• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Great Passage 6

This show is so unassumingly great. It has moments of fantasy, such as Majime's visualization of the sea of words turning into sludge sucking him in, but it's not particularly flashy. The animation is excellent, but in a nuanced way where there's a consistent attention to detail and character in small movements such as the closing of a book or the darting of eyes, not in immediately eye-catches bursts of action sakuga. The material continues to be mundane: a team of dictionary editors trying to deal with a publishing company that doesn't want them to succeed in making the dictionary they want to make, and an awkward guy struggling to express his love for a female chef. But in the quiet moments of ordinary life, it finds a gentle beauty. The quality of the direction and animation is what makes this work, of course. A scene like Majime taking refuge in his collection of antiquarian books, and finding new resolve to express himself to Kaguya through the Genkai's entry for "chef" - that wouldn't be so effective if the anime team's care and thoughtfulness wasn't so evident.

this

I mentioned that I, at times, dislike the exaggerated character motions like they're e,g, often displayed in Hibike's dramatic climaxes . The Great Passage having very refined animation for ordinary motion instead is something I really appreciate.

Fantastic Beasts - was alright. Queenie best girl.

Watching this tonight with the missus. Knowing only the material it draws from and having barely seen any trailers, I'm excited for it. We are both going in pretty much blind, more her than me, but it should be a good time. All I need is some wizarding shenanigans and I'll be happy. I'm easy to please lol.

Really didn't like Ajin. Visually ugly and just uninteresting in terms of story and characters. Honestly don't find anything redeemable in the show.

This weeks Keijo was good as usual, looking forward to the War.

e_i

So the English dub is up for Kuromukuro on the Netflix...for the second season. The first season's dub is not up yet. Very weird.

duckroll

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Episode 2-6

This is even more of a shameless Evangelion clone than I first assumed. There's a mysterious ghost girl who is contained in the center of the entire moving island. There are multiple Fafners they have been building over the years. There's a world outside of Japan which seems to want the Fafner technology to help them fight the aliens too. The children seem to be part of a big experiment to fight the aliens. The aliens are trying to get to the mysterious ghost girl contained in the center of the island. Are they even trying?

The end of this first arc would have been more emotional (or emotional at all really) if there were actually some character development between the characters, but it's hard to feel anything when I don't really feel I know any of these people other than how much they want Kazuki and/or Soshi's dicks.

When are they firing this writer to bring in someone good? :p

blurr

The Great Passage 6 is out wow, I lost track of what part of the week we're in, because almost every day's a work day anyways.

Ascheroth

This is even more of a shameless Evangelion clone than I first assumed. There's a mysterious ghost girl who is contained in the center of the entire moving island. There are multiple Fafners they have been building over the years. There's a world outside of Japan which seems to want the Fafner technology to help them fight the aliens too. The children seem to be part of a big experiment to fight the aliens. The aliens are trying to get to the mysterious ghost girl contained in the center of the island. Are they even trying?

The end of this first arc would have been more emotional (or emotional at all really) if there were actually some character development between the characters, but it's hard to feel anything when I don't really feel I know any of these people other than how much they want Kazuki and/or Soshi's dicks.

When are they firing this writer to bring in someone good? :p

In 5 episodes.

Surprised people wanted a all anime on netflix future when netflix seems to struggle to release its anime in a competent manner.
Who actually wished for that? That sound terrible.

The only thing that I was liking about netflix is that with Seven deadly sins and Ajin, once the season was over they would release the whole thing with a dub, but like what happened with Magi and that mech show they don't even do that anymore. They did not even add the Seven deadly sins special with subs...

Netflix is lame, they better put Ajin s2 soon after it's finished or I'm cancelling my sub for sure.

March comes in like a lion Episode 5
download.png

This is all a bit much isn't it?

First half of the episode was fine, enjoyable even, but then the second half kicks in...and it just doesn't work. That's a problem, because the second half is a pretty big moment. A lot of Rei's past comes to light, and it feels dull. The whole flashback feels dull. There's no omph to any of it.

I thought episode 5 was fine, it's episode 6 when it gets tiring and dull. I felt his depression and his past was already explained so going more on it wasn't really needed, and it doesn't make a lot of sense given we already know that in the present he is better thanks to the sister's family warmth.

duckroll

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Episode 7-10

I don't care for how the show likes to feel really "big" without earning it. The cast of characters keep growing, but not only do I have a hard time keeping them straight because some of the designs really look the same, but it feels like none of it really matters at all outside of the Kazuki/Soshi/Maya triangle. And even then, Maya is only starting to become a character now. Everyone else feels like they're just there to eventually maybe die to show that there are "stakes" but it doesn't feel like it really matters. I think the dramatic elements of the show are pretty poorly written thus far.

On the other hand, starting with episode 8 things actually start to get interesting. There's an indication that the Arcadia Project is larger in scope than it seems, and involves other moving pieces we're not aware of yet. There's a little bit of intrigue which might go somewhere interesting soon. Of course then they had to ruin it with a really silly half episode of comedy which was odd given how I don't think the character it involved was ever mentioned before.

There isn't really much I can say that I really like about this show so far, but out of that small bit, my favorite is probably how each episode closes with this foreboding retrospection by Kazuki. It gives the events a tragic sense of history, like it has all already happened and anything shown is inevitable. I like that tone. Too bad every episode it feels like those lines are the best ones in the entire episode. Most of the dialogue is pretty bad.

Jarmel

Banned
There isn't really much I can say that I really like about this show so far, but out of that small bit, my favorite is probably how each episode closes with this foreboding retrospection by Kazuki. It gives the events a tragic sense of history, like it has all already happened and anything shown is inevitable. I like that tone. Too bad every episode it feels like those lines are the best ones in the entire episode. Most of the dialogue is pretty bad.
lol wut

That was one of the worst things about the show.

Jex

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Episode 7-10

I don't care for how the show likes to feel really "big" without earning it. The cast of characters keep growing, but not only do I have a hard time keeping them straight because some of the designs really look the same, but it feels like none of it really matters at all outside of the Kazuki/Soshi/Maya triangle. And even then, Maya is only starting to become a character now. Everyone else feels like they're just there to eventually maybe die to show that there are "stakes" but it doesn't feel like it really matters. I think the dramatic elements of the show are pretty poorly written thus far.

On the other hand, starting with episode 8 things actually start to get interesting. There's an indication that the Arcadia Project is larger in scope than it seems, and involves other moving pieces we're not aware of yet. There's a little bit of intrigue which might go somewhere interesting soon. Of course then they had to ruin it with a really silly half episode of comedy which was odd given how I don't think the character it involved was ever mentioned before.

I can see you're watching this show at the correct speed.

Take not, fellow readers, this is the 'Jexhius ApprovedTM' method of surviving early Fafner.

duckroll

Really? I like how it basically summarizes the entire episode in a couple of sentences and sounds kinda poetic. They usually have pretty good rhythm too. Beats watching people mope and whine about stuff, exclude vital information for ~drama~, and keep asking "are you really there?" in a myriad different ominous ways.

Diamond is Unbreakable 34

This didn't look as good as last episode but it wasn't to the level of episodes before it. But there was one shot that was fucking A+.

GLPjCjb.jpg

KQ in Kira's shadow ready to kill at a moments notice, but when you get a shot of Kira Hayato can't see KQ because he can't see Stands

Even though the scene with Kira at the end is great the girl was off model almost the entire time and ruined it a little. The scene really shows just how psychotic Kira is in a Norman Bates or Patrick Bateman way. I also like the Hayato/Kira thing as a side story as a kids horror story. "My dad is not my dad!" and he can't tell the police or his Mom because no one would believe him. Its a nice fit into this suburban story.

Next week is BITES ZA DUSTO and we're finally here. 2016 isn't all bad.

blurr

The Great Passage 06

I probably shouldn't have read any posts on this before I started watching.

Nishioka's unease was really well depicted, so much emphasis on body language(love the part where he presses on an open book) is something I don't usually get to see in TV anime at least. I did not expect him to reveal his transfer so early but I guess his unease makes sense.

The remainder of the episode focused on the aftermath of this revelation and the practicality of the job they have. The potential hardships bring in the question why they are even doing it - it goes beyond a "job" when they do it even when their employers are discouraging it. Now what is beyond that, I think this is a pretty difficult topic to convey without coming off as ridiculous but I can confirm that it is something I've felt as well. Much of that sense of divine obligation was fueled by inspiration upon looking at a powerful piece of work, in this case it is the Sea of Words. It's hard to reason otherwise.

The silent moment where a sad Majime opens the window for Tora felt just right, the subtle sound of the breeze added to it.

trejo

Well, I mean, it doesn't get any more Eva clone than RahXephon and you seem to be okay with that...

Szadek

Drifters- Ep. 7
Where did Caster from Fate Zero learn how to fight like this?
I guess they summoned him as Lancer this time around?

Joking aside, it's was a pretty good episode and all the fights were decent.
Most imporantly it had no weird comdey sketchs this time around.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 34:

First part was a good way to put an end to the latest random Stand User arc but obviously things really shined in the second part in one of the most tense scenes I can think of in recent memory.

duckroll

Well, I mean, it doesn't get any more Eva clone than RahXephon and you seem to be okay with that...

RahXephon is an Eva clone that understands what is good and bad about Eva and specifically seeks to express itself in ways which Eva failed to. It's a love story that transcends time and a story of displacement and personal responsibility.

In 12 episodes, Fafner is an Eva clone that... exists only because Eva was popular and has nothing remotely interesting to say for itself.

Ascheroth

RahXephon is an Eva clone that understands what is good and bad about Eva and specifically seeks to express itself in ways which Eva failed to. It's a love story that transcends time and a story of displacement and personal responsibility.

In 12 episodes, Fafner is an Eva clone that... exists only because Eva was popular and has nothing remotely interesting to say for itself.

You're in luck because it comes into its own soon.

If I wasn't already saving myself for haly I'd ask for me you marry me.

It feels good to see someone write something nice about RahXephon, I loved that show dearly.

duckroll

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Episode 11-12

I'm not sure which is dumber, the totally uncharacteristic half-hearted defection, or the shounen samurai manga chuuni fanboy gag that went on for way too long. This is still really meh and I don't think I can watch another episode of it today! I love how every time the show introduces a new character, everyone seems to know the person except the audience and they pretend like this isn't a character they just invented out of thin air. Top-tier writing.

convo

Diamond is Unbreakable 34

The most intense bath scene ever.

I don't know about sweaty man on man battles in baths but one Yakuza game got sweaty nude battles in saunas. Anime got some catching up to do if they want to pander to the opposite spectrum of Kejio!

Qurupeke

Er I dunno, we had some pretty intense bathing in the last JoJo's season.

I assume you're referring to the Alessi episode? It had a mix of goofiness and extreme uneasiness, but that Kira scene is something very different. It had me completely hooked, even after I realized I was watching a "father" wash his son's back. It certainly deserves a high rank on the " best out of context JoJo" list.

Ascheroth

I assume you're referring to the Alessi episode? It had a mix of goofiness and extreme uneasiness, but that Kira scene is something very different. It had me completely hooked, even after I realized I was watching a "father" wash his son's back. It certainly deserves a high rank on the " best out of context JoJo" list.

Yeah, that was intense.
But it's hard to top this for out of context JoJo.

phaze

Gundam Thunderbolt S2 announced.

------

Sangatsu doesn't seem to be garnering a lot of positive receptions these days but I must say I've been enjoying it and two last episodes even more than usually. It's depiction of depression, while not exactly subtle, still strikes me as a more grounded and natural take on subject matter than exploits of certain overwrought drama queens I've displeasure meeting through the medium. Rei is a pretty somber and shy guy but his depression thankfully doesn't dictate his behavior all the time. Talking with people isn't some unattainable feat for him and with his self awareness, he can even sneak a self depreciating comment. The cuckoo bit elicited some laughs and displeasure but the I liked the actual issue underneath it, Rei destroying the peace of the family that adopted him. Similarly I find his attitude towards Shogi interesting and very refreshing after traversing a plethora of sport series. It's just something that he coaxed himself into doing to first spend some time with his father and then later, just to survive but that lie of course sentenced him to another set of problems.

Also is it just me or is Hashimoto again killing it on OST. In last ep in particular.

Jarmel

Banned
Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Episode 11-12

I'm not sure which is dumber, the totally uncharacteristic half-hearted defection, or the shounen samurai manga chuuni fanboy gag that went on for way too long. This is still really meh and I don't think I can watch another episode of it today! I love how every time the show introduces a new character, everyone seems to know the person except the audience and they pretend like this isn't a character they just invented out of thin air. Top-tier writing.

I would just try and hit up to 14 today so you're pretty much done with the bad segments.

this

I mentioned that I, at times, dislike the exaggerated character motions like they're e,g, often displayed in Hibike's dramatic climaxes . The Great Passage having very refined animation for ordinary motion instead is something I really appreciate.

Very flamboyant character motion is something integral to the KyoAni "house style" as it were. It was something you saw a lot of in Hyouka as well. The smoker scene caught a lot of flack for that from people who found its drama played up too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom