• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lostorage incited WIXOSS | 02

I'll have to correct my previous reaction on episode 1, I thought the black-haired girl in Suzuko's class was Chinatsu, episode 2 came along and now I learned/know both girls are in different schools.

With that out of the way I'm really liking how this is turning out to an eventual showdown between two childhood friends whose LRIGs are personifications of each other's friend. Since Meru is the personification of Suzuko I wonder if Chinatsu is using the LRIG as a replacement for her and if so the eventual showdown is just something I look forward to even more. Good first impressions so far!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Girlish Number 10

Why is this so good? What did we do to deserve this most bountiful of blessings?

Szadek

I'm still at S1 of Concrete Revolutio.
It's on my on-hold list for quit a while now becauce I just don't get this show.
Like, I'm pretty sure the anime is trying to do something, but I have no clue what that something is.

Mob Psycho 100 5

Well that one was decidedly harder to watch than the previous episodes given how raw and ugly (not the visuals) it was. Reigen's words coupled with Mob's personal trauma made a strong case for him resisting using his power against Teru but christ, I didn't expect Teru to so greatly fear the loneliness he expected to encounter if he was simply normal so much that he'd lash out at Mob as he did. Strong contrast between the two given how everyone that knew Teru respected (read: feared) him due to his weaponizing his power as opposed to Mob's peers accepting him as one of their own in spite of his abilities.

This was the episode that made me realize how much more care was put into the characters and development for this story. Mob's struggle of wanting to prove himself without his natural gifts is sympathetic.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
dimb are you watching Girlish Number? I need your trademark hot takes™ on why Girlish Number isn't as good as I think it is because it's almost too good to be true.

Narag

The Mob Psycho 100 dub is good.

Now to get it on Toonami.

Watched the beginning and thought Reigen & Mob sounded decent.

This was the episode that made me realize how much more care was put into the characters and development for this story. Mob's struggle of wanting to prove himself without his natural gifts is sympathetic.

Yeah I was recalling other stories that covered the same ground as I watched it and was pleasantly surprised how well this was handled in comparison.

Lostorage incited WIXOSS | 03

So the penalty for losing all your coins gets revealed but that still leaves it vague. For instance if just your
memories and personality disappear, then what about the physical person? Does the body just wander off? Sort of got that impression when Hanna won her battle and the loser just wandered. Which goes back to Suzuko's opponent who lost his sister to the battle, did the sister after losing just wander off never to be found again?
This is what police is for damnit, put out a lost person notification.

Meh, again I'm overthinking it but it isn't that much of a hurdle to get over. Hoping the show doesn't throw out more plot hole hurdles at me because so far I'm enjoying it.

Edit: Oh and compared to selector infected and selector spread, Lostorage incited nails down the battle music.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
dimb are you watching Girlish Number? I need your trademark hot takes™ on why Girlish Number isn't as good as I think it is because it's almost too good to be true.
Yes. I was very positive on it early on. I don't think it accomplishes very much with the expansive side cast or its "insight" on the failing production though, and the latter produces sequences that feel excessively drawn out that can ultimately only contribute to the storyline for Kuzu as a producer. The middle episodes had Chitose kind of stalling, and Yae and Koto really do not bring anything to the numerous scenes they are featured in. It's like when the bad Idolm@ster of Love Live girls get an episode and you just want it to be over with as fast as possible. Goujou is the same, though it tends to feel worse because he never really winds up offering the deeper perspective his character should.

Fortunately all of the stuff with Momoka and Kazuha works really well. Their relationship together feels genuine and having families that are important to these characters just builds a solid foundation for their motives, goals, and development. Stuff with Chitose is also moving forward in a surprisingly thoughtful direction as she's sandwiched between ambitious upcommers and experienced voice actors who are much more talented than she is.

Have not really combed over AotY stuff lately but Girlish Number would probably rank in the #5-10 area if it keeps at this pace.

Speaking of Girlish Number does Chitose ever improve on her personality/attitude? I dropped the show due to a mixture of having an insufferable protagonist and busy with RL shit; I don't wanna go back into the show if MC is still an insufferable twat.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Speaking of Girlish Number does Chitose ever improve on her personality/attitude? I dropped the show due to a mixture of having an insufferable protagonist and busy with RL shit; I don't wanna go back into the show if MC is still an insufferable twat.
She doesn't just do an about turn and start acting nice so I can't imagine your opinion of the show really improving. I don't really find her to be that detestable, but I say this as an awful person. There are positive attributes to her personality but I do not think everyone will see them, even if the show tries to get you there.
Chitose is the number 1 reason I'm watching Girlish Number.
Momoka is really the better reason to watch Girlish Number....

Cornbread78

KonoSuba S2 - PV

https://youtu.be/9jVxMt845AY

The ride is not over yet.

Yes, yes, and more fu(king yes!

JvYl6Bm.gif

blurr

Girlish Number 10

the episode is called "A Corrupted Chitose and Broken Trash" and Shitose continues to be a terrible person

New girl reminds me of Uzuki from Cinderella Girls, of course people want ganbarimasu over shitose

Uzuki is too pure to resemble someone else

Kansai is best girl.

bro gets me

I like Girlish Number mostly because of Chitose. What the show accomplishes overall has me a bit mixed, there are moments/episodes that come together or hint something interesting(anime production becoming a failure, the skills to be a VA, Chitose's general attitude and Kazuha/Momoka) but little feels fulfilling.

Clov

Hoping that by the time 2017 comes around, Amazon Canada will get their shit together. Noitamina still have all their show on amazon now right?

Yep, and it's going to be that way for the foreseeable future.

Amazon Canada becoming competent though? Now that is a pipe dream.

Clov

More like Battery and Great Passage, less like Kabaneri please.

Fingers crossed!

I'm hopeful for more like Great Passage; it's one of my favorites of the year! Looking back though, I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy Battery. I thought about it more and more, and in the end I think it wasn't the subject matter that put me off, but the characters. I could never bring myself to like them, and at the same time I never felt any of them were interesting people. It just wasn't for me, I guess.

Clov

Don't we already know like half their lineup?

There's only two shows left; Scum's Wish and another Saekano season.

While I have absolutely no interest in Saekano, I'm curious about the home video rights. Will they go to Aniplex as before, or will Amazon somehow have a stake in it? It makes me wonder if Amazon's deal with Fuji TV only extends to the properties that Fuji TV themselves have the international rights to, leaving Aniplex's stuff to them.

Of course, it could be divided up so that Amazon has nothing at all to do with the home video rights, and they just go to a different member of the production committee.

Lostorage incited WIXOSS | 04 - 08

Well that's alot of development, but what is good about it is that it was executed really well and is believable compared to the predecessor season(s). Quick rundown to organize my thoughts:

- Chinatsu keeps spiraling down to turning into a bitch in darkness
- Despite that, Chinatsu is still struggling in letting her memort of Suzuko go
- Suzuko is finally letting go of her dependence on Chinatsu
- Piriluk from the previous season(s) is back
- Bookmaker was a LRIG now a Selector

So yeah, with episode 8 this season exposes its connections with the previous season(s) to which I assumed that Lostorage incited would be it's own thing. Kinda disappointed in this turn of events as while I did enjoy selector infected + selected spread, that does not mean I couldn't recognize it's many flaws and plot holes.

It's also weird because the conflict between our protagonists is separate from the game of WIXOSS using the card game as a means to an end whilst its predecessor of selector infected + selector spread was integral to how WIXOSS worked in the whole wish fulfillment theme they had going on.

Here's to hoping the show doesn't trip itself over trying to fill in the damn plot holes selector infected + selector spread left behind because so far it has a good strong 8 episodes.

Fingers crossed!

I'm hopeful for more like Great Passage; it's one of my favorites of the year! Looking back though, I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy Battery. I thought about it more and more, and in the end I think it wasn't the subject matter that put me off, but the characters. I could never bring myself to like them, and at the same time I never felt any of them were interesting people. It just wasn't for me, I guess.

Most people didn't seem to like Battery, which is fine, but even if you didn't like it I think you can agree that it's the sort of anime noitaminA ideally should be sponsoring as opposed to Saekano S2 or whatever. I'm glad that, while noitaminA lost a consistent brand identity a long time ago, it will still come out with unusual non-otaku-oriented anime from time to time.

Clov

Most people didn't seem to like Battery, which is fine, but even if you didn't like it I think you can agree that it's the sort of anime noitaminA ideally should be sponsoring as opposed to Saekano S2 or whatever. I'm glad that, while noitaminA lost a consistent brand identity a long time ago, it will still come out with unusual non-otaku-oriented anime from time to time.

Yes, absolutely. Honestly, I'd rather noitaminA put out a hundred more anime in the vein of something like Battery than another Kabineri/Saekano, etc. Though I wouldn't mind something more lighthearted/less grounded from them at all (think Tsuritama).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom