• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thud

All Out 6

Let's go to Koshien!

Finally going all out~

Diamond is Unbearable 33

Enigma is the first stand that really shows that the mind can make even a crappy stand extremely powerful.

Next up is finishing Cheap Trick and My Dad Is Not My Dad.

Qurupeke

Girlish Number 5
PUZjivn.jpg
BgQgFm7.jpg
Oh my god. The Chitose bashing never ends. The anime is a mistake and everyone is broken in a million pieces. Fear not though, we're about to see the producer's secret plan... The real despair starts now.

Szadek

Smile Precure - Ep. 30-32
Ep. 30 was pretty nice, since got the see the Precure on worldtour and thier mermaid froms.

Ep. 31 was great. The scene with candy in the dreamworld were pretty cool
32 was dissappoting, since it was basically 31 again. Looks like there are even more decors to collect ,too...
You know, I like when a show like this has a scenes of progression, but resting it twice is just agonising.
Also, what's the point of a new speical attack that looks almost excatly the same as the last one?

Drifters - Ep. 6
Another good episode, maybe the is still hope left for this show.
In theory this should be an amazing show, but the stupid jokes are really dragging it down.

convo

Finally, your argument makes the assumption that the only thing people are complaining about is the production values e.g. the spotty art. But what I, and others, have complained about is the declining quality of the direction. The earlier parts of this adaptation were noted for their strikingly creative transitions and generally slick direction, These powerful directorial flourishes have all but disappeared as the show entered production crunch. This is as a big a problem, if not a bigger problem, than inconsistent art.

Fair points all around, don't think i heard about direction issues being corrected for blu-rays. I don't hate them compressing stuff but they do sacrifice more than they did at the beginning of the season. I am not excusing the quality ,though i am hoping for a better handling of the production. Getting depressed about moments not hitting it quite like the manga isn't worth it for me. With jojo seemingly guaranteed to continue getting adapted it gets more like looking forward to the next season of Ace of Diamonds or Ippo whenever those things come out. My standards are low in a sense that i would marathon the fairy tail dub just because i'd have nothing else to do.

Clov

To address each of your points in turn:

This seems to be an overly generous assessment of the situation.

I would argue that the frequency of the "production value slips" have been increasing over time until they make up a larger and larger percentage of each individual episode.

The last few weeks have been steadily declining in terms of their ration of acceptable art vs bad art until we arrived at last weeks episode where +50% of the episode looked awful.

You can't set the bar that low and then congratulate the show for clearing it. Yes, compared to Mars of Destruction, DIU is a far better produced work. But on any other scale it's comes out less favourably.

A far more useful comparison isn't JoJo's Part 1 but the start of JoJo's Part 4 where the series looked good every single week.

Finally, your argument makes the assumption that the only thing people are complaining about is the production values e.g. the spotty art. But what I, and others, have complained about is the declining quality of the direction. The earlier parts of this adaptation were noted for their strikingly creative transitions and generally slick direction, These powerful directorial flourishes have all but disappeared as the show entered production crunch. This is as a big a problem, if not a bigger problem, than inconsistent art.

Frankly I think the disappearance of the earlier episode's more striking direction is a much bigger problem; I could live with subpart visuals, since those could at least be corrected for the BD. The show as it is now just isn't as fun to watch anymore. There's still the general silliness of it all to keep me entertained, but it used to have more than that. It's disappointing.

pbayne

JoJo DiU 33

Ill be very happy when this arc is finally done. Lol holy fuck that blatant straight shot of a Pepsi ad though.

Haikyuu 6

Last set set to be a war. Just please don't do anything shounen dumb like "Wakatoshi hasn't reached full power yet" or some bullshit like that.

Flip Flappers 6

What a belter of an episode.

All Out 6

DTL did you write the opening of this episode? The coach feels like he's teleported in from a much better show.

Great Passage 5

Office politics, Nisioka got taken to school. Majime is so awkward, id be terrified if someone tried to ask me out like that.

Yuri on Ice 6

Jeez in a season with All Out and Haikyuu, this still manages to be the most straight forward shounen sports show. There's nothing going on outside of the skating.

I think a big problem for viewers is the show can't really communicate why people are getting better scores(lol does anyone understand skatings scoring system apart from the judges?). Plus its hard to compare why Yuri is suddenly scoring more when stylistically his performance looks the exact same as before. The only thing to really go on is Victor commentating "oh he's doing better".

But that last guy dry humping the ice was pretty special all right.

convo

Drifters 06

I always wondered how Hitler could possibly miss the party during the Hellsing finale, he obviously took the wrong turn and ended up here instead.
Don't know how many high-stakes battles they can fit in the next 6 episodes but it is a lot more progress in their war-effort than i expected. It's enough to look forward to all the drifters meeting up.

Clov

I don't know if anyone heard, but Viz announced some plans they have for the Sailor Moon R movie. They're going to be putting it into American theaters for a bit starting in January. No word on the home video release yet, or whether it's an upscale like the TV series. I still have some hope that it's been restored from the film; there's been other Toei shows where the TV series is upscaled but the movies actually had proper HD versions made (Digimon and DBZ off the top of my head, though I think there's a few others).

/XX/

宮﨑 駿に再び火がついた! 最新作のきっかけはゴミ拾い?♢終わらない人 宮﨑駿 |NHK_PR|NHKオンライン
http://www6.nhk.or.jp/nhkpr/post/original.html?i=08006

Could we see in a few hours time a little sneak-peek of Hayao Miyazaki's Boro the Caterpillar on the new NHK special called Tireless Legend Hayao Miyazaki? I know, fat chance being a short for Ghibli Museum, although some promotional shots extracted from finished cuts wouldn't be out of the question either, I think. Those selected images taken from the documentary show him all alone, but don't worry... there's apparently a grand total of 10 people working on the animated project! Mostly on facets of the production of 3DCGI work he doesn't has experience with.
And not that a bigger headcount matters much because he probably would correct (read conform into his own) any input from others on aspects he usually controls anyway.

It won't probably have the inherent tension of other famous NHK documentary Poppy Hill: 300 Days War of Father and Son - Hayao Miyazaki & Goro Miyazaki (that gave the first hints of what would be the final feature film of Miyazaki Sr.), but it could be a look mighty interesting on its own at his "lonesome" semi-retirement.

No Haikyuu? Reconfirmed for my commitment to not go to Europe ever.
It isn't available through that platform on most European countries. I can't attest for its popularity on other places, but in Spain it warranted that the biggest telecommunications services provider with the biggest IPTV platform committed to its exclusive licensing (but sadly are lagging behind on the newest 'cour' airing).

DreamFes Episode 7

KUROFUNE is awful. I much prefer Traffic Signal.

All Out! Episode 6

This gets even better. The coach is doing so much for the team, and all the love for Ebumi-san is fantastic. Truant Deliquent did good in rallying the team to take it to the next level.

Gion yelling always when most of the team is exhausted is hilarious, especially the final one where they had to do one more hour of running

Time Bokan 24 Ep 6

Surprised the 48 political drama in the show didnt have a different type of president since most of the shows I seem to watch have a female in power or someone of a different ethnic background.

Also why Christopher Columbus have to always say colum, lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
An Anime Glossery of Terms

Anime Style
All anime follows a set style in which all characters have big eyes, no noses and crazy hair. If it doesn't have these then it isn't anime but just animation from Japan.​

Moe
Something that is so sickly cute it turns your stomach just looking at it.​

Otaku
Perverts.​

Sakuga
Describes animation that isn't just mouth flaps.​

Seinen
Shows designed for mature audiences featuring though men doing manly things.​

Shoujo
Shows designed for for girls and otaku. Just girls doing girly things like discussing chocolate pastries.​

Shounen
Anything that you can describe as "Dragon Ball Z with". For example One Piece is Dragon Ball Z with pirate.​

Waifu
A character you'd love to have pre-marital sex with.​

phaze

Is anyone here watching Fune Wo Amu?

Is it any good?

The Great Passage - 05

Animation has gone back to form after last week's slip up.

Man's writing a love letter at his age, good lord. And she was so confused when she got it too ahaha. Still I really feel for Nishioka. That's a really shitty move from his boss.

Chi's Sweet Adventure has the best OP of this season, but Haikyuu S3 and Great Passage come right behind it.

Kiss him, not me 6 - Shipping is serious business.

Great Passage 5 - Well that was fast. And that really is crappy payback. And damn Majime...talk about old fashion. Wonder how she will react. I guess intra company relationships are frowned upon in Japan.

The Great Passage - 05

lmao

Good episode yet again.

Great Passage 5

Office politics, Nisioka got taken to school. Majime is so awkward, id be terrified if someone tried to ask me out like that.

eincwfwmmro0.png

Kiss Him Not Me Episode 6

Sorry but befriend anyone who pairs doesnt pair SasuNaru.

NanaShino was the best part, especially durving convos, I also love how Shinomiya cant read the mood and always says the thing that gets any plan off track.

www.working 7

Once you accept what the show is and isn't, the gags become less annoying. To be fair at least Rich girl and Crying boy's relationship finally evolved a step from both ends. Higashida and Miyakoshi still technically have 5 episodes so the ship fully sails but I guess that today's episode was a huge step in the right direction.

None of the other relationships and characters really had much of a focus. But I did laugh at the baby happily slapping Yuuta with the lottery tickets and the mom going "Don't become a sugar mama to a guy like him".

Sterok

Shuumatsu no Izetta 7

Really subtle on Fine/Izetta show. Nice battle, and once again it's apparent that Izetta's main advantages are her small size and maneuverability. So much for her being the last witch.

jman2050

www Working!! 7

I keep thinking the Valentine gag will get old but it never does. Instead it just gets better each time.

The Yuuta/Shiho segment was just great all the way through.

javac

I've been staring at a blank word document for the last 2 hours, I've forgotten how to start a review it seems.

In other news, I can't stop listening to the Belladonna of Sadness soundtrack, absolutely phenomenal.

Kanashimi no Belladonna

Valle Incantata -The Vocal rendition of this is incredible, can't find it on YouTube tho.

TBSF

Incredible film.

Sterok

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku 7

So Calamity Mary did care a bit about Magicaloid. I guess she did like hanging around someone. Bloody hell, Hardgore Alice really is invincible. Blown up, burnt to ashes, stuffed into a container, thrown into the sea, and she still comes back no worse for where. Shame Magicaloid is gone, because unless Swim Swim has something really broken Magicaloid getting a teleport to the moon gun or something seems to be the only way to beat her. Other than Alice dropping out, but that isn't happening while people are dying. Of course the twins are university students with that level of deviousness and immaturity. Ripple is one of those people who life always kicks around, and her response is to be violent. Top Speed getting through to her is a miracle. And she can even guilt trip Ripple. Alice's aims remain a mystery, but she is on Snow White's side. Swim Swim has an evil plan. Since Winterprison is on the verge of coming to a revelation, she's probably safe, so Sister Nana is probably the next victim.

javac

Oh yeah Belladonna of Sadness is on Filmstruck for those that might be curious.

That's awesome, I'm curious as to what many people here think of it, I'd expect impressions to be all over the place. One thing is for sure, seeing it on the big screen was amazing.

Occultic;Nine 6

MY
Best show of the season!

Yo finally that first twist!!! The speculation of previous episodes were right! This is so thrilling...man those last few minutes! I mean with this it's official if it just keeps giving like this each week, this will beat haikyu in my AOTY rankings.

So I'll try to develop a little as to why, I think this is the best of the season.

First the pacing this episode was amazing. It goes fast yes, but it's fast in a good way. You constantly bombarded with information, which constantly as me on 100% concentrations. It's frantic AND thrilling at the same time. It's also just paced enough for you to put things together in your head, like linking the different scenes together and connecting the mysteries dots.

then the visuals/animation are amazing, the colors for each scenes MADE the atmosphere. I'm no *pro* like some of you here, but these colors truly fitted the moments and helped accentuate the *bad* feelings of each scenes, like these pics below.

The charaters exressions, mouvements and such, everything is super detailed, you can see characters emotions so well in each scenes, mainly despair and denial in this episode. Something as normal as tapping on a keyboard is super well animated. In this episode for example, when Myu
find her friend body pieces in the box
, she knows but at first, she doesn't want to believe, but when it clicks and her expression changes, mixed with the music and the flesh's sounds, it was so good and very very gross.

Then we have the characters themselves. Each character is, while not necessarily unique in the anime world, so full of personality and possess a certain something that I really like. I like them all, yea, even big boobies girl.
Yuta Gamon,for exemple, the NEET god is a very expressive character. His lightning fast talking speed when he's in is element is one of his quirk, all is tics that happen when he lies and is god damn full-on pissing his pants cowardice/insanity when he's trapped are all great things that define him.

The story itself is super good, each episode gradually leads us to the *mystery*. Every episode we are dropped hints as to what things will happen. For example, the twist for this episode was clearly teased at a few times, with
the lack of shadow and reflection to the now known dead characters.

So I don't know if this helps back my claims a little, but I tried! I just can't do wall of texts like some of you.

This is truly one the best show of the seasons, I just can't get enough! I'm just eating the show up! Anime, LN, everything!

cj_iwakura

Danganronpa Despair 03

I love this arc way, WAY more than the Future arc. Can I please just skip Future and focus on Despair? I don't care about any of the jerks in Future aside from 1's returners.

javac

Fune Wo Amu was the one show that stood out to me as something that I'd want to watch this season, but I don't have Amazon Prime and I still can't subscribe to the notion of watching one ep a week or whatever, I need to marathon that shit, something I will do if the show ends up being as good as it sounds from start to finish, just like I did with Rakugo. Until then, I wait.

Danganronpa Despair 03

I love this arc way, WAY more than the Future arc. Can I please just skip Future and focus on Despair? I don't care about any of the jerks in Future aside from 1's returners.

If everyone else who watched this is any indication, you will change your tune on Despair by the end.

Quasar

Fune Wo Amu was the one show that stood out to me as something that I'd want to watch this season, but I don't have Amazon Prime and I still can't subscribe to the notion of watching one ep a week or whatever, I need to marathon that shit, something I will do if the show ends up being as good as it sounds from start to finish, just like I did with Rakugo. Until then, I wait.

How do you even read this thread then if you only watch old shows.

An Anime Glossery of Terms

Anime Style
All anime follows a set style in which all characters have big eyes, no noses and crazy hair. If it doesn't have these then it isn't anime but just animation from Japan.​

Moe
Something that is so sickly cute it turns your stomach just looking at it.​

Otaku
Perverts.​

Sakuga
Describes animation that isn't just mouth flaps.​

Seinen
Shows designed for mature audiences featuring though men doing manly things.​

Shoujo
Shows designed for for girls and otaku. Just girls doing girly things like discussing chocolate pastries.​

Shounen
Anything that you can describe as "Dragon Ball Z with". For example One Piece is Dragon Ball Z with pirate.​

Waifu
A character you'd love to have pre-marital sex with.​

Were you in that anime art style thread on gaming side?

You forgot that moe-moe shows are gross and offensive to women and they should make more hyper masculine macho shows with rape in them like Ninja Scroll and Berserk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom