• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MQXzACv.gif

Whoops, didn't mean to quote that.

I figured out the ending.
She is "the last witch" because there is no way for two women to have a baby. Yuri confirmed.
You heard it here first folks.

Just T

Alderamin on the Sky: 9

Nanaku got some skills but of course Yatori got that under control. This really is a terrible situation for both sides.

Cornbread78

Yuri is tearing us apart.

No, if done well, it will bring us closer, since we will cheer on a loving ship!

In other news, the ED for Magical Girl Raising Project is the best I've heard in a long, long time. There's no audio version of it up on Youtube, although Nightcore did do the below.

https://youtu.be/mefGcKCo-II

How long will it be before a version is allowed to stay posted on Youtube?

Cornbread78

Wifey is S.C.P S2 ep.1
Yeah, for some reason I forgot how trashy this short was.... It's got some decent comedy, but damn..

Thunderbolt Fantasy - 3

Man, it's amazing at how simple this premise is and how refreshing it is at the same time. It's literally "we gotta go through three scary places to fight a bunch of scary dudes at an even scarier place". That's it.

Urobuchi is really shining with the character interactions here. Lǐn Xuě Yā's silver tongue is great.

jonjonaug

Utapri 1: The G Gundam of idol anime has made its triumphant return. Nanami's harem has gone from seven to eleven to now EIGHTEEN boys and every single one of them got crammed into an utterly ridiculous musical number where she gets abducted by them in a limo then in a truck then in a plane to kick things off. Then Wakamoto and Sugita show up to be their ridiculous selves before the episode gets closed out.

Please watch Utapri it's really good.

Citrus is trash yuri tho. Shame its like the only Yuri series thats licensed. Whens Honto no Kanojo anime.

Uh, what? There's like 15-20 or so yuri manga that are licensed, a bunch are pretty good?

EDIT: Maybe not that many but there's definitely around a dozen or more if you count the ones coming out early next year.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 25

We're halfway through the season, and appropriately we get an episode featuring all 9 principle characters. S4 enjoyed putting Koharu through the ringer a little too much. Interesting that Yume ended up being Tsubasa's assistant. Secret plan to poach Song Class's star? Tsubasa led well as expected, but Yuzu also kept mostly sane this time. Yozora sure enjoys performing with her sister. And Asahi has an interest in Koharu now. Does Koharu have some special perfume that attracts Kasumis? Yume gets some clever ideas, and the cameos were good to see. All in all, a nice way to close out the mid-season.

Thunderbolt Fantasy - 5

Dang, this was fantastic. I didn't expect Shang to actually go and have a legit one-on-one conversation with Mr. Screaming Phoenix Killer. I was on the edge of my seat during the entire thing.

It's gonna be interesting to see how
all these guys interact seeing as how two of them hate Gui Nao's guts.

Clov

Aniplex finally released Kizu Part I in a few Canadian theaters a month or two ago, so I expect Part II will also get released there eventually.

It will, but judging by Kizu part 1 it won't be a lot. Aniplex used to put thier films in much more theaters over here; for example, each of the three Madoka movies had wider distribution. All three even played in my home city at the time, a much smaller city than something like Toronto. They were popular too; all three showings of the films I went to were sold out entirely. The theater was packed! I wonder if it has something to do with the decline of our dollar. Maybe our money is worth so little now that they don't think it's worth it to have showings in lots of Canadian cities anymore? It's really a shame; seeing great anime films in a theater is a wonderful experience.

Jarmel

Banned
It's somewhat hard to talk about Takashi Aoki, as a person would have to refer to two sides of his work, the photography component and the monitor design component. What makes this even more complicated is that he doesn't always manage both aspects in every production he works on, in fact he generally doesn't. The earliest I can find where he did monitor design work was in 2005 with Fafner: Right of Left (although not formally credited for monitor design) and 2006 with The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, a show so forgotten by time that the few people who actually did watch it probably forgot they did. As for the cinematography/photography side, I can go back to 1998 with Shadow Skill TV and 2003 with Avenger, no not the Avengers.
BRIrpSs.png

Shadow Skill has some fine character designs though.
I consider myself more knowledgeable than the average anime fan and I hadn't even heard of any of the above shows till the past three hours, as you can imagine they weren't exactly hits for one reason or another. There's nothing particularly unique about any of them. Now one I have watched was Heroic Age in 2007, not that it was particularly memorable either. Aoki was the cinematographer (seems to be same role as director of photography) for Heroic Age. The visual quality of the show though was in line with other low quality shows in the mid 2000s and especially in line with Xebec's output at the time (look up Elemental Gelade or Kanokon if you don't believe me). That essentially means it looks like shit.
The first production where he was in a lead position and where Xebec put out a work that was visually impressive was Fafner: Heaven and Earth in 2010. Yes I'm aware Xebec put out Broken Blade earlier that year however I don't feel it's a stunning production on an optical level, despite some of the sakuga cuts and 2D mechs, as the art direction is somewhat flat (largely due to the setting). Aoki earlier had started doing monitor design work in Fafner: Right of Left and not by coincidence that was when the monitor designs in the franchise showed a significant improvement. Heaven and Earth was the first time where he did both cinematography and monitor design work for a single production. The results speak for themselves.
At the time Aoki was working for Studio Twinkle but even in their catalogue I can't find any sort of quality increase that could explain the insane jump upwards. Even for a movie production this is ridiculously well shot from a cinematography standpoint. There's extremely effective use of depth of focus, atmospheric lighting, bloom, and stylistic lens flare. That's just on the photography side, the monitor design work also showed significant improvement and complexity. Aoki had previously worked on Gundam Unicorn, on the monitor work side, which released earlier that year so it's possible some of the techniques there brushed off on him.
The next released production of his was Lagrange - The Flower of Rin-ne, although I imagine he did work on Yamato 2199 first. Lagrange is kind of weird in that it feels like a regression or exception to Aoki's development as a photography director. There's a weird form of chromatic aberration that seems like a light form of GoHand's garbage, messy use of DOF and other times the backgrounds look over-processed. The audience can see the framework of his earlier works in Lagrange but it never quite comes together as well as it should. Interestingly enough though, some of the monitor designs actually look like his work in Fafner although he's not formally credited for any of the monitor work. So the next production where he does both cinematography and monitor design would be Yamato 2199.
yamato219934lfs51.jpg
yamato219913cdsio.jpg
yamato219927ssjc.jpg
yamato219955kmsln.jpg

I just used Jexhius's images because I'm too lazy right now.
I could create a dedicated post just for Yamato 2199's visuals. He does an exceptional job of creating these photorealistic shots with tons of complex lighting and meticulous textures. The only two other studios who come close in this style are the in-houses at Ufotable and KyoAni. The monitor work though is something that will become a calling card on future productions of Aoki's. For example in the above screenshots, information is conveyed in a visually pleasing manner due to elements such as color schemes, legible text, exhaustive schematics, or detailed geographical positions. There was a lot of care and effort put into the user interfaces and that's something that you don't see often in anime productions. The level of work he puts into monitor design is probably the highest in the industry. Here's an English translated interview where Aoki discusses his Yamato 2199 work and the insane amount of labor put into it. The next major production for him, after the Yamato movie although he did do monitor design work in the Psycho-Pass movie, would be back to Fafner with Exodus in 2015.
It's absolutely mindblowing that Aoki was able to keep a near movie-level quality to a TV level production. There were a lot of production issues with Exodus though, as it was pushed back repeatedly, which might hint at how challenging this production was. It's not just the photography work but the monitor work is also to the same quality as Yamato 2199 as well.
I've talked about this in the past but it's worth repeating that monitor designs like these are important not only for aesthetic reasons but these shots also help increase the audience's contextual understanding of a scene and so are important for narrative reasons as well, not to mention assisting in the scifi atmosphere. For example the above shot conveys how many people are left, their status, and who Fenrir is being activated on. That's a much more effective way of conveying basic information rather than through lines of dialogue. Anyway after Fafner: Exodus, he did the monitor designs for Gundam Thunderbolt. It seems like he's becoming Sunrise Studio 1's go-to-guy for monitor designs as he also worked on Reconguista in G.
qpGRamM.png
uvtjWys.png

The Zeon monitor work is straight out of Fafner.
Can't blame them. Takashi Aoki's rise in Xebec has correlated with a strong increase not only in the quality of the cinematography in their output (Lagrange aside) but also in their monitor CGI and designs, which is important due to how much scifi Xebec works on. If you look at the non-Aoki Xebec works, his absence can very easily be noted.

zulux21

cross post from the light novel thread.

huh sword art online novel sales.
The announcement notes that the novel series has sold 19 million copies worldwide, with overseas sales accounting for 6.5 million of that number. The novels have sold 12.5 million copies in Japan, 3.73 million copies in China, 1.45 million copies in Taiwan, 770,000 copies in South Korea, and 370,000 copies in North America and the United Kingdom.

source

there are what, 8 main story and 3 progressive novels released, meaning at best the recent volumes have sold what... a little over 30,000 copies? (given that a decent number of the sales would be frontloaded to volumes 1/2 I would imagine that 8 and progressive 3 sold around 10k or so each)

I wonder how many sales it takes for the book to be a success for them.
and how the other series are doing.

I mean 10k times lets say $5 after cost of printing and retailer costs.

I wonder if 50k is really enough for the license and the translation.

though I suppose since most of the books they publish are from the company that bought a majority share in them the license fee likely isn't as much of an issue anymore.

so I wonder how much the translators make for it and how many sales they need before they need to think about cancelling a book.

as far as I know yen press hasn't cancelled a light novel yet, so hopefully it is a case where they are taking profits from their more popular series to cover less popular series, as I know I would seriously question continuing to buy series if they stopped releasing one of my favorite series.

Ace Attorney 6 Case 5 Up to Investigation Day 2

Man, this case is long. That breakdown animation was amazing tho. Fantastic stuff.

I am disappointed to learn
Maya has been kidnapped again. I had to defend her, and now she's been kidnapped. Not the most glamorous return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom