• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

It is worth a watch, but half of it is original content that's going to be made completely irrelevant since it's going to start back as if that original second half never happened. But you should watch it, it's fun.
watch it

Also the arc season 2 is going to cover is really really good.

Don't expect Beethoven, but it is a fun supernatural school shounen show. S1 kept me entertained throughout.

So I should get it all done if I watch 1 a day for the rest of the month and be ready to take on S2 hmm.. Sounds like a mini "Let's Watch" lol.

Anyone else planning on doing the same?

Narag

So I should get it all done if I watch 1 a day for the rest of the month and be ready to take on S2 hmm.. Sounds like a mini "Let's Watch" lol.

Anyone else planning on doing the same?

If you watch S1, be sure to watch the movie.

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 36

Say what you want about this episode but next week's preview text brought me mad hype, especially as it happens after such omnious music and Kira's seemingly
unbeatable position.

Diamond is Unbreakable indeed.

Actually, this happened to me too. That specific title felt like a portent of the turning tide.

Cornbread78

If you watch S1, be sure to watch the movie.

Is the movie a summary of S1, or new/different content?

How do you guys post screenshots of anime on here? Do you use a special program on PC? Does the share button work with PS4?

I'm a sad soul that cannabolizes Google images/Tumblr and Imgur for my images.... Just rehost and go.

The only challenge to this is making sure you rehost it, so it's not hot-linked, and it doesn't have any third party water marks/logos on the images. Well, that and nobody really captures the exact moments I would capture for some reason....

How do you guys post screenshots of anime on here? Do you use a special program on PC? Does the share button work with PS4?
I tap print screen, go to paint, paste, save and find a place to upload it. Either imgur or pinterest and copy image address. Is it the best way? Who knows but it works.

Share button on PS4 works assuming you use twitter, then one could just copy that link. However, if you pause the anime and share you then end up getting the Interface with the image.
Cyf83__W8AEKDwp.jpg

Surprised people use Print Screen and then their OS default paint program, considering in windows the Snipping Tool is a default tool for that purpose. Additionally Chrome has its own screenshot capture tool [on chrome OS].

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
unless you need to draw facial hair on anime girls you probably don't want to use ms paint. low overhead image editors like irfanview are better.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What is the appeal to Garo? so much praise and discussion surrounding it has my curiosity.
It's a dark fantasy action adventure story with an emphasis on character development and interaction. The main story itself isn't wholly unique but well done and it has an an absense of the usual anime tropes and usual unlikely happy endings (almost everyone in the story lives a shitty life and most events don't end particularly well but they learn mature and move on which is refreshing for these sorts of action anime).

Also sex is treated as a rather casual thing with reasonably realistic representation of it in comparison to usual anime fair with a relative absense of the usual male gaze.

blurr

It's a dark fantasy action adventure story with an emphasis on character development and interaction. The main story itself isn't wholly unique but well done and it has an an absense of the usual anime tropes and usual unlikely happy endings (almost everyone in the story lives a shitty life and most events don't end particularly well but they learn mature and move on which is refreshing for these sorts of action anime).

Also sex is treated as a rather casual thing with reasonably realistic representation of it in comparison to usual anime fair with a relative absense of the usual male gaze.

Very interesting, probably add it to my list then.

Line_HTX

Is Blue Exorcist worth a binge watch to jump into S2?

It's a lot of fun, but be aware that it has a gecko ending that's obviously going to get retconned. Doesn't stop the filler from being hilarious though.

Toonami thread had a ton of fun with that show overall despite the fillers.

Clov

Some more news from Discotek; their BD of School Days has been delayed to February. In return, they bumped up their BD release of Magic Knight Rayearth to the end of January. About time; they've been working on that one for a while!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Your Lie In April 1-4

Welp, this is starting off pretty god. Too bad the very first thing I ever heard about this was how it ended lol

It's doing a lot of things I generally like in romances and stories in general. I like how the initial interest is in his sports friend, not him. I like the overabundance of symbolism (especially that of the black cat). And I also happen to like classical music, so the sound track is A+ for me by default. The real question is if a tree falls and no one is around to hear it, will I be ugly sobbing at the end of this?

Cornbread78

Your Lie In April 1-4

Welp, this is starting off pretty god. Too bad the very first thing I ever heard about this was how it ended lol

It's doing a lot of things I generally like in romances and stories in general. I like how the initial interest is in his sports friend, not him. I like the overabundance of symbolism (especially that of the black cat). And I also happen to like classical music, so the sound track is A+ for me by default. The real question is if a tree falls and no one is around to hear it, will I be ugly sobbing at the end of this?

just watch it for the ride. You already know the ending, but it's the journey there that makes it special and yeah.... just watch; it's beautiful

Y'all literally wrong about The Great Passage ep 8.

Here's some facts:

80x4VLW.gif

Lemme hand you this, in case you decide to dismount.

TOOL_LadSca_4COL_twin-step-ladders

- Posting random stills isn't relevant, especially when you're discussing animation.

I gave context when I posted it the first time around, specifically mentioning that the shot looked like that for an extended period of time, not a mere frame of it.

For you, let's see it in it's fully animated glory then.

dinner party

Gorgeous, I suppose.

- Neither is saying something if "off-model" - that's the same avenue of argument that people make when they want to whine about the Pain fight in Naruto. It's not what we're talking about.

Off-model means a specific thing that has relevance and whereas it has no place in that Naruto fight, I fail to see how it would be inappropriate to use it here for instance:

introduction

Kishibe's general movement is nicely animated albeit a bit choppy. Her face, however, looks bad for the majority of it.

introduction cont.
Here's a cropped version focusing on her Kishibe's head. It being cropped, not zoomed in, means it's easily noticeable for the audience.

- We're talking about animation, which means we're talking about how things move, how that's conveyed to the audience, and what feelings or impressions that movement illicit within you.

Yes, and when judging an episode's animation we're taking the whole episode into consideration. That means that I'll also include the impressions a scene like this has on me.

introduction cont.

That kind of shot directly pulls me out of my immersion and enjoyment because it makes me actively think about how bad it looks. Something I'd obviously want to avoid at all costs which is why cases like that sour my experience so much. No amount of other great animation featured in an episode will retroactively prevent that.

Episode 8 frequently falls below a bar of quality that previous episodes didn't except in very rare instances. So even when those don't feature as many 'sakuga' shots they heavily benefit from keeping up a higher minimum quality.

I'll post some more impressions of mine on a bunch of shots. Larger focus is on the negative ones as you and Hosanna pointed out some of the good stuff.

dinner

Cat's looking quite good, unlike Kaguya's face.

dinner party cont.

Kishibe is looking good in this shot whereas Kaguya gets the short stick once again.

dinner party cont.

Majime's slightly deformed hand aside, the first shot has very nice movement for Kishibe and it's fluid to boot. Second shot could be as great if the legs' proportions weren't out of whack.

It's noticeable even without looking at single frames, which is frowned upon for that kind of animation. I'll still post them to show just how damn thin those lower legs are before someone's going to tell me there's no way to notice it in motion.

Kishibe crying

Kishibe's inability to hold back her tears is great.

Kishibe crying cont.

Nishioka's approach looks janky.

parting

What's wrong with your face?

parting cont.

Good, but could be even better. The motion is a bit janky, the facial outlines a tad iffy and because I have a thing for anime noses, it should've been rounder at the point when he was almost facing straight forward. I'll admit to nitpicking in this, though.

parting cont.

Perfection. Authentic hand positioning and nicely detailed and very fluid animation for the finger movement. This sort of shot cannot really convey any emotions but is wonderful to look at anyways.

end

One last disappointing mid distance shot, mostly devoid of animation. Offers an ugly face instead.

---

With extra polish I'd praise the whole episode for its animation, too. I'm certainly interested in BD changes. As it aired, however, nope.

blurr

Girlish Number 07

I don't understand Sonoko's predicament exactly, she seems to have some complex feelings about her mother.

I'm not sure what Chitose's role is supposed to be in the arching story - a narcissist but little beyond that. It's nonetheless fun to see her be self-indulgent, her voice over work compliments that aspect. There is however enough focus growing on the rest of the cast but I just can't picture the structure or nature of its drama yet. It is clear that each of them are facing distinct problems different from each other.

dinner party cont.

Majime's slightly deformed hand aside, the first shot has very nice movement for Kishibe and it's fluid to boot. Second shot could be as great if the legs' proportions weren't out of whack.

It's noticeable even without looking at single frames, which is frowned upon for that kind of animation. I'll still post them to show just how damn thin those lower legs are before someone's going to tell me there's no way to notice it in motion.

I think we fundamentally disagree on what the ideal of animation should be. Someone earlier in the thread referenced Shinya Ohira and Windy Tales in reference to this cut, and that is an apt comparison. I love Ohira's work, such as this Windy Tales scene or this scene from a Tales of the Abyss cutscene, and he has an extremely loose, freeform approach to character designs, not bothering to keep body proportions consistent even within his own animation, let alone consistent with other animation within the same work. The individualistic expressiveness seen here is something I highly admire, and it's also seen in this cut from The Great Passage. So I totally embrace Kishibe's legs not being perfectly proportioned there! The ability of individual animators to express themselves differently without needing to perfectly conform themselves to the work of everyone else in commercial anime is one of the reasons I am particularly fascinated by and take pleasure in Japanese animation.

In general, I am quite happy to take rough but expressive motion over a series of perfectly crafted still images. But then, I'm someone who finds a bit of human imperfection in art appealing.

Just one more thing:

parting cont.

Perfection. Authentic hand positioning and nicely detailed and very fluid animation for the finger movement. This sort of shot cannot really convey any emotions but is wonderful to look at anyways.

This kind of shot can and does convey emotions. Specifically here, it illustrates Nishioka's fluency with smartphone technology and his poise and adaptability as a person, as well as his ability to know exactly what he wants to say and say it. This feeds into the contrast between him and Majime, who is easily flustered, uncomfortable with technology, and struggles to find the appropriate words to say to others.

Cornbread78

Blue Exorcist ep1-2
GvVVEjp.jpg

Well $hit, that was an interesting lunch watch. This isn't that bad so far and the dub is pretty good as well. I can't quite put my figure on the lead exorcists voice, (the weird guy that looks like a joker) but ii is very familiar. I'm down to watch this.

Line_HTX

"I'm gonna put a STOP to this. I'll destroy all of the Titans... Every last one of them!"

"I'M GONNA BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF SATAN!"

duckroll

Why eww? Marvel films have a lot of problems in terms of following a formula and being really safe, but the one thing they do consistently is in the pre-production pipeline for action pre vis. Their storyboard team and action set piece concept artists are great and results in pretty fun stuff as long as the individual directors don't completely suck in their job of executing the scenes.

I think we fundamentally disagree on what the ideal of animation should be. Someone earlier in the thread referenced Shinya Ohira and Windy Tales in reference to this cut, and that is an apt comparison. I love Ohira's work, such as this Windy Tales scene or this scene from a Tales of the Abyss cutscene, and he has an extremely loose, freeform approach to character designs, not bothering to keep body proportions consistent even within his own animation, let alone consistent with other animation within the same work. The individualistic expressiveness seen here is something I highly admire, and it's also seen in this cut from The Great Passage. So I totally embrace Kishibe's legs not being perfectly proportioned there! The ability of individual animators to express themselves differently without needing to perfectly conform themselves to the work of everyone else in commercial anime is one of the reasons I am particularly fascinated by and take pleasure in Japanese animation.

In general, I am quite happy to take rough but expressive motion over a series of perfectly crafted still images. But then, I'm someone who finds a bit of human imperfection in art appealing.

Just one more thing:

This kind of shot can and does convey emotions. Specifically here, it illustrates Nishioka's fluency with smartphone technology and his poise and adaptability as a person, as well as his ability to know exactly what he wants to say and say it. This feeds into the contrast between him and Majime, who is easily flustered, uncomfortable with technology, and struggles to find the appropriate words to say to others.

I'm not saying no 'freeform' animation works for me. It's just that part of my impression in that shot was "huh, that looked a bit strange", meaning that alongside what it tried to express, it unfortunately also elicited that reaction from me. If it didn't, disregarding how it was animated, then I wouldn't complain.

It's not like I was, say, complaining about Mob Psycho 100. Episode 8 was shock-full of that stuff and I laughed the animation.

As for the second point. Yes, obviously in context and indirectly that sort of shot can convey emotions. But by itself, a hand swiftly typing on a smartphone won't convey as much as seeing a characters full body animation or face.

phaze

Awesome.

Megumi is love.

Megumi is irrelevance.

I think we fundamentally disagree on what the ideal of animation should be. Someone earlier in the thread referenced Shinya Ohira and Windy Tales in reference to this cut, and that is an apt comparison. I love Ohira's work, such as this Windy Tales scene or this scene from a Tales of the Abyss cutscene

- Surely, Windy Tales is a diametrically different work compared to Great Passage's more realistic take on character designs and well everything. None of the scenes presented here from GP even attempted to do anything so abstract and surreal for want of better word.

- I must say, I dislike the notion that animation is only about the movement. This gets thrown at people who dislike the Pain episode (tha best) but surely, to take this argument to the absurd, there's a reason why we're not watching exclusively (or like at all) shows with stickfigures animated on ones. That's because at the end of the day, each of us, though in varying degrees, has no interest in watching those and thus; does care about the quality or level of detail in our Philippine cartoons.

- With all that said, after cursory look, I don't see much wrong in these excerpts of GP. The level of detail in these longshots will never be all that and the offmodel frames don't look completely awful. You're too pure for your own good NDMGG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom