• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as it can last until this next Avengers film and it end there, I'm fine with it. If it goes further, they should just focus on Spiderman and Guardians of the Galaxy

duckroll

I'm not saying no 'freeform' animation works for me. It's just that part of my impression in that shot was "huh, that looked a bit strange", meaning that alongside what it tried to express, it unfortunately also elicited that reaction from me. If it didn't, disregarding how it was animated, then I wouldn't complain.

But this isn't unusual in anime at all, and it is in fact one of the fundamental creative differences between the Japanese animation industry and most others. Consistency is absolutely a huge deal and a sort of industry standard in western animation, where the hand of the animator being visible in terms of personal styles is discouraged if it stands out from the rest of the work. On the other hand, Japanese animation actively encourages this in the industry culture, and there are animation directors who not only will not "correct" cuts which are deliberately off key, but some actually seek out animators who offer something very different for certain scenes even if they stick out to the casual viewer.

There isn't really a right or wrong here, but I would say that in terms of communicating a story and getting an expected response from the majority of the audience, the western mindset makes a lot more sense than the Japanese one. On the other hand if you don't really care that much about that, and see animation as a pure expression of the works of the artists involved, then there's no better place to work as an animator than Japan, as long as you're not actually hard up for cash. Lol.

Micchan's waifu is gorgeous. That mature serious beauty.

Btw. you were shown yet another lady in ep1 who will resurface at episode 3. The show has all the waifu you can ask for!

But this isn't unusual in anime at all, and it is in fact one of the fundamental creative differences between the Japanese animation industry and most others. Consistency is absolutely a huge deal and a sort of industry standard in western animation, where the hand of the animator being visible in terms of personal styles is discouraged if it stands out from the rest of the work. On the other hand, Japanese animation actively encourages this in the industry culture, and there are animation directors who not only will not "correct" cuts which are deliberately off key, but some actually seek out animators who offer something very different for certain scenes even if they stick out to the casual viewer.

There isn't really a right or wrong here, but I would say that in terms of communicating a story and getting an expected response from the majority of the audience, the western mindset makes a lot more sense than the Japanese one. On the other hand if you don't really care that much about that, and see animation as a pure expression of the works of the artists involved, then there's no better place to work as an animator than Japan, as long as you're not actually hard up for cash. Lol.

I mean, I guess it came across as though I do not appreciate any artistic creativity whatsoever. But I completely agree with with you and like this aspect of Japanese animation you mention.

It's just that the one scene I mentioned didn't quite work for me. It's not even like I was watching it and immediately thought "HORRIBLE". It just didn't feel completely right.

When I was searching for nice animation showcases of other episodes I actually stumbled upon one which has a shot that was quite stylized and had characters in the distance with pretty loosely animated facial features that I didn't even see as such until I rewatched the scene several times. Meaning that was an instance that just worked for me.

Scene in question. (from episode 3)

Those boys didn't elicit "weird facial movement" reactions from me. Instead the animation conveyed their joyful and energetic nature without any such side effect.

pbayne

Just started watching the Great Passage

Man I'm a fucking nerd, and I want to smack the books out of this guy's hands.

YOU LIKE DICTIONARIES NERD. DO YOU LIKE THEM IN THE GROUND. YEAH. DEFINE THAT.

Id be worried touching those dictionaries. I mean the older editor guy, he really likes dictionaries. I hear the arousal in his voice. See the lustful glint in his eyes.
Tbh id be checking his dick for paper cuts or worried what substance was keeping those pages closed :).

Great Passage 8

New girl+time skip? I question the logic a bit but sure why not. Need to get the plot fast forwarded somehow.
I got the point of the episode but it did little to jolt me out of apathy towards the show even though i enjoyed the first 10 minutes where they went through the everyday mundane tasks.
From a character standpoint, i think Majime's a complete dead end. Im just not interested in him at all.

duckroll

Oh God this Fafner episode is going to end on a straight hilarious note won't it.

The only thing hilarious about the first Fafner series to me, is seeing someone else try to suffer through that boring shit in the hopes of reaching enlightenment. Having gone through this journey, all I can say is.... lol good luck.

Btw. you were shown yet another lady in ep1 who will resurface at episode 3. The show has all the waifu you can ask for!

I mean, I guess it came across as though I do not appreciate any artistic creativity whatsoever. But I completely agree with with you and like this aspect of Japanese animation you mention.

It's just that the one scene I mentioned didn't quite work for me. It's not even like I was watching it and immediately thought "HORRIBLE". It just didn't feel completely right.

When I was searching for nice animation showcases of other episodes I actually stumbled upon one which has a shot that was quite stylized and had characters in the distance with pretty loosely animated facial features that I didn't even see as such until I rewatched the scene several times. Meaning that was an instance that just worked for me.

Scene in question. (from episode 3)

Those boys didn't elicit "weird facial movement" reactions from me. Instead the animation conveyed their joyful and energetic nature without any such side effect.
Im already one episode behind its been good lol looking forward to catching up

phaze

The only thing hilarious about the first Fafner series to me, is seeing someone else try to suffer through that boring shit in the hopes of reaching enlightenment. Having gone through this journey, all I can say is.... lol good luck.

Clearly, this entire, nefarious, shilling campaign is just a elaborate hoax designed to make me navigate through genuinely one of the worst mecha shows ever. This Exodus thing either doesn't exist or is just a sardonic way of describing the fate of your very soul at the end of such perilous journey.

The Life and
Assimilation
of Koyo Kasugai 09

022769h1l59.jpg
022775n5yy8.jpg
02278267ac3.jpg

PS. Kasugai is the Kariya of this series right ?

They stopped at the last moment. ;(

It's been a long while since I've last seen a show where the gap between the emotions a series attempts to evoke in you and the ones that are actually elicited is so gargantuan..

JulianImp

Shin Gojira
They had it on the plane, so I finally got around to watching it.

The whole exchange about one guy saying that the Japanese government had a whole two hours to stop Godzilla, only for the other guy to say that they only had two hours to stop it summed things up perfectly. Also, the funny thing was that it seemed like Gojira would've won if only it hadn't shot the prime minister's helicopter down with its atomic breath.

It was a shame that the subs skipped out on 90% of people's titles (and of course helicopter names had higher priority than ministers', because stuff), but it was still an entertaining watch. I never felt like the scientists struggling to figure Godzilla out was nearly as thrilling as watching the whole country get tangled on their red tape while the kaiju wrecked stuff though, so the first part was certainly more entertaining for me than the latter one.

Jex

Almost everything you linked to (the animation and stills) are examples of why the The Great Passage 8 was such a good looking and well animated episode. Heck, they're some of the clips I'd personally want to use to argue for my perspective. As we fundamentally disagree on aesthetics there really isn't anything to be gained from running through your examples point by point.

I will reiterate my earlier point, which you have continued to focus on, namely the idea that animation being "off-model" is bad. Most of the episode is filled with interesting, lively, idiosyncratic and effective animation. Not all of it adheres to the same exact visual style but neither does it need to in order to effectively convey the needs of the scene in which it appears. Would I like to see the individual style of the artists who crafted the animation smoothed away in order to serve some need for monolithic conformity? No.

If I wanted to see sterile, formulaic, lifeless but smooth character animation I'd watch a Hayo Miyazaki movie.

Qurupeke

Diebuster [END]

Excellent, right from the start this time. Really loved how they connected the two series. I found Gunbuster's final episode to be the best of both series, but overall I enjoyed Diebuster much more than the first one.

It seems the pose with the crossed hands is what predominantly stands out but the whole thing with ripping off the shirt to get the core was even more badass, both times. So good.

Jex

Diebuster [END]

Excellent, right from the start this time. Really loved how they connected the two series. I found Gunbuster's final episode to be the best of both series, but overall I enjoyed Diebuster much more than the first one.

It seems the pose with the crossed hands is what predominantly stands out but the whole thing with ripping of the shirt to get the core was even more badass, both times. So good.

Welp, another name for the list...

- I must say, I dislike the notion that animation is only about the movement. This gets thrown at people who dislike the Pain episode (tha best) but surely, to take this argument to the absurd, there's a reason why we're not watching exclusively (or like at all) shows with stickfigures animated on ones. That's because at the end of the day, each of us, though in varying degrees, has no interest in watching those and thus; does care about the quality or level of detail in our Philippine cartoons.

There's no need to be so reductive. There are certainly things besides motion that go into the visuals of animated works, such as colors, backgrounds, shot choices and layouts, etc. There are techniques which Japanese animation in particular has developed to compensate for lack of motion while keeping things visually interesting. But consider the word "animation". It comes from the Latin word "animatio", meaning "the act of giving life to" something initially lifeless. In other words, lifeless drawings are stitched together to create the illusion of life through the illusion that these drawings are moving. Animation may include things besides "pure motion" - even the stick figure example you give includes some of that (see the Animator Expo opening sequences), but motion lies at the heart of animation. A lot of anime fans seem to forget that.

phaze

Diebuster [END]

It seems the pose with the crossed hands is what predominantly stands out but the whole thing with ripping off the shirt to get the core was even more badass, both times. So good.

Yessss.

Welp, another name for the list...

The good taste list.
---

Q, if you'l still desire more mecha after Mazinger then let me put up Gargantia for your consideration. Forgot about it earlier.

Jex

- Surely, Windy Tales is a diametrically different work compared to Great Passage's more realistic take on character designs and well everything. None of the scenes presented here from GP even attempted to do anything so abstract and surreal for want of better word.
Exactly, which is why it was a just a reference point for the style of another animator. The point being that the sequence of Kishibe running isn't bad just because it looks different to normal.

Heck, isn't anime the medium you watch where that one scene looks weirdly different to the rest and you don't really know why until you learn a little something about how its made? That's one of the visual philosophies that underpins the whole industry, namely that unique visual styles are welcomed and that conformity isn't necessarily required.
- I must say, I dislike the notion that animation is only about the movement. This gets thrown at people who dislike the Pain episode (tha best) but surely, to take this argument to the absurd, there's a reason why we're not watching exclusively (or like at all) shows with stickfigures animated on ones. That's because at the end of the day, each of us, though in varying degrees, has no interest in watching those and thus; does care about the quality or level of detail in our Philippine cartoons.
Well, as you say, that it to take that argument to its (il)logical conclusion, which we don't really need to do because that's not an argument anyone is actually making.

Then again, to actual seriously consider your position, if someone wants to make a show with very simple line art featuring the visual style of say, bahi jd's web animations, then I'd be the first to watch it:

82d55a5a18f80c591c096wpsyu.gif

Puruzi

Banned
Diebuster [END]

AYYYYY

Diebuster>>>>>>>>>>Gun

Diebuster [END]

Another one to the Diebuster fold. <3

phaze

There's no need to be so reductive. There are certainly things besides motion that go into the visuals of animated works, such as colors, backgrounds, shot choices and layouts, etc. There are techniques which Japanese animation in particular has developed to compensate for lack of motion while keeping things visually interesting. But consider the word "animation". It comes from the Latin word "animatio", meaning "the act of giving life to" something initially lifeless. In other words, lifeless drawings are stitched together to create the illusion of life through the illusion that these drawings are moving. Animation may include things besides "pure motion" - even the stick figure example you give includes some of that (see the Animator Expo opening sequences), but motion lies at the heart of animation. A lot of anime fans seem to forget that.

I don't think I disagree with a single syllable in your post really.

Though I'm not sure if involving those pesky romans is really necessary.

Exactly, which is why it was a just a reference point for the style of another animator. The point being that the sequence of Kishibe running isn't bad just because it looks different to normal.

I feel like my command of english isn't doing me any favours here but the point I was making is that by virtue of being a much ground work, GP doesn't have any need to employ delibaretely any outlandish "off model" techniques which would only clash against the tone and the till now approach to animation it used.

With that said, to muddle my own line of argument, that cut doesn't strike me as anything that clashes badly with the rest. I'm just making the larger point. (bbadly?)

Heck, isn't anime the medium you watch where that one scene looks weirdly different to the rest and you don't really know why until you learn a little something about how its made? That's one of the visual philosophies that underpins the whole industry, namely that unique visual styles are welcomed and that conformity isn't necessarily required.

I feel like you're mistaking the viewpoint of your own and that of a small bunch of enthusiasts with that of a broader audience. In a world where where anime is synonymous with Ghibli, where episodes like NS 167, Yuasa's Dandy one, stir controversy, few people outside of sakugabooru faithful will cherish or delibetaly desire that lack of conformity.

Then again, to actual seriously consider your position, if someone wants to make a show with very simple line art featuring the visual style of say, bahi jd's web animations, then I'd be the first to watch it:

82d55a5a18f80c591c096wpsyu.gif

#NotStickFigures

Rektash

Animegaf someone hold me - I just watched Princess Kaguya.

What. A. Movie.

Probably my favorite Ghibli movie since Whisper of the Heart, maybe my favorite Ghibli movie period.

Visually stunning, the dancing under the cherry blossom tree scene was breathtaking, the running away dream sequence intense. My god, the colors!

What a hauntingly beautiful, well written and deeply moving film. Takahatas direction is, despite some minor grievances, impeccable in this. He certainly did an amazing job of translating the poetic beauty of the story into animation.

I am pretty sure this is the movie I will remember Takahata for.

Phew. Now I need to go out to take a breath of fresh air to settle down
and watch the moon. :(

Funi is driving me up a wall with their new Roku app. Didn't properly load up my queue, lagged when loading the current list of shows, and had to go hunting for Saiki K in their all titles catalogue just to watch this weeks episode. Ugh.

Taruranto

Erin: Game of Thrones #42

faSvFLE.jpg

Also I don't get it, how did these women give birth until now?
Wait, don't tell me, Damyan kinda looks like Cercei too...

This episode was quite bbbeautiful, but it was also "fuckwit throws a tantrum for 20 minutes". Looks the storyline is going in dark
incest
places.

Animegaf someone hold me - I just watched Princess Kaguya.

What. A. Movie.

Probably my favorite Ghibli movie since Whisper of the Heart, maybe my favorite Ghibli movie period.

Visually stunning, the dancing under the cherry blossom tree scene was breathtaking, the running away dream sequence intense. My god, the colors!

What a hauntingly beautiful, well written and deeply moving film. Takahatas direction is, despite some minor grievances, impeccable in this. He certainly did an amazing job of translating the poetic beauty of the story into animation.

I am pretty sure this is the movie I will remember Takahata for.

Phew. Now I need to go out to take a breath of fresh air to settle down
and watch the moon. :(

When I first watched it, I thought that it might be my favorite movie of all time. A year on, and I haven't really been convinced otherwise yet. It was such a beautiful movie, and the perfect showcase of animation as a medium. Just so many absolutely gorgeous sequences of animation, combined with a perfect art style.

Cornbread78

The Count of Monte Cristo ep.19-20
Damn, both upsetting and settling scenes in this sequence of events. Happy gor Eugenia to get
away from golden boy, that sounds like he could be her brother? WTF. He really raped his own sister? Disturbing to saw the least. Then Albert lets her go away to chase her dream; so nice..
looks like the nightmare isn't over for Daglers just yet though..

Theonik

Diebuster [END]

*spoiler video do not see if you haven't seen both shows* Someone made a good side-by-side sync of the two endings

If I wanted to see sterile, formulaic, lifeless but smooth character animation I'd watch a Hayo Miyazaki movie.
Cagliostro though.

Sound Euphonium S2 5

Now this is more of what I want from Sound Euphonium: music-making. The competition performance was incredibly impressive, for all the reasons others have gone on at length about.

One thing I do want to comment on is the approach KyoAni takes here and elsewhere towards depicting reality. Recently when I was rehearsing with a tuba player and observing his tuba close-up, I noticed all the scratches and dents on it, signs of use that develop over time on any instrument that's used every day. In Sound Euphonium, KyoAni has ironed out all those imperfections. They have observed real-life instruments, observed how musicians use real-life instruments, and mimicked much of that in their animation. But they only take the beautiful out of their observations of reality and leave behind the less than beautiful. All the instruments that the Kitauji band use look brand new, pristine, revealing no defects even on the closest inspection, which you wouldn't find even in a school much richer than Kitauji seems to be. Sometimes I see KyoAni's visual approach in works such as this or Hyouka described as photorealism, but that isn't really accurate. It's more like impressionism. (This is especially appropriate to Sound Euphonium, which often uses heavy depth of field effects to soften and blur the image.) With the performance in this episode, KyoAni was not seeking to reproduce what you would see if you filmed an actual concert band, but rather what it feels like to be performing in a large ensemble; the heat of the stage, the haze of inspiration, the collective energy and passion invested by the performers. You can see this as well in the depiction of the music on the music stands, which when focused upon are covered in photos and scribbled writing such that the notes underneath become illegible. This would obviously make said music impossible to use for any musician in reality, but here the show is looking to visually depict the shared experiences and memories that make up the joy these people feel upon playing in band. Again, the emotional impression an experience makes is prioritized over a strictly accurate representation of reality.

So while I certainly appreciate the research KyoAni has made into proper fingerings and other performance habits, which Thoraxes has elaborately cataloged in his impressions, it's important to remember that realism per se is not what they're striving for.

duckroll

I feel like you're mistaking the viewpoint of your own and that of a small bunch of enthusiasts with that of a broader audience. In a world where where anime is synonymous with Ghibli, where episodes like NS 167, Yuasa's Dandy one, stir controversy, few people outside of sakugabooru faithful will cherish or delibetaly desire that lack of conformity.

I don't see how this is relevant at all. I mean it would be like having a discussion about Terrence Malick films or Wong Kar Wai films, and then trying to argue your point by saying that outside of "film buffs" or "cinephiles", most people find the movies boring. Like, okay so? Who cares? Controversy in art is good anyway, it sparks debate and makes people think and consider things they didn't previously before. It's not even about conformity, it's about looking outside a comfort zone and knowing what other things are out there.

Thud

Funi is driving me up a wall with their new Roku app. Didn't properly load up my queue, lagged when loading the current list of shows, and had to go hunting for Saiki K in their all titles catalogue just to watch this weeks episode. Ugh.

Amazing episode tho.

Kaidou in the museum :p

Fune Wo Amu 8

Oh yes.
The massive time skip
before the episode even hits the double digits. An anime staple.

And my favorite
grandma is now dead
At least my ship. At least my ship.

No but what the fuck lmao. Did the source material also pull off this move or are they short on episodes?

cj_iwakura

Danganronpa 3: Despair 11

About what I expected, echoing the sentiments from the OT: Juzu was great, Chisa got put through hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom