• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
spoiler

ff15 isnt going to be good

I wasn't going to be picking it up any time soon
Still don't own a PS4
but man, some of the stuff I've seen lately makes me unsure if I'll ever touch it. I didn't even know about FF12 4 hour boss fight? Is that true? And if FF15 has something similar or worse I just don't think I can sink any real time into that. Can anyone enlighten me as to what's really going on with these multi-hour bosses I'm hearing about?

Either way at least I still have 8, 10, 10-2, and 13-3 to play before I have to worry about 15.

I wasn't going to be picking it up any time soon
Still don't own a PS4
but man, some of the stuff I've seen lately makes me unsure if I'll ever touch it. I didn't even know about FF12 4 hour boss fight? Is that true? And if FF15 has something similar or worse I just don't think I can sink any real time into that. Can anyone enlighten me as to what's really going on with these multi-hour bosses I'm hearing about?

Pretty sure from what I've heard that that's a misunderstanding and/or taking an off-hand statement from Tabata out of context.

Honestly, despite the wild hyperbole with which people treat FF XV, I feel pretty safe saying it will neither be a perfect masterpiece or an abject failure, but somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.

cj_iwakura

13 wasnt trash it got me into FF, Hopes story was really good.

I enjoyed XIII as well. It gets a lot of undue hate.

It's also quite challenging.

At least it doesn't pander like a certain other RPG developer I know that churns them out like clockwork. I'd say its only flaw is that the battle system doesn't get to truly sing until nearly halfway through.

Cornbread78

Sadists all of you! FFXV has to be good, or decent at least, I've been waiting forever...

Fairy Tale ep.62
OuqUwCd.jpg
Awesome reaction faces to witnessing the other Wizard Saint's magic against the dark guild leader. The new OP is terrible, but the ED is ace! They still can't beat Nirvana because the dark guild leaders son holds the power now, but they will find a way to save Carla and Wendy's guild.

FFXV won't be any less than good. Aside from all of the benefits the Pro brings in other games, I quite honestly got mine for this game. After waiting for 10 years, I wanna play it at its best at launch. Shame it took this many systems to get to this day, but better late than never amirite.

Fairy Tale ep.62

Awesome reaction faces to witnessing the other Wizard Saint's magic against the dark guild leader. The new OP is terrible, but the ED is ace! They still can't beat Nirvana because the dark guild leaders son holds the power now, but they will find a way to save Carla and Wendy's guild.

DON'T YOU DARE BE HATING ON FIESTA.

FIESTA IS GOOD.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tale ep.63

Yes, Erza is pissed and is gonna kill this Emu loser's ass now... please, please, please. He is a horrible villian and needs to go away. I mean, he liked his fave a Erza like a creep. Super pissed off and powered up Erza is best Erza!

DON'T YOU DARE BE HATING ON FIESTA.
FIESTA IS GOOD.

Ok, I'll partially redact the "terrible" part and call it a big step dowm from the previous ones, lol. The ED is pretty damn good though.

duckroll

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Episode 1

The most positive thing I can say about this introductory episode is that there's something nostalgic about it in how early 00s it feels. This is absolutely a show made in the post-Eva era where it was still considered trendy to make a serious mecha series with a bunch of child characters being used begrudgingly by adults, fighting against an unknown alien threat which seems to have a connection to something in the past that people have not understood yet. Sadly that alone doesn't make for very compelling anime.

So what I gathered from this episode is that they're going for a large ensemble sort of story where there are many characters and they all have families and connections with one another, and it's on a quiet remote island town which has a lot of mysteries. There's an event with a radio when all these kids were younger which seems to be a major point of importance which will no doubt be revisited later on to explain some of the mysteries. Oh and electromagnetic waves is going to be a huge plot point. There's a lot of obvious and really dated CG camerawork and digital effects, the director seems to really like awkward camera motion and dutch angles to make a point about the dissonance in a scene. There are sudden tragic turns throughout the episode which are so telegraphed they cannot be seen as surprises so they merely feel like a communication of the sort of tone to expect from this series. The art is pretty bad. It feels like a relatively cheap show.

Yeah not much positivity here. I'm not hating it or anything but it feels by the books, mundane, and not something with a lot of potential if I'm being honest. So the only reason I'm continuing is because trusted folks say it's going to be worth it. I can't even imagine how something that starts like this ended up being 2 full TV series, an OVA, and a film. That mystery is more intriguing than anything presented in the first episode so far.

The most positive thing I can say about this introductory episode is that there's something nostalgic about it in how early 00s it feels. This is absolutely a show made in the post-Eva era where it was still considered trendy to make a serious mecha series with a bunch of child characters being used begrudgingly by adults, fighting against an unknown alien threat which seems to have a connection to something in the past that people have not understood yet. Sadly that alone doesn't make for very compelling anime.

So what I gathered from this episode is that they're going for a large ensemble sort of story where there are many characters and they all have families and connections with one another, and it's on a quiet remote island town which has a lot of mysteries. There's an event with a radio when all these kids were younger which seems to be a major point of importance which will no doubt be revisited later on to explain some of the mysteries. Oh and electromagnetic waves is going to be a huge plot point. There's a lot of obvious and really dated CG camerawork and digital effects, the director seems to really like awkward camera motion and dutch angles to make a point about the dissonance in a scene. There are sudden tragic turns throughout the episode which are so telegraphed they cannot be seen as surprises so they merely feel like a communication of the sort of tone to expect from this series. The art is pretty bad. It feels like a relatively cheap show.

Yeah not much positivity here. I'm not hating it or anything but it feels by the books, mundane, and not something with a lot of potential if I'm being honest. So the only reason I'm continuing is because trusted folks say it's going to be worth it. I can't even imagine how something that starts like this ended up being 2 full TV series, an OVA, and a film. That mystery is more intriguing than anything presented in the first episode so far.

It's a truly incredible journey. The first episode of Fafner is so empty, so devoid of any interest, that it's impossible to predict where the series ends up going.

The Great Passage 6

This show is so unassumingly great. It has moments of fantasy, such as Majime's visualization of the sea of words turning into sludge sucking him in, but it's not particularly flashy. The animation is excellent, but in a nuanced way where there's a consistent attention to detail and character in small movements such as the closing of a book or the darting of eyes, not in immediately eye-catches bursts of action sakuga. The material continues to be mundane: a team of dictionary editors trying to deal with a publishing company that doesn't want them to succeed in making the dictionary they want to make, and an awkward guy struggling to express his love for a female chef. But in the quiet moments of ordinary life, it finds a gentle beauty. The quality of the direction and animation is what makes this work, of course. A scene like Majime taking refuge in his collection of antiquarian books, and finding new resolve to express himself to Kaguya through the Genkai's entry for "chef" - that wouldn't be so effective if the anime team's care and thoughtfulness wasn't so evident.

People who continue to complain that there's no anime being made for real adults anymore should be quiet and watch this. Though this probably isn't what most of them are looking for.

Jex

That all sounds about right. I can't imagine watching the series back when it was airing and making through more than a few episodes before dropping it.

March comes in like a lion Episode 5
download.png

This is all a bit much isn't it?

First half of the episode was fine, enjoyable even, but then the second half kicks in...and it just doesn't work. That's a problem, because the second half is a pretty big moment. A lot of Rei's past comes to light, and it feels dull. The whole flashback feels dull. There's no omph to any of it.

Break Blade (TV) 01-06
Felt like rewatching it since it's been a while since I saw the OVA. Then I remembered hearing how the re-cut TV version had some additional scenes, so thought to check that out.

I didn't remember much else beyond the premise of war between rock magicians piloting mechs, so it was pretty fun seeing it all again. Fights look pretty good with the battle damage, cracks, tears, and chips, but not as good as I remember. I do recall things picking up in the second half when Girge and Borcuse show up, so I'm looking forward to watching the rest.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Great Passage Episode 6:

I really don't have much to add in the way of new commentary this week other than it is nice to see the romantic arc reach its culmination now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom