• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Should have watched Baka to Test for stupid fun.

Elfen Lied for psychotic crazy fun

Mirai Nikki isn't a bad choice though.

P.S. Black Friday sucks, I miss my office.

turmoil

Banned
Your Name

It was an increasing emotional buildup from the beginning to the end and the songs were really great, teary eyes towards the end but it failed in making me cry.
How in the hell a teenager has access to explosives lol. I get that his dad is the owner of a construction company yet that is some pokemom level negligence

Kvik

In the cinema, watching trailers before Your Name.

People hated watching subs apparently. Only about 10 people here.

Woofington can't help he likes bad anime. It's just who he is.
Entertainment> quality

If I had to choose between watching Birdemic and a David lynch movie I'd watch Birdemic 9 times out of 10.

Coincidentally I'll watch psycho pass more often than I'd ever watch serial experiment lain again.

Mahouka is infinitely better than your show about the monster girls.

Monster girls are trash. Especially that spider. It should be squashed. Or burned down.

772.jpg

Fanservice continues to be the worst part about Flip Flappers

Haven't even seen a pretentious breakdown of why it works in context since it's a metaphor for blah, blah, blah

That's how bad and out of place it is practice

Gatdammit! And I had just finished watching the amazing Episode 7! 😠
This show is too good to deserve this. Yurikuma Arashi gives better excuses for its fanservice. For Izetta, at least its female leads are older. Flip Flappers seems to be desparately saying: "We want the Prisma Ilya crowd."

JulianImp

Gatdammit! And I had just finished watching the amazing Episode 7! ��
This show is too good to deserve this. Yurikuma Arashi gives better excuses for its fanservice. For Izetta, at least its female leads are older. Flip Flappers seems to be desparately saying: "We want the Prisma Ilya crowd."

It still doesn't excuse the fact that the fanservice feels asolutely out of place there, and making the characters older actually makes the whole thing even dumber. For example, when they're discussing how to tackle media coverage of Fine's coronation and Izetta's reveal, the assistant suddenly deciding to grope Izetta (on-camera) and Fine (offscreen) with the excuse of taking their measurements was puerile humor at its worst.

...But yeah, Flip Flappers is equally guilty of random camera shots and situations that try to sexualize the girls, and is something I wish wasn't happening there, either.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It must suck to not be entertained by quality.

the best part about low tier anime writing and discrimination is how more often than not they don't have the balls to deal with discrimination properly.

It's always "oh they suck at this thing" or "they have black hair"

Rarely color of the skin.

JulianImp

Yeah, it does suck... it's like you're supposed to write it off as "sasuga anime", but I just can't do that when the show appears to be serious and then it does some lewd gags out of nowhere.

I know it's probably a fallacy, but to me it'd be like an ecchi show that has the characters doing lewd stuff, only to suddenly pause and start debating philosophy every now and then. It's that kind of feeling of "wait, this doesn't really fit here" I get from shows like Izetta, and I also do get that FlipFlap's lewdness is probably more deeply ingrained into the show than being just a random element used for mood whiplashes.

LMAO

THIS SHOW

I forgot how the motherfucker invents the ability for mages to fly that was considered impossible in the universe itself and escape every scientist, and yet the family won't acknowledge him and treats him like garbage because he sucks at magic.

You can't make this shit up. I eat this up like booty for groceries. I'll pretend the writer is a comedic genius. Mahouka, you are my spirit anime.

JulianImp

Girlish Number.

Oh, now that's quality I can get behind. I expected a tale of a production trainwreck with an obnoxious protagonist, and that's just what I'm getting.

Out of the shows I've watched this season, I'm still okat with it, Kiss Him Not Me, and maybe Occultic;Nine (as well as JoJo if we count recurring series). The rest all range from ok (Eupho S2, Flip Flappers) to meh (Magical Girl, Izetta).

pbayne

Since it was brought up

I think of all the shows im still watching, Yuri on Ice is probably the most flagrant and guilty show of just almost completely objectifying its characters and putting them into sexy poses and lingering, revealing shots, Victor has probably spent more time naked than any other character this season for example, lol plus guys are pretty much dry humping the ice at points. And to be honest that’s what im still watching it for at this point. Because there’s fuck all else happening in the show. No exaggeration the characters in Free! have a marina trench worth of depth in comparison to Yuri on Ice’s. And im sure the show’s creator’s aim is to emphasis the sexiness of having hot guys in skimpy outfits doing proactive dances as much as possible and hey more power to them.

In comparison of the 4 episodes I watched of Izetta it just seemed like lowest common denominator “how do we get this character in a bath scene, or how do we get this character to feel the others breast”. Despite it’s setting it was just the same old tired bullshit that’s recycled endlessly. No context given, just completely interrupted the flow of the story and clashes with the tone because “we gotta get this shit in somewhere brother”.

Flip Flappers id say usually justifies it. It usually is woven into the story and serves some point like the shower/bath scene in episode 4 when Cocona and Papika were laying everything bare and opening up to one another. Or episode 8 and the blatant ass shot, which is a shot you see in tons of mecha anime so I guess you could call it a homage or inter-textual fanservice and the world was being partly influenced by Bu-chan who is a pervert which explains the voyeuristic angles. So at least there was some context for why it was happening and its built into the story/world so I didn’t mind it but I could totally understand why some people find it off-putting.

Jintor

Some spoilers. I talk about plot structure a bit, though not necessarily about specific events.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Though it compares unfavourably to my mind with Shinkai's later work, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time smacks of his trademark styles; revisiting the past, youthful protagonists bound by a romantic connection, astounding cinematography (though obviously not as evolved as later iterations) but still a basic thinned-lined, no shade energy to the whole production that renders it pleasantly enjoyable to watch. I don't know that there's much more to say on the praise side of things other than I enjoyed most of it and it was a good watch, but the ending kind of left me feeling a bit unsatisfied since it kind of chose a slightly more middle-of-the-road path than I would have preferred.

I did enjoy the way small events compounded and became big events, or the sequential progression of Makoto letting things play out, screwing up, discussing something with her Aunt, jumping back; I wasn't super into Makoto at the beginning when she's being super immature about the whole thing, but I suppose not every character in time-travel fiction has read time-travel fiction, so I suppose that's being a bit unfair. The mid-section of the movie I think is the strongest; the multiple compound hits of setting up Kousaka with the GF, then the reveal about the bike, then the fake-out, then one twist, then the second twist... that was all really excellent, and I was totally caught up in the film. And of course I love anything with quick cuts that efficiently gives the audience necessary information without any unnecessary meandering.

But it's around that point that for me the movie begins to subtly unravel; not necessarily in direction or tone, but around that point my suspension of disbelief begins to fray somewhat. It's where Chiaki moves from the role of side character to main character and frankly he kind of suffers for it. Obviously this reveal is strong and important, but his overall motive seems kind of... flat, for lack of a better word. Compare Your Name, where they really handle the balance of the deuteragonists in a really skillful way; here, revealing Chiaki as knowing and important to the mysteries of the film actually, to me, kind of alienates him from the emotive heart of the plot and makes him into more of a plot mechanic or contrivance.

The ending, I feel, is also a bit weak-willed - though perhaps that's just because I'm seeing it in contrast to Your Name (recently) and what I remember of 5cm per Second, both films which choose an ending and explicitly spell it out for the audience for a complete, if not necessarily satisfying, resolution (though Your Name leaves it somewhat to the imagination). Time on the other hand tries to have its cake and eat it, which is to say, both have a logical/plot resolution and a emotional resolution, except unlike the other two movies they don't seem in sync here so it all comes out a bit off.

Still, well worth watching.

/EDIT I AM AN IDIOT

Jintor

WELL THAT WOULD EXPLAIN THAT THEN

/edit i'm literally watching the director's commentary right now and completely glossed over that they were talking with hosoda. Fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom