• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 episode 7

Was nice to see all the new characters and their abilities in action. Also we got see Ango again,
at least for a while.

Rm8qUR5.jpg
xaVOIIb.jpg
QlSmiAp.jpg

LX4zN9s.jpg
rMyt48D.jpg
CCPP9wq.jpg

blurr

Great Tier stuff from this season

Kumiko Euphonium S2
Fune wo Amu - recent episode was not so impressive though

Good Tier

3Gatsu no Lion - if only it didn't rely on monologues to a painful degree
Girlish Number - mixed mostly but it's still fundamentally interesting for me
Nyanbo - cute

Okay-Bad Tier

Iron Blooded Orphans S2

went to GDC and met Swery-san today

Diamond is Unbreakable 33

A 4 parter, huh? Guessing that will be really uncommon outside of final boss fights. But I think most of next weeks episode will be focused on My Dad is Not My Dad and setting up the Kira finale. I don't think Cheap Trick is very long.

This episode was actually really, really good. Up to par with the first two cours aside from some off model shots.

I forgot what was in the piece of paper and almost choked to death laughing.

Paltheos

Gundam IBO S2 - I don't understand why people are hating this?

Likewise. I'm 1 (2?) episodes behind, so I might be a little out of the loop but it all seems... perfectly serviceable to me. I've been a little down on IBO since a "dramatic" twist near the end of S1 that resulted in some questionable conclusions on the right course of action for our plucky crew, but IBO's been as solid a Gundam TV series as we've had in years (and it's good too). It tries to take itself seriously and it has a pretty competent production crew behind from what I've seen.

I'll definitely say that S2 has been weaker so far than the first - It follows in line with the course Tekkadan's on from S1 without really showing the negative consequences of it but I can forgive it because S1 was pretty good on the whole and the show did make a point to openly acknowledge that there may be consequences. I mean... nothing we've seen so far has actually set them up, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

There's one other thing I haven't liked (and probably everyone watching the show feels this way) - The inclusion of the obligatory new recruit who also, of course, wants to pilot a Gundam mobile suit (whatever, it doesn't matter). On the plus side, this type of character lets us see how Tekkadan's growing and see some stuff on the bottom now, but he never had to want to be the best there ever was. The stupid kids from S1 filled the role of bottom dwellers and they didn't complain about it (or at least the show didn't take it seriously if they did). The new guys could have done the same damn thing. This type of character (whose name I don't even remember so I'll just keep referring to him as 'that guy') reeks of production committee interference. There's a few things like that in S2, like pilots now shouting out their names and whatnot when they launch that I don't remember from S1 but maybe permanently associate with Gundam 00 because of the stupid extremes that show went to in making sure it always happened while cramming in as much exposition while doing it as possible.

After watching the Patlabor reboot short, I think the creative team did a good job of modernizing the setting.

Now turn it into a full 26ep TV anime!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 33:

I wish I had more to say about this series but I don't.

Line_HTX

More people need to experience the wonderous Wolf's Rain OST as well, jazz or Cheza's song or whichever.

Nice picture of the actual flower that Funi tweeted out.

Trickster #6

Remember fellas: If you ever get spattered with hot lava, just cover your face with your arms!

QUALITY, sci-fi and bad writing... I feel like I'm watching Psycho Pass all over again!

I love how no one questions barefoot boy in non school uniform in the middle of classes is walking around the school and in the library.

Also it is the best sci-fi and writing this season.

Great use of a 3D printer.

And if one didnt smile at the gift for his birthday, shame on them.

Qurupeke

CxAjHjZUAAAM2gS.jpg:large

I always knew the Swiss were good people.

Wow, Europe is fucking terrible. No wonder they don't license so many shows here. Keijo here, shame.

I find it fascinating that the southern countries, other than Italy, are watching Keijo, while the central-east Europe is Yuri. Meanwhile, quite a lot Drifters on the north. However, Russia not supporting Yuri is a surprise.

The Great Passage 5

The scene between Nishioka and the director in the conference room was amazing. All the subtle things the director did to throw Nishioka off: arriving late, being all smiles and enthusiasm, praising Nishioka, and then causally dropping the bomb of Nishioka's transfer as if it was a promotion. Nishioka starts to put up resistance and then - bam! - the hand comes down, the director allows himself one brief moment of anger - and then it's all back to smiles and he quickly rushes out without allowing Nishioka to get a word in edgewise. Such great bubbling tension, accentuated by the visual direction which drove home the pressure being put on Nishioka. All through the episode there was a lot of great framing and character animation for Nishioka which clearly conveyed his emotional turmoil and personality. A moment like Nishioka's pause in the middle of his phone conversation with his girlfriend when he realizes that she has heard about his transfer - it's a simple thing, but executed very effectively.

The existence of this show alone justifies noitamina's continued existence, even if their entire 2017 output ends up being trash.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 33

I was just thinking about how this show was sliding down my AOTY ranking yet his ep made me think I might've been hasty in even considering it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Been watching 00 Gundam Season 2 this morning.

God this is boring. Everyone has a bland uniform now. All the Gundams still suck. None of the characters are remotely interesting despite how many crazy character beats they have.

Narag

Ugh...
Cx_AMUT5_W8_AAo1d5.jpg

...I wouldn't wish Pepsi on the worst stand user.

Good episode otherwise.

Much like how Stardust Crusaders has two adaptations, it's nice alternatives exist:
GMxjtrn.gif

God this is boring. Everyone has a bland uniform now. All the Gundams still suck. None of the characters are remotely interesting despite how many crazy character beats they have.

It stays awful until the last ep which just turns on max fan wank and is kinda cool for it.

Really? Ribbons Hallmark, especially Saji Crossroads, and Setsuna F Seiei are the real stars of s2, I dont see how one can think its boring.

phaze

High Q S2 06

35%~ of this season will be the final set. Maybe now it will be interesting fully.

The funniest thing is that they spent barely 2 minutes and 15 seconds on third set and if you don't count Shiratorizawa's setters flashback, it amounted to literally 50 seconds and two plays. I didn't even notice we were in fourth set until today's episode.

----
Oh boy, it's rankings time ?
Good/ decent:
To Be Hero
Bungou Stray Dogs
Sangatsu
Hibike
Haikyuu
That Nobunaga ninja short

Watchable enough:
Ajin
Girlish Number ( Only on ep 2)

Watching for reasons:
Drifters

Dropped/ Put on Hold
Keijo - Trash
Tiger Mask
Occultic Nine
Yuri on Ice - This is a weird one, I enjoyed the premiere a lot but my enthusiasm for it quickly petered out (up to #3) I dunno it feels like the comedy and the fujo pandering reduce the character interactions to some kind of parody a lot of time and judging by ep 3, I'm just not feeling skating as sport all that much. Will try picking it back up if the impressions are favourable

Girlish Number - 04

Can't say I'm enjoying it so I'll drop it here. I'm not opposed to a more cynical look at the industry but I'm not enjoying watching a one-note sleazy producer be an incompetent ass for 50% of the episode. Writing seems to be mediocre at best, too, which no longer comes as a surprised since I just found out Girlish Number is from the same author of SNAFU. Chitose's snark is fun, alright, but does she or anyone have any depth? Is there any outstanding dialogue? Nah.

Shirobako with its wide cast didn't give too much attention to any one character, but as Hossana said in one of his episode impressions, that show manages to establish many of them well despite of that.

Szadek

Guess what, the dirctor of Flip Flappers also worked on Space Dandy.
Episode 5 of Season 2 is pretty much his baby as he did almost everything (Episode Director , Key animator, Storyboard , Script and Animation Director).

Sterok

Lostorage Incited Wixoss 6

The edge oozing from Chinatsu is so sharp it hurts. Though even she has difficulty taking advantage of a little girl. Satomi's intelligence network must be bigger than what I first thought if he knows people who haven't joined him. Relations between Suzuko and Hanna have worsened. Oh dear, fight between the two leads already. Chinatsu really wants Suzu to hate her. I'd say Suzu found a clever Berserk counter, but I can't understand the logic behind the game under normal circumstances, let alone attacking the battlefield. Pity that Suzu didn't use Honest to get some answers from Chinatsu. Wait, I thought time stopped during a battle. Now it's not? Cop-out.

Line_HTX

Guess what, the dirctor of Flip Flappers also worked on Space Dandy.
Episode 5 of Season is pretty much his baby as he did almost everything (Episode Director , Key animator, Storyboard , Script and Animation Director).

Oh, that's really interesting. Probably explains some of the contrast in colors for some places.

Village

Hello. Due to... events, I need to cheer myself. up

I'm looking for more mecha stuff and drama and romance.

How's Iron blooded Orphans? Can anyone help in the drama and romance categories?

Thank you all for your time.

jgminto

Diamond is Unbreakable 33
This reminded me of just how good the Enigma fight is, I love the complete absurdity of it. It was nice to see that DavidPro can still put out an episode that can visually deliver, even if it wasn't a complete success.

phaze

How's Iron blooded Orphans? Can anyone help in the drama and romance categories?

Romance wise I'd rec 5cm per Second, Girl Who Leapt Through Time but I dunno about them cheering you up ... + Toradora and maybe Arakawa Under the Bridge though that one is much more of a comedy then romance I guess

Ascheroth

I'm seconding Kuromukuro. Iron Blooded Orphans is alright. S1 is mostly good, with a somewhat weak stretch in the middle, S2 has been good to ehh.

I'd also recommend Kiznaiver for Romance/Drama.

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a must watch in terms of mecha. Has drama and romance as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom