• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor: Exodus - Episode 8

Wow, they spent an entire episode on the preparation for the launch. Don't see pacing like this very often in mecha shows anymore. Good stuff. Looks like the next episode is going to be a big one?

Gonna burn some stamina in Terra Battle before watching 9.
Oh shiiiiii-

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor: Exodus - Episode 8

Wow, they spent an entire episode on the preparation for the launch. Don't see pacing like this very often in mecha shows anymore. Good stuff. Looks like the next episode is going to be a big one?

Gonna burn some stamina in Terra Battle before watching 9.
Oh man, get ready for it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" anime announced.
Nice. I've read the manga, and it is very comforting type of manga. Each chapter is episodic with food of the week. The format is similar to bartender anime/manga where troubled guest come to the restaurant, eat some food, then goes through whatever trouble he has.

Nice. I've read the manga, and it is very comforting type of manga. Each chapter is episodic with food of the week. The format is similar to bartender anime/manga where troubled guest come to the restaurant, eat some food, then goes through whatever trouble he has.

Sounds good.

Sterok

Flip Flappers 8

This show is better in general when focusing on action instead of anything else. Next week, more on the Papika-Cocona-Yayaka love triangle.

Flip Flap Flip Flap 08

Dammit Papika everyone knows not to run at the pool.

Pretty cool looking episode with the Tron aesthetic and the Transformers and a lot of the effects looked awesome to boot

The King of Braves: Shin Getter Mazinger Gurren Lagann Flip Flappers - 8

CyCsbe1WgAUsn0i.jpg:large
CyCsf22XcAAeBUF.jpg:large

aaaaaaah

HHHHNNNNNNNNNGH

HSAKHJGFLKASJHDGFAJSDLFHASDFJALKKJDFLKASDJF

EUPHONIUM? OCCULT;NINE? YURI ON ICE?!? WHAT ARE THOSE?!?

FLIP FLAPPERS.

ANIME OF THE SEASON.

NOTHING ELSE COMPARES.

JulianImp

The original Sound Euphonium novel was published in 2013. The second and third novels in the series, which this current season is adapting, were published in 2015 to coincide with the airing of the first anime season. That says it all, really.

Yikes, now that does explain some things...

I still haven't watched Ep8, but I feel like my expectations with Asuka's character arc were probably too lofty for what we'll probably end up getting. It's kind of funny that the season where the VA's performances got a lot more nuanced and interesting is the one that's dialing up the anime-ish school drama.

You're right. I was too harsh on Phantom World. It gave me everything I wanted except for the gays.

Good thing this season is ultra gay.

Good plots and fetish pandering I can both enjoy individually, but when a show tries to give me both I tend to get put off (unless it's Monogatari, for some reason). Seeing fetish pandering in shows such as Izetta or Gakkou Gurashi is really off-putting to me, since it kind of disrupts the flow of the show in the same way mood whiplash scenes disrupt drama/romance series.

All in all, I think it's precisely that betrayal of expectations what makes me not like a show. If a show wears its bad taste on its sleeve (Big Order, TLR:D, School Days) then I'm not as put off by it as when the show gives me mixed messages on whether it's supposed to be taken as a trashy or a serious show.

PK Gaming

Flip Flap 08

This episode was straight transformers mixed in with some Gurren Lagann and Neon Genesis for good measure

Not much in the way of plot, but really, really, really fun (which is what the show does best)

Really starting to come around on Yayaka too, who's probably going to defect at some point

blurr

Hibike Euphonium 08

The show's character arcs loosely relate to the central theme aren't that great but definitely gets some impressive direction and production work. While I don't intend to dwarf its problems by saying that I do find myself having a good time watching the characters interact and play.

Kumiko's sister who inspired her to learn the instrument is something we see this episode focus on but I think it barely ever talked about it until her sister decided to drop out of college. I suppose she gave her a kickstart into learning the instrument but it did hurt her knowing that she had given up on it without a credible reason, gives the feeling that her progress was based on something so meaningless. It kind of makes sense to see her burst out when she turned off the music in front of Reina no matter how awkward it felt.

Everyone's gaining the epiphany that Asuka isn't an unreachable figure but just as normal as everyone else. I get the gravity of this but it's been so obvious she had her sights at different places that it feels weird that it all comes up only now. That being said, the entire scene with Aoi was really good, a moody conversation with just the right visual atmosphere.

I was bloody impressed when I heard younger Kumiko's voice, she sounds much like she does now but there's a hint of infancy - it was just perfect, I wonder if it's the same VA or someone else, either way it is impressive.

duckroll

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor: Exodus - Episode 9-10

So it turns out this was a stealth Super Robot Wars anime all along? Okay.

Line_HTX

AnimeGaf bout to be on suicide watch due to excessive Texhnolyze consumption. What show would push you over the edge?
Elfien Lied or War in the Pocket on Christmas?

Speaking of, Ghost Hound feels like my own personal purgatory atm. Fuck it sucks.

---------------------

Was thinking of finishing the few shows i missed this year. Whats the up and under on:

The show with the blue haired girl(does it at least have a decent stopping point?)
The show about BONES superheroes that looks like a pack of highlighters exploded on screen
The show with puppets

Elfen Lied fucked me up, but I don't think I could handle She, the Ultimate Weapon, lol

Concrete Revolutio is the better superhero anime with realistic justice.

I need to finish Thunderbolt Fantasy because that's the nice Urobutchi over the top shit with godlike music, haha

pbayne

Flip Flappers 8

Sogood.gif

Some random thoughts

-Fuck anyone who doesn't think this has character deveolpment. Seeing how far Cocona has come where she actively wanted to protect something this week was great, alongside the steady build up of Papika and Cocona's realtionship, which actually took a mis-step but more on that later.

-Hidaka's pure illusion . Hey guess he's a big ol otaku. Lol if the angry parakeets were supposed to represent Sayuri. EDIT. Shit just realized that the Pure Illusion was probably influenced by bu-chan as well.

-Interesting that the theme of creation and the destruction of it was brought up twice now. Also that Cocona really understood the ramifications of what she did to Iroha.

-The cockpit for the mech was the same as the Flip Flaps transport device. Cool i guess Hidaka designed it, makes sense.

-Mecha combination mirrored the transformation henshin. Interestingly Yayaka can do it too. MASSIVE SPECULATION. Yayaka is Papika's disposed partner from episode 1.
Or it's Mimi,

-Hidaka's final "Old models suck line" might reinforce the above point. Im not too sure on that yet.

-That post ending tease. Fuck it's all must go down next week.

-I bet the girls will be able to carry over the combination and fuse together as magical girls now too.

JulianImp

UFO - #8

Asuka's arc continues to let me down... spending two episodes with her away from things to show things are complicated on her end is kind of meh, but then again the show's also throwing Mamiko's issues at us, further dilluting and dilating things, even though I get that there might be a parallel among the situation that the two girls are going through. The whole "whoops, I forgot the sole reason my little sister began playing euphonium was out of sheer admiration for me" thing was pretty petty IMO, and the way she remembered it not because of Kumiko herself but due to a remark Shuuichi made when he coincidentally happened to run into her was quite weird for me as well.

But yeah, people thinking Asuka was some kind of magical entity were setting themselves up to be disappointed eventually. I'm still looking forward to seeing the show tackle her issues, but I kind of hate how the whole cast has the idiot ball gripped hard regarding her. Sure, let her say everything's alright and attend practice sporadically while the whole band's morale burns to the ground... and the best part is she's being guilty of calling the kettle black again, since after initiating a plan for the supposed "greater good" of the band that relied on bottling Mizore's issues up (because she was a cold and calculating girl, sure Asuka), she's now fostering uncertainty herself with her sporadic attendance while she obstinately clings onto that happy-go-lucky mask of hers.

I know I'm probably projecting pretty badly with all this, but I just can't help it. It's like watching a trainwreck in slow motion, and I feel like all this set-up might lead into an anticlimatic conclusion.

Jarmel

Banned
I was expecting Youjo Senki to be another ugly ass Madhouse military show. Instead it's full of Death Parade alum?!?!?!? In addition to Hashimoto.

wtf

is the next part going to be animated? I dont know where JJBA news is located.

At some point assuredly. If they've made it half way through they won't give up now and Part 5 is at least equal to Part 3 in popularity in Japan. I expect Fall 2017 or Spring 2018

I just hope they take a break for Part 5. If we follow the increase in quality and production from Part 1/2 to 3 to 4 then Part 5 will be...I don't even know wtf they could do

Jarmel

Banned
They must be saving all the money shots for the actual show. I mean it has the art director/chief animation director of Death Parade being led by the director of Punch Line. Going by the staff this should be the best looking show of the winter. How the hell does the PV look so fucking mediocre????

They must be saving all the money shots for the actual show. I mean it has the art director/chief animation director of Death Parade being led by the director of Punch Line. Going by the staff this should be the best looking show of the winter. How the hell does the PV look so fucking mediocre????

Well the PV was from almost 2 months ago(September 30), new PV(if they gonna make another one) not released yet.

At some point assuredly. If they've made it half way through they won't give up now and Part 5 is at least equal to Part 3 in popularity in Japan. I expect Fall 2017 or Spring 2018

I just hope they take a break for Part 5. If we follow the increase in quality and production from Part 1/2 to 3 to 4 then Part 5 will be...I don't even know wtf they could do

Hire KyoAni.

Szadek

Gankutsuou:The Count of Monte Cristo - Ep. 15-17
The counts revenge on Albert's family has been very successful so far.
Apperently Eugénie worte the OP, that's interesting.

Challenging the Counts was Alberts best idea in this anime and that's really saying something.
Looks like the show turns into a Mecha anime for the next episode.

PK Gaming

Fanservice continues to be the worst part about Flip Flappers

Haven't even seen a pretentious breakdown of why it works in context since it's a metaphor for blah, blah, blah

That's how bad and out of place it is practice

Cornbread78

Ladies vs. Butlers ep.4
I forgot how much fanservice was in this show, daamn. At least the loli girl wasn't around at all! Either way, the conedy was ok, but ugghh.

pbayne

Elfen Lied fucked me up, but I don't think I could handle She, the Ultimate Weapon, lol

Concrete Revolutio is the better superhero anime with realistic justice.

I need to finish Thunderbolt Fantasy because that's the nice Urobutchi over the top shit with godlike music, haha

No opinion on Re Zero? i know it was fairly popular but i wasn't following anime much at the time. Does it at least has a satisfying end?

Fanservice continues to be the worst part about Flip Flappers

Haven't even seen a pretentious breakdown of why it works in context since it's a metaphor for blah, blah, blah

That's how bad and out of place it is practice

lol the only way you could justify it this week is by saying it was some homage to classic mecha anime or it was part of Bu-chan's perverted fantasies.
But nah fuck it, fanservice was blatant as sin no denying it

Digimon Appli Monster 8

Im a sucker for a nice traditional follow your dreams and be yourself episode. Nice animation bump this episode too. Fuck a digimon actually uses movies to attack, step your game up JoJo.

Yuri on Ice 8

Butts.

No opinion on Re Zero? i know it was fairly popular but i wasn't following anime much at the time. Does it at least has a satisfying end?

lol the only way you could justify it this week is by saying it was some homage to classic mecha anime or it was part of Bu-chan's perverted fantasies.
But nah fuck it, fanservice was blatant as sin no denying it

Digimon Appli Monster 8

Im a sucker for a nice traditional follow your dreams and be yourself episode. Nice animation bump this episode too. Fuck a digimon actually uses movies to attack, step your game up JoJo.

Yuri on Ice 8

Butts.

Part 6

Flip flap 6-8

So I finally went back to this, fantatic episodes, really liked 7 and 8.

I liked Papika's other personnality more then the original one tho.

Then we had awesome mecha goodness.

Truly the only thing keeping this show from being great is the out of place fanservice.

Flip Flappers 8

So on a pure visual level, this was great. That said, I gotta be frank. I'm about as invested in the story of this show as I am in any Next Generation episode that revolves around Geordi and his relationship with women.

I don't care about these characters and the attempt to develop them.

Pokemon Sun and Moon 03

Oh my God Mimikyu is fucking horrifying. When it moves around it sounds like nails on a chalkboard in Silent Hill and when it speaks it sounds like the crackle of static electricity.

This thing is seriously an Eldritch horror in disguise. And Team Rocket is going to take it with them.

Ladies vs. Butlers ep.4
I forgot how much fanservice was in this show, daamn. At least the loli girl wasn't around at all! Either way, the conedy was ok, but ugghh.
I mean it doesn't take much but the first episode to see that Ladies vs. Butlers is an ecchi comedy show and revels in it. If you don't like ecchi shows like this, I'm not sure how you're on the 4th episode.

Moaradin

Pokemon Sun and Moon 03

Oh my God Mimikyu is fucking horrifying. When it moves around it sounds like nails on a chalkboard in Silent Hill and when it speaks it sounds like the crackle of static electricity.

This thing is seriously an Eldritch horror in disguise. And Team Rocket is going to take it with them.

But Mimikyu is adorable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom