• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

Hello. Due to... events, I need to cheer myself. up

I'm looking for more mecha stuff and drama and romance.

How's Iron blooded Orphans? Can anyone help in the drama and romance categories?

Thank you all for your time.
First season of IBO was good. Stay tuned for the current season, the last episode was exceptionally awful but maybe they can right it quickly.

Verelios

Hello. Due to... events, I need to cheer myself. up

I'm looking for more mecha stuff and drama and romance.

How's Iron blooded Orphans? Can anyone help in the drama and romance categories?

Thank you all for your time.
For Drama/romance/comedy try out Welcome to the N.H.K. Really put my life in perspective when I was at a dark place.

As for mecha, I enjoyed IBO, but it suffers a lot from 00, Wing and Turn A's trappings without the actual effort of Turn A. It's the best Gundam this decade though besides Build Fighters, so there's that. Actually, I'll recommend Lightningbolt, the four part miniseries if you're interested in good Gundam action and drama, with an excellent score.

Toradora is great for romance and comedy. I'll also throw in Boys on the Slope which is phenomenal at being heartwarming and romantic.

The Great Passage - 05

Animation has gone back to form after last week's slip up.

Man's writing a love letter at his age, good lord. And she was so confused when she got it too ahaha. Still I really feel for Nishioka. That's a really shitty move from his boss.

Taruranto

I don't think the first season of IBO was particularly good personally, especially everything related to Kudelia and that awful arc on the colony. I don't think it had any amazing moments, at "best" it was just ok.

S2 being mediocre is the most natural follow up, really.

Village

Thanks for the suggestions

Romance wise I'd rec 5cm per Second, Girl Who Leapt Through Time but I dunno about them cheering you up ... + Toradora and maybe Arakawa Under the Bridge though that one is much more of a comedy then romance I guess
Im a weirdo who likes drama ans stuff to cheer him up instead of comedy romance. To give perspective, the last romance drama focused anime I watched was nana and tht was ages ago

Haikyuu!! S3 - 06

Seeing that bit from the 3rd years' past was great. I honestly ready for the whole episode to be just that, a look into their past, but we were quickly brought back to the present. And what an episode this week. Idk how they do it, but every week is better and more hype than the previous one. This is the pure example of a show this season that each week keeps getting better and better with its delivery.

Wolf's Rain on Blu-ray? Yes. :D

Wait a minute, no Blu-ray release in Japan. What's Funi's track record with upscales that they are responsible for?

Haikyuu S3 - 06

This show sure is bearing the fruit of it's labor, that being all the effort put into establishing its (Karasuno) characters and planning their characterization so well. By now I'm fully invested in pretty much the entire lineup and the stakes feel always high just because of that alone.

And man, I think I could easily feel sick and tired of for example Hinata's and Kageyama's relationship and character shenanigans. But, instead I end up with a smile on my face when the two are bickering yet again. Because there's so many characters and smaller side stories, this stuff doesn't get repetitive to the point of annoyance. Like, it was probably the worst for me early on in the first season when that stuff played a bigger role per episode.

Oh and this OP really is the best, first Haikyuu one that I don't skip occasionally. Also probably my favorite of the season but I haven't seen nearly all OPs so there's that.

Goku is such a cutie pie as a kid but god damn the fact he's still so childlike as an adult where he apparently has never kissed chichi but has banged her is so fucking weird. Like did she trick him into it?

Goku is such a cutie pie as a kid but god damn the fact he's still so childlike as an adult where he apparently has never kissed chichi but has banged her is so fucking weird. Like did she trick him into it?

The twisted dark side of DB. I bet she even held his hand once without consent. absolutely disgusting

Narag

Chi's Sweet Adventure has the best OP of this season, but Haikyuu S3 and Great Passage come right behind it.

Speaking of OPs, I finally came around fully on that latest JoJo OP. Felt like it carried on the spirit of the Kamikaze Douga ones what with the attention to detail and creativity on display.

Sex? What form of training is that?

King training
gBeMVjZ.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
This has to be one of the best episodes out of all the Haikyuu seasons from a storyboarding perspective.

Good fucking lord. Great color usage (and shadows), symbolism, and shot choice. This is probably the most creative I think I've seen the storyboarding be. The ground falling behind Karasuno in that match point was an awesome way of visually showing them being cornered. Then there's the character models which jumped up in quality from prior episodes.

Ridiculously good. Not to mention some great animation cuts and new soundtrack pieces that sound like Hayashi firing on all cylinders early on. The intro sequences came out of left field and did a great job summing up the emotions of the third years. This was a fucking great episode and it didn't even have any series-high hype moments like a couple of episodes back with Tsuki!
Damn.

To think this has only been 1 match! And it's not even done yet. There is so much diversity even though the stakes are the same every week. It is indeed the storyboarding, the character back story and plot investment that is making it all work so well. If you made it to this point and tell me you can't find these episodes great and interesting, I won't believe you.

Jarmel

Banned
So I don't know if most of that introductory sequence in Haikyuu was anime original but I was curious and just checked and it's not in that section of the manga. This is what an anime adaptation should be. oooo boy

Quasar

Thanks for the suggestions

Im a weirdo who likes drama ans stuff to cheer him up instead of comedy romance. To give perspective, the last romance drama focused anime I watched was nana and tht was ages ago

Maybe you should watch White Album 2 then.

Cornbread78

Udon no Kuni ep.3
Such a relaxing best bro episode. Well, with some Poco cuteness added in. Too bad poor Poco is afraid of a lil' octapus, lol. New character introduction coming next episode and it's an adult lady, lol.

Cheating Craft Episode 6

Interesting way to do a death episode. Too bad bug guy is treated so badly :(

Indirect kiss was the best, and the urinal scene, lol.

Nazotokine Ep 6

First time seeing, Dove, the soap, in anime. More english puzzles please.

There's nothing that makes me laugh more than watching Goku's return when he meets Goten and everyone is crying and excited.

Then you see Vegeta and Trunks with a pissed off look in between the shots of everyone

Jarmel

Banned
I think I prefer the Karasuno vs Shiratorizawa match over the second Aoba Johsai one at this point. There's less unforced errors and just both teams playing to their max, closer to the first Aoba Johsai match in that regards.

I think I prefer the Karasuno vs Shiratorizawa match over the second Aoba Johsai one at this point. There's less unforced errors and just both teams playing to their max, closer to the first Aoba Johsai match in that regards.

I really don't care about anyone on Shiratorizawa tho.

Jarmel

Banned
I really don't care about anyone on Shiratorizawa tho.

I don't care about anyone on Aoba Johsai other than Oikawa. Besides the first match fleshed out Oikawa much better than the second Aoba Johsai did. The Shiratorizawa match has Tsukki pretty much coming into his own which is more than anything in the second Johsai match. This is Tsukki's match at this point and that's kinda interesting as the show/manga hyped up the Hinata/Wakatoshi showdown.

Yuri On Ice Episode 6

Kind of a waste of time, whats the point of not showing third best character (Guang Hong Ji) skating performance but yet another iteration of the same spins and jumps that we know and have seen from Katsuki Yuri for the tenth time, he isnt even that good to deserve all this screentime. Also all that praise was odd to use at this point, that seemed like stuff to say during the final round of the tourney.

Phichit song was good. Leo de la Iglesia had the best song in the anime so far, there is no bad Still Alive.

Sound Euphonium S2 1

The photography team at KyoAni are really working on overdrive here. Sometimes they're doing too much - the depth of field/blurring can be poorly applied in some shots, and some of the lens flares and other effects just clutter up the visual composition. But I appreciate the aggressive experimentation that's going on, and some of the shots, such as Mizore staring out the bus window, are really effective.

Clov

Wolf's Rain on Blu-ray? Yes. :D

Wait a minute, no Blu-ray release in Japan. What's Funi's track record with upscales that they are responsible for?

Not great. I'm glad that Wolf's Rain has been licensed again since it's one of my favorites, but I would wait and see how this set turns out before buying it.

Amazing Tier
Haikyuu
Sound! Euphonium

Great Tier
March Comes like a Lion

Good Tier
Kiss him not me

Average Tier
Occultic;NIne (could be higher by seasons end)

Dropped Tier
Keijo!!!!!
All Out (May come back later)

convo

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 33

I was just thinking about how this show was sliding down my AOTY ranking yet his ep made me think I might've been hasty in even considering it.

All people are miffed about is that the production values slip sometimes, and compared to the part 1 anime this isn't much. They need to take a break between cours like they did with Stardust Crusaders.

Narag

All people are miffed about is that the production values slip sometimes, and compared to the part 1 anime this isn't much. They need to take a break between cours like they did with Stardust Crusaders.

Coupling the weaker production with the lingering Atom Heart Father stuff driving 8 of the 9 last episodes to mixed success is enough to give one pause. The show set a high bar for itself with the amusing stories about the town having some great production values. When one or the other slips, I didn't mind but when both become problematic, it's roundly disappointing. I appreciated the format before the Kira revelation too but after, despite some great moments with the characters, it's edged uncomfortably close to side questing.

Quasar

Kiss him, not me 6 - Shipping is serious business.

Great Passage 5 - Well that was fast. And that really is crappy payback. And damn Majime...talk about old fashion. Wonder how she will react. I guess intra company relationships are frowned upon in Japan.

Jex

To address each of your points in turn:

1. "Production values slip sometimes"

This seems to be an overly generous assessment of the situation.

I would argue that the frequency of the "production value slips" have been increasing over time until they make up a larger and larger percentage of each individual episode.

The last few weeks have been steadily declining in terms of their ration of acceptable art vs bad art until we arrived at last weeks episode where +50% of the episode looked awful.

2. "and compared to the part 1 anime this isn't much"

You can't set the bar that low and then congratulate the show for clearing it. Yes, compared to Mars of Destruction, DIU is a far better produced work. But on any other scale it's comes out less favourably.

A far more useful comparison isn't JoJo's Part 1 but the start of JoJo's Part 4 where the series looked good every single week.

Finally, your argument makes the assumption that the only thing people are complaining about is the production values e.g. the spotty art. But what I, and others, have complained about is the declining quality of the direction. The earlier parts of this adaptation were noted for their strikingly creative transitions and generally slick direction, These powerful directorial flourishes have all but disappeared as the show entered production crunch. This is as a big a problem, if not a bigger problem, than inconsistent art.

phaze

CxAjHjZUAAAM2gS.jpg:large

I always knew the Swiss were good people.

Moldovan hipsters ...

Bungou Stray Dogs 19

Still good. This ep felt a bit disjointed as there were like, four distinct things going on but I guess that's better than dragging on some of these fights.

Ango feels a bit wasted in this scenario but it's nice that the show at least provides an excuse of why Guild can just roam the city unhindered by anyone else than Agency. Enjoyed Dazai providing Atsushi with a bit of serious advice for once as well as the final boss not waiting for scores of his subordinates to get done in before jumping into action. I guess maybe now we find out why the Guild even wants Atsushi, you'd think this would be a question the latter or the Agency itself would be puzzled about but instead they completely ignore it ...

jgminto

You can't set the bar that low and then congratulate the show for clearing it. Yes, compared to Mars of Destruction, DIU is a far better produced work. But on any other scale it's comes out less favourably.
Ahhh, Mars of Destruction now that's some quality awfulness. Easily the worst thing to ever feature on The List. Speaking of, I don't even remember the last time I saw The List posted in this thread. I wonder how many of the people posting these days even know of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom