• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

3 Gatsu no Lion episode 6

Good episode, i enjoy this show the most when the focus is actually on Rei.
mjN23iq.jpg
rYzjDfg.jpg
ercrsvQ.jpg
Still wouldn't mind if the show would listen to Rei's advice.
7zTRlZJ.jpg

Clov

That's awesome, I'm curious as to what many people here think of it, I'd expect impressions to be all over the place. One thing is for sure, seeing it on the big screen was amazing.

I had very mixed feelings when I initially saw the film years ago. Revisiting it on the big screen, seeing the incredible 4K restoration, I was able to appreciate it so much more. It's not only a brilliant film, I also consider it one of the best anime films ever made. It can be difficult to watch at times due to how disturbing some of the content is, but it's still absolutely worth a look. See it in a theater if there's a screening near you, it's the best possible way to watch it!

javac

I had very mixed feelings when I initially saw the film years ago. Revisiting it on the big screen, seeing the incredible 4K restoration, I was able to appreciate it so much more. It's not only a brilliant film, I also consider it one of the best anime films ever made. It can be difficult to watch at times due to how disturbing some of the content is, but it's still absolutely worth a look. See it in a theater if there's a screening near you, it's the best possible way to watch it!

Agreed! There's so many layers to the film, I really do consider it to be a masterpiece but also a film that resonates now, today maybe more than it did 42 years ago. A super rewarding experience, one that sucks you in and captivates you with its incredible visuals and spellbinding soundtrack. Like I said, a masterpiece, the likes of which we'll never see ever again.

March comes in like a lion 06

I have a history of depression so I can 100% see where this show is coming from...but I'm still finding it hard to get super interested or invested. Dunno why.

The Tenkaichi tournament should start putting fines for destroying the stage and the wall on the side with the demon heads.

Every fucking asshole breaks it at some point.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
March comes in like a lion 06

I have a history of depression so I can 100% see where this show is coming from...but I'm still finding it hard to get super interested or invested. Dunno why.
Not very much is done to connect the characters to the audience. It also has nothing to say about depression and the imagery and vocabulary it uses around it is plain and regularly stops short. Stuff like the intro sequence on this episode where we end at Rei wants to "go somewhere" as a means of getting away instead of having a destination hits completely flat and stands at odds with the theme of complacency that otherwise dominates the episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Great Passage Episode 5:

I really wish they would have cut those interludes from this series, they are just so very ill fitting towards the aesthetic the are building here. To wit, I feel like I am watching a kids show interrupting The Office. Everything else this episode was excellent otherwise.

Ascheroth

Izetta #5

Cool action and their plan was pretty neat. Good episode.
...is what I wanted to say before that last bit at the end happened.
Of course Jonas overhears that the whole thing was a setup, because of course they just have to talk about this highly confidential piece of information somewhere in the woods and of course the Germanian spy is someone near Jonas.
Ugh, I fucking hate contrived drama like this, drained all my enthusiasm.
Debating whether I should even continue to watch because sure enough I don't want to see this contrived piece of shit scenario unfold.
Ugh.

Szadek

I'm watching the rest of Prisma☆Illya 3rei.
Although, watching might be too big a word here since I'm barely paying attention.
Let say I'm letting it run in the background.

The show trys to dark and serious, but it doesn't really work.
On top of that, the characters are really annoying and have awful designs.
The main villains has by far the worst design. He is just some dude.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Izetta #5

Of course Jonas overhears that the whole thing was a setup, because of course they just have to talk about this highly confidential piece of information somewhere in the woods and of course the Germanian spy is someone near Jonas.
Debating whether I should even continue to watch because sure enough I don't want to see this contrived piece of shit scenario unfold.
Ugh.

Without spoiling anything I can say that you should continue watching.

Qurupeke

Izetta #5

Ugh.

On hindsight, the whole thing didn't even matter that much, it's just there to highlight one point. It pretty much concludes on the next episode.

Aki-at

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 33

I could call JoJo excellent for the umpteenth time, this was top tier JoJo, especially the bollocking that was given at the end.

Occultic;Nine - 6

What a twist! Didn't see that coming but we're back to mach 4 talking segments.

Occultic;Nine 6

Yo finally that first twist!!! The speculation of previous episodes were right! This is so thrilling...man those last few minutes! I mean with this it's official if it just keeps giving like this each week, this will beat haikyu in my AOTY rankings.

The story itself is super good, each episode gradually leads us to the *mystery*. Every episode we are dropped hints as to what things will happen. For example, the twist for this episode was clearly teased at a few times, with
the lack of shadow and reflection to the now known dead characters.

I've not been reading up on the speculation but I hadn't realised this that
shadows were opted out, that's amazing, I love that level of extra detail. Noticed Yuta himself seems to flip from having a half darkened coat and not from time to time but thought that was design choice.

UtaPri Legend Star Episode 6

Nagi Natsuki song was amazing and the visuals, loved their dark mansion almost halloween type theme going on. Violin and viola was a nice touch.

Satsuki > Natsuki as was stated years ago in s1.

Jex

Tiger Mask W 7

Impressed they emulated the original show's art style for the sake of flashbacks. Unnecessary yet appreciated attention to detail.

Looks like this show would be good if it was ep 4 tier all the time.

Sadly that does not seem possible.

Narag

Looks like this show would be good if it was ep 4 tier all the time.

Sadly that does not seem possible.

It's 39 episodes of Toei anime. Figure the best I can hope for is all the big matches being like episode 4 and hoping the rest doesn't delve too far past average. Who knows how things will shake out though what with the bad guys finally beginning to strike back in earnest.

phaze

Aoi Bungaku 03-04 No Longer Human END

This was ... weird. I'll have to sit on it for a while I guess but especially the last episode I feel brought the story's vice's to the fore. At its worst this feels like a poorly stitched up series of biographical sketches, hence the poorly marked passage of time, jarring time skips and no time to flesh out any other character than Yozo, which makes some of his central relationships just hollow. I dunno, it's something I'll have to read up on. On the other side from the directorial and visual standpoint this was amazing. An incredibly atmospheric tale with great art and storyboarding, worth for that alone.

The Great Passage Episodes 4-5

Episodes 3-4 made me think that while I appreciate having a more seinen anime this season, it was being actually pretty pedestrian. The shy, awkward lead whose *special talent* somehow makes hid admirable for others (uh?), the social new friend that will help him in his conquest of love, the office politics that feel put there not because they are important for the story but because well, the story occurs in an office so they feel like unavoidable trappings, in a way it's all very standard, maybe not standard in the world of anime, but in the world of fiction at large.
But episode 5 felt solid enough in direction, characterization and little details to subtly elevate this work as something a bit more notable. Focusing more on the secondary character and the small ups and downs of his professional and personal life in a very natural way was a good choice.

I love how The Great Passage didn't have to explicitly tell us what was going on between Nishioka and Mayoshi for instance. I mean it was pretty obvious, but if this was Sangatsu for example, we would have heard a narration about how
they are friends from Uni that are dating and living together, but hiding it from the workplace that they both are at in order to avoid conflict

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
3 Lions Episode 6:

This may not be the best thing to watch given how much I can relate to crippling depression in the here and now.

jgminto

3 Lions Episode 6:

This may not be the best thing to watch given how much I can relate to crippling depression in the here and now.
The show demonstrates that the best way to deal with depression is to surround yourself with kind people and many cats, I'd agree with that prescription.

RainForce

Banned
Danganronpa Despair 03

I love this arc way, WAY more than the Future arc. Can I please just skip Future and focus on Despair? I don't care about any of the jerks in Future aside from 1's returners.

Despair side shits the bed BADLY around the halfway point while Future never really dips below average (even if it never rises above it either). Despair also has the added benefit of retroactively making the rest of the series worse, so take that as you will.

It's 39 episodes of Toei anime. Figure the best I can hope for is all the big matches being like episode 4 and hoping the rest doesn't delve too far past average. Who knows how things will shake out though what with the bad guys finally beginning to strike back in earnest.

As long as we never get another episode as horrid as the idol episode was I'll be okay.

Victory Gundam 13-14

Man are they really going to continue giving people who are going to die, a few extra lines line then normal to make it obvious? Also man that death is so lame. I know he's a soldier and all but what an aashole, he really deserved that beating from Uso.

Other then that, those two episode were great. I reall enjoyed the first moments in space of Uso when he looked at the earth, it looked really good.

I hate to say it, but the only time March Comes in like a Lion works for me is when it's focusing on Rei.

And even then it's kinda clumsy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think part of the grand problem to 3 Lions is that it just comes across too much like a book in spite of all of the visual metaphors.

javac

Fuck, half way through and I just realized that there's no point in reviewing The Red Turtle until I get my hands on the BD for screen-caps. My copy should be shipping on the 30th, expect the review then I guess.
I'll crack open my Cinelicious pics copy of Belladonna in the meantime...

Quasar

I hate to say it, but the only time March Comes in like a Lion works for me is when it's focusing on Rei.

And even then it's kinda clumsy.

For me it's when he's with the girls. Or rather that's when I like it most. I really like the show overall though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom