• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

Arakawa Under the Bridge 12-13 END

Hm, this was a very good ride. Not entirely conclusive in what it hinted but I am satisfied with what I saw.

It almost entirely ran with a setting surrounding a very grounded and perhaps extremely logical person having to live amongst a group of eccentrics who are extreme in their own ways. Nobody is "realistic" in the show but it's just two extremes brought together and when that happens, there's so much that invokes thought. Every little gag has Ichinomiya the lead guy posessing the same degree of innocence and naivety despite having been through numerous ridiculous moments, his hope for sanity in every eccentric person is sparked over the slightest hint. That naivety is often expressed through him trying to justify the other with monologues along the lines of "hey, maybe he/she's a normal person after all" only to be betrayed over and over again. It's not say it gets tiresome but it's paced and spread out amongst a diverse cast with great personality to remain consistently funny.

It's ethical/social/personal undertones are welcome albeit it doesn't try too hard to push or expand them which is probably what I would've liked but not something I would insist on. I appreciate the presence of them.

The direction is for obvious reasons reminiscent of Monogatari and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and the fact that its voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya only adds to the familiar air. The episodic character arcs and the eventual approach to Ko's own side of the story is handled well through out and it seems it was under the hands of one of the main directors in SHAFT: Yukihiro Miyamoto who happens to dabble a lot of comedy in general.

There's a lot of great layouts in the show although upon recalling I can only find images of the first episode at the top of my head. Nothing I would say that stood out in terms of animation. The aesthetic is something I found rather drab and I think that's probably what they were going for, it just didn't seem to resonate with as much personality as SZS but it is what I would say, closer to Monogatari.

Now I'm wondering if I should watch the sequel or hold off and watch Gunslinger Girl. I'm inclined to hold off but I just don't know when I'll get back to it which what I usually end up doing with sequels to episodic shows, especially comedy centric shows.

Qurupeke

Soushin Shoujo Matoi 1

Matoi's friend was very fun to watch. At least the show seems like it will provide some nice reaction faces. Other than that, it was pretty unmemorable, with terrible action and everything else was unfunny. I'm not looking forward to the stuff that the first scene depicted...

Also, yellow subs suck. RIP Flip Flappers.

Rowena

Neo Member
funimation simuldub list

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016..._content=season-announcement&utm_nooverride=1

•Drifters
•91 Days
•Mob Psycho 100
•Orange
•ReLIFE
•Joker Game
•Alderamin On the Sky
•Keijo!!!!!!!!
•Izetta, the Last Witch
•Yuri on Ice
•All Out!
•Touken Ranbu: Hananmaru
•Kiss Him, Not Me
•Trickster
•Nanbaka
•The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
.•Puzzle & Dragons X
•Show by Rock!! 2

I guess we get no Monster hunter stories dub, a real shame.

Some questions. I haven't had a Funimation subscription before and am curious about the "simuldub" and a certain anime. I've been waiting for someone to pick up "Keijo!!!!" And it looks like Funimation did. Its listed under their "Simuldub" list. Does this mean it will be available to stream on the 6th of October and will this be subbed
and dubbed or just dubbed?

Also with the Funimation/Crunchy Roll deal, will this be available on CrunchyRoll?

So I (begrudgingly) signed up for Anime Network and what is this I didn't know this existed.

Ct8RqGPWYAAUpEq.jpg:large

It actually has some nice animation in it. And Walter is a boss.

The description makes it seem like a one-hour adaptation of the game, but I start the episode up and I see a scene
involving Bleublanc attacking.
I've played up until the end of chapter 3 of FC, and that hasn't happened yet
(Ouroboros also wasn't even mentioned at that point IIRC)
so is it going over the last chapter or something?

zulux21

funimation simuldub list

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016..._content=season-announcement&utm_nooverride=1

•Drifters
•91 Days
•Mob Psycho 100
•Orange
•ReLIFE
•Joker Game
•Alderamin On the Sky
•Keijo!!!!!!!!
•Izetta, the Last Witch
•Yuri on Ice
•All Out!
•Kiss Him, Not Me
•Trickster
•Nanbaka
.•Puzzle & Dragons X
•Show by Rock!! 2

it's a decent list
I will likely just wait and watch drifters, izetta, all out, kiss him, not me, trickster and nanbaka dubbed from the new season.

and then watch 91 days, orange, alderamin and maybe joker game from the old seasons
and likely rewatch mob psycho and maybe relife.

if I am bored I might watch yuri on ice
Some questions. I haven't had a Funimation subscription before and am curious about the "simuldub" and a certain anime. I've been waiting for someone to pick up "Keijo!!!!" And it looks like Funimation did. Its listed under their "Simuldub" list. Does this mean it will be available to stream on the 6th of October and will this be subbed
and dubbed or just dubbed?

Also with the Funimation/Crunchy Roll deal, will this be available on CrunchyRoll?

their dubs are typically delayed 2-4 weeks compared to the japanese release. a good turn around for a dub, but still behind the japanese release.

keijo should also end up on crunchy sub only near japanese airing though due to their new deal.
crunchy = subs
funimation = dubs

and both are sharing their lineup with each other.

The description makes it seem like a one-hour adaptation of the game, but I start the episode up and I see a scene
involving Bleublanc attacking.
I've played up until the end of chapter 3 of FC, and that hasn't happened yet
(Ouroboros also wasn't even mentioned at that point IIRC)
so is it going over the last chapter or something?

It's fanservice that won't make sense to anyone that hasn't played SC. It's a condensed version of the first part of SC that ends with
the Joshua/Estelle reunion on the airship.

Rowena

Neo Member
it's a decent list
I will likely just wait and watch drifters, izetta, all out, kiss him, not me, trickster and nanbaka dubbed from the new season.

and then watch 91 days, orange, alderamin and maybe joker game from the old seasons
and likely rewatch mob psycho and maybe relife.

if I am bored I might watch yuri on ice

their dubs are typically delayed 2-4 weeks compared to the japanese release. a good turn around for a dub, but still behind the japanese release.

keijo should also end up on crunchy sub only near japanese airing though due to their new deal.
crunchy = subs
funimation = dubs

and both are sharing their lineup with each other.

Ah ok! Good to know. So it's safe to assume that since Funimation has the rights to "dub" the anime, then CrunchyRoll will get the rights to steam the subbed "simulcast"? I'm hoping this is the case. I've been watching CR Twitter hoping to see the announcement.

It's fanservice that won't make sense to anyone that hasn't played SC. It's a condensed version of the first part of SC that ends with
the Joshua/Estelle reunion on the airship.

Wow, what a bait-and-switch of a description then, lol.

I'm surprised it has a dub. I'm glad they didn't use that
Bleublanc voice in Cold Steel II.

zulux21

Ah ok! Good to know. So it's safe to assume that since Funimation has the rights to "dub" the anime, then CrunchyRoll will get the rights to steam the subbed "simulcast"? I'm hoping this is the case. I've been watching CR Twitter hoping to see the announcement.

I wouldn't say it's quite safe to assume, as this is the first season of their agreement, but from what was announced that should be the case.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Soushin Shoujo Matoi Episode 1:

Well, it isn't the most generic thing I have seen this season but it is pretty damn close. I might stick with this show for a few more episodes given its release on a Tuesday.

duckroll

Doukyuusei

This was pretty hot. It's impressive that they just played a gay high school romance story straight. The story would be basically identical if it were just a boy and a girl, but probably with less stares. I liked the art style a lot, and even though there were lots of great animators on the film, there wasn't much animation which really stood out. It was consistent and subtle, which is rather restrained for Japanese animation. Cool stuff.

Since DTL isn't here I have to make up for it...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Doukyuusei

This was pretty hot. It's impressive that they just played a gay high school romance story straight. The story would be basically identical if it were just a boy and a girl, but probably with less stares. I liked the art style a lot, and even though there were lots of great animators on the film, there wasn't much animation which really stood out. It was consistent and subtle, which is rather restrained for Japanese animation. Cool stuff.

I think to be fair, a lot of shounen ai is like that. Same with yuri to some extent, although I find yuri more interested in trying to explore some of the social contexts of being queer in a society that basically wants you to not exist.

Szadek

Space Patrol Luluco - Ep. 7-8
I knew that this series would have tons of references to other Trigger shows,but I wasn't ready for this.
Not that I'm complaning, it's pretty damn cool.

Gvitor

I've Always Liked You

TAKE A FUCKING NOTE, ORANGE
MAKING LUNCH EVERYDAY IS BOTHERSOME

I liked this.

In fact, I didn't even realize it was a movie up until I was like 45min into it and it still hadn't finished. At first I thought it was a double episode, time just flew by.

PK Gaming

Doukyuusei

Man, i'm definitely going to check this out

Feels like anime is getting more queer friendly, which is great. A lot of it is pandering, but it's still nice to see this sort of thing pop up from time to time.

I noticed that as well. The PVs had this lighthearted, silly feel but the OP, aside from the last few seconds, has this more shadowy side to it.

Whatever the case, it definetly makes me more interested in the show.

I thought it would make you less interested in the show, given your expressed distaste for magical girl shows that rely on dark twists.

I thought it would make you less interested in the show, given your expressed distaste for magical girl shows that rely on dark twists.

I never said I didn't like magical girl shows that have dark twists. It's the magical girl shows that desperately try to sell themselves by being totally unsubtle with their dark twists like Raising Project or Daybreak Illusion that bother me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Arakawa Under the Bridge 12-13 END

Now I'm wondering if I should watch the sequel or hold off and watch Gunslinger Girl. I'm inclined to hold off but I just don't know when I'll get back to it which what I usually end up doing with sequels to episodic shows, especially comedy centric shows.
You should watch the live action version. lol

Clov

Doukyuusei

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It really is a nice film. I love how personal this film feels; while there's other characters who play small roles in the story, everything is so intensely focused on the main couple. It felt a bit refreshing to me, honestly. It's beautiful to look at, too! I can't wait to pick up the BD of this.

Cornbread78

Hey guys, can someone give me a hand and scrub through the Drifters OT for me?

Drifters OT

It's gotten really busy the past couple days and I could use a hand with edits/proofing.

I still have to finish the Occultic; Nine one in-between calls tomorrow as well.

phaze

Hakaba Kitarou 02
020469eis5e.jpg
020479v9s2o.jpg
020481pdspc.jpg
020487fosk1.jpg

Today for dinner; fried Eyeman in batter.

This episode had:
  • MC getting straight up farted on
  • European Dracula and Chinese Dracula duking it out for meal
  • Kitarou killing a person.

Thankfully the pacing issues went away completely, though the tone is as still ... unusual. Glad Kitarou's foster father came back, there's an inkling of an interesting relationship in there.

Line_HTX

I've Always Liked You

TAKE A FUCKING NOTE, ORANGE
MAKING LUNCH EVERYDAY IS BOTHERSOME

I liked this.

In fact, I didn't even realize it was a movie up until I was like 45min into it and it still hadn't finished. At first I thought it was a double episode, time just flew by.

The trailer looked good enough to be less of an eyeroll than Orange. Should be interesting.

Natsume's Book of Friends S5 1

Yep, it's more Natsume. Better than I feared, though perhaps not as good as I had hoped for. It's reasonably pleasant, and I was very happy to get a story that focused so heavily on Reiko. Those tend to be the best part of the series. Kotomi Deai's direction is fine, atmospheric enough, if not particularly inspired. Natsume is still essentially a poor man's Mushishi, but if it stays that and doesn't venture too much into clunky action-ish offshoots like the past season did it should be a satisfactory watch.

Nobunaga no Shinobi 1

This is probably one of the most positive depictions of Nobunaga you can find in anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Natsume's Book of Friends S5 1

Yep, it's more Natsume. Better than I feared, though perhaps not as good as I had hoped for. It's reasonably pleasant, and I was very happy to get a story that focused so heavily on Reiko. Those tend to be the best part of the series. Kotomi Deai's direction is fine, atmospheric enough, if not particularly inspired. Natsume is still essentially a poor man's Mushishi, but if it stays that and doesn't venture too much into clunky action-ish offshoots like the past season did it should be a satisfactory watch.
Oh wow, it's back?
Is there still some weird faction war thing that I remember back from season 4?

Quasar

Oh wow, it's back?

My most anticpated show all year. Did not know there was factions either.

I adored all the seasons myself. And if I look at my mal its my alltime #1 show considering its length. Well that or Spice and Wolf.

Much preferred it over Mushishi.

Curiously, despite having the aussie rights for prior seasons CR does not have the Aussie rights for S5.

Oh wow, it's back?

Yes, it is back. The one arc in season 4 you're referring to is not picked up on in this new episode. It's an archtypical episode of "Natsume encounters a youkai with a previous connection to Reiko and heartwarming antics ensue."

kewlmyc

funimation simuldub list

•Drifters
•91 Days
•Mob Psycho 100
•Orange
•ReLIFE
•Joker Game
•Alderamin On the Sky
•Keijo!!!!!!!!
•Izetta, the Last Witch
•Yuri on Ice
•All Out!
•Kiss Him, Not Me
•Trickster
•Nanbaka
.•Puzzle & Dragons X
•Show by Rock!! 2

I was promised an Ace Attorney dub, what the fuck...

jgminto

Doukyuusei

Is this licensed for English home release yet? It's definitely something I'd want to support with money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom