• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. I really dislike it's looping aimlessness and the awkward course the music tastes. It just feels very flat.

The ED is great though.

I agree that it's aimless, and I don't enjoy that, but I don't see why it should come in for unusually scathing criticism. At least the rotoscoped skating animation is attractive and there's a little play with colors. The Sound Euphonium S2 and Natsume S5 OPs are worse.

The ED is just your usual boring stills though; I don't think that should be getting any praise.

I'm not entirely enthusiastic about Yuri on Ice's OP, but this is some wild hyperbole. The worst thing about it is that it doesn't develop or go anywhere, which is a problem when the music bursts into a load bombastic chorus and the visuals don't match that, but it's not outright offensive or anything.

It's just a really bizarre opening. The visuals and music don't match, and are also both just weird on their own.

The visuals really needed to actually go somewhere over the course of the song.

Jex

I agree that it's aimless, and I don't enjoy that, but I don't see why it should come in for unusually scathing criticism. At least the rotoscoped skating animation is attractive and there's a little play with colors. The Sound Euphonium S2 and Natsume S5 OPs are worse.

The ED is just your usual boring stills though; I don't think that should be getting any praise.
I won't argue that the animation loops are expressive and that the colour choices are pleasant. That's as much as I can budge on!

With regards to the ED, well it's all getting fairly subjective here, but at they least it creates a distinct emotional tone. It's certainly not creative, or interesting, but it's a successful execution of a basic idea e.g. here are a bunch of 'travel/holiday/whatever photos that give us some idea of a characters tone or personality'.

Taruranto

Hot lesbians on Ice #1

fWya7vL.jpg

Someone should send this to Putin.

... Actually don't, you'll start WW3 or something.

The worst part was probably the last scene, kinda ANIME as hell with the protagonist going "whaat?"

Other than that, the main character was less of a moeblob than I expected from the PV, overall solid all around. I dunno about the setting tho', I wonder how they'll insert all the other characters into the story.

sonicmj1

The Yuri on Ice OP feels to me like they got halfway through it and then didn't have time to finish so they just repeated the first half.

Maybe they'll put out something more complete later?

Yuri on Ice 1

Funny how they retired the girl from any possible romantic relationship.

It was good, now we need to see if they can develop an enjoyable shonen-sports like story while advancing the characterization. Although I didn't like the SD-Yuri explaining things.

Perhaps the most impressive of the animation was the fact that didn't seem rotoscoped.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
The Yuri on Ice OP feels to me like they got halfway through it and then didn't have time to finish so they just repeated the first half.

Maybe they'll put out something more complete later?
Are you talking about the song or visuals? Because I thought the song was suppose to be complete by the time the first episode airs, unlike visuals which can be corrected way after the series airs.
Btw I havent seen the episode yet.

Yuri on Ice 01

I decided to give this show a chance and the visuals and everything else thus far have impressed me. Gotta say this is the first surprise show of the season for me. I absolutely love the opening song.

Gvitor

The announcements keep on coming as we welcome Kiss Him, Not Me! into the Crunchyroll fall simulcast lineup! Kiss Him, Not Me! starts Friday, October 7th, at 10PM PDT and will be available for Crunchyroll members in the following territories: United States of America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Latin America.

Kae Serinuma is what you'd call a "fujoshi." When she sees boys getting along with each other, she loves to indulge in wild fantasies! One day her favorite anime character dies and the shock causes her to lose a ton of weight. Then four hot guys at school ask her out, but that isn't exciting to her at all — she'd rather see them date each other!

DTL chose the wrong season to get banned

Sölf

Euphonium S2 01
Eeew, handholding. Lewd! The yuri is strong in this one.
Well, feels pretty similar to the first season so far. I am a bit more interested now than I was back then, no idea if that's simply because Reina is actually a main character or because I know the characters.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hmm, I think the hate for Yuri's OP caught me by surprise. Is it the fact that it's a handful of animation bits on repeat?
If I had to be more specific, I feel that it's clear resources were allocated to the opening, but it's honestly one of the most ambiguous and pointless openings I feel like I've seen in a long time. You could pluck random openings from the last few years out of a hat and they would almost always be better.

It says nothing about the characters or what you are about to watch other than that it is about ice skating, conveys nothing thematically, and features poor visual consistency. There's an interesting visual effect that leads the opening across the background, but then that is just lost. You see skaters preform moves from a single perspective in an extremely repetitive nature. At some point the color is removed completely because...??? These visual changes come and go and the choices are just completely meaningless. It is one of the most bothersome things that can happen in art of any sort, where the artist has nothing to convey and does not even attempt to put up a smokescreen to conceal that fact.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sorry for being annoying about the Yuri on Ice OP. It's just bad in a way I don't like, but the first episode is probably one of the strongest I've seen this year.

Mob Psycho 100 - 8

Testsuoooo!

Been catching up on this the last couple of days, and I can definitely say this is one of my favorite anime ever. I mean, gotdamn this is awesome. Music, animation, art, characters, everything; it's all awesome.

Rainy

Banned
I've never watched Strike Witches before, is that needed to watch Brave Witches? (Maybe I should watch Strike Witches though anyway...)

I've never watched Strike Witches before, is that needed to watch Brave Witches? (Maybe I should watch Strike Witches though anyway...)
Nope this focuses on a different group of witches. Though some references will go over your head.

I'd still recommend watching Strike Witches though just cause its pretty good.

Release the Kraken!

Eupho S2 - 01

It's back and it's great. While there was a larger focus on drama this episode I still realized that I'm actively trying to soak in more of the detailed music aspects thanks to Thoraxes, Hosanna and co telling us just how damn good the attention to detail is.

Kumika remains to be the best and I'm really curious about her relationship to her sister. It's probably something along the lines of her sister having lost in some competition or so in the past and losing her passion, becoming more distant and so forth. Maybe Kumiko actually sees a few similarities between her and Reina, which has her wondering if Reina would fall a bit apart, too, if she were to suffer some major setbacks. Well, it's a hell lot of speculation but whatever really is going on I'm quite interested.

It felt a bit weird when several characters that we seemingly didn't see or hear anything from in S1 shift into focus now but maybe they were there and I just didn't notice them because i had no reason to care for them at that point. Either way, hope they turn out to be interesting additions. Seems to be quite a bit to them.

Am a bit disgruntled by the lackluster OP and ED, though :(

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 1:

Well then, this may be the most visually striking show of the season thus far and yes I am including that over Euphonium. I was expecting the fujoshi bait but I was not expecting the wacky humor and honestly I didn't care for it either.

Cornbread78

Code Geass R2 ep.22
Wait, what? How the.... Something is messed up here; that's just not right.... Baka Lelouch, baka baka baka..

I could say "scenes which expand on the source material". "Filler" is just easier. I don't think the word always needs to be used in a negative manner.

I think using "filler" to mean "things that weren't in the original version" is a pretty poor use of the word. "Filler" as a word specifically implies something that has no actual worth aside from simply filling up time. It can be a useful term to describe, for example, DBZ scenes of characters powering up, or various bits where anime adaptations keep jumping over to show what other characters are doing in the middle of a fight, or things like that. But once important character moments are being referred to as filler, it loses all meaning. It winds up implying that only the original manga can be of worth.

I know that's not what you were intending to do, but I just really dislike the use of the word filler in that way. Scenes that expand on the source material aren't filler. Filler scenes are content which serve to do nothing aside from simply filling time because a show doesn't have enough material otherwise.

Wanderer5

Bungo Stray Dogs S2 #1

Huh, what a way to start the season, but pretty interesting nonetheless with quite a few really good shots. Dazai is Dazai even back when he was in port mafia.:p

Wednesday is going to be sequel day for me this season heh.

Gvitor

Yuri on Ice 01

This was really good. I didn't care for the comedy bits and I wished Yuri managed to get his confession across (even if this is anime, and sports male-centric anime at that), but I liked everything else.

Artstyle was beautiful when it wasn't in chibi anime mode, and the ice skating was really good. Can't wait until we get in the main competitions and (hopefully) they become the focus.

This show wasn't on my radar but now it definitely is. Even if it won't be the best sports anime of the season, with Haikyuu airing as well
and Keijo

jonjonaug

Yuri On Ice 1: Excellent character designs with diverse body types, a very interesting choice of sport for a sports anime, fun characters, great direction and animation, a fun script that strikes a good balance of seriousness and goofiness, cute dogs, and the main character is intensely huggable. So far this is easily the best show of the season IMO.

EDIT: Seriously I cannot overstate how much I like the character and art design in Yuri on Ice. Besides maybe Space Dandy and Kick Heart it's the best I've seen since Tsuritama.

Code Geass R2 ep.22
Wait, what? How the.... Something is messed up here; that's just not right.... Baka Lelouch, baka baka baka..

Code Geass doesn't give a crap about making sense OK.

Baalzebup

Code Geass R2 ep.22

Now you're just asking for this:

Geass lives and breathes ways to trip Lulu up since he is too OP without some real adversity. I mean, the dude still gets shit done constantly despite all of that and there are some great plays yet to come.

JCG

Code Geass R2 ep.22

Just give me a good battle dammit.

Keep watching.

Code Geass doesn't give a crap about making sense OK.

It might feel that way, but I'd say his actions make sense from his own perspective.

I think the last episode or two had some good stuff in that column but it's been years since I watched it.

Yes, the final episode is quite nice in that respect.

Cornbread78

Code Geass R2 ep.24
Ok, much better with the 1 on 1 battles this episode! I like it when Lelouch's sneaky tactics actually work. Some serious dkaying going on here as well! And that ending; it was psychosamatic, just like they thought. Of ot was just from the prior
Emporers Geass power, it would have gobe away when he died, no?

On well, on the the final episode now!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The Seven Deadly Sins - Nanatsu no Taizai Episodes 1 - 17

So I'm interrupting this watchthrough to say how much I'm liking this show. It was a real surprise for me and much better than I thought it would be. I love the cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom