• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming even Sentai, who licenses anything, thinks it can't make any money on it so it just ends up in this grey area forever.

Are you kidding? Of course Sentai would license Hyouka. Hyouka has a dedicated Western fanbase, unlike a lot of the stuff Sentai puts out. When an anime doesn't get licensed these days, you have to look more at the Japanese licensor, Kadokawa in this case, who may be asking for too much money for this or may simply not be offering the license for whatever reason.

jonjonaug

"I'm gonna go to bed early tonight!" *skims through every episode of yuri on ice, rewatches episode 10 in full twice* "wait fuck"

Help me, this show is too good.

EDIT 1: It could stand to reuse less shots though. I noticed one shot of the audience used twice in the span of 10 seconds in episode 6 then reused again in episode 7.

EDIT 2: There are cool details though that slip my mind on first viewing but I pick up on a rewatch, like the commentator getting flustered by Yuri's smirk when he opens Eros in episode 6 and forgetting to commentate for a few seconds then stuttering a little when he starts.

EDIT 3: It's cool how Mickey is all "I can't believe my sister is crushing on Emil" but she's obviously going after Seung. He can't even focus his overprotective ire on the right person. For his part, Emil seems more into Mickey than Sala.

EDIT 4: That shot I mentioned above is used AGAIN three times in episode 9 lol.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Aww yeah I'm definitely getting these.

3CyND3k.jpg

YvudBiF.jpg

duckroll

Mob Psycho 100 - Episode 7

Wow this is just sad. Watching Teru reformed is nice. Seeing the gangs getting pumped up to fight Shiro T Poison was hilarious. But Ritsu... Ritsu... This isn't going to end well for anyone! Kamuro can go suck a horse dick though. :(

The scene with Reigen was really well done. Credit to the writing on the show, I think the kids really act and sound like kids, while Reigen is the one character in the cast who really behaves like an adult. It's interesting because I don't think the show is about "good" and "bad" so much as perspectives on life and society.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are you kidding? Of course Sentai would license Hyouka. Hyouka has a dedicated Western fanbase, unlike a lot of the stuff Sentai puts out. When an anime doesn't get licensed these days, you have to look more at the Japanese licensor, Kadokawa in this case, who may be asking for too much money for this or may simply not be offering the license for whatever reason.
Well, that's what I mean. It's not worth it for Sentai (who shoves out anything that Funimation/Crunchy won't pay for) to put it out, or to even license it for streaming, because they are asking for too much and don't expect many people to care about it.

I mean, I have no idea if people are cosplaying as Chitanda at AX or whatever, but of all of KyoAni's recent properties, even the non-yuri band anime seems to have more "appeal" than Hyouka.

Fall 2016 Rankings

Good

Nobunaga no Shinobi
Jojo
To be Hero
ClassicaLoid
Dragon Ball Super

Eh, it's alright
Tiger Mask W
Gundam IBO
Drifters
Keijo!!!!!!!!

Bad
Izetta
Days
Flip Flappers

The Stuff I need to catch back up with, but probably won't.
Yuri on Ice
3-gatsu no Lion

Wow this is just sad. Watching Teru reformed is nice. Seeing the gangs getting pumped up to fight Shiro T Poison was hilarious. But Ritsu... Ritsu... This isn't going to end well for anyone! Kamuro can go suck a horse dick though. :(

The scene with Reigen was really well done. Credit to the writing on the show, I think the kids really act and sound like kids, while Reigen is the one character in the cast who really behaves like an adult. It's interesting because I don't think the show is about "good" and "bad" so much as perspectives on life and society.

Next episode is incredible.

Shergal

I think the psychology behind feeling important, wanting to be noticed, and wanting to make something of yourself is what defines this show more than the action and supernatural stuff. I really dig the dialogue and the internal monologues.

Glad the anime managed to convey the essence of the story so well to someone who didn't read the source. Now I feel like a cynic purist for thinking only the glorious ONE panels and doodles did the ideas justice (the manga is mega good though, seriously).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

You're in for a treat. You haven't seen the best of Reigen yet.

Qurupeke

I'm really excited for today's JoJo. It's been a while, DiU had a lot of highs and lows, but we're steadily progressing to the finale and the show couldn't be any better now.

Pokemon Sun & Moon 06

5DOsu9B.jpg

I'll devour your fucking soul you stupid cat

Meowth seems to be the only one who realizes Mimikyu is a fucking walking nightmare that is only with Team Rocket to fulfill his deep hatred of Pikachu because they don't stop running into him. Not only that but he refuses to take part in Team Rocket's gags and funny faces.

One would do well to fear the eldritch abomination known as Mimikyu.

Thoraxes

Would you guys really want to buy Funimation/Sentai quality Hyouka BDs though?

A show that looks as good as Hyouka deserves better than that. I wasn't the biggest fan of the show, but like, it deserves better than that if not for the visual strengths alone.

Quasar

A show that looks as good as Hyouka deserves better than that. I wasn't the biggest fan of the show, but like, it deserves better than that if not for the visual strengths alone.

I can't say I have much experience with Sentai BluRays, aside from films and those I own look perfectly fine (Garden of Words being an example). As for Funimation, my gripes tent to be about translations and subs which is why I'm wary of them. Of course would Funimation do anything without a dub these days?

Personally I'd be happy with just seeing it on streaming just to allow more people to see it. Not unlike Tamayura. Whilst its a shit SD release, I'm glad more people get to see it.

duckroll

Glad the anime managed to convey the essence of the story so well to someone who didn't read the source. Now I feel like a cynic purist for thinking only the glorious ONE panels and doodles did the ideas justice (the manga is mega good though, seriously).

To be fair, the anime does seem to follow ONE's style as opposed to OPM following Murata's style, so there's probably something to be said about how there is a sort of purity and honesty in the sketchy art style in conveying the themes of the story.

Shergal

To be fair, the anime does seem to follow ONE's style as opposed to OPM following Murata's style, so there's probably something to be said about how there is a sort of purity and honesty in the sketchy art style in conveying the themes of the story.

That's part of the reason it bothered me that I couldn't derive the same feeling when I watched the show. Like, I see that it's doing so many things well but I can't get into it, fuck me lol

But I really liked the addition of the oil painting sequences and some of the visualizations they came up with to expand some panels and scenes. They really thought about adapting rather than transferring the material, and it seems to have worked very well for most!

jgminto

Pokemon Sun & Moon 06

Meowth seems to be the only one who realizes Mimikyu is a fucking walking nightmare that is only with Team Rocket to fulfill his deep hatred of Pikachu because they don't stop running into him. Not only that but he refuses to take part in Team Rocket's gags and funny faces.

One would do well to fear the eldritch abomination known as Mimikyu.
Totem Mimikyu's room in the game is some legit creepy shit.

Man, always thought idols and shit were dumb but I end up watching some AKBingo because I have been so sick lately and need a decent laugh(not to mention like the first 50 episodes translated on YouTube unlike other Japanese variety shows I can't find subbed anywhere)
So anyway like 5 episodes in I already have a favorite and by 20 im a legitimate fan of her.
Still think its weird but I guess I can understand it a lot better now.

also turns out we have the same birthday and year, kinda funny

Sölf

Keijo!!!!!!!! 10
Still the best show out there. Holy shit at the Gate of Bootylon. xD
And those fucking Drill Boobs. This fucking show, man.

I want Funimation to pick it up because it has the most chance of receiving a dub with them. Sentai is so weird with how they decide to dub stuff. I am still salty they got Haikyu and killed its chance of it ever having a dub.

Also yea Zulu made a good point, I am not ready to pay 300$+ for Hyouka, for a minor visual improvement I probably won't notice.

zulux21

yes absolutely. much rather them instead of Nis/aniplex/ponycan.

paying 2-5 times as much for a very minor improvement in quality is not what I enjoy doing :p

I still don't own any aniplex stuff that I haven't imported from EU, I likely won't own any ponycan stuff (their shows in general don't hold a lot of interest to me), and the only Nis stuff I own is the stuff they have dubbed or put on really cheap.
I'm quite fine with owning hundreds of anime series and not supporting their stupid high prices :/

really though I am thinking Pied Pipper might have a decent shot of picking up Hyouka, so we will have to see there.

I want Funimation to pick it up because it has the most chance of receiving a dub with them. Sentai is so weird with how they decide to dub stuff. I am still salty they got Haikyu and killed its chance of it ever having a dub.

that as well, I care far more about dubs than i do about quality of video.
I only own a handful of sub only DVDs and I am not sure if I own any sub only blu ray.... maybe one. shows have to get down to basically $1 per episode for a series I like for me to even think about buying it sub only.

tuffy

Also yea Zulu made a good point, I am not ready to pay 300$+ for Hyouka, for a minor visual improvement I probably won't notice.
Sentai does actually re-release titles with dubs on rare occasions. Clannad was one such case. But sports anime haven't been huge sellers traditionally, so that may be too much to hope for in this case.

Sentai does actually re-release titles with dubs on rare occasions. Clannad was one such case. But sports anime haven't been huge sellers traditionally, so that may be too much to hope for in this case.
I don't know on how many streaming site Haikyu streams on, but I'm pretty sure it's one of their more popular title this season if we base ourselves on stuff like the popular shows section on crunchyroll.

I still dream of the possibility of it happening.

duckroll

Mob Psycho 100 - Episode 9

This was probably the first (and only) episode in the series which felt like it didn't need to be an entire episode, and made me wonder where the rest of the series was going. Instead of a MP100 episode, this felt like they stepped into a One Punch Man story arc. Lots of action and weird evil organization stuff but not particularly interesting to me. The background animation in the forest fight was rad as hell though.

Mob Psycho 100 - Episode 10

This on the other hand, while I should have all the same complaints as the previous episode but more so because it's yet ANOTHER episode of it, I.... can't complain about because Kobayashi storyboarded the hell out of the action, and each and every one of the fights was just so cool to watch. Also, I haven't seen Kameda Fire (TM) in a while, so that was a real treat. Still though, this feels like a OPM crossover story rather than what the series was previously building up to...

Mob Psycho 100 - Episode 11

Holy shit. Wow. All the complaints and issues I had with the previous two episodes writing-wise just completely evaporated here. Reigen is without a doubt one of the most interesting characters in a shounen action type show I've seen, maybe ever. His relationship with Mob could be such a standard predictable thing, played for laughs, but instead of just having it as that, the sublime amount of depth it has without ever needing to spell it out is really commendable.

Reigen's perspective on the world, his understanding of people, and his confidence in how he expresses himself is the perfect contrast to the childish attention seeking world in the series. But underneath all the showmanship and deceit, he has my respect for truly being a decent person who wants to in his own way make a difference and has probably the strongest moral values of anyone in the show. I can't believe I'm even saying this because my impression from the first episode was "lol what a dumb piece of shit, this scam thing is going to be a pain to watch."

Mob Psycho 100 - Episode 12 (End)

That's about as perfect an ending as I've seen. Been a while since BONES landed a total winner like this, but I guess this is what BBB would have felt like if the ending wasn't as messy as it was. How everything wraps up, how sincere the epilogue felt, and the feeling that all the characters had been through a journey of self-discovery and have come out of it stronger and better people. Damn. I think what really seals the deal in the series is the character writing. The animators worked their asses off to visually impress, but it would have been all a bit of a waste if the emotional core wasn't so strong.

That ending though..... Season 2 when?

Yes Duckroll, your impressions mirror mine when I watched Mob. Just like you, I was a little let down, but then the last episodes made what I was previously let down by seem so awesome and like a stepladder to the place we were at. Ultimately, Mob was the best package for me this year, and will most likely be my AOTY. Wish we got more shows with the amount of love for the craft as this one. Animation was bonkers and that alongside a really solid sense of direction elevated the source material to work perfectly on a screen format (I went back and read the manga). Also yes, I too hope we get a S2.

Not my favorite BONES show of the year, but Mob was definitetly one of the highlights. It had a slowish start but something about episode 4 and onward made it kind of click.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom