• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
Ok so I just finished episode 4-5 of mob psycho and it is probably one of the greatest things I have see animation wise. Like damn. I think I might like this more than one punch man

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So Sword Art Online. I don't know the general "procedure" of posting in this thread, so pardon my ignorance. I'm up to S1E18. The only reason I decided to start watching this show was because I picked up Hallow Realization for PS4 last week. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm very pleased thus far. I'll spoiler my thoughts so that anyone who is in the same boat as me gets to experience it fresh.

The concept of the Death Game sounded dumb at first, but after seeing Kirito's first party wipe in that trap room, I was hooked on the concept. I love all the monsters and really love all the bosses. When the captain took the army guys into the Gleam Eyes boss room and Kirito and friends had to save the day with his Dual Wield technique, I was super pumped.

I did NOT see the end of Aincrad coming in the way that it did. It makes me wonder if Kayaba ever had any intention of giving them a chance had they met on Floor 100. To be honest, I'm not sure anyone would have made it that far because the Floor 75 boss was really only defeated thanks to Heathcliff being indestructible.

Moving past that, I was super excited for Kirito and Asuna to meet up in the real world because I became super invested in their relationship. But then you've got Sugou who is the slimiest piece of shit on the planet being a mega creeper. I'm all furious at him now. So now I'm at the part where Kirito and Leafa are heading towards the World Tree. We'll see where it goes. I have high hopes...I mean, I know that things work out because of Hollow Realization, but fuck if I'm not nervous about the path they take to get there.

This brings me to a thought I had after binging this weekend. Skip this shit if you don't want to hear my ranting about people being closed-minded. Anime gets a bad rap in the US. So many people consider it to be, not nerdy or geeky (because apparently that's cool now), but like...Something else entirely. That and Manga. Now I haven't watched a ton of anime or read a ton of manga, but I know that as a 30 year-old dude, when people find out that I'm into that sort of stuff, they definitely make their fair share of comments. My wife doesn't care one way or another, and I could care less what anyone else thinks.

That said, I think if people could get over the stigma associated with anime and manga, they'd discover that there's actually some fantastic stories being told. It's easy to put up a wall and block out the potential emotional connections you might form with cartoon characters. But man, letting yourself get invested in the stories and characters that are developing is crazy fascinating. It's no different than a sitcom on NBC or ABC, except that it's cartoon characters instead of real people.

I understand that some people are super uncomfortable with some of the sexualization and graphic nature of some of the contents. That's fine, but there's so much more to it than that. It's like when I read Nozoki Ana. While that's got some, uh, dirty stuff going on...The story itself is actually super fantastic. And the way it ends...I was raging up until the last few pages. There's SO much emotion that can be portrayed through these two mediums. It kind of makes me mad that the US has been so reluctant to embrace this stuff on a more acceptable and mainstream level.

/rant

^
Let me welcome you to this thread by telling you that Swort Art Online is that kind of show that deservedly gives anime a bad rep and the story in Nozoki Ana is bad.

=D

You see, we're a friendly bunch here.

Ok so I just finished episode 4-5 of mob psycho and it is probably one of the greatest things I have see animation wise. Like damn. I think I might like this more than one punch man

episode 8

you've seen nothing yet

So apparently Aoi Yuuki is going to voice the MC in the Youjo Senki adaptation. The art that we've seen may be horrid, but this just went up to the top of my "must watch" list for next season.

Nah the design is fitting.
http://youjo-senki.jp/news.html#news-5
news-5.png

Cornbread78

Yeah, I couldn't finish OPM, but MP kept me locked the entire time and I really liked it! There's some much better scenes coming up for you!

So Sword Art Online. I don't know the general "procedure" of posting in this thread, so pardon my ignorance. I'm up to S1E18. The only reason I decided to start watching this show was because I picked up Hallow Realization for PS4 last week. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm very pleased thus far. I'll spoiler my thoughts so that anyone who is in the same boat as me gets to experience it fresh.

kQVxNiC.gif

Another SAO fan is born! Looks like your putting that free CR trail to good use! SAO is very entertaining to watch!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
^
Let me welcome you to this thread by telling you that Swort Art Online is that kind of show that deservedly gives anime a bad rep and the story in Nozoki Ana is bad.

=D

You see, we're a friendly bunch here.

episode 8

you've seen nothing yet

I don't know you, but we can't be friends. ;)

E: Tell me you've at least read and appreciate Sundome then?

JulianImp

I love anime because it covers a wider variety of styles and themes than the western cartoons I grew up with, but people tend to minimize it in the same way they do games: Either pointing to the stylized drawings and saying that grown-ups shouldn't be watching that kind of stuff, or perpetrating memetic stuff such as thinking that all anime has creepy scenes with underaged girls or the whole waifu thing.

The concept of the Death Game sounded dumb at first, but after seeing Kirito's first party wipe in that trap room, I was hooked on the concept. I love all the monsters and really love all the bosses. When the captain took the army guys into the Gleam Eyes boss room and Kirito and friends had to save the day with his Dual Wield technique, I was super pumped.

I did NOT see the end of Aincrad coming in the way that it did. It makes me wonder if Kayaba ever had any intention of giving them a chance had they met on Floor 100. To be honest, I'm not sure anyone would have made it that far because the Floor 75 boss was really only defeated thanks to Heathcliff being indestructible.

Moving past that, I was super excited for Kirito and Asuna to meet up in the real world because I became super invested in their relationship. But then you've got Sugou who is the slimiest piece of shit on the planet being a mega creeper. I'm all furious at him now. So now I'm at the part where Kirito and Leafa are heading towards the World Tree. We'll see where it goes. I have high hopes...I mean, I know that things work out because of Hollow Realization, but fuck if I'm not nervous about the path they take to get there.

This brings me to a thought I had after binging this weekend. Skip this shit if you don't want to hear my ranting about people being closed-minded. Anime gets a bad rap in the US. So many people consider it to be, not nerdy or geeky (because apparently that's cool now), but like...Something else entirely. That and Manga. Now I haven't watched a ton of anime or read a ton of manga, but I know that as a 30 year-old dude, when people find out that I'm into that sort of stuff, they definitely make their fair share of comments. My wife doesn't care one way or another, and I could care less what anyone else thinks.

That said, I think if people could get over the stigma associated with anime and manga, they'd discover that there's actually some fantastic stories being told. It's easy to put up a wall and block out the potential emotional connections you might form with cartoon characters. But man, letting yourself get invested in the stories and characters that are developing is crazy fascinating. It's no different than a sitcom on NBC or ABC, except that it's cartoon characters instead of real people.

I understand that some people are super uncomfortable with some of the sexualization and graphic nature of some of the contents. That's fine, but there's so much more to it than that. It's like when I read Nozoki Ana. While that's got some, uh, dirty stuff going on...The story itself is actually super fantastic. And the way it ends...I was raging up until the last few pages. There's SO much emotion that can be portrayed through these two mediums. It kind of makes me mad that the US has been so reluctant to embrace this stuff on a more acceptable and mainstream level.

/rant

ALfheim Online is the best arc. The in game world is so awesome as well as the whole clans aspect.

JulianImp

Isn't the first Daimaou Piccolo, who is a different character altogether from Z piccolo (Who is actually Piccolo junior)

Oh, I thought he meant as in the art looking worse in Super... Still, Piccolo Jr. has certainly mellowed down an awful lot since the original Dragon Ball.

About ALO, I always thought we'd get more of the faerie clans and their unique magic in the anime, but we never did. Do those aspects actually get covered in the source material, or are they as inconsequential there as they ended up being in the anime adaptation?

Cornbread78

I think I can finally begin watching all of the Fall shows now. This is going to be a long and perilous road.

DO you want to shave some of those off the top?

I'll give you a few to dump.... OH wait, those are some peeps favs though.

Nevermind, I guess you will have to watch them all yourself and form your own opinions rather than being told it's all $hit, lol.

I love anime because it covers a wider variety of styles and themes than the western cartoons I grew up with, but people tend to minimize it in the same way they do games: Either pointing to the stylized drawings and saying that grown-ups shouldn't be watching that kind of stuff, or perpetrating memetic stuff such as thinking that all anime has creepy scenes with underaged girls or the whole waifu thing.

I like anime for similar reasons. As a Medium I think it has some incredible potential for the breadth of stories it can tell. Cinema and TV I feel are, inherently more limited because of budget constraints and such when you start to get into much more fantastical territory. Anime is less hindered by that. That said, I do think Anime is unfortunately trapped in a bit of a rut, with too much baggage keeping it from excelling.

I think I can finally begin watching all of the Fall shows now. This is going to be a long and perilous road.

There aren't that many things that you MUST watch this season tbh. There are the sequels if you watched the previous stuff, sure, but aside from those there isn't much else there.

Line_HTX

DO you want to shave some of those off the top?

I'll give you a few to dump.... OH wait, those are some peeps favs though.

Nevermind, I guess you will have to watch them all yourself and form your own opinions rather than being told it's all $hit, lol.

I had a list that I put down in the Summer thread. I could start with those and cross off whichever to make it easlier. I didn't mean to say EVERYTHING, haha

I hope you're ready to flip flap.

Neat!

Cornbread78

I had a list that I put down in the Summer thread. I could start with those and cross off whichever to make it easlier. I didn't mean to say EVERYTHING, haha

It's not so bad, I already whittled down my watch list quite a bit and have a hard time keeping up with the others since they ALL air on Sat. They didn't even have the decency to split up the shows throughout the week to make it easier for ME.

Line_HTX

It's not so bad, I already whittled down my watch list quite a bit and have a hard time keeping up with the others since they ALL air in Sat. They didn't even have the decency to split up the shows throughout the week to make it easier for ME.

Didn't help that I was busy all last month and was watching other things too. At least Mondays and Tuesdays look empty.
And I kind of want to catch up to you because I'm weird like that, haha

:T

Victory Gundam 16-18

Cool episodes minus the recap, Uso big first combat in space was pretty cool and I really like how quick he reacts for things like separating the Victory.

The moral dilemma of using child soldiers/child hostages was a good subject for these episodes and future ones.

Also Shakthi, girl you gonna end up killing that poor baby.

Ascheroth

God eater ressurection

This is some good anime game! I might try that anime after I finish it. Really liking the characters designs, mainly my boy Kota!

Yeah, you should watch the anime if you like the game. Though it only covers part of the first story arc, so you're already more than good to go once you finish Difficulty 6.

TUSR

Banned
Hibike! Euphonium Season 2

Finally starting this, made it ~10 minutes into the first episode.

Previously it was discussed that the VAs were instructed to speak differently, im trying to find the source of that. Reina's change in tone is really interesting and I'd like to read more on it if anything is available.

TUSR

Banned
Is Reina more subtle now?
That's definitely a way of putting it, her character does change between S1 and S2 but her delivery changed an appreciable amount. More than what I feel like is justified. Her interactions with Kumiko feel more natural.

I might have to go back a few weeks and find the dialogue we had about this after classes today.

TheFlow

Banned
Victory Gundam 16-18

Cool episodes minus the recap, Uso big first combat in space was pretty cool and I really like how quick he reacts for things like separating the Victory.

The moral dilemma of using child soldiers/child hostages was a good subject for these episodes and future ones.

Also Shakthi, girl you gonna end up killing that poor baby.
You should post this in the gundam thread as. Well

Cornbread78

Magical Girl Raising Project ep.7
Ll0YaPh.jpg

(interesting gift for Snow White)
OK, Hardcore Alice is a complete freak of nature and her power of
removing herself from her physical presence and reforming
is quite formidable. Mary tried everything
to kill her to no avail...

Also, Ripple is sooo dead next week, the same for Top Speed since you know
she is pregnant
by all the non-responses about the 6 mos question....

With only 5 episodes left and still 5 girls that need to be "removed" it looks like it will be a bloody few weeks to go.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I found out about Nozoki Ana only recently.

Nozoki Ana was good.

You're good people.

Another SAO fan is born! Looks like your putting that free CR trail to good use! SAO is very entertaining to watch!

Yeah, CR is quite good. I have it on my Roku, iPhone, and iPad. I love how quick and easy it is to move from one device to the next with virtually no interruption. And at $7/mo, I can't find much reason to complain. The selection is fine for me. If there's something I want to watch that I can't find on CR, it's not an issue.

TheFlow

Banned
Mob Psycho 100

this is truly one hell of an anime. The last episode made me LOL. Perfect blend of Comedy, drama, and action.

5/5

Now I gotta finish Baby steps before moving unto to more anime.

Exalted

Trickster episode 7

The story in this show is a bunch of nonsense. My expression after watching this episode of Trickster;.
VMJGcZi.jpg

Lmao at the first scene 18ish year old goku appears again.

Bulma immediately gets a crush on him. What a weird girl she's like 4 years older than him and has seen him walking around half naked since he was a little kid

TheFlow

Banned
hummm should I really?

Nice that's good to know!

if you want an actual discussion then yes. Someone else actually just finished Victory and everyone enjoyed talking about it.

Gundam-GAF is no joke when it comes to the anime and gunpla and this is coming from someone who post on the subreddits.

if you want an actual discussion then yes. Someone else actually just finished Victory and everyone enjoyed talking about it.

Gundam-GAF is no joke when it comes to the anime and gunpla and this is coming from someone who post on the subreddits.
Alright cool I will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom