• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then again, I haven't actually watched that many giant robot shows, so I was pleasantly surprised by G:IBO.

I mean, if IBO pleasantly surprised you, then I recommend checking out Patlabor, VOTOMS, and the original Mobile Suit Gundam if you want a good giant robot show that involves politics, scheming, and the like.

Jarmel

Banned
Yuri on Ice-1
eRMjLL4.jpg
Yea, I didn't really like this episode at all. That's mostly because the use of comedy felt heavyhanded and served to break up any sort of serious drama. I understand that Yamamoto didn't want the episode being bogged down with Yuri's depression but I found that to be the most interesting aspect of the show. A core theme of the episode has to do with chasing your dreams even while being tied down due to the circumstances around you. Yuri is faced with social pressures to give up and so is having a sort of midlife crisis as to deciding the direction of his life. My problem is that the comedy undercuts the seriousness and frustration he's having. Elements like Yuri coming home are played off comedically instead of him being full of self-loathing and the direction matching that. It's like if Ping-Pong was overloaded with comedy and reaction faces instead of a more serious and melancholic atmosphere. The direction is too 'vibrant' for where Yuri should be in his life.
For example there isn't effective color usage or lighting in the above scene as compared to the one below. It's almost garish.
The scene below uses physical space and the lighting as a barrier between Yuri and his sister, with the somber yellow lighting reflecting the depressed mood of Yuri. However that scene is an abnormality in the episode. Any time the show has a serious chance to delve into Yuri's failure and his mood, it backs off like in the bathroom in the opening. It's a show that half-assedlly tries to maintain a consistent tone but whiplashes all over the place in rapid succession. Again I understand that it's being done so that the viewer doesn't feel bogged down but the comedy is uninteresting and detracts from the meat of the work. It's a work that doesn't feel confident in itself or the viewers.

Cornbread78

I'm robot show illiterate, and have only actually watched Eureka Seven (actually, not all of it yet) and G:IBO so far. I was never into giant robots, but scheming and character development are right up my alley, so I guess I'll be looking more into the genre.

Darkness is where it's actually at, Corn. It's like the author tried his darnest to make things as explicit as possible without actually turning the manga into a flat-out hentai series.

Oh... I've heard Darkness is much worse, but I'm not sure I could sit through a few more seasons of Rito to make it there.

I like good ecchi comedies though, just not the loli shit.

I'm robot show illiterate, and have only actually watched Eureka Seven (actually, not all of it yet) and G:IBO so far. I was never into giant robots, but scheming and character development are right up my alley, so I guess I'll be looking more into the genre.

Oh yeah, weren't you also in the last stretch of episodes for Eureka Seven? You should finish that too! The last episode is one of the best episodes in the mecha genre.

Cornbread78

It is forbidden to post here without having watched Utena.

Please, rectify this immediately!

Revolutionary Girl Utena? It's been on my PTW list for a long time now. 1997? Damn, that was a long yime ago, lol.

After meeting a traveling prince who consoled her after the deaths of her parents, Utena Tenjou vowed to become a prince herself. The prince left Utena only with a ring bearing a strange rose crest and a promise that she would meet him again some day. A few years later, Utena attends Ootori Academy, where she is drawn into a dangerous game. Duelists with rings matching Utena's own compete for a unique prize: the Rose Bride, Anthy Himemiya, and her mysterious powers. When Utena wins Anthy in a duel, she realizes that if she is to free Anthy and discover the secrets behind Ootori Academy, she has only one option: to revolutionize the world. Shoujo Kakumei Utena blends surrealist imagery and ideas with complex allegories and metaphors to create a unique coming-of-age story with themes including idealism, illusions, adulthood, and identity.

Jarmel

Banned
Is the Yuri on Ice OP finished? I like it conceptually but it feels like they were halfway through and just sort of gave up.

Yuri on Ice-1

Yea, I didn't really like this episode at all. That's mostly because the use of comedy felt heavyhanded and served to break up any sort of serious drama. I understand that Yamamoto didn't want the episode being bogged down with Yuri's depression but I found that to be the most interesting aspect of the show. A core theme of the episode has to do with chasing your dreams even while being tied down due to the circumstances around you. Yuri is faced with social pressures to give up and so is having a sort of midlife crisis as to deciding the direction of his life. My problem is that the comedy undercuts the seriousness and frustration he's having. Elements like Yuri coming home are played off comedically instead of him being full of self-loathing and the direction matching that. It's like if Ping-Pong was overloaded with comedy and reaction faces instead of a more serious and melancholic atmosphere. The direction is too 'vibrant' for where Yuri should be in his life.

I don't think the show wanted to focus on his depression that much. After all, he already kinda worked his way out of it by instead focusing on learning that one specific Victor performance.

I didn't feel much of a dissonance really.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think the show wanted to focus on his depression that much. After all, he already kinda worked his way out of it by instead focusing on learning that one specific Victor performance.

I didn't feel much of a dissonance really.

He's still depressed though so it's not like he's back to normal and I don't think the show accurately reflects that most of the time. Not to mention his depression was one of the most interesting things about the show. I thought it raised the question about how does a person pull themselves out of a funk and the show seemingly bypasses it by skipping forward and throwing some chibi comedy at you. For example Yuri binge-eating is a reflection of his anxiety and depression at his failure but instead the episode largely plays it off for laughs.

Mob Psycho 100 - 9 & 10

This is really reminding me of when Saitama went into that alien ship and just bodied everyone. Also, holy shit at the end.
Reigen is actually not a scrub? I'm legit surprised. Though I feel like it will be revealed next episode or so that he really doesn't have powers and has somehow hustled his way into being the boss of an esper organization.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
He's still depressed though so it's not like he's back to normal and I don't think the show accurately reflects that most of the time. Not to mention his depression was one of the most interesting things about the show. I thought it raised the question about how does a person pull themselves out of a funk and the show seemingly bypasses it by skipping forward and throwing some chibi comedy at you. For example Yuri binge-eating is a reflection of his anxiety and depression at his failure but instead the episode largely plays it off for laughs.
I don't really see it as a show about depression so I wasn't really looking for it to be played up in the show. I don't think Yuri is supposed to be depressed like that, he's sort of just at a crossroads and stuck wallowing in failure before he sets out on a new path. His downward trajectory is shown off well, and stands as strong contrast to what we see from the other skaters from Russia.

Nanbaka 1

I was a bit unsure about this one at first, but it was actually kind of fun. Loved how colorful it was. You could kind of tell that this is another series based off of shorter chapters similar to www.working!!, but like that one this was decently fun. Not sure if it will remain as fresh and fun, but I'm interested.

Trickster 1

I liked this. The main character was good, and I am interested to see what they do with the suicidal guy. The robot subplot was a bit weird, but I'm guessing it will factor in more later. This would probably be better if you binged the first few episodes. Good music in this too.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't really see it as a show about depression so I wasn't really looking for it to be played up in the show. I don't think Yuri is supposed to be depressed like that, he's sort of just at a crossroads and stuck wallowing in failure before he sets out on a new path. His downward trajectory is shown off well, and stands as strong contrast to what we see from the other skaters from Russia.

I can understand that not being the goal of the work as a whole but even inside specific scenes, there's a lot of tone whiplash. The bathroom scene has the comedic stuff with Yuri shaking less than a minute after him crying about his fuckup. There's the scene when he gets home and he's initially contemplative and then people start talking about him there's a comedic freeze frame shot. If it wasn't for the scene with the sister, I would say that the show can't have a serious scene without a joke. Look at this scene for example:
Why do you need the funny faces in the background during this fairly serious moment? What does that add to the scene?

JulianImp

Oh... I've heard Darkness is much worse, but I'm not sure I could sit through a few more seasons of Rito to make it there.

I like good ecchi comedies though, just not the loli shit.

I skipped half of the first season and all of Motto and things were still fine. Early TLR was just like Nisekoi, with how it never ever solved a single plot line through lots of contrived coincidences that helped preserve the status quo, AFAIK.

Darkness has more plot than both earlier seasons (which isn't much of an accomplishment, of course)... but it also has a lot more "plot" as well.

Oh yeah, weren't you also in the last stretch of episodes for Eureka Seven? You should finish that too! The last episode is one of the best episodes in the mecha genre.

I'll get to it eventually, but I remember not really feeling the girl in the flower arc and kind of losing interest there.

I'll get to it eventually, but I remember not really feeling the girl in the flower arc and kind of losing interest there.

The girl in that episode (assuming you're talking about 41) doesn't have much of an arc and is more or less one of the characters setting up the show's end-game. IIRC she's just there to talk about Norb's backstory with Eureka.

TUSR

Banned
OP up to date
All Simulcast times are listed as UTC+00:00

Monday
14:30 Stella no Mahou
GfekrDR.png

17:00 Gakuen Handsome
17B2PFm.png

17:35 Trickster
17B2PFm.png

18:05 Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume
17B2PFm.png

22:10 Nyanbo!
17B2PFm.png

Tuesday
13:55 Nobunaga no Shinobi
17B2PFm.png

14:30 Soushi Shoujo Matoi
vLIADRB.png

19:00 Kaijuu Girls
17B2PFm.png

19:05 Natsume Yuujinchou Go
17B2PFm.png

19:30 Nanbaka
17B2PFm.png

Wednesday
10:55 Sousei no Onmyouji
17B2PFm.png

11:00 To Be Hero
17B2PFm.png

11:15 Cheating Craft
17B2PFm.png

14:40 Teekyuu S8
17B2PFm.png

14:50 Mahou shoujo nante mou ii desu kara S2
17B2PFm.png

14:55 Anime de Training XX
17B2PFm.png

15:30 Crane Game Girls Galaxy
17B2PFm.png

15:50 Nazotokine
17B2PFm.png

16:35 Brave Witches
17B2PFm.png

16:58 Girlish Number
vLIADRB.png

17:00 Hibike! Euphonium
17B2PFm.png

19:00 Yuri On Ice
17B2PFm.png

Thursday
12:00 Flip Flappers
vLIADRB.png

14:00 Regalia - The Three Sacred Stars
cE2spqV.png

15:55 Fune wo Amu
88kOei1.png

Friday
13:30 Dream Festival
17B2PFm.png

14:00 Drifters
17B2PFm.png

15:00 Bungou Stray Dogs S2
17B2PFm.png

16:30 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable
17B2PFm.png

Saturday
11:00 Time Bokan 24
17B2PFm.png

11:00 Classicaloid
vLIADRB.png

13:30 Bloodivores
17B2PFm.png

14:00 Bubuki Buranki S2
17B2PFm.png

14:30 Long Riders!
GfekrDR.png

15:30 ViVid Strike!
88kOei1.png

15:45 Shuumatsu no Izetta
17B2PFm.png

16:00 WWW.WORKING!!
17B2PFm.png

16:15 Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
17B2PFm.png

16:30 Occultic;Nine
17B2PFm.png

17:00 Sangatsu no Lion
17B2PFm.png

17:00 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love Legend Star
17B2PFm.png

19:28 Days
17B2PFm.png

19:45 Tiger Mask W
17B2PFm.png

Sunday
03:00 Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On
17B2PFm.png

10:30 Mobile Suit Gundam: Tekketsu no Orphans S2
GfekrDR.png

14:00 Show By Rock!!#
17B2PFm.png

15:00 Okusama ga Seitokaichou! +!
17B2PFm.png

15:30 Magic★Kyun! Renaissance
17B2PFm.png

16:00 Touken Ranbu -Hanamaru-
17B2PFm.png

18:05 Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan
cE2spqV.png

19:15 Ao Oni
17B2PFm.png

17B2PFm.png
- Crunchyroll
cE2spqV.png
- Funimation
GfekrDR.png
- Daisuki
88kOei1.png
- Amazon Prime
vLIADRB.png
- The Anime Network

(For whoever uses it.)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I can understand that not being the goal of the work as a whole but even inside specific scenes, there's a lot of tone whiplash. The bathroom scene has the comedic stuff with Yuri shaking less than a minute after him crying about his fuckup. There's the scene when he gets home and he's initially contemplative and then people start talking about him there's a comedic freeze frame shot. If it wasn't for the scene with the sister, I would say that the show can't have a serious scene without a joke. Look at this scene for example:
We are still being introduced to these characters, so I feel like it'd be somewhat wasteful to try and create dramatic moments where the viewer is supposed to wholly empathize with the character. I thought the snappy pace helped convey a great deal of information about the characters in a very compact amount of time, and I don't think that would have been possible if the show made an effort to dramatize what is essentially a set up episode. We get a solid idea of the location, discover where each of the characters are at in their lives and get an idea of their general disposition, and have the larger story set up. These are really not easy to do and I feel like it's these elements the show handles expertly.

I understand where you are coming from, but I can't help but feel that the expectations are misplaced. There are too many over the top plot points for this to take a dour tone. This is goofy fujoshi stuff, but if you compare this to stuff like Free! I feel that Yuri on Ice is just miles ahead when it comes to story construction and composition.

Quasar

I skipped half of the first season and all of Motto and things were still fine. Early TLR was just like Nisekoi, with how it never ever solved a single plot line through lots of contrived coincidences that helped preserve the status quo, AFAIK.

Darkness has more plot than both earlier seasons (which isn't much of an accomplishment, of course)... but it also has a lot more "plot" as well.

I was bored/kind of skipped Motto too. Only got interesting when Momo took over. Though i kind of lost interest with the whole Yami storyline.

Thoraxes

Bungo Stray Dogs - 13

I've been really looking forward to knowing more about
Dazai's past
especially after all the teases/hints and one juicy tidbit last cour, and this episode really delivered in spades. I can't really put it into words why I liked it so much, but the tone and presentation hit that sweet spot for me. It easily captured my undivided attention.

TUSR

Banned
Bungou Stray Dogs came out today on Wednesday, unless that was just this week?

You're right, its Simulcast on Wednesdays 10:35am PDT.

So it should be 17:35 Wednesdays UTC.

Thanks, ill have to look through CR's times later to make sure everything is accurate.

Jarmel

Banned
We are still being introduced to these characters, so I feel like it'd be somewhat wasteful to try and create dramatic moments where the viewer is supposed to wholly empathize with the character. I thought the snappy pace helped convey a great deal of information about the characters in a very compact amount of time, and I don't think that would have been possible if the show made an effort to dramatize what is essentially a set up episode. We get a solid idea of the location, discover where each of the characters are at in their lives and get an idea of their general disposition, and have the larger story set up. These are really not easy to do and I feel like it's these elements the show handles expertly.

I understand where you are coming from, but I can't help but feel that the expectations are misplaced. There are too many over the top plot points for this to take a dour tone. This is goofy fujoshi stuff, but if you compare this to stuff like Free! I feel that Yuri on Ice is just miles ahead when it comes to story construction and composition.

This episode is supposed to serve as the background and driving force for Yuri going forward. That's partially why I'm so critical of a number of the scenes as the show doesn't handle them as deftly as it needs to. I'm much less concerned about the information relegated about the side characters but rather nailing the scenes involving the primary trio, which is something I feel is more important precisely because it is a set up episode. I'm not saying that the scenes are necessarily tone deaf but I feel the comedy is misplaced in its use and detracts from those scenes.

I do agree the episode serves the primary purpose it needs to, which is setting up the characters and locations, but I don't think the direction is firing on all cylinders during the serious moments. Taking a comedic approach to the work/material as a whole is fine but I also think certain dramatic moments should be treated as such and played straight. Yamamoto has a tendency not to balance the two as well as she should, Michiko to Hatchin had a similar problem now that I think about it.

Mob Psycho 100 - 11

Well, I'm a fool for actually thinking there was even a chance Reigen was actually legit, haha.

Also, they dun just fucked up now. Mob about to snap.

Seven Deadly Sins Episode 24

This was so much better than it had any right to be.
Alright, your posts have convinced me that this'll be the next series I watch.

Mob Psycho 100 - 12

Man that was great. This show continues to do the opposite of what I expect. That final showdown would have played out so differently in most other anime, but what they did here was awesome. I really hope there will be another season.

Line_HTX

Huh, there are some shows that were removed from Crunchyroll that secretly got added back into their library, according to reddit. Might get to some somewhat old stuff as this season settles down on what routine to take.

TUSR

Banned

Angel Beats
Oregairu S1
Love Chuniybo S1
Dusk Maiden
Outbreak Company
Bodacious Space Pirates
Sakura's Trick
Tsuritama
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior
Un-Go
Ef - A Tale of Memories
Ef - A Tale of Melodies

ibyea

Banned
Battery: 7-9
The baseball game presented was really low key (a game in anime that actually looks normal!), but it sure presented an interesting perspective on the game. I have never thought of the role of a catcher in a baseball game before.

The drama aspect keeps remaining pretty good, but I just don't get what's up with Nagakura here.

Thoraxes

Angel Beats
Oregairu S1
Love Chuniybo S1
Dusk Maiden
Outbreak Company
Bodacious Space Pirates
Sakura's Trick
Tsuritama
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior
Un-Go
Ef - A Tale of Memories
Ef - A Tale of Melodies

Looks like Sentai stuff.

Ace Attorney 6

Just beat it, and it's good. Not amazing, but good. Fun writing, next level pun names, thought it finished on a strong note. The sprite work is really solid. Suffered from some pacing issues, the ost feels a bit limp, and I wish it started stronger. Thankfully tones down the amount of pixel hunts and gimmicky mini-games that in the past felt too prevalent.

I will say, without going into spoilers, I feel the biggest problem with Ace Attorney 6 is how the story treats Maya.

TUSR

Banned
Oh, phew. I was actually thinking it hadn't been picked up or something (or that we weren't allowed to talk about it in this thread).

There were a few shows picked up today which don't have pages made for them yet, so im holding off because CR times tend to be volatile and bounce around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom