• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
This episode of Euphonium feels clumsy. I was hoping the Asuka stuff would be handled better than this. Drama is really defining this season of Euphonium and I'm not enjoying it as much as a result.

It's drama on top of drama on top of drama.

Have to agree, I've been oddly okay with most of the drama from Euph S2 but today's episode was just too much and was handled quite badly. Sadly it seems more drama is incoming with the next episode, with it exploring the sister quitting college or now running away.

Jarmel

Banned
So I just wanted to bring this up but I feel KyoAni's photography department, almost certainly at the behest of Yamada as that seems to be her style, is too aggressive in Euphonium. They blur too much, use too much bloom, or use DOF poorly for shots that don't really need it.
L0SXcje.jpg

The blurring in the corners doesn't enhance this image.
Part of it I understand is to create a 'dream-like' atmosphere but it comes across as distracting (not in a good way). Instead of it feeling like the photography department is there to just enhance the great art already present, it's almost like they're trying to overshadow the animation and take over the production. The show looks at its best when the photography department steps back, which is why I liked the concert at the train station visually more than most of the episode.
Obviously some of that emulation of DOF is still there but it feels reigned in. It's overbearing at times in a way that Hyouka and other KyoAni productions didn't.

Jarmel

Banned
So an aspect of Yuri On Ice is that this is supposed to be Yuri's final season. Why? He's 23 and there are people who are way older than him skating.

meijiko

So an aspect of Yuri On Ice is that this is supposed to be Yuri's final season. Why? He's 23 and there are people who are way older than him skating.

There was a mistranslation in one of the episodes that referred to it as his final season, but he clarifies in a later episode that it *could* be his final season, considering the risk of injuries and the fact that he only has Victor as a coach for the one season. I don't remember the exact lines, but he believes that if he doesn't do well in the competitions, his career will be over.

Jarmel

Banned
There was a mistranslation in one of the episodes that referred to it as his final season, but he clarifies in a later episode that it *could* be his final season, considering the risk of injuries and the fact that he only has Victor as a coach for the one season. I don't remember the exact lines, but he believes that if he doesn't do well in the competitions, his career will be over.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense.

Jex

Despite my interest in seeing less time spent skating last week, I actually felt the way the episode handled its core character moments for Yuri and Viktor worked quite well. Yuri could have monologued forever before getting out on the ice to air his feelings but instead we got a steady visual build-up and a more "realistic" short explosion.
Yes, I would agree that this particular element of the episode worked fine. It's everything else that I am not so sure about.

Yuri on Ice 1x07

So they actually did it. Even though they obscured it, which is lame, they actually went through with Yuri x Victor. I guess we'll see where it goes from here but I'm really glad it wasn't just bait. There was actual payoff, and so early into the series too.

I hope they don't try to walk it back in future episodes, and that they'll be willing to go even further. (Like showing actual lip to lip contact!)

And please give these poor animators a week or two of break so they can catch up/not work on the razor's edge anymore. The time crunch they're under is extremely apparent and it's hurting the show.

Jarmel

Banned
Kobayashi: Mr. Nishizaki was still alive at the time it was being planned, and he told Yutaka Izubuchi, “It’s OK to remake it for TV, but use Makoto Kobayashi.” But the design team had already been decided upon at that point. I talked with Mr. Izubuchi, but there was nothing to be done, so it was officially decided that I wouldn’t do anything. (Laughs) Under those circumstances, I had no plans to participate at first. Mr. Nishizaki passed away in the meantime, and once the need for appearances had vanished, the schedule for the main series was decided.
That doesn't exactly sound friendly. oof
Kobayashi: We’re aiming to make something that doesn’t bore the audience.
Well Jexhius I guess that line was for you.

Szadek

Smile Precure! - Ep. 44-48
The ending was alright. It started strong with episode 45 and went downhil from there.
It feels like the final fight had was way too short, like it's missing 2-3 more episodes to get more screene time for Joker(this one hurts the most), Bad Ends and Pierrot.
Well, at least the other 3 villains had great final battle.
I never cared too much about the story in Smile, so I'm not that upset since I mostly like the show for the episodic stuff, but they wasted a lot of potential during these last few episodes.

I was planning to watch Fresh next, but now I'm probably going to watch Princess, since it's very fitting thematically.
In any case, this will have to wait until I'm done with either Cardcaptor Sakura or Sugar Sugar Rune.

Qurupeke

Girlish Number 6
Damn, that Chitose Special Attack surely had a lot of impact.

Fantastic episode. The show absolutely delivers on the comedy but it can actually be pretty good on some more serious moments too. The whole cast is really fun to watch. Shibasaki is a goddess.

So I just wanted to bring this up but I feel KyoAni's photography department, almost certainly at the behest of Yamada as that seems to be her style, is too aggressive in Euphonium. They blur too much, use too much bloom, or use DOF poorly for shots that don't really need it.

Part of it I understand is to create a 'dream-like' atmosphere but it comes across as distracting (not in a good way). Instead of it feeling like the photography department is there to just enhance the great art already present, it's almost like they're trying to overshadow the animation and take over the production. The show looks at its best when the photography department steps back, which is why I liked the concert at the train station visually more than most of the episode.

Obviously some of that emulation of DOF is still there but it feels reigned in. It's overbearing at times in a way that Hyouka and other KyoAni productions didn't.

Yeh, right from the start that was a thorn in the eye for Hibike :/

Eupho S2 - 07

Man, I'm actually thinking the sort of drama this show tackles is good and the trouble Asuka is facing with her mother is something I'm inherently interested in.

However, the execution just isn't really there. I can't even really put my finger on it but too often the result feels melodramatic and not fitting the overall story structure of this anime. The large cast of episode directors and the varying quality of each episode must play a big role in that, too. The show overall doesn't feel like a really cohesive package which can do so much in otherwise even just mediocre shows (Tanaka-kun for example).

I'm also clearly enjoying Hibike more when it focuses on the music, which is even more true when the feedback on the extreme amount of attention to detail from Thoraxes and co. makes this just the better.

Oh and for how much I like Kumiko, I'm not font of this "Kumiko stumbles upon relevant drama and observes" thing that's going on for the second season. Makes me question the point of having Kumiko as such a prevalent main character and telling even these bits from her point of view largely.

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume 07

Agari's team is going to get fucking destroyed or I will be disappointed. But Agari better win herself at least. Though I'm not sure she's a weirdo enough to beat them since that is apparently the key to being really good at ping pong.

Qurupeke

Eupho S2 - 07

Man, I'm actually thinking the sort of drama this show tackles is good and the trouble Asuka is facing with her mother is something I'm inherently interested in.

However, the execution just isn't really there. I can't even really put my finger on it but too often the result feels melodramatic and not fitting the overall story structure of this anime. The large cast of episode directors and the varying quality of each episode must play a big role in that, too. The show overall doesn't feel like a really cohesive package which can do so much in otherwise even just mediocre shows (Tanaka-kun for example).

I kind of agree. I think the pacing is the problem here, the show moves fast and the drama loses a lot of its tension. There's more than double the material to cover in S2 compared to S1 after all. There's a little foreshadowing at the start, then the actual drama starts, the aftermath and then a resolution. In the plot thread of Nozomi and Mizore, the last three elements felt really short and I feel like they could certainly expand their story. Instead, characters like Asuka and Mizore seemed to act dumb and the root of the problem was the lack of communication, the whole thing was solved in an instant. So much for the high stakes..

I don't really think the drama this season is bad, it's just a bit underwhelming, as I believe the first season handled it perfectly. There was a great pay off for it and I never thought it was leaning towards melodrama.

Oh and for how much I like Kumiko, I'm not font of this "Kumiko stumbles upon relevant drama and observes" thing that's going on for the second season. Makes me question the point of having Kumiko as such a prevalent main character and telling even these bits from her point of view largely.

Naaah. Having a protagonist that is mostly an observer is good and a nice change. Not everything has to revolve around her.

Puruzi

Banned
Smile Precure! - Ep. 44-48
The ending was alright. It started strong with episode 45 and went downhil from there.
It feels like the final fight had was way too short, like it's missing 2-3 more episodes to get more screene time for Joker(this one hurts the most), Bad Ends and Pierrot.
Well, at least the other 3 villains had great final battle.
I never cared too much about the story in Smile, so I'm not that upset since I mostly like the show for the episodic stuff, but they wasted a lot of potential during these last few episodes.

I was planning to watch Fresh next, but now I'm probably going to watch Princess, since it's very fitting thematically.
In any case, this will have to wait until I'm done with either Cardcaptor Sakura or Sugar Sugar Rune.
Princess is the second best Precure series, it's pretty great. Didn't care for Fresh at all though

TrueBlue

Naaah. Having a protagonist that is mostly an observer is good and a nice change. Not everything has to revolve around her.

I agree, but I do have an issue with how it's done. That Kumiko literally seems to stumble into these situations makes the whole thing seem a little forced, almost as if they have to fill a Kumiko quota. You can take Kumiko out of the resolution in Episode 4 and I don't think too much would be lost.

This is without watching Episode 7, mind. I'm all for little contrivances, I dunno.

Gonna have to make time and get back in the watching groove.

Jarmel

Banned
Eupho S2 - 07

I'm also clearly enjoying Hibike more when it focuses on the music, which is even more true when the feedback on the extreme amount of attention to detail from Thoraxes and co. makes this just the better.

I don't think it's so much the execution but rather the writing. There's no staff in the world that could have made the Asuka mother scene not cringe-worthy. That was essentially a mother having a public hissy fit that her daughter wasn't doing exactly what she wanted her to do. I was hoping the aspect with the third years and their split responsibilites was going to be handled delicately. The show instead took a hammer to the issue. What's worse is that it's dragging Kumiko into this mess when she really shouldn't be involved in it. As a result there isn't any 'creativity' to the underlying drama or writing and it's not worth contemplating on.

In addition to that, the structure of the season is laying melodramatics arcs that have nothing to do with each other, on top of itself. Does the show need to deal with Kumiko's sister running away at this exact moment? So now it's juggling with two family issue arcs at the same time.

On the plus side, the train station concert was fucking awesome. I preferred that one to the performance in episode 5. Everybody needs more sexophone in their lives.

I don't think it's so much the execution but rather the writing. There's no staff in the world that could have made the Asuka mother scene not cringe-worthy. That was essentially a mother having a public hissy fit that her daughter wasn't doing exactly what she wanted her to do. I was hoping the aspect with the third years and their split responsibilites was going to be handled delicately. The show instead took a hammer to the issue. What's worse is that it's dragging Kumiko into this mess when she really shouldn't be involved in it. As a result there isn't any 'creativity' to the underlying drama or writing and it's not worth contemplating on.

In addition to that, the structure of the season is laying melodramatics arcs that have nothing to do with each other, on top of itself. Does the show need to deal with Kumiko's sister running away at this exact moment? So now it's juggling with two family issue arcs at the same time.

On the plus side, the train station concert was fucking awesome. I preferred that one to the performance in episode 5. Everybody needs more sexophone in their lives.

We'll disagree then because I don't see a problem with Asuka's mother issues here and they feel entirely believable. With different direction this would've worked so much better for me. But constantly changing shots towards Kumiko and the other girl being in awe of the situation and then having plenty close ups on the elaborately animated face of the mother was too much. These exaggerated motions, even when well animated, can be rather off putting. Reminds me off a bit from this video of Michael Caine teaching acting. Having these exaggerated motions during close up shots just seems unnatural. Although the subject matter is acting there, I don't see how this wouldn't apply in animation here.

I see it less of a writing issue, really, at least not this scene in isolation.

The show looks at its best when the photography department steps back, which is why I liked the concert at the train station visually more than most of the episode.

Hm... Looks like Kyoto Station :p

Jarmel

Banned
We'll disagree then because I don't see a problem with Asuka's mother issues here and they feel entirely believable. With different direction this would've worked so much better for me. But constantly changing shots towards Kumiko and the other girl being in awe of the situation and then having plenty close ups on the elaborately animated face of the mother was too much. These exaggerated motions, even when well animated, can be rather off putting. Reminds me off a bit from this video of Michael Caine teaching acting. Having these exaggerated motions during close up shots just seems unnatural. Although the subject matter is acting there, I don't see how this wouldn't apply in animation here.

I see it less of a writing issue, really, at least not this scene in isolation.

The use of exaggerated character acting is appropriate in this case precisely because of how over the top the writing is. She slapped her near grown daughter in public. This wasn't a scene that was 'reserved' in any way shape or form. Reigning in the character animations make sense if the mother wasn't having a meltdown.

The Kumiko reaction shots are generally fine except the one where she's slackjawed when Asuka and her mother walk out. This would be a fairly big deal in any school, especially in a reserved society like Japan.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Flip Flappers Episode 7:

Well then, that is an amazingly literal interpretation of the single target sexuality trope in action.

blurr

Hibike Euphonium S2 07

As the show started off casually, the intensity of the entire scene with Asuka and her mom felt like a train passing by at high speed and the slap only made it feel like a freak accident by the end of it. Quite bold of Asuka to walk out at that situation keeping her composure, all while holding her mother's hand, she doesn't want anyone's sympathies nor is she interested in dwelling on it for long. I guess now we sort of understand the enigma that is Asuka. Her clear indifference makes a lot of sense, something which I never really doubted without a good reason but in this case, I would clarify, good not in an ethical sense.

I was at one point convinced that Natsuki might be replacing Asuka when I saw her with a Euphonium, but it never really did hint on anything beyond that.

FJBgCwQ.png

in this episode of how I've wasted my childhood music classes

GAF, random question: will FMA: Brotherhood ever see a Blu-ray rerelease? I understand the rights situation, but am bummed I slept on getting it for so long. When or will this see the light of day?

Line_HTX

GAF, random question: will FMA: Brotherhood ever see a Blu-ray rerelease? I understand the rights situation, but am bummed I slept on getting it for so long. When or will this see the light of day?

I've been proven dead wrong on the Ergo Proxy Blu-ray release, so who knows? They might release FMAB as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom