• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an original commenter, what I'm going to say has already been said by the rest:

Yuri 08 It is meh, poor characterization of MC (what I will do if I do bad and Victor leaves me??), and sideline characters are usually one trick ponies defined by a single sentence. I see they make an effort to make every program diifferent, with a specific theme, music and dance that ties with it, but at this point I'm tired of ice skating numbers too.

March comes like a Lion 07 is so literal, the first half of the episode was Rei commenting literally how he felt, sentence by sentence, scene by scene.

The Great Passage - 07

names2hard4you said:
Nishioka is such a great character. I realized this week that I am watching the show for him, not Majime.

I said it a pair of episodes ago :)
The subdued but well done animation and the directing still pushes the series forward, while Nishioka as a very humane character really makes you empathize with the series. All the episodes following Majime would have been torture :p.

Haikyuu 8 Only this series knows to how good can be to stop the action for a moment and put a chant fight to dramatize the match even more, and how the chant extended as 'ost' as the match resumed was niiice.

Taruranto

Regardless with the characterization issues I have about YuI, I'm quite happy it's doing so well, I don't think even Mappa expected it to be so popular.

Hopefully Evgenija Medvedeva doesn't get arrested because of it, tho',

It also seems to be doing extremely in terms of streaming popularity as well, so it's clearly been very successful in terms of mindshare and general discussion.

Someone should have taken that bet about Keijo being the most popular anime of the season.

Line_HTX

It looks to me that Yuri on Ice!! is doing well despite its glaring flaws, like it captured the attention of a large crowd who don't really have much of a problem with its weaknesses, almost like SAO.

:p

phaze

Rei's monologues don't really strike me as any different then those of Tatami or Kare Kano. Bah they're much more edible than the latter's. Like Watashi, Rei is pretty much a narrator so of course he's going to do commenting on his inner state of mind.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 077

CyJGfLVVEAAPRa8.jpg
CyJGgZgUQAE3sR3.jpg

Oberstein attends a party. There's an explosion. Coincidence?

I love how when the news spreads around that Oberstein was in an accident the response from everyone is

"Did he die?"
"No"
"Well that's unfortunate."

But really its no surprise nobody likes him. You can't tell what he's thinking. He's exceedingly smart but morally bankrupt. He never shows any emotion and is damn near sociopathic. The only thing he actually likes is dogs. He has weird robot eyes. His complete reliance on logic has gotten people killed, and got one extremely important person killed. One time he advised Reinhard to watch a bunch of people get nuked for propaganda. He's got more tyrannical leanings then Reinhard and I'm sure he'd like a secret police. Dudes just kind of an asshole.

Rei's monologues don't really strike me as any different then those of Tatami or Kare Kano. Bah they're much more edible than the latter's. Like Watashi, Rei is pretty much a narrator so of course he's going to do commenting on his inner state of mind.

It varies. For example, time 18.25, he has a short monologue where I felt it was appropriately done

But in the first 8 minutes seemed really awkward to me, as it was clear what was happening visually, the monologue felt like duplicate info.

It's also different from series like Tatami, where the monologue is much tightly integrated in the whole style of the entire series, and the writing is sharper.

Sölf

So, I am in the mood to watch something that's just stupid fun and entertaining. Nothing deep, nothing which is a "must see" and also no pure comedy. Doesn't even have to be that good. Something like

- Deadman Wonderland
- Highschool of the Dead
- Mirai Nikki

...which all I haven't seen so far, but from what I know about them, may actually what I want to watch now. Are any of the above any good? Or anything similar (if they even are similar, I have no idea xD)?

Sölf;225449289 said:
Are any of the above any good? Or anything similar (if they even are similar, I have no idea xD)?

Mirai Nikki is fun!

If you watch Deadman Wonderland make sure to watch the dub for extra edgyness. I'd rather watch Mirai Nikki though.

Sölf;225449289 said:
So, I am in the mood to watch something that's just stupid fun and entertaining. Nothing deep, nothing which is a "must see" and also no pure comedy. Doesn't even have to be that good. Something like

- Deadman Wonderland
- Highschool of the Dead
- Mirai Nikki

...which all I haven't seen so far, but from what I know about them, may actually what I want to watch now. Are any of the above any good? Or anything similar (if they even are similar, I have no idea xD)?
Since I did not see any of the above

Myriad colors phantom world

Sölf;225449929 said:
Please god no. I saw that and after it was finished I was disappointed when I found out how much KyoAni has changed. D:

ok then Sky Wizard academy

I'm kidding don't watch that

Man my knowledge of dumb good bad show is more limited then I thought

phaze

Sölf;225449289 said:

- Deadman Wonderland
- Highschool of the Dead
- Mirai Nikki

Soultaker - Noir + Shinbo + Shounen ass screaming of attac names + imoutos of the week + space + actually interesting plotline and story progression till a point.

Though mirai isn't a bad pick if you want something so bad it's good. Deadman is an inferior show like that.

Sölf

Soultaker - Noir + Shinbo + Shounen ass screaming of attac names + imoutos of the week + space + actually interesting plotline and story progression till a point.

Though mirai isn't a bad pick if you want something so bad it's good. Deadman is an inferior show like that.

Deadman at least has a better opening. :p

So, since pretty much everyone says Mirai Nikki I suppose I will watch that.

Line_HTX

Sölf;225449289 said:

- Deadman Wonderland
- Highschool of the Dead
- Mirai Nikki

Highschool of the Dead for some really dumb stuff and unrealistic dodging, lmao

javac

Pretty sure you've spent more time complaining about how it does nothing for you than it would have taken to watch it already.

I often prefer talking about how much I hate anime rather than actually watching it.
Still haven't watched any of the animator expo stuff!

javac

Shame, you would have liked Gensatsu Gundam.

I probably would have found enjoyment from all of the shorts but in the end I just couldn't be arsed, as weird as it sounds the shorter stuff is more taxing on me, maybe because I've gotten to the point that I find it hard to separate just watching something for enjoyment and analysing every single frame, treating it like a subject and I realize that I'm not actually gaining any joy from watching things and instead everything has become clinical, cold and detached, a feeling that describes a vast majority of my relationship with anime. So when somebody insinuates that I could have just watched the short in the same amount of time that I spent talking about said short, in reality I see it as time and energy saved. If I don't feel a strong emotional pull gravitating me towards something I generally just ignore it. I've gone off the deep end basically.

Narag

I probably would have found enjoyment from all of the shorts but in the end I just couldn't be arsed, as weird as it sounds the shorter stuff is more taxing on me, maybe because I've gotten to the point that I find it hard to separate just watching something for enjoyment and analysing every single frame, treating it like a subject and I realize that I'm not actually gaining any joy from watching things and instead everything has become clinical, cold and detached, a feeling that describes a vast majority of my relationship with anime. So when somebody insinuates that I could have just watched the short in the same amount of time that I spent talking about said short, in reality I see it as time and energy saved. If I don't feel a strong emotional pull gravitating me towards something I generally just ignore it. I've gone off the deep end basically.

Or in the case of Patlabor Reboot, act like no one heard you the first time around...
or the second...
or etc.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Patlabor Reboot short is just kind of lousy. The self aware dialogue isn't witty at all so it just comes across as lame, and the action of the situation just feels meandering. Obviously the density of the image is a plus but at the end of the day it's just crummy CG robots flailing against each other in a way that's off-putting visually. Its slant on realism just does not hit at all in this era either. That there is no kill switch or more precise solution to some rampaging construction robot feels outdated against the imagery of modern social media.

javac

I've actually been thinking of re-watching Partlabor The TV Series recently, been listening to the soundtrack quite a bit as of late and its really getting me in the mood.

KamiCrit

Sölf;225449289 said:

- Deadman Wonderland
- Highschool of the Dead
- Mirai Nikki

I was very surprised about how addicting Mirai Nikki is. Each episode is so dense with content, I found it really hard to stop watching. Had to plan my day around watching it in blocks.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oberstein is 100% 'ends justifies the means'.

And that's why he's the greatest.

KamiCrit

The Red Turtle BD is out next week! Also, finally received my copy of The Place Promised in Our Early Days / Voices of a Distant Star Twin Pack after ordering it...

almost 3 years ago.

That three year wait.. Surprised the listing held for so long.

javac

That three year wait.. Surprised the listing held for so long.
Me too, I'm pretty sure that the set we received was a different beast to what was originally planned 3 years ago due to the pre-order price being £13 and the RRP now being £40! They'd have been within their right to cancel and create a new listing. Was a impulse purchase at that price!

-Minsc-

Let me get this straight, a bunch of people here are group watching Texhnolyze?

My sympathies to this thread. As always, I prescribe Usagi Drop post Texhnolyze. It should slowly revive everyones soul.

Sölf;225449289 said:

- Deadman Wonderland
- Highschool of the Dead
- Mirai Nikki

Skip Deadman Wonderland, after the first three episodes, I dozed off in the rest.

Highschool of the Dead is great, and Mirai Nikki too. TeamAkiseAru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom