• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

Trickster - Ep. 1
I'm really not sure about this one.
It was somewhat interesting, but also messy and confusing.
If nothing else the pink haired girl should keep my interested for a few more episodes.

BluWacky

It's somewhat hard to talk about Takashi Aoki, as a person would have to refer to two sides of his work, the photography component and the monitor design component. What makes this even more complicated is that he doesn't always manage both aspects in every production he works on, in fact he generally doesn't. The earliest I can find where he did monitor design work was in '06 with The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, a show so forgotten by time that the few people who actually did watch it probably forgot they did.

It's likely he did some monitor work on Fafner - Right of Left in 2005 as well, although there he's credited with Visual Effects. In fact, you note this later on in your post so I'm not sure why you left it out here...

I remember The Third. Mostly notable for being an LN adaptation in a time when such things weren't so popular.

I consider myself more knowledgeable than the average anime fan and I hadn't even heard of any of the above shows till the past three hours, as you can imagine they weren't exactly hits for one reason or another.

Avenger was peak Koichi Mashimo; I remember something about space... gladiators? Maybe? And incomprehensible Ali Project music, as always. Plus an ominous birthday cake in the opening credits.

Not one of his better shows, although in today's hyper "faux yuri" climate I wonder if all his post-Noir work would have been better received...

The visual quality of the show though was in line with other low quality shows in the mid 2000s and especially in line with Xebec's output at the time (look up Elemental Gelade or Kanokon if you don't believe me). That essentially means it looks like shit.

Having watched all of Elemental Gelade I would totally disagree with this. The design work for Heroic Age was leagues ahead of those shows, particularly in terms of its background art. I'm not saying it looked great - but it didn't look as bad as Xebec's lower budget stuff.

Incidentally, I remember the UI stuff for the original Fafner being really quite excellent - was Right of Left really that much of a step up?

Vqo0ay8.jpg

worldwide*

maybe canada
Lol right. Leaning more towards a flat-out no.

Line_HTX

Looks like Your Name has been seen over 10 million times in Japanese theaters now, and it has earned over 13 billion yen:
http://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1475555154

So it's the 5th highest grossing anime movie, 6th highest grossing Japanese movie, and 15th overall, which means it's earned more than The Wind Rises.

Your Name took out one Miyazaki movie. It and A Silent Voice are both making all kinds of bank right now, haha

SOLDIER

What's up with CR adding Fullemtal Alchemist Brotherhood? Did the rights issue that caused it to be pulled get sorted out?

I bought the whole series on Blu Ray upon the announcement that it was getting pulled. Kind of feels like a waste now.

Narag

What's up with CR adding Fullemtal Alchemist Brotherhood? Did the rights issue that caused it to be pulled get sorted out?

I bought the whole series on Blu Ray upon the announcement that it was getting pulled. Kind of feels like a waste now.

If you'd ever wanted to own it, that was the way to go as there's no telling if/when we'll see an AoA nor what the cost might be.

Copper

Seems the only place to watch Soushi Shoujo Matoi is The anime Network. Never used it but I guess I'll have to try it out. How fast is there simulcasts? First episode should be airing right now in Japan.

PK Gaming

At this point, the preemptive complaining directed towards the people who will complain about the potential yuri bait is more annoying than the complaints about yuri baiting itself.

Just let it rock. This thread isn't even 1/10th of as bad about the "yuriphonium" debates as some other places on the internet. And for the love of YHWH, don't drop a show because of pointless bickering. Especially if it's an anime that's as good as the original season of Sound Euphonium.

Line_HTX

K, I've seen the opening, I've watched the PV's, and I read the short synopsis over and over again. What is supposed to be special about FLIP FLAPPERS that's got everyone's attention? I don't see anything that's standing out like whoa, I gotta see this.

Deadly

K, I've seen the opening, I've watched the PV's, and I read the short synopsis over and over again. What is supposed to be special about FLIP FLAPPERS that's got everyone's attention? I don't see anything that's standing out like whoa, I gotta see this.
I think it's because of the staff that's involved?

BluWacky

It's a staff thing - it has some very talented animators working on it.

Copper

Matoi the Sacred Slayer - 1

I have mixed feeling on this. It did some things well. But I'm not really into the animation style. I'm getting a lot of Devil is a part timer vibes. This is suppose to be an original so we'll see how it goes. Pacing seemed kind of slow for this type of series.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The amazing animation and strong visual style are so apparent in the opening that I'm not sure how anyone could miss them...

Line_HTX

Oh, I see. It's mostly around the staff that's working on it.

At this point, the preemptive complaining directed towards the people who will complain about the potential yuri bait is more annoying than the complaints about yuri baiting itself.

Just let it rock. This thread isn't even 1/10th of as bad about the "yuriphonium" debates as some other places on the internet. And for the love of YHWH, don't drop a show because pointless bickering. Especially if it's an anime that's as good as the original season of Sound Euphonium.

This point especially. There are some people who feel like they really want to flip tables at others and then drop the show out of spite. Euphonium can be enjoyed individually without resorting to all that bitching.

This OP is darker than I anticipated. I wonder if that's indicative of a side of the show we haven't seen in the PVs or simply a strange decision for the OP.

I noticed that as well. The PVs had this lighthearted, silly feel but the OP, aside from the last few seconds, has this more shadowy side to it.

Whatever the case, it definetly makes me more interested in the show.

Kyuur

Been a while since I've been in the thread, and probably will stay out of it since my group tends to watch shows in weekly bulk instead of on release as opposed to folks in here.

Just wanted to pop in and give my props to the last season; we were watching Re:Zero, Sweetness & Lightning, Orange, 91 Days and Mob Psycho. All pretty fantastic in their own way (Mob Psycho shooting for GOAT status though). The next one is filled with sequels, not sure if there will be any standout original content from what I briefly looked over. We'll see in the next week or so.

Lastly, I've finally started watching the second of Jojo Part 3 (rewatched the first 2.5 parts with my fiancee who had not seen yet). We hit Pet Shop and damn -- that was fantastic. I was waiting for the episode when Iggy would become relevant and it hit hard as hell. Sadly afterwards in typically Part 3 fashion is transitioned into something not quite so awesome with D'Arby 2.0 (only halfway through that encounter, maybe it will get better). D'Arby 1.0 and N'Doul were also fantastic episodes, maybe Anubis as well (the studio seems to give a lot of love to Polnareff's episodes in particular). Excited to see the climax and move onto Part 4.

funimation simuldub list

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016..._content=season-announcement&utm_nooverride=1

•Drifters
•91 Days
•Mob Psycho 100
•Orange
•ReLIFE
•Joker Game
•Alderamin On the Sky
•Keijo!!!!!!!!
•Izetta, the Last Witch
•Yuri on Ice
•All Out!
•Touken Ranbu: Hananmaru
•Kiss Him, Not Me
•Trickster
•Nanbaka
•The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
.•Puzzle & Dragons X
•Show by Rock!! 2

I guess we get no Monster hunter stories dub, a real shame.

Matoi the Sacred Slayer 1
Those looking looking for an ugly and extremely trashy Nanoha ripoff are in luck this season! It even comes complete with parental molestation because jokes about that are always funny.

Matoi the Sacred Slayer 1
Those looking looking for an ugly and extremely trashy Nanoha ripoff are in luck this season! It even comes complete with parental molestation because jokes about that are always funny.

Aw man, really? I'll check it out myself and see how bad it is but that's a bummer.

Who needs a Nanoha rip-off when you have Nanoha this season?

Is Nanoha even in that Vivid Strike show?

Sölf

Trickster 01
Hm, well, I definitly get some sort of Hamatora vibes from this. So far it's interesting enough and I like the main. Will give it some more episodes and then decide whether I should continue with this or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom