• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
Is the Order a Rabbit? 3-4

this show has a 100% success rate on putting me to sleep

which isnt necessarily a bad thing

Szadek

Can we all agree that Chi's Sweet Home has one of the best OP of the season?

Also, is anyone else still watching Soushin Shoujo Matoi?
I wouldn't blame anyone if they dropped this show, since it's pretty meh, but I'm curious.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Im surprised by the amount of people still waiting for the “plot”
insert obvious but the plot happened in the last episode *wink*
to happen in Flip Flappers. Considering 6 out of 8 episodes have been devoted to Cocona and Papika’s relationship, it’s a fair assumption to guess that’s what the main focus of the rest of the show will be about. With Yayaka and maybe Salt being the only other sort of important characters. The only other real plot thread that seems to obviously have significance is Mimi's identity,(fun speculation)
which has been pretty heavily implied that it’s either Cocona’s mother (with Salt implied as a weird quasi-father figure in episode 2)or is somehow an alternate Pure Illusion version of Cocona. Which still would play into the MCs relationship being the show’s driving force.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say all the stuff to do with Flip Flap, with the KKK clan, with the amphourous twins, even with Salt’s ambitions-probably won’t be that important in the end. They might elaborate on them sure but to me they’re like the wacky student council’s plans in Utena, they’re there to provide context and a backdrop but don’t take them literally or expect them to go anywhere significant.

Flip Flappers also seems to be about this.

https://dranimaniacunscripted.com/2...ree-under-guise-of-a-magical-girl-fairy-tale/

Texhnolyze 03-07

Man these first three episodes were a fucking slough I felt like I had no idea what any of these characters were doing or why the MC is so god damn pissed off. Hell I'm still not completely sure why he is so mad.
At least now though it feels like there is plot going on between 2 rival factions and the man operating has a third party, though I'm still unsure of what his goal is here. Dude is a fucking cold blooded killer and so highly efficient it is scary. Basically you fuck with this guy or fuck him you get killed, eventually.
I'm still sorta confused about the nature of this world though but I assume there will be more explanation of that as time goes on.

Oh and Onishi is the picture you see when you look up the word badass in a dictionary.

Joyful

f9kTEVt.gif

Jintor

Kimi no namae wa

So good even the two chucklefucks who wouldn't stop whispering in Chinese on one side and the wanker who whipped out his phone to gif every single amazing shot on the other could ruin it for me

Things I'm excited to analyse: recurring door opening/closing shot, identity of helpful truck driver, if I mixed up the identity of the guy with glasses like three times

Branduil

Kimi no namae wa

So good even the two chucklefucks who wouldn't stop whispering in Chinese on one side and the wanker who whipped out his phone to gif every single amazing shot on the other could ruin it for me

Things I'm excited to analyse: recurring door opening/closing shot, identity of helpful truck driver, if I mixed up the identity of the guy with glasses like three times

It's Kimi No Na Wa, actually.

/XX/

If this is actually indeed a thing, which it could be, then I don't expect Imaishi to be directing this. That leaves, of the Geek Fleet crew, Nishigori. Nishigori has been dead quiet and there's a good chance of him doing something at Trigger.
Don't forget about Mr. Wakabayashi, Mr. Koyama or Sushio.

Sushio in particular has mentioned been working along a studio based in Tottori:

Manganimation.net on Twitter: "Sushio a avoué que son projet actuel est une collaboration avec un nouveau studio d'animation basé à Tottori. https://t.co/AetT8fGoT6"
https://twitter.com/nimation/status/798525972916162560

Little possible options other than Mr. Akai's Yonago Gainax, sister branch of Mr. Takeda's GAINAX WEST.

Jarmel

Banned
Don't forget about Mr. Wakabayashi, Mr. Koyama or Sushio.
They're not directors though. Wakabayashi can do storyboards and small illustrations but I've never seen anything where he's capable of leading a production. Koyama is more of a designer and same with Sushio except on the animation side.

If Trigger is involved I imagine they're all working on it to some extent. I'm in this case wondering about specifically the director as Imaishi is supposed to be working on some Gurren Lagann sequel or whatever.

/XX/

They're not directors though. Wakabayashi can do storyboards and small illustrations but I've never seen anything where he's capable of leading a production. Koyama is more of a designer and same with Sushio except on the animation side.
For a GAiNAX production, you never know (out of necessity). :-D

Just look at the meteoric ascension inside the studio of some younger recruits, like the fabulous Ayano Ōnoki. And Mr. Nishigori could be busy with Hiroyuki Imaishi's
TTGL
project...

Jintor

So I wanted to jot down a larger effortpost when I had an actual keyboard to hand (seriously I fucking hate typing shit out on a phone goddamn)

君の名は

I really enjoyed watching this movie. I don't know if it's a classic or whatever; it didn't hit me as hard as, say, 5cm per Second for instance, and I watched it 3 ciders and a whiskey-ginger in next to possibly the most fucking irritating people to watch a movie with short of outright just being disruptive, so my frame of mind isn't what I would call stable. But in any case there was so much in this movie I just loved watching. Sure, there were really 'anime' bits (for lack of a better term) but even they I thought were used pretty sparingly and with obvious good humour.

One of the criteria in my head for something being effective on me is 'is this thing I'm watching making my body react in a way beyond my control' and, from the first opening shot, I could feel the hairs on my body stand on end. That happened multiple times throughout the movie, and though I think you could probably guess when - usually a combination of the really standout comet sequences with the blasting sound design - it was still, like, eerily effective. And as someone who has just come back from living in the countryside in Japan, and then floating in and out of the cities for a month or two, Shinkai's trademark near-photorealistic style caused me actual pain at just how goddamn beautiful he made Japan. Even the mundane shit like a combini or crappy highway bridge. Anime Japan, at this budget and artistic level of passion, is just so goddamn beautiful. It's like this dream of Japan, this memory of Japan that accentuates the bits you remember and erases the aches of actually walking around those distances, the ridiculously oppressive heat, the visual and aural noise. Actually that sounds kind of dystopic now that I've written it out, I don't know, but that's the kind of stuff Shinkai's visuals did to me. It floored me.

What I really loved about this movie was its efficiency. I went into this almost completely blind outside of watching one trailer months ago which I mostly forgot and knowing it was by Shinkai and making a shittonne of money, so pretty much everything to me was new. The first half of the movie is almost brutally efficient; what could be a 12-episode series is swiftly established almost as background material and then they move swiftly into the crux of the material. I was absolutely a huge fan of the swift cuts throughout, like at the beginning when the inaka team are bemoaning the countryside through a series of cuts using the characters to hold the eye's focus while the bg changes. The fact the two mains swiftly figure out a communication system and a set of rules and guidelines and they just kind of gloss over it and make it part of the movie in like, 3 minutes tops. Maybe I just like montages.

There was still a bunch of weird stuff. The 'lmao body gender switch' jokes were pretty damn japanese humour and were walking a very fine line of 'I dunno about this'; I think what saved them from torpedoing them was the way they were knowingly used to release tension or very much simply to subvert audience expectations throughout. There's a lot in this movie that just kinda happens or kinda just turns out to be weird contrivances and you just accept it or let it wash over you because, fuck man, you're enjoying the movie and it needs this to happen so that the next thing can happen and, hey, whatever. But to me I feel like that's kind of the mark of a pretty good movie anyway, that me as an audience member don't question - or don't want to question - something mid-flow, mid-stream. If it were a lesser movie, this stuff would bother me more, and maybe it will in rewatches. But as a first-time viewing it was fine. It just went straight over me.

The post-tension aftermath part of the movie felt to me like perhaps the weakest part, though somewhat based in how damn Japanese it was in terms of trying to deal with this utterly nutso relationship the leads had going. Probably for me the most Shinkai part of the whole damn thing, and in some respects therefore the most formulaic (at least in terms of movies I remember of his).

---

Should I watch the Girl Who Leapt Through Time tomorrow? I've not seen it before.

pbayne

I hope that the remaning episodes Flip Flappers give us a bit more context.
That would make interpretations a lot easier.

We are at the part of the show where it is easy to speculate in many different directions, which can be a lot of fun. Tbh i don't really want the show to narrow down into a definitive "this is the answer".

Possible Crackpot Theories:

-Papika and Cocona are two halves of Mimi, with Salt possibly as a father figure. And the entire quest is for both sides to full accept and learn to love one another. Supported by the fact that their transformation state is the exact mirror of each other as well as their general personalities. Also supported by the fact that Cocona's one wish is to be with her family again.
-Cocona simply is Mimi. Hmm not sure but Pure Illusion has shown that it can completely rewrite reality. She does have recurring dreams about Mimi but its ambiguous at best as to their meaning other than at first Cocona found them scary but over the series has warmed to them.Which may explain why Papika recognises Cocona's scent as familiar and their quest for the shards is to put her back together in a sense. Would go alongside Cocona's entire character arc of trying to determine her own self worth and identity.
-As per the article Shard linked, it could be a story about closet homosexuality.
-Yayaka was Papika's partner(episode 1) at one point. Seems moderately likely to me. She clearly doesn't share the same goals as the twins which is why they can't transform together due to impedance and she was able to pilot the mecha with the girls through flip flapping. Does she love Cocona? Eh i don't remember anything that really suggests it but i guess they might reveal something.
-Mimi is an alternate reality or rather a projected "perfect" version of Cocona dreamt up through Pure Illusion. And Papika is using Cocona is trying to mold Cocona into that ideal image? Meh even i think thats bullshit but it's not entirely impossible since we still don't have much insight into Papika's perspective. I found it ominous in episode 4, when the two girls were opening up to each other that Papika elected to keep her wish a secret from Cocona.
-Or fuck i dunno maybe its a story about flip-flapping?

I wouldn't put too much stock in any of them really and heck i could easily point out logic holes in most of them but it's still fun to theorise on such a show.

TimmiT

Update on this:

Thank you for follow over 2,000.
We will offer something new with "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt". And it will make you excited.
https://twitter.com/GAINAX_WEST/status/802146582237827072
And they are not pachinko. Not a pachislot. Not a social network game. Not Blu-ray.
It will be officially announced on December 16.
https://twitter.com/GAINAX_WEST/status/802149505923616769
What you have to do before then may be to review "Panty and stocking with Garterbelt".
https://twitter.com/GAINAX_WEST/status/802150181206519808

DiGiKerot

Should I watch the Girl Who Leapt Through Time tomorrow? I've not seen it before.

Yes? I mean, aside from it being a great movie, even specifically after having seen Your Name, I think there's some interesting comparison points to be made between the two (saying this as someone who watched the two on consecutive days just last month!)

Kiss Him Not Me Episode 4 EngDub

When Shino was whining as Nana was physically interacting with him, the best. And all of Nanas and Shino's bickering scenes are so entertaining and enjoyable in the english dub.

Trickster Episode 4 EngDub

I love how Inoue and Kobayashi are, especially Kobayashi's harsh lines, but then also Kobayashi doing everything for those hamburgers with cheese.

Thud

All Out 8

Basically set up for the next episode. Treetrunk can also get angry.

Coach is best again.

Off to my pokemon addiction again~

Saiki Kusuo Episode 16 EngDub

Judgment Knights of Thunder in the bathroom scale scene was perfectly timed. I cant get enough of that song.

The running from Kokomi brother skit was the best dub. Always her inner thoughts of Saiki in english, so dramatic and funny.

DreamFes Episode 9
CyHlB1DWgAA2hSj.jpg:small
CyHmhDfXAAcA3dL.jpg:small

I love humble beginnings for idol anime. DearDream having mall concerts was lovely and how they got through the drama nice.

Also I love the age variety and characters too, businessmen being in male idols, and also the granny, and the shota. Great.

duckroll

I like how Jex led a bunch of people to their deaths via Texhnolyze but still hasn't posted a review of the biggest domestic box office hit in Japan in a gazillion years.

Bungo Stray Dogs 2 Episode 21 – Double Black

Chuuya x Dazai vs Lovecraft was the best. Glad it didnt even spend time on other characters.

Corruption is easily second favorite ability after Light Show.

Jex

I like how Jex led a bunch of people to their deaths via Texhnolyze but still hasn't posted a review of the biggest domestic box office hit in Japan in a gazillion years.
I want us to all be in pain together! Our bond will be forged through our shared wounds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom