• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thud

To Be Hero 1
wut.png

Wut?

Better butter up my pooper then.

That said, the opening to Yuri on Ice is a masterpiece compared to Sound! Euphonium 2's opening.

The latter's opening is a skip every time opening.

Exalted

Bungo Stray Dogs S2 episode 1

Well this was quite different from S1. The entire episode was in the past featuring Dazai and his work with the Port Mafia, and had quite a different tone. Was much more dramatic and with less comedy. Don't know if this is only for the first episode or what?

Qurupeke

Hibike! Euphonium S2 1
This was so good. Eupho is back, better than ever.

The episode was basically like Euphonium in a nutshell, though we also got introduced to characters that will surely play an important part later. The Heaven girl was pretty good, I really liked her eagerness and her persistence. Asuka is thinking for the greater good, but is strict as usual. The Hell girl has her quirks, but I can see how Nozomi betrayed her expectations. I wonder what will happen when they'll meet. Hashimoto is also an interesting addition, as he seems quite the opposite to Taki-sensei. The premise of college buddies has a lot of potential, so looking forward to his scenes.
As I said though, it was Euphonium in a nutshell. We got some practice, funny and dramatic interactions between the members of the band and, of course, Kumiko and Reina scenes. The festival was a really nice way to close the episode. Despite its length, this was a very strong start and we're already ready to delve into S2 and the practice for the new competition. Also, I forgot how much I love Kumiko, her various snarky comments and her awkward behavior. Thankfully, the episode had plenty of them!

Looking forward to the rest of the show!

Wanderer5

Sound! Euphonium S2 #1

Woo the show is back, and is as enjoyable as ever. It be interesting to see how things with Nozomi goes.

And the opening is okay, through the first one was pretty great.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sound! Euphonium Season 2, Episode 1:

Tell me lies, Tell me sweet little lies, oh, no, no you can't disguise, tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies.

Although I'm not making plans, I hope that you understand there's a reason why.

Close your, close your, close your eyes, no more broken hearts, we're better off apart let's give it a try.

I hope that conveys my thoughts and feeling on the matter pertaining to the usage of yuri tropes and Sound! Euphonium at this point. With the additional notation of biting cruelness of continuing to build this bullshit and then undercutting things either right after or during the proceedings.

Anyway, oh yea, this is also nominally a concert band show though in structure it is a sports drama disguised as a slice of life club program. Indeed, Kitauji high school concert band club is on the next rung of competition as now they are playing in the regional division. Trying to recall if the oboist was around in season one or if she is an actual new character being passed off as somebody who has been around the whole time. Finally, I am recalling hard just how well Eupho here nails the life and times of high school in both the good and bad ways. As in you could not pay me to give a fuck about the penny anne club drama.

phaze

Bungou Stray Dogs 13

Thought this was a mightily impressive return for the series. It felt like Igarashi watched 91 Days and was all "Hey Shuka, this is how you do a Mafia anime". Just an all around well directed ep, centered on Dazai's past with some neat mafia vibe and tension sprinkled on top of it. Some new additions to the OST if I heard correctly and the OP song sounds dope as well. I'm not sure if this is the moment we get to see what made Dazai switch but it's nice to get some more info on his character at this stage.

gargles

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 - 1 (or 13)

Pretty interesting episode, with a first look on Dazai's backstory. Liked the darker tone, although Dazai's comedy shticks are one of his stronger points. Really good first episode. And that OP? Whoa.

And now, Euphonium. Just went through the first season and I definitely need more Kumiko and Reina.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.26
KUKHX2K.jpg

Another entertaining episode that has followed the same recipe as the past couple weeks. I kinda wish they would mix it up a little bit, but they are still fun to watch.
We finally get to see that Sae-chan definitely has some special powers that she is able to use against the Basara.

BluWacky

Hmmm, the opening to Yuri on Ice is kinda eh to be honest. Nice animation, but not really feeling it as a whole.

As pointed out previously, the decision to Initial D-up the chorus is baffling. There's some nice string work buried in that distorted mess somewhere; it's the kind of song that should have, I dunno, french horns in the orchestration at that point? Or keep it to guitars maybe? It just doesn't suit the sudden intrusion of all that Eurobeat.

Lovely figure-skating animation, though. I do intend to watch this, along with a million other things...

Tuck

You would be absolutely fine just playing Danganronpa 1 & 2 and ignoring the rest of the series. They have mostly complete stories and leave you in a good enough place that did not require any sequels. Danganronpa Zero is a prequel LN that's pretty good and adds to both 1 & 2. Other than that, 3 is pretty bad, and UDG is basically pointless.

Just wait for V3 after playing Reload.

Play 1 and 2, then watch the last 3 minutes of the last episode of the anime of you really need some kind of ending. DR3 is all either bad backstory or a self contained (and bad) story that actually does nothing to 'end' the series.

no you dont need to watch them. every single detail DR3 clarifies is better off left to your own imagination because you wont be able to think of a better way to fuck it up

No, they are not required watching. Both 1 and 2 have reasonably satisfying endings in themselves, and V3 is allegedly going to start a new continuity which doesn't carry on any of the previous storylines. Just ignore the anime.

Cool, thanks folks.

Szadek

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Ep. 1-2
I'm trying to finish this asap so I don't fall too far behind with season 2.
This is my first gundam series and I also haven't watch any mech animes in quite some time.

Anyway, this was a pretty good startt. The anime is grimmer than I thought it would be, but I don't mind.
The fights looked pretty good so far,too, although I don't think I can judge them that well right now.
I also really like Kudelia Aina's chracter design.

Sound! Euphonium Season 2 1:
It's back, and better than ever.

This episode was basically everything that I loved about the first season. The scenery was downright gorgeous, the direction was strong, the music was great, and we got a ton of great character development throughout the whole episode. I think the episode did a really good job at picking things back up from the first season. Right from the start we're reminded about what makes Kumiko such a great protagonist, we have some great scenes developing her friendship with Reina, and we see pretty much all of the other characters established pretty early on as well. In addition to that, we wind up meeting a couple of new characters who are already pretty well developed. It looks like these characters are going to be pretty important for this season, and this should serve to give us some more development for Yuko and Natsuki and their past as well.

Euphonium has always done a really great job at developing its ensemble cast, and the second season is off to another great start in that respect. The double length episode really helped it do that; giving each character some moments within the episode without causing the whole thing to feel rushed. Season 2 looks like it should be just as classy as season 1, and will probably be a strong contender for Anime of the Year in a few months.

Gvitor

2 yuri 4 me 2x01

Among the best 1st episodes of the year. The double lenght really helped here, since they relied heavily on previous stuff and managed to mitigate the space between seasons by having callbacks talks and flashbacks to support them. I really should've seen S1 again before starting this, but time isn't on my side. I think I'll just read Thoraxes' reviews again instead.

Kumiko is such a great character. As previously mentioned in this thread, her snark commentary is perfect. Tone of voice, everything. And her relationship with Reina is the obvious highlight from all of this. I liked the short scenes she had with her sister as well.

I'm unsure about how I feel about Ms. Anime Character, the silent apathetic oboe player, but I see potential in the story.

And I liked the OP song, but not the OP itself. And Dream Sollister was a better song, too.

But now...

Can we talk about this oddly realistic sink?

phaze

Was the first season of Bungou Stray Dogs good?

It's a pretty generic shoune tfuu I think it's seinen actually but with some great comedy, fun characters and nice direction, competent production values. Whether you can bear with the show I feel depends directly on how you find the first two. The middle is spent on some trite supporting cast introductions but I found beginning and ending stages good.

So I guess - your mileage will vary cause the general reception has been subdued.

Nobunaga no Shinobi 01

Neat little thing, picked up.

gargles

Hibike! Euphonium
Hibike! Euphonium 2 - 1

I've just gone through the first season a couple of hours ago but watching this new episode felt like I haven't seen its cast for a long time. Really loved them and judging from this hour-long episode, that won't change.
The extremely likable cast; the great protagonist, her amazingly adorable friend, some of their senpais and their advisor; the gorgeous visuals; the impressive soundtrack... There's quite a lot to enjoy and appreciate in this show. Great first season and a promising start of the second one, with the best episode I've seen this Fall. And so, the next piece begins...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
That said, the opening to Yuri on Ice is a masterpiece compared to Sound! Euphonium 2's opening.

The latter's opening is a skip every time opening.
Yuri on Ice OP is objectively awful. Like...maybe it could have been good but it's pretty thoughtless, lazy, annoying, etc. Just atrocious choreography and a half-baked visual style. Basically unwatchable.

Yuri on Ice 01

Don't really like this OP either. Main dude looks SO much like the MC of Parasyte, I can't get over it.

Visually fantastic looking show and for something that has as much precise movement as figure skating its very needed. I'm interested to see more.

Szadek

I was thinking about watching S2 of Bungo Stray Dogs, but it only made me realise how little I care about the show.
It's not that I hate the show, but I don't think I give enough fucks to watch another 12-13 episodes.

Yuri!! On Ice 1:

Very strong first episode. The visuals were great, both in terms of the strong art quality, as well as some great animation. I wasn't expecting the show to be quite as comedic as it was, but we got a lot of great comedy in this episode, especially all of the scenes with Minako. The animation and the music also did a really great job at bringing the figure skating to life. This is definitely some really challenging material to work with given the precision needed, but the first episode handled it beautifully. If the show maintains this level of quality than it will definitely be something that I look forward to every week.

Jex

Yuri on Ice OP is objectively awful. Like...maybe it could have been good but it's pretty thoughtless, lazy, annoying, etc. Just atrocious choreography and a half-baked visual style. Basically unwatchable.
It's actually just a burning pile of garbage.

jediyoshi

I'm unsure about how I feel about Ms. Anime Character, the silent apathetic oboe player, but I see potential in the story.

They needed someone to fill the spot of quiet, impenetrable character since Reina acts like a human now. I like the trade off.

Chi's Sweet Home OP is really good. JoJo's new OP is the first of the DiU ones to live up to the classic first, second and fourth OPs (sorry Stand Proud)

Mob Psycho 100 still best OP

Qurupeke

Hmm, I think the hate for Yuri's OP caught me by surprise. Is it the fact that it's a handful of animation bits on repeat? The use of colours and the lack of details or backgrounds? It is somewhat lacking, maybe a bit tiring to watch, but I like the strong animation with that song that's like out of Eurovision... Not the most imaginative OP but I like its dynamism.

Maybe it reminds me of an ED a bit too much, and I guess that's not a very good aspect of it...

It's actually just a burning pile of garbage.

I'm not entirely enthusiastic about Yuri on Ice's OP, but this is some wild hyperbole. The worst thing about it is that it doesn't develop or go anywhere, which is a problem when the music bursts into a load bombastic chorus and the visuals don't match that, but it's not outright offensive or anything.

Jex

I'm not entirely enthusiastic about Yuri on Ice's OP, but this is some wild hyperbole. The worst thing about it is that it doesn't develop or go anywhere, which is a problem when the music bursts into a load bombastic chorus and the visuals don't match that, but it's not outright offensive or anything.

I don't know. I really dislike it's looping aimlessness and the awkward course the music tastes. It just feels very flat.

The ED is great though.
I kept waiting for Yuri on Ice's OP to have a breakdown or shift and it never happened
Yes. That was also kind of frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom