• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 8:

You know JJ is going to be an important upper carder since he was given the final performance of the evening.

Yuri on Ice 8

Yurio was so cute when he saw his grandpa, and I also really felt bad for him when he looked sad from his grandpa not being present. It's in those moments you see he's only 15.

So I guess I should also say, GO CANADA GO! We got some special guy representing Canada.

Taruranto

Yuri on Ice #8

Eh, I don't know. 7 was a good climax, so I really think the show should have taken a break, let the characters (and the animators) take a breath and talk things through.

Yuri and Victor still feels pretty shallow. They kissed, but apparently Yuri still worries about what Victor would do if he lose? It kinda feels like lip service at times.

JJ was easily the best part of the episode, too bad he won't make it since both Yurio and Yuuri need to pass.

LGtKGVn.jpg

Also what's up with Italy's sister? Did they color her wrong?

meijiko

JJ was easily the best part of the episode, too bad he won't make it since both Yurio and Yuuri need to pass.

If JJ, Yurio, and Yuuri all make the podium, I'm almost positive all three would go to the GPF. You get points based on how you place in the competitions, and since JJ has a gold, and Yurio and Yuuri both have silver, I'm pretty sure even if one of them gets bronze, they'd all still qualify.

Dynedom

Man, all this Fafner love.

I'm of the opinion that Exodus was a quality show with a bit of a bumpy end. God damn if episode 17 isn't one of favorite episodes in mechanime (or even general anime) ever though.

BluWacky

Yuri on Ice 8

Despite sort-of enjoying it as a pleasant way of passing the time, I thought this was a bad episode.

The show is in desperate need of some genuine character interaction and development. The Yurio scenes managed it here to some extent (although I don't find him particularly interesting as the tertiary lead), but stuffing each episode with characters that are differentiated by shallow quirks (as we never get to spend any time with them beyond their skate routines) gives the show no room to breathe. I also found the cliffhanger ending utterly contrived and lacking in tension; I don't really care about its outcome in any way.

With that said, it was nice to be reminded how much I like the more "rubbery" animation of Yurio's short routine - it's more interesting to watch than the lower-budget stuff for the other skaters (or Yuri's Eros routine which we've unsurprisingly seen several times now!).

Look what the cat dragged in.

Eupho S2 08
Glad that Asuka stuff isn't done with as it seemed to me after the last ep and that there is more stuff on that front coming.

It's been too long. I kind of took a break with anime ever since I started college.

Also I see people watching a show called Yuri on Ice.

Cornbread78

Nanbaka ep.8
Speaking of police brutality.... Hajime destroyed
to get himself a short vacation.

This shiw has gone straight shounen the past couple weeks, lol.

Im back from the dead! Muahahahah
So whats the best anime that's been out in the last two months?
I gotta finish Rezero and Mob. Catch up on some other animes. What's been good this fall season?

- Kanon(2006)

- Little Busters gave me this vinevas well, but it is about friendship, no "romance," but still an amazing ending that gives you that same feeling.

- Kimikiss Pure Rough.

I'll think of a couple more shortly:

- Itazura na Kiss
- Cross Game
- Emma a Victorian Romance
- Full Moon wo Sagashite
- Golden Time
- The "Hentai" Prince and the Stony Cat
- A Lull in the Sea

Not an anime but I bought the VN Root Letter last night.
it sure hit the spot on what I was looking for.
(now im just looking through for some vn, manga or anime like that)

Syrinx

Euphonium S2 8

Kumiko's visit to Asuka's house should be telling. Kumiko seems to be the only one Asuka is willing to confide in on any level and doing something like this is highly irregular behavior for her apparently.

Kumiko's sister stuff reeks of forcing a subplot in. Her just walking into Kumiko's room while she has company and turning off her CD player was just eyeroll central. It is what it is in regards to regrets of quitting band or whatever, but its just shitty behavior all around. Seems to have mostly run its course though so I won't dwell on it too much.

Euphonium S2 - 08

So next week FFXV is finally coming out and I have all these emotions in me as I deal with personal problems and school all at once. Good thing I don't have any dumb siblings.

Cornbread78

Scrapped Princess ep.9
Ok, so they have stumbled upon a cultist village with a fake Scrapped Princess.. hmm... this could work in their favor if she was to get taken in by the church or royal army...

TrueBlue

Sound! Euphonium 2 Episode 8

This show is just so damn miserable at the moment, it's exhausting just watching it. Where's the levity?

While I'm glad to see some focus on the conflict between Kumiko and her sister, I agree that it feels a little crow-barred in. That sounds weird considering it's been teased in bits since Season 1, but the way things have escalated didn't sit right with me.

Kinda like with Asuka's mom, I feel this conflict could have been developed throughout a number of episodes as opposed to a sudden splurge. We go from set-up, to argument, to the openings of a reconciliation in the space of 20 minutes, and as such it feels kinda rushed. This pacing issue probably contributed to the overall tacked on feeling of the episode.

It also didn't help that both Kumiko and Mamiko were being spectacularly petty. I know that's probably the point - and the VAs do an excellent job - but it made it really hard for me to care.

Again, I feel this is down to the sudden focus on the argument. Kumiko being a childish tool doesn't really jive with the rest of the show and her development, and we simply don't know Mamiko enough to really get a sense of who she is, and if it justifies her outlook.

Kumiko's attitude and Mamiko's feelings would have been made for an excellent impasse if it had been given more time to bake. To be fair, the episode at least gives a good attempt at providing background between the two - but we already knew that Mamiko was Kumiko's original inspiration. The flashbacks are cute, but they tell us nothing new. That they're pretty much thrown at us - as with everything else Kumiko and Mamiko related - doesn't give us enough time to really appreciate them either.

That being said, I really liked the scene between Shuuichi and Mamiko, and Shuuichi in general this episode. Being relatively angst-free is a plus, but I like how he's comfortable with just simply talking with people, be it with Kumiko or Mamiko. Apart from Episode 1 of this season - which to be fair, was right in the middle of a Kumiko/Reina tease scene - he generally seems open to communication, which is a refreshing and likeable trait when considering the other characters.

I've actually liked this guy since Season 1, so I'm glad to see him get some screen-time. It actually annoyed me that Reina interrupted his scene with Kumiko a couple of episodes back, if only because it would have been nice to see a conversation between them that lasted longer than 10 seconds. This episode carried on that tradition, but I feel the circumstances demand it.

It was nice to see Reina do something other than just talk with Kumiko - that coat (?) on the shoulder was nice and understated. I still feel that she's just kinda "there", and that her dynamic with Kumiko has been kinda undercooked this season, but I'll take what I can get.

And of course, we're heading towards more development with Asuka. I'm happy that there's a deadline of sorts for this, if only because I want the show to break free from the drama and put a little of the focus back on the music.

Even with the lovely concert scenes thay have been littered throughout the season, they almost feel disconnected to the drama at hand. The Kansai Competition was kinda just thrown at us, as beautiful as it was. With the Nationals coming up, I would like to see the closing episodes really give that occasion the focus and scope it deserves.

I really do still like this show, mind. I just feel this season pales in comparison to the first, which is a shame. Still, on to next week!

Yuri on Ice 8

Team Korea, Team Seung Gil Lee, hes so awesome.
Cx_azoWWQAMO-_j.jpg:small

My rankings so far are China, Korea, and Yurio as the best in the show.

I just hope Korea passes. JJ was too much spinning.

That drama?
would they really kill the dog? Im sorry but it didnt even feel any bit emotional and just came out of the blue. I dont think it adds anything to the show

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 075

Guess they couldn't get
Kircheis'
voice actor back, was awkward having him in a scene for four minutes and he doesn't say a word

Bravo to Reuntahl for getting in trouble cuz he couldn't keep his dick in his pants

jgminto

Yuri on Ice
It's difficult to appreciate the sensuality and beauty that's meant to come across in these skating performances when they look so damn ugly. They've started to dedicate so much to all these performances from the other competitors but you rarely get anything out of them past the initial theme. This episode, once the theme was stated (Sexuality, Rock Star, Wants to bone his Sister) I'd just start riding the skip forward button and it largely made for a better viewing experience. I feel like this wasn't as much of a problem with other sports shows I've watched because they aren't telling me this is meant to be stunning or artistic. When I watched Baby Steps, the on-court action was atrociously ugly but it was rarely meant to be more than a backdrop for the characters to release their conflicts. I still enjoy the main trio of YoI but this might be one of the biggest failures of actually presenting the sport itself in a sport anime.

Cornbread78

Scrapped Princess ep.10
Well, the fake didn't get scrapped like I thought she was, but at least the fraud wizard was forced out and villagers free of his scheme. Once again, the real scrapped princess comes off as a great person and not the fiend she is believed to be.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dunno i thought this week's skates were decent. Cup china was atrocious.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's hard on my body to watch Euph and Yuri crater in further on themselves on the same day week after week. Other people have already targeted the repetitive and superficial format in Yuri on Ice but it has also passed a certain threshold for me where almost everything it pushes has a sexualized slant. Not only does it just feel like unabashed smut but there is something grating and demeaning to push only this side of gay characters. Yurio is far more interesting to me as a character because he seems more fleshed out, but Yuri is always orbiting Viktor and most of the side cast is a total bore.

Not really sure what to say about Euph. When I see positive impressions about the show it reminds me of how low the standards are for writing in anime. The only strong relationship between Kumiko and Reina continues to wilt and everything else is frankly just a joke. There is no honest emotion here, no tension, or even anything imitating realistic human interaction or conversation. The opening conversation about quitting college is beyond rancid with the stilted role each character takes, and the failure to depict family members as anything other than irrational and hateful speaks to the limited depth of the world. The lack of closure for these other characters makes them very visible tools for whatever development we are supposed to pretend this adds to Kumiko.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
dimb you make it difficult for me to be happy about things

sad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom