• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paltheos

Will Attack on Titan S2 save anime?

This is assuming the people even remember it. I was super hype on AoT when it was airing (even if it did become allot less interesting when
the show didn't actually kill the protagonist in like episode 5 or whatever).
I've had a while to cool down on it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sound! Euphonium 2 Episode 10:

Fuck this raging dumpster fire of a season and all of its forced and artificial drama that has come packaged with it.

Qurupeke

Euphonium S2 10
hLrz5dO.jpg
Everyone thought that Asuka would be the endgame but it turns out Reina is the true final boss.

I loved the scene on the train but the best scene of the episode was definitely what followed with Asuka. Excellent voice acting once again, Kumiko is the best. Glad we got a happy ending on that.

Sterok

Girlish Number 9

Chitose learning the hard way that the trash will eventually get dumped if they don't produce results. Kuzu is showing shades of that too. New girl may have a bad role model, but she has a decent attitude at least. Poor Gojo is trying to help his sister, but there's only so much he can do to help the helpless.

blurr

Girlish Number 08

I love some good family bickering projecting low tolerance levels and slipping dialects. There's a sense of familial spirit to that entire sequence which is something Momoka grasped.

Momoka has a peculiar issue with her mother or at least that's something I'm finding hard to buy but I can't say it's entirely unbelieveable. Does she not want to be left on her own in a world of competition with no guide or support? that's the closest I can come to her predicament. I'd generally imagine someone in her position would appreciate the independence but that's just me.

Kazuha on the other hand is getting to do what she loves but feels stricken by her parent's comments or advice. She made some interesting commentary on how despite her love for the work, she is disappointed on the overall quality of it to a point that she disrespects it openly. Her mother clarified that despite being a job that they like, they won't always have fun. I think the statement that caught my attention was her father's comment, he asks her not to disrespect the work she was involved in as it says much about her as much as the work itself. This irked Kazuha but there's no doubt he made a valid point and it's a perspective I hadn't given much thought for.

Both Momoka and Kazuha help each other in realizing that their preferences and realities are on either extremes. I was initially under the impression that the problems they face or their facade covers something far more sinister. It is but a lot less scary than I imagined.

I'm still mostly mixed about the show but I'm inclined to say this isn't entirely a waste of my time at all.

MSMrRound

Sound! Euphonium S2 episode 10

Everyone thought that Asuka would be the endgame but it turns out Reina is the true final boss.

basically.

A milder episode in a sense, but damn, looks like the storm isn't over quite yet.

Great voice acting, and wow, Asuka was really kind of going HAM at Kumiko at the start.

Goddam KyoAni at the subtle way that they animated Asuka's legs shaking after it was resolved. Turns out that she already had a plan of her own eh, As expected of Asuka, the special one.

Coming up next: Reina gets pissed off at Kumiko for not telling her and ruining the concert single-handedly.

phaze

Burn! Euphonium 10
022838pist7.jpg
0228412sslf.jpg
02284266sgi.jpg
022843fqso5.jpg

Gatdamn.

All praise Asuka.

Thought it was a really nice episode where a lot of things finally came together. Oumae mustering some determination and initiative for once, getting called out for her behaviour, the solution to the Asuka conundrum and how Kumiko's sister sideplot tied into all that.

Cornbread78

Blue Exorcist ep. 3
woKQl6R.jpg

Boo; got ya big bro, lol.

Yeah, some crazy action sequences in here and you knew
lil' bro had to know what the heck was going on and that big bro was a demon
. Interesting set up moving forward, so we'll see what happens as things start cranking up.... Senpai.

phaze

Ishidate seems to be confirmed for Violet Evergarden.*

Ajin 09

This was pretty great actually. Lots of nice action and Satou continuously finding new ways of being the madman. His long awaited reunion with Nagai (like 15 episodes I think) didn't disappoint but at the same time it brought to fore one of mine gripes about how the story wen. Namely that Nagai's motivation for going after Satou seems extremely flimsy. It wasn't him who made your life into hell it was truck-sama alternatively your own ass that didn't look around when crossing the street. Blaming Satou or expecting his own situation to improve if he were apprehended is just really silly especially coming from character like Kei.

TO BE HERO 10

So the alien king is just mad he got cucked

Thats literally the reason

Eupho s2 10

When you think Asuka is the final boss but Reina shows up as the ancient evil out of nowhere in the finale

Didn't the AoT manga turn to shit shortly after the anime was over?

They still have two arcs left before they hit the extremely long and drawn out coup arc

As of right now the manga is pretty good

Yuri on Ice 10

This episode was nice, seeing all the participants before the competition was really cool. Loved the Yurio and reunion part a bunch. The drunk thing was very funny.
e52e0d97a1e0e458daa9c261b6477a80.jpg

Also that ENDING! All of the fan service! I mean damn! We saw muscles!

Yuri on Ice 10

A needed episode, as the last few have all felt very similar - but I still don't care about the characters that much.

The ED was really good tho

Yuri!!! On ICE Episode 10 – Gotta Supercharge It!! Pre-Grand Prix Final Special!

Yurio and Kazakhstan pairing greater than Yuri and Victor. I loved seeing Yurio finally smiling and having a good time, if only more could have been spent there instead of with a playful ring...though would we really see an animated marriage if Yuri wins. Please do. Sad they werent in the same bed in the hotel FREE! style.

CzGdOAnXUAAPu3K.jpg:small
CzGd-WHXcAADDr9.jpg:small

Im glad my faves keep getting time. Maybe they will even comment after the results are tallied. Minami too but he seemed to have to share it with those other randoms :(

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 10:

No wonder my Twitter timeline has been going apeshit over this episode. Also, the beak from the endless skating routines are welcome indeed.

Jex

[Yuri!!! on Ice] - 10

To avoid becoming a completely negative a cynical old codger, let me start my review with some positive points:

- This episode had some really nice background art!
- The rest of the art for this episode looked pretty decent as well, probably helped by the fact that this wasn't back-to-back-to-back skating scenes.
- Speaking of which, we finally get an episode which is focused on something other than endless skating routines. Instead we actually get a chance to spend some time with the characters. This is a good change!

See, I can be slightly positive sometimes. As for my, er, negatives:

- About 5 minutes of this episode was essentially wasted time. Most of that time was dedicated to a voice over narration re-introducing us to characters we already know and there was also a few brief flashbacks. When we're 1 episode away from the finale of the series this is both pointless and bizarre.
- Speaking of narration, this episode really abuses narration on several occasions. It seems like the writer(s) realised that they need to get several of the characters to a particular emotional place in the story by the finale but they didn't know how to get there. The solution? Narration! It seems like every other seem used narration to move the story along in very clunky, hand-waivey kind of way. Not only is this clunky but it also boring because instead of allowing the audience to observe what's happening and draw our own conclusions we are told how everyone is feeling and thinking at all times.
- I would have really preferred it if the last several of the episodes could have done a better job splitting their time between actually developing the characters and showing us cool skating rather than almost exclusively focusing on skating and a bunch of side characters who, by the way, mostly get about 1 second of screentime in this episode.

Tactics18

So I'm kind of rediscovering anime at the moment, just finished binging all of Hunter x Hunter in like 2 weeks and I absolutely loved it. I even started reading the manga from where the anime finished.

Not sure if this thread is the best place to ask this, but could I get some recommendations for anime in that vain/style? Or just really good ones. Doesn't have to be ongoing.

The only other ones I watch/ed recently are DB:S and OPM.

From what I've seen Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are also well regarded.

Not interested in anything like One Piece or Naruto.
Always wanted to watch Berserk but I'm not sure which version of it I should watch.

Cornbread78

So I'm kind of rediscovering anime at the moment, just finished binging all of Hunter x Hunter in like 2 weeks and I absolutely loved it. I even started reading the manga from where the anime finished.

Not sure if this thread is the best place to ask this, but could I get some recommendations for anime in that vain/style? Or just really good ones. Doesn't have to be ongoing.

From what I've seen Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are also well regarded.

Not interested in One Piece or Naruto.
Always wanted to watch Berserk but I'm not sure which version of it I should watch.

Welcome!

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood ftw!

Since you seem to like shonen stuff

I highly recommend My Hero Academia! It's a super colorful shonen about superheroes. It has great visuals, an amazing cast of main and supporting characters, AMAZING fight scenes and a fantastic ost.

I also Recommend Seven Deadly Sins which is another fantastic shonen show.

FMA is also a good choice.

Qurupeke

Yeah, the two shows you mention are pretty good for start. Also, watch Fate/Zero and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Both have insane action and very good characters. F/Z is more serious than most of the shows you mention but I'm sure you'll like it.

Jex

I mean, this is definitely the place to ask, but based on the limited selection of anime you've watched it's hard for me to recommend anything outside of that genre. So, if we're talking about enjoyable action works:

- You should watch Sword of the Stranger because it's only a movie and therefore easily digested. It's also one of the best action films in any medium.
- FMA: Brotherhood is certainly a decent, if not exceptional, series. I doubt that you could go wrong by picking this to watch.
- JoJo's Bizzare Adventure is very good and also very long (although considering you've just watched Hunter x Hunter I doubt that would phase you). The only rider I will add to this recommendation is that the first arc, Phantom Blood isn't very interesting but it's only 9 episodes long, so it's quickly dispensed with.
- For Berserk I'm sure people will recommend that you watch the movie trilogy. I don't like the CG they use in those movies and neither do I enjoy the edits they made to the story to squeeze it into the movie form. I prefer the original Berserk TV series myself, but that work is also riddled with some fairly rough animation. I don't think either adaptation is 'ideal'.

Ascheroth

Totally the right place!

Can't go wrong with Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and JoJo (though the first part is definitely the weakest).

Other recommendations from me would be:

- For action and mech stuff:
Mob Psycho 100
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Majin Bone
Fate/Zero
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Danball Senki
Shin Mazinger Z
Gundam Build Fighters
Kuromukuro

- Other:
Haikyuu!!
Kiznaiver
Mushishi
Silver Spoon
Death Parade
Shiki
Steins;Gate

And Gintama (if you're down for something loooooong)

Code:Breaker
God Eater
Guilty Crown
BLast of Tempest

Other great anime

M3
K
Hero Bank
Majin Bone

BluWacky

[Yuri!!! on Ice] - 10
- About 5 minutes of this episode was essentially wasted time. Most of that time was dedicated to a voice over narration re-introducing us to characters we already know and there was also a few brief flashbacks. When we're 1 episode away from the finale of the series this is both pointless and bizarre.

Haven't we got two eps left? Short Programme and Individual Skate? Perhaps not what you meant.

- Speaking of narration, this episode really abuses narration on several occasions. It seems like the writer(s) realised that they need to get several of the characters to a particular emotional place in the story by the finale but they didn't know how to get there. The solution? Narration! It seems like every other seem used narration to move the story along in very clunky, hand-waivey kind of way. Not only is this clunky but it also boring because instead of allowing the audience to observe what's happening and draw our own conclusions we are told how everyone is feeling and thinking at all times.

The worst was the narration about Yuri losing those nuts. Seriously, WE CAN SEE FROM THE VISUALS THAT THIS IS WHAT HAS HAPPENED. Most of the narration added little to the events on screen.

- I would have really preferred it if the last several of the episodes could have done a better job splitting their time between actually developing the characters and showing us cool skating rather than almost exclusively focusing on skating and a bunch of side characters who, by the way, mostly get about 1 second of screentime in this episode.

I was kind of okay with the side character stuff this time round. I watched episode 9 immediately beforehand which I felt was devoid of any really meaningful content; at least the Otobek/Yurio subplot in 10 was vaguely plausible (if half baked).

While I thought that pretty much everything that focused on Viktor alone in this episode was worth it (it gave a bit more of a sense of his character as an actual person, rather than a no-frills bishounen), I was rather disappointed with the handling of Yuri himself this time round. I have no interest in the ring sequence (it seemed pretty much devoid of meaningful emotion, unlike the other "squee-worthy" scenes in the show thus far, and highly artifical in tone), and I think the explanation of Viktor's interest in Yuri dating back to some ridiculous drunken party scenario that seems to contradict everything we saw in the first episode (with Yuri being barely able to speak to Viktor post-contest and leaving the venue).

I shall end up rather disappointed with the show as a whole, I think, which is a pity.

Thud

Not interested in anything like One Piece or Naruto.

Why no One Piece? :(

For Berserk watch the '97 version, then go read the manga. If you want to see more the CGI movies should be fine. In any case do not watch Berserk 2016. It's a severe clusterfuck.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
- FMA: Brotherhood is certainly a decent, if not exceptional, series. I doubt that you could go wrong by picking this to watch.
When you start to tip toe around the fact that Brotherhood is not a good show...

Taruranto

Yuri on Ice #10

So I suppose homophobia doesn't really exist in this universe

Except Mari.

Hit and miss episode, the first 5 minutes as someone said were a complete waste and Otabek arrives too late and with little screentime, so his interactions with Yurio come of as forced. As nice the proposal was, I kinda wish they had pushed things a bit more, the lack of a second kiss was lame. (Imply it if you want to save an explicit one for the final episode)

Victor's POV was sorely needed to humanize the character and bring him to the same level as Yuri. The ending sequences with the past skaters was nice. (lol Emil still stalking Micky and Yugi-oh joined Yuuri's family) It was an overall fun episode, but I can't help but dislike some things on a second look.

Also I thought Michele had made it? What's up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom