• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tale ep.61
LnB3mTA.jpg
An entire episode of Natsu vs. Cobra. Sure there was lots of OP bullshit powers from Cobra, but noce ending there. Sonetimes the weakest attacks work best.

Sterok

Good: Iron-Blooded Orphans, Girlish Number, Magical Girl Raising Project

Okay: Lostorage Incited Wixoss

Mediocre: Flip Flappers, Izetta

Flip Flappers 6

Despite what I said above, this is a pretty good episode. Especially since Cocona and Papika spent little time with each other. Alzheimer is a difficult subject to tackle, and its depiction seemed very accurate with my own experiences. Nice of them to help out a friend.

jonjonaug

Flip Flappers 6: Far and away the best episode yet. After the election I really needed a good cry, and this hit home hard with my own grandparent recently passing away after years of being completely senile. I loved it.

Moaradin

God Tier

Haikyuu

Good

Yuri!!! on Ice
Flip Flappers
Keijo!!!!!!!!
To Be Hero

Decent

Tiger Mask W

Dropped

Occultic;Nine
March Comes in Like a Lion (Didn't hate it. Might pick it back up when it's finished.)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Someone help me toss the 3-gatsu egg out of the nest so I can raise a different anime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yuri on Ice 6:

Chinese kid is high as FUCK

This season so far for me.

8 (Great)
Hibike! Euphonium 2: Finding this more enjoyable then the previous season so far.

7 (Good)
Haikyuu!! 3: As good as the animation has been, the game just doesn't have the same flare as the aobajousai match. Just no real rivalry here, so it feels a bit more bland compared to the 2nd season.

Natsume Yuujinchou Go: It's another Natsume anime, though the animation feels quite iffy at times.

Yuri!!! on Ice: Got lowered due to Mappa's obvious struggles with animating this.

6 (Above Average)
Gi(a)rlish Number: Something about it just appeals to me, in the same sorta way Shirobako did (though Girlish isn't near as great as Shiro).

Flip Flappers: Was thinking of lowering it, but episode 6 was just so well done that I'm not.

5 (Average)
3-gatsu no Lion: It's there, really still unsure where I stand on this show

Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari: This season's heartwarming anime, though hopefully something happens soon...

Keijo!!!!!!!!: After a rough start, its finally getting into the meat of what made the manga so much fun.

Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season: Quite like the backstory for the first for episodes....present day not so much.

WWWWorking!!: Grew quicker on me then the original series.

Bernard-jou Iwaku.: I just enjoy it okay.

4 (Below Average)
ClassicaLoid: Okay I guess, not sure how this will last 26 episodes though.

Nobunaga no Shinobi: Cute short anime, getting slightly stale.

Teekyuu 8: Not a strong Teekyuu season.

To Be Hero: I want to like this series, but it just won't let me.

3 (Bad)
Tiger Mask W: While there is some cheesy fun, when it gets bad it goes bad fast.

Kiitarou Shounen no Youkai Enikki: Ehh short.

Shuumatsu no Izetta: Really just nothing about it works for me.

Sengoku Choujuu Giga: Sadly some of the jokes go over my head due to my lack of history knowledge.

2 (Redeemable Shit)
Gakuen Handsome: ....I'm just in this for the ending visuals.

Ao Oni The Animation: Got a chuckle out of me twice....so there's that.

DROOOOOOPPPPEED Occultic;Nine: Fuck this anime, still debating about lowering it.

DROOOOOOPPPEEED Soul Buster: Fuck whoever thought that filter was a good idea.

DROOOOOOPPPEED Trickster: Edogawa Ranpo "Shounen Tanteidan" yori: At least better then the two above this.

1 (Unredeemable Shit)
DROOOOOOOOPPPED Nazotokine: Fuck your shit puzzles, your shit animation and your shit pig thing.

Well, now that I and my family have mostly come to terms with what a horrific election that was, and dealt with my wife nearly slicing her finger off (not related) back to anime.

I guess here are my mid season rankings.

Great
Girlish Number - cynical anime is best anime.
Keijo - what can I say? I'm a pervert.
Ninja Girl and Samurai Master - adorable.
Saiki K
To Be Hero - shit gets weirder and funnier.

Good
Magical Girl Raising Project - gets better each episode.
Flip flappers - good but not for me.
Gundam IBO S2 - I don't understand why people are hating this?
Ping Pong Girls - I like it but I think my wife wants to drop it.
Poco's Udon world
Yuri on Ice - i would like it more if the animation was more stable.
Kiss him not me.

Mediocre
Izetta - really have not been feeling the last two episodes.
March comes in like a lion - it's been getting better for me, but I still feel it does it's tonal balancing act poorly.
Occultic;Nine - it needs to slow down.
Drifters - jettison the comedy please.
Long Riders! - name is misleading, we're always taking breaks on this journey.
Trickster - liking it a bit more each week but feels a tad half baked.
Monster Hunter Stories

Bad
Cheating Craft

Horrific
Gakuen Handsome -Dropped, it's just one joke.

jgminto

Flip Flappers was great today, strangely it's been difficult to get interested in watching/posting about anime lately for some reason.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Flip Flappers was great today, strangely it's been difficult to get interested in watching/posting about anime lately for some reason.

Yeah i can't put my finger on it but my mood's just been off these last two days.

Hunter x Hunter '99 27

vbUkUFK.jpg
H1jH96R.jpg

Have some rare Hisokas

One thing I like about HxH (among many) is how the nigh universal reaction to Hisoka is "Oh shit its him. Don't make eye contact and pray you don't get involved." The dude is just dangerous. He had to surrender the match because he was going to kill Kurapika and get disqualified. So in reality while Kurapika won, in an actual fight Hisoka would have just killed him.

Cornbread78

Scrapped Princess ep.5-6

Very nice. Finally got to see big sis step up again and destroy a baddie in the cave with some of her magic. Then big bro a D Knight? What is up with that? That was one hell of a beatdown he gave that freak though. That was good, but a lot of mysterious stuff going on.

JulianImp

My list would probably be:

Good:
JoJo DiU
Girlish Number
Occultic;Nine

Decent:
Watashi ga motete dousunda? (mostly watching this for Sawashiro now)
Magical Girl Culling Project
Flip Flappers

Should go back to watching:
Gundam IBO

About to drop:
Marching Lions

Guilty pleasure harenchi show of the season:
Seitokaichou waifu-chan

Liking
Student Council President

The formula kinda got stale after the first season, though. Episodes always follow the line of the MC getting into some lewd situation by mistake, resisting as much as he can until he caves in, and finally have the mood spoiled by some random event/character for the sake of comedy. The characters are already mostly established and keep doing the same things over and over which gets boring fast, even for a short show such as this.

Like, Galko was a much better lewd-ish short anime by comparison.

Quasar

The formula kinda got stale after the first season, though. Episodes always follow the line of the MC getting into some lewd situation by mistake, resisting as much as he can until he caves in, and finally have the mood spoiled by some random event/character for the sake of comedy. The characters are already mostly established and keep doing the same things over and over which gets boring fast, even for a short show such as this.

Like, Galko was a much better lewd-ish short anime by comparison.

I do find it odd that it got a second season. And if there was more interesting shorts I'd probably be watching them instead.

Jex

That seems pretty reasonable but there are a few weird moments:

This is also compounded by the fact that the anime adaptation of Gundam: The Origin, helmed by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, is far more in line with the narrative tone as well as execution of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. It’s made many question what was Tomino’s actual role in those classic series.

While I am not convinced Tomino had no hand in the series he worked on, as he is an accomplished writer, it’s probable that the normally dissenting voices in production that result in more sensible decisions being made were likely absent here.
These kind of comments make me think someone is generally misremembering the lineage of Tomino. Try actually looking at something like Zeta with a critical eye and you'll notice it's crammed with the same Tomino weirdness as the rest of his other works, even if the tone is 'dark'. This is true for...most of Tomino's works? He's been doing super weird, nutty stuff since the 80's.

All this aside, Reconguista in G does benefit from some genuinely great animation throughout and its shorter episode count means the narrative pace is nicely quick.
I can't really say that G-Reco's break-neck storytelling really helped the show in any way. I'm not saying a 52 episode series would be good but it would probably be far more comprehensible.

Szadek

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo - Ep. 3
A rather slow set up epsiode,which is fine.
Although, the entrance of the Count was really fucking cool.

Cowboy Bebop - Ep. 3
Not a big fan of this episode.
The entire set up was rather contrived and the story wasn't that interesting either.

Cardcaptor Sakura - Ep. 15
Kero-chan and Sakura are cute even when they are fighting.
It was pretty funny when Kero-chan got drunken on candies.

Keijo ep. 6
Not as crazy as former episodes but had a few fun moments

All out ep. 6
Series still in building phases, can't wait until we hopefully get some hype matches

Kuromukuro ep.5
Dropped, its pretty boring and idk...sterile

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 32

ugly af

BUT

little kira bit reminded me he's why I'm still enjoying the show. turned from the tv for a bit after it became talky time but eyes went right back when kira's leitmotif played

That seems pretty reasonable but there are a few weird moments:

These kind of comments make me think someone is generally misremembering the lineage of Tomino. Try actually looking at something like Zeta with a critical eye and you'll notice it's crammed with the same Tomino weirdness as the rest of his other works, even if the tone is 'dark'. This is true for...most of Tomino's works? He's been doing super weird, nutty stuff since the 80's.

I can't really say that G-Reco's break-neck storytelling really helped the show in any way. I'm not saying a 52 episode series would be good but it would probably be far more comprehensible.

Having recently rewatched Tomino Gundam, yeah, very odd comments. The trilogy movies, possibly how most people have experienced Original Gundam in the west, do cut down on Tomino's shenanigans, but they're definitely there. I think Tomino does get... weirder as time went on. I think Victory is far more bizarre compared to OG Gundam or Zeta, but Gundam The Origin basically removes a lot of Tomino's more quirky aspects to tell a more serious Gundam
Which I actually really prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom