• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Nanbaka ep.7
cXWJKWc.jpg

So they skipped the end of the New Years tourney to give us the back story and drama of a side character from another cell? uugghh. Oh well, I guess I have to wait another week to see the full glorious transformation of inmate #15, lol.

Ascheroth

I don't know what's the opinion here on english covers of openings, but Amalee just did a cover of History Maker and it's amazing. Her voice is so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3yHWOFDXIo

There's this cover of the Parasyte opening that is fucking awesome and way better than the original.
I also like this cover of Seint Seiya - Soldier Dream (funnily enough I heard the cover first lol), but it's not in english.

There's this cover of the Parasyte opening that is fucking awesome and way better than the original.
I also like this cover of Seint Seiya - Soldier Dream (funnily enough I heard the cover first lol), but it's not in english.

Nate and Pellek do amazing covers! Nate recently did one of my favourite of THE DAY and Pellek did this amazing cover of Pegasus Fantasy.

Another youtuber that does cover I think deserves a mention is Jonathan Young.

His THE HERO cover from OPM and his THE DAY cover are amazing.

PK Gaming

Flip Flappers 7

This show and Yuri on Ice are essentially trying to outgay each other, though jokes aside, it feels like Cocona has to confront some truth about herself. Another fun episode (Papika is without a doubt this show's best character) and Iroha's change in personality is intriguing. Don't have a read on the ending, but I can't say I really care about it either.

Quasar

Euphonium 2.07 - Liked it. Nice to see more Asuka, my favourite. I guess this reminds me of how I guess for some people in Japan parental/child relationships are rather different to what I'm used to. And what teachers do. Do want to find out what's going on with Kumikos sister. Great to see Haruka step up like that.

Sterok

Flip Flappers 7

Turns out using magic to change important event's in a person's history or something drastically changes them. Who could have guessed? Meanwhile Cocona is trying to find the kind of Papika she likes best? I don't know, they throw so much at the viewer, and I'm not convinced most of it is supposed to mean anything. The twins don't seem entirely human, or at least they're got something else going on that Cocona, Papika, and Yayka don't.

phaze

Dead Leaves

Imaishi a sick, sick individual.

There was a lot of great animation here but I feel the movie was just too hectic for it's own goodto be able to fully appreciate the effort put into all that action.

Flip Flap Flip Flap 07

Not really sure how to feel about this episode. I think I like the episodic stuff more, but this still had that with the Papika switches.

Sölf

Keijo!!!!!!!! 07
God, still the best show of the season. I had to laugh before the opening even began. xD
And yeah, pulling Turnips with your butt seems like serious business.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Keijo!!!!!!!! Episode 7:

AH yes, the obligatory shonen anything training episode, it makes sense that we would be seeing it here.

Pokemon Sun & Moon 01

This is a first for me. Since the anime looks so fun this time around and there's so many JRPGs out and coming out I'm going to skip Gen 7, but since I've always liked Pokemon and I was there when Gen 1 exploded as a kid I still want to hitch a ride onto this gen somehow.

Fun start but I'm going to have serious trouble with the Gen 5/7 Japanese Pokemon names. Lizardon makes me laugh though

Qurupeke

Fun start but I'm going to have serious trouble with the Gen 5/7 Japanese Pokemon names. Lizardon makes me laugh though

True that. And I don't understand Alolan Oak's puns at all!

Pokemon Sun & Moon 1

Very good start, the show is a lot of fun. I'm enjoying the relaxed atmosphere, the characters and the full of life world. And damn, the animation in the battles is great too.

Lillie is already the best character.

CDiggity

Yuri on Ice 07

That was fun. I get the feeling my new tactic to annoying my friends who watch this will be claiming that scene was totally a hug. Sleeve was covering the goods despite it totally being obvious.

Flap Flippers 07

Looks like they are finally getting ready to answer some questions that I have had for quite a while. Neato. Oh and I guess more yuri is a good thing.

I joke 07

Checking off all the sports anime boxes, which is acceptable given its absurdity keeps it entertaining. With this upcoming 3rd act, and we are now we are getting to the real reason why Xebec took liberties with the adaptation and we will see if that decision pays off.

brawly

Hunter X Hunter 48 (the new one)

Man, the whole Spiders' bit was the best so far. Now back to boring Gon and Greed Island -_-

Flip Flappers 7

This show is kinda like Yuri on Ice for me, in that I don't find the relationship between the leads enjoyable.

Which made this episode a real slog to be frank.

Theonik

For what? It looks like a PS3 game, and in fact IS a PS3 game. I mean, that's no big deal for a game like Persona, but I'm struggling to think of what would be better about the game with Pro-enabled options.
Exactly because of that, they can push 4K on the PS4 Pro which is a MASSIVE visual benefit without any other additions.

TrueBlue

Sound! Euphonium Episode 7

Clumsy was a word used to describe this episode, and I can't really disagree with that assessment.

I was actually digging the scene with Asuka's mother until the slap. Not that it wasn't effective, but considering we had literally just met her, it felt a little cheap.

There was nothing really at all to suggest that Asuka's mother was like this. The previous episodes seemed to put Asuka's relative nonchalance as more an aspect of her character as opposed to something related to an overbearing parent - and that's disregarding the physical abuse. It all felt a bit sudden, even if it does explain why Asuka is the way she is, I feel it could have used a little more build-up.

The pacing also makes the moment all the more melodramatic. Between this and Mizore's overreaction in Episode 4, I feel Euphonium is struggling to justify its big moments in Season 2.

Both of these moments suffered for different reasons - Mizore's was based on a completely trivial misunderstanding, while Asuka's almost came out of nowhere - but they're both guilty of a similar sin: failing to properly develop the drama so that it feels natural.

If you're going to have drama serve as the basis for a season, I feel this is essential. As it stands though, these moments just come across as over the top and silly.

I also second the quibble of Kumiko just kinda being there for no reason. I understand that she's the MC and all, but I don't think her presence is vital or necessary. I'm all for contrivances to an extent - I'd argue that most stories need them - but it's starting to feel a little forced.

It also doesn't help that she pretty much did the same thing - just kinda stumbling into a situation and reacting to it - already this season. Apart from a couple of conversations here and there, I can't really think of much Kumiko has done but observe things and not really contribute, which I think is a shame.

I also feel that this approach limits the scope of the show. Season 1 did a great job of balancing Kumiko's POV while also feeling like an ensemble show. Kumiko didn't need to be there for all the vital scenes, and I think it felt more natural as a result. Season 2 seems content to just her crowbar her in.

That being said, I felt there was a decent amount to like in this episode. Even if it followed a heavy-handed moment, Asuka's reaction to the slap was well done, and I felt it really expressed the show's strength in character animation and expression.

It was also nice to see Haruka really step into the leadership role. From the events of Season 1 to the present, this feels like a natural and well realised development in her character arc. It also served to highlight the presence Asuka had in the band without her being there, which was clever. The performance at the end was lovely too. Badass indeed.

Also, thank fuck we might actually see some development for Kumiko's sister. Not only will it give Kumiko something to do, but it'll be nice to see just what the deal is between the two. They've both been kinda eh to each other since the beginning, and it was starting to get repetitive. I can't wait to find out more.

Heh, this show always managed to make me prattle on - and always on my phone too...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes, from Funimation. But Aniplex has taken the licensing rights back from Funimation so that BD release is now out of print.
Oh weird. I assume that the Aniplex release would at least be premium if nothing else. IIRC the Funimation release was fairly barebones, to the point where they put out the OVAs separately.

Oh weird. I assume that the Aniplex release would at least be premium if nothing else. IIRC the Funimation release was fairly barebones, to the point where they put out the OVAs separately.

And probably absurdly expensive. I wonder how long it'll take the old Funimation sets to inflate in price through remaining third party vendors to outpace the cost of Aniplex's eventual release.

Edit: Oh wow, I hadn't realized it was literally sold out on Amazon on DVD and Blurays are 200$+. I do not envy anyone who gets into the series at this point and has no affordable way of owning it.

Cornbread78

Scrapped Princess ep.8
Well, there goes your new imouto; she was a bad girl after all. Lots of mysterious stuff going on around Pacifica that needs to get fleshed out soon, but I definitely just got set up for future battles with Cin in her new Cz
Peacemaker
form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom