction that sell this as a mid-series climax where the good guys are thwarted for the moment but not destroyed (well, most of them). This episode was very strong on the Sawano though - two prominent insert songs and a boatload of cheese!

Casshern Sins 1 Rewatch
download.png
vlcsnap_1230984.png

The duality of Casshern

I always think it's important how a character is introduced to an audience. Casshern is introduced mid battle, finishing off a much larger robot with ease. Despite that his facial expression and posture gives a detached almost defeated feel. When a large group of robots march on him spouting the famous (or infamous) line, he tears through them. It's might not have been noticed much, but Casshern is noticeably more violent early in the series. When fighting later on, he often seems to end fights quickly. Here however, there are multiple times where he literally rips out the wiring from his enemies. The first half of the episode paints Casshern as a monster. The second half, where he saves Ringo, presents him as a person who seems almost afraid of remembering who he is. It's this switch that defines Casshern, and to an extent, the show itself. Casshern Sins is a mix of cold brutality and examining the fragile core of people.

I need a feel good anime. Like just something to make me feel less shitty about this world of ours. A Dub would be nice, but really I don't care at this point.

Exalted

Flip Flappers episode 6

This was quite the strange episode, focusing on Iro's past, and not in the same way as the previous episodes. Don't know how i fell about the narrative style they use in this show, they don't have any problems leaving huge chunks of important story out or making jumps.

Cornbread78

It was really comfy. Characters were fun, very subdued drama, and generally pleasant atmosphere. Been on a string of vaguely serious shows recently, so this was refreshing.

you watched the movie to close out everything, right?

That ending was great and wrapped things up perfectly!

blurr

Kumiko Euphonium S2 06

Hm, Taki-sensei is more than what he appears to be. I was intrigued to listen that he was quite rebellious, hard to even imagine him the way he appears right now.

Kumiko's so good, whether it's because of her VA, her characterization, they've nailed it. The flowers, the ring and the special day comment all line up pretty well and more or less obvious but they kind of made it more explicit. Kumiko's realization on what all it meant gave her this look on her face. That was a beautiful moment.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Flip Flappers Episode 6:

I got to say of all things I never expected Flip Flappers to offer up was an
earnest and heartbreaking depiction of Alzheimer's.

What is with all the random feet shots in Euphonium.

Naoko Yamada is a well known fan of leg/feet shots. In a talk between her and Ryosuke Takahashi, director of VOTOMS, she said the following:

Yamada: KyoAni is a group of people who only want to continue making anime. Surely older anime (including kid-oriented) had more mature tones too.

Takahashi: The surface characteristics appealed to kids, but the content was more adult. There were a lot of charming leg scenes in Tamako Love Story; scenes where the state of the character was shown with only a shot of their legs. I’ve never done that. Please teach us about that technique.

Yamada: “The eyes may be the window to the soul,” but I think our legs are like that too. Usually we hide our legs under our desks or else they’ll reveal our true emotions.

Takahashi: I had heard of fingers and hands, but I had never seen legs used like that before. One of the appealing points (of Tamako Love Story) is legs. We’ll entrust legs to Kyoto from henceforth. (laughs) Personally, I like to display ears myself.

Yamada: Ears are nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom