• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paltheos

After much recommending, I leapt into Sound! Euphonium this week. After a largely uninteresting first episode where our heroine mopes about and befriends generic moe and genki girls... the show improves dramatically on episode 2! I'm almost caught up with everyone now - I went through this one relatively quickly and there's allot of positive things I can say about it. The production quality is fantastic, it's paced and edited really well, the plot developments link up really well with Kumiko and flow well together. And... a ton of other stuff. Like how Kumiko has a ton of different faces that she shows to different people but none of them feel disjointed. How allot of the cast obviously just serve a role in the greater story or main cast but don't feel empty enough to just be props but at the same time the show doesn't waste time developing them - The developments are weaved together into the regular pacing so the experience doesn't feel disjointed. (basically I'm praising it for not screwing up)

Things I don't like: The show trying to sell Katou and Kawashima as main characters. They're innocuous at best, serving soundboards for Kumiko (as many of the characters do) or as means of communicating a musician's growth/trials (again, as others). I don't give a shit about Katou having a crush on trombone-kun because it's not relevant to the main story at all and Katou's not nearly that interesting. Also, why did Taki-sensei have the whole club decide *on the spot* whether they were going for nationals or not? Isn't that the sort of thing you give people a little time to decide on? Really minor >_> but that always bothered me.

Eupho's p. cool though. I see why it was so popular last year. It doesn't have that spark that the best slice of life shows have but it's very engaging and obviously very well put-together.

Flip Flap Flip Flap 06

Visually I really liked this episode, it probably has the most obvious warm/cold color usage ever though. The sequence with the parents arguing owned

Cornbread78

Hmm, how many shows have you guys dropped already this season?

I'm way behind, and I'm trying to figure out if it is straight disinterest, or are the shows just not that good? Either way, I'm not sure if I should jump back on:

Flip Flappers
Drifters
Yuri On Ice
All Out
Brave Witches
Eupho (I'll get to eventually)
Keijo!
The Great Passage
My Wife is the Student Council President!+

I have stuck with:
3-gatsu
Occultic;Nine
Izetta
Nanbaka
WWW.working
Magical Girl Raising Project
Udon no Kuni (need to catch up)

I need to watch more, I think, but I'm liking these older shows much better for the most part.

Qurupeke

Things I don't like: The show trying to sell Katou and Kawashima as main characters. They're innocuous at best, serving soundboards for Kumiko (as many of the characters do) or as means of communicating a musician's growth/trials (again, as others). I don't give a shit about Katou having a crush on trombone-kun because it's not relevant to the main story at all and Katou's not nearly that interesting.

Agreed, it's a good thing their presence has been reduced greatly in S2 and we're getting more Reina. And more scenes with the duo that actually matters, Yuuko and Natsuki.

Paltheos

None, but I'm only on 3 since I consume less than average around these parts. This season I'm watching:

Eupho S2
IBO S2
Girlish Number

Great -

Eupho
Flip Flappers
Heybot
Great Passage
To Be Hero

Good -

Haikyuu
Girlish Number
Dragon Ball Super
Yuri on Ice
Keijo!!!!!!!

Average/Dunno What to Think -

3-Gatsu
Tiger Mask W but that one episode fucking owned

Bad/Dropped -

Occultic;Nine
Drifters
Izetta
Magical Girl Raising
ClassicaLoid (actually a pretty good show)
Iron Blooded Orphans is on thin ice

Szadek

Smile Precure! - Ep. 29
The precure are cheating even harder than the villains!
Nice,funny episode.

Soushin Shoujo Matoi - Ep. 6
Yuma finally got her powers. The tanooki spitirt is kind of wimp, isn'the?
Her outfits are both very cute. Beaing able to sweetch between offencen and defence should comes in handy at the future.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo - Ep. 2
Man, this sequel to Hellsing is fucking weird.

Flip Flappers - 6

The opening scenes of this episode had a pretty jarring transition to the Pure Illusion fight.

But that's pretty much my only complaint with this episode. Everything else was great.
The story of the Alzheimer's woman was super sad. I don't think I've ever seen an anime tackle that subject before.

Qurupeke

Eupho S2, Girlish Number and Flip Flappers are excellent and very enjoyable. Season's highlights for me.
3-gatsu is alright, I think there are times I love it and then there also times I can't stand it.
Kind of mixed on Jojo too lately, I just want this to reach the finale asap.
Yuri on Ice is nice, though I'm not feeling the show that much. I'm usually watching it right after Eupho too...
Izetta is quite fun, maybe a bit too dumb at times.
Occultic;Nine is pretty bad.

I've tried watching a few shows like Keijo and that Magical Girl thing, they ranged from offensively bad to mediocre. Also, I probably should start Fune wo Amu one of these days, or else I'll forget it like Rakugo...

Hmm, how many shows have you guys dropped already this season?

I'm way behind, and I'm trying to figure out if it is straight disinterest, or are the shows just not that good? Either way, I'm not sure if I should jump back on:

Flip Flappers
Drifters
Yuri On Ice
All Out
Brave Witches
Eupho (I'll get to eventually)
Keijo!
The Great Passage
My Wife is the Student Council President!+

I have stuck with:
3-gatsu
Occultic;Nine
Izetta
Nanbaka
WWW.working
Magical Girl Raising Project
Udon no Kuni (need to catch up)

I need to watch more, I think, but I'm liking these older shows much better for the most part.

All out got good last week with the coach.

Great for sticking with nanbaka. One of the best ops too.

TrueBlue

Agreed, it's a good thing their presence has been reduced greatly in S2 and we're getting more Reina. And more scenes with the duo that actually matters, Yuuko and Natsuki.

I know it's only halfway through the season, but I don't think Reina has played that much of a role in Season 2. There's been more of her but I don't feel she's done anything particularly interesting thus far. She's been giving opinions which are literally categorised as "Reina answers", pined for Taki-sensei, and played as part of the concert band.

I mean, she's hung out with Kumiko more, but I dunno, I don't feel their dynamic has developed all that much.

Granted, the focus hasn't been on her all that much, and that's fair. I'm just struggling to think of any Season 2 scenes - that aren't the concert scenes - with her that stand out, aside from maybe the first episode.

I'm not bashing her, mind. She's still a very watchable character and the seasom is still only half-done, I just don't feel the most has been made of her increased screentime. Still awesome though!

Yuuko and Natsuki are great though. The former especially is a very interesting character, and I like her progression from Season 1.

you watched the movie to close out everything, right?

That ending was great and wrapped things up perfectly!
Yeah, it was a clean and nice way of wrapping things up. I haven't watched the next one yet, but I can sort of understand why they switched to a new cast. Hopefully they hold up.

Amazing

Occultic;Nine(I'll write something next episode as to why this my best of the season)
Haikyu
Yuri on Ice
Poco's udon world
Gundam Iron blooded orphans

The good

Tricksters
Bungo stray dogs
All Out
Flip Flappers

the dropped

Keijo!!!!!!!!
Drifters
Nanbaka

The saved for later/when more dubs are out

Kiss him not me
Monster hunter stories
Touken Ranbu

pbayne

Favs

Poco's Udon World
Great Passage(maybe...it can be very weird sometimes)
Haikyuu

Miracle class/Undefinable

Flip Flappers

Real good

Digimon
Monster Hunter
Yuri on Ice
Girlish Number

Decent genre show/scratch particular itch

Tiger Mask
Danganronpa Mahou Shoujo
All Out-Thoug the new coach is ace. Stupid to air the same season as Haikyuu as though.
JoJo-Its really slipped this last while but its still good. Im sure they'll pick back up for the finale.

Bad show watched out of obligation

Gundam IBO
Show by Rock 2-what the hell happened to this? Its just no fun anymore. Shingan are literally the only thing left worth watching.

Taruranto

Erin 40-41
puoScjQ.jpg

LWp0K5Z.jpg

EglFKfg.jpg
This Queen is a moron.

"We have the power to end this war forever, let's not do it and instead let us fuck them for the next 100 years or so."

lol this is not happening

Also, what the hell, the baby was HER? Was I suppose to realize it? I always though it was whathername.

I did not expect for her to come to her sense and believe Erin' story. I GUESS the fact that she was never told the truth about the Beastlord because her parents got murdered SORTA makes some of her behaviors understandable, but she still a moron for not running her country.

Line_HTX

So Oshii says that ScarJo as Motoko Kusanagi is going above and beyond what he expected the role to be.

I wonder if that's just PR speak.

Qurupeke

I know it's only halfway through the season, but I don't think Reina has played that much of a role in Season 2. There's been more of her but I don't feel she's done anything particularly interesting thus far. She's been giving opinions which are literally categorised as "Reina answers", pined for Taki-sensei, and played as part of the concert band.

I mean, she's hung out with Kumiko more, but I dunno, I don't feel their dynamic has developed all that much.

Granted, the focus hasn't been on her all that much, and that's fair. I'm just struggling to think of any Season 2 scenes - that aren't the concert scenes - with her that stand out, aside from maybe the first episode.

I'm not bashing her, mind. She's still a very watchable character and the seasom is still only half-done, I just don't feel the most has been made of her increased screentime. Still awesome though!

Yuuko and Natsuki are great though. The former especially is a very interesting character, and I like her progression from Season 1.
More Reina doesn't necessarily mean she has to be an important character. Other than the scene on the festival on episode 1, I can't think of any stands out either. However, I feel she gets a lot more casual scenes with Kumiko, full of small details that make me appreciate her and see her character in a new light. Teasing each other, telling secrets or just chatting, everything adds to a realistic relationship among two really good friends. For the most part of S1, she was the mysterious, perfect transfer student, but in S2 we see more of her real self, a personality she didn't show to anyone. She has her quirks, she can be cheerful and she's more human than it seemed. Granted, S1 also tackled this, S2 is just like a really good aftermath. Actually, I wasn't even a huge fan of Reina until this season.

So Oshii says that ScarJo as Motoko Kusanagi is going above and beyond what he expected the role to be.

I wonder if that's just PR speak.

I can believe that Oshii believes that, but I don't trust his aesthetic judgment these days (and he was never trustworthy when it came to live action).

Szadek

Great
Shuumatsu no Izetta
Fune wo Amu
Flip Flappers

Good
3-gatsu no Lion
Chi's Sweet Home
Gi(a)rlish Number
Hibike! Euphonium 2

Meh
Drifters
Soushin Shoujo Matoi

Hate Watch
Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku

On Hold :
ViVid Strike!( I had no idea this was related to Nanoha at the time)

Dropped:
Yuri!!! on Ice( I really don't care for sports anime)
Bloodivores
Cheating Craft
Keijo!
Nanbaka
Tiger Mask W
Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru
Trickster
Kiss him not me
Scorching Ping Pong Girls

Occultic;Nine Tier:

Occultic;Nine
Ao Oni The Animation

I also still need to finish season 1 of IBO, but that can wait right now.

pbayne

Digimon Appli Monsters 6

Probably the most by the numbers episode so far. Eri is a fun character though. Hope the rapper kid rounds the main cast out well.

Wakfu 1-5

This is some dope stuff.
Apparently Masaaki Yuasa & the Kaiba team works on some special episode later on too. So anime.

Phenomenal
Haikyuu

Pretty Good
Ping Pong Girls
JoJo
Keijo!!!!!!!!

Decent
All Out!!

Dropped / On-Hold
Yuri!! on Ice
Sound! Euphonium (not started S2 yet)

Szadek

Hibike! Euphonium 2 - Ep. 6
Good episode.
I had no idea that I want to know Noboru Taki's backstory until I got it.

Flip Flapper Ep. 6
Damn, that was a really good episode.
The use of the colors orange and blue was especially strong:
Iro's normal life is cold and harsch, while the time warm and welcoming. This is the part of her mind where she seeks refuge from her otherwise depressing life.
As the illness of her aunt progress even that part of her life turns blue.
However, cocona and papika mange to save that part of her mind by fulling Iro's promisse.

If they keeo this up, this is going to be my AOTY.

TrueBlue

More Reina doesn't necessarily mean she has to be an important character. Other than the scene on the festival on episode 1, I can't think of any stands out either. However, I feel she gets a lot more casual scenes with Kumiko, full of small details that make me appreciate her and see her character in a new light. Teasing each other, telling secrets or just chatting, everything adds to a realistic relationship among two really good friends. For the most part of S1, she was the mysterious, perfect transfer student, but in S2 we see more of her real self, a personality she didn't show to anyone. She has her quirks, she can be cheerful and she's more human than it seemed. Granted, S1 also tackled this, S2 is just like a really good aftermath. Actually, I wasn't even a huge fan of Reina until this season.

I don't disagree at all. I appreciate all these scenes for the reasons you mentioned. Their relationship and chemistry is very engaging, so even small little scenes like the majority of the ones in this season are very enjoyable.

Reina has had a great relationship with Kumiko since Episode 8 of Season 1, and I love they're that expressing that in these scenes.

But that's the thing. All these small scenes just express the strength of their relationship, and that's been the only real theme in their scenes since before the end of Season 1. There's been nothing overly significant added to their dynamic, nor has there been any conflict.

I dunno. Maybe I'm overthinking it. It's not so much a bad thing to show how strong a friendship is. I just think more could be done. Still, it's probably more due to a lack of focus more than anything.

TheFlow

Banned
whoever recommended Mob psycho to me here you were right. I love this.

Almost done with baby steps as well.

edit: the anime op for both are amazing as well. can't believe I slept on these

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
New game.

Every time you post WWW.Working and GAF tries to turn it into a url, you have to give me £5.

javac

Patlabor 1
Limited Edition With Slip Case
Release Date: November 30th 2016
Units: 600
Retail Price: ₩ 33,000

Physical Contents:
Full Slip Case, Photo card, MiniPato Stickers, Numbered Card, Poster

Disc Contents:
Video: 1080P HD 1.78: 1 AVC
Audio: Japanese Dolby True HD 5.1, English Dolby Digital 5.1, Japanese Leaner PCM Surround
Subtitle: Hangul, English

Lenticular Version:

Patlabor 2

Physical Contents:

Disc Contents:
Audio: Japanese Dolby True HD 5.1, English Dolby Digital 5.1, Japanese Leaner PCM Surround

Lenticular Version:

Patlabor 3

Physical Contents:

Disc Contents:
Audio: Japanese Dolby True HD 5.1, Japanese Leaner PCM Surround
Extras: Minipato 1,2 3

Lenticular Version:

Jex

But the Patlabor already had one of the best special releases around! Full storyboards for both movies. A huge series of translated interviews and information. Art galore!

Magical Girl Raising Project has me wondering are there many other "magical girl" anime/manga with magical girls who are actually adults?

Edit: by that I mean transformed or whatever into the typical magical girls.

javac

But the Patlabor already had one of the best special releases around! Full storyboards for both movies. A huge series of translated interviews and information. Art galore!

I have those! Literally bought them just for the storyboards! Sits next to my End of Eva storyboards. Back when the extras were actually interesting. Not a fan of these Korean sets, they were supposed to be steelbooks but I guess plans changed when they bumped into issues with approvals since it was supposed to be out in July.

Victory Gundam 9-12

Dang, those BESPA guys are very evil. I mean damn.

On another note, the battles for the PCST escape+the Shrike team was really cool. Lots of cool teamwork.

Also I don't know if anyone here can tell me, but why was Shakti crying and planting seeds during that fight? I did not understand her reasoning.

Quasar

Guess I'll make a list too.

Loving
Pocos Udon World
Euphonium
Natsume
Great Passage
March Comes in like a Lion

Liking
Girlish Number
Working
Student Council President

On Hold
Izetta
Yuri on Ice

Dropped
Keijo
Magical Girl Raising
Flip flappers
occultic;Nine
Wixxoss
Kiss him not me

Sölf

Keijo!!!!!!!! 06
Okay episode, but then that one stupid thing happened and I burst out laughing again. God, I love this show. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom