• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you people don't really like Anime Trending, but here is what the more casual crowd liked this summer, and the show that are running for AOTY for the whole year.

AOTY contestant(not ranked) it's in alphabetical order!
1. Akagami no Shirayukime 2nd Season
2. Boku dake ga Inai Machi
3. Boku no Hero Academia
4. Bungou no Stray Dogs
5. Haikyuu!! 3rd Season (PROJECTED)
6. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo
7. Kiznaiver
8. Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
9. Natsume Yuujinchou Go (PROJECTED)
10. Re:Zero
11. Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara
12. Tales of Zestiria the X
13. Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
14. Yuri!! on Ice (PROJECTED)
15. AOTY Wildcard Round Winner
- Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 2nd Season
- Jojo's Bizarre Adventures: Diamond is Unbreakable
----------------------
Summer top10

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. ZESTIRIA?!? REALLY?

HOW?!?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Tales fans also have bad taste in anime? I'm shocked. Shocked!

Well, not that shocked.

I'm one of the biggest Tales fans out there and even I think Zestiria of all things winning AOTY in the same year where stuff like Diamond is Unbreakable aired is insanity.

Quasar

I know you people don't really like Anime Trending, but here is what the more casual crowd liked this summer, and the show that are running for AOTY for the whole year.

3. Boku no Hero Academia
4. Bungou no Stray Dogs
7. Kiznaiver
----------------------
Summer top10

Shirayuki S2 was this year? Another title to put on my short list.

Tales fans also have bad taste in anime? I'm shocked. Shocked!

Well, not that shocked.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. ZESTIRIA?!? REALLY?

HOW?!?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm one of the biggest Tales fans out there and even I think Zestiria of all things winning AOTY in the same year where stuff like Diamond is Unbreakable aired is insanity.
Have you guys watched the anime for more then 1 episode? it's actually pretty good, they changed some stuff that I think really helped the story.

I mean it's also not hard to get why it's there. It's a pretty show, it has likeable characters and it has great battles.

Also if we are just talking about the aoty contestants, it's actually a pretty reasonable list. It's something you could easily suggest to the average anime fan and be pretty sure they would enjoy it.

Cornbread78

Poco's Udon World ep.10
Oh my goodness, dem "feels" man.... Such a wonderful episode to witness (probably my fav of anything airing this season) with great character progression and more of the consistent story and art that make this show such a pleasure to watch. Each week Poco's presence rubs off on everyone more and more and that impact was really felt this episode..

phaze

Fafner 17
023105t7usz.jpg

Local girl falls to a terrible construed talk no jutsu.

This episode was just bizarre in how it handled the whole Neo UN forces on Alvis thing. At previous episode's end, they were still mostly in control of the entire island, at the beginning of this one, they are already moving out. I mean, hello ? Maybe I'm to suppose that they were so frightened of Kazuki's new mech, they called it quits for their principal plan (which was pretty damn important surely) but I'd like such things to be, you know actually spelled out or even just signified in narrative.

Cornbread78

3-gatsu ep.9
Tone deffinately all over the place, but I thought it really worked this episode. Tgey could have made this episode very sombering, however, the use of comedy with the old man and use of Rei's introspection was done pretty well, imo. These types of tonal jumps usually put me off a little wgen it is used in shows like FMA, Twin Star Exorcists, and Fairy Tale, but again, it was done pretty well and fit the story being told.

The call to big sis was awesome! It was also very succesful as a middle finger right in her face.... Perfect Rei, just perfect....

Have you guys watched the anime for more then 1 episode? it's actually pretty good, they changed some stuff that I think really helped the story.

I mean it's also not hard to get why it's there. It's a pretty show, it has likeable characters and it has great battles.

Also if we are just talking about the aoty contestants, it's actually a pretty reasonable list. It's something you could easily suggest to the average anime fan and be pretty sure they would enjoy it.

I could probably name 7 other shows that have these qualities that would qualify for AOTY more than Zestiria.

Look. If I watched Tales of Zestiria, I'd probably be entertained by it. I'm sure it tells the story there a lot better than in the game (mostly due to it being a completely disjointed mess halfway through). I'd get some good fun out of it.

But Anime of the Year? In the same year as Diamond is Unbreakable and Mob Psycho 100? Really?

The only time I ever considered a Tales story to have a sense of remarkable decency would be Vesperia. Other than that, Tales game stories are generally just the junk food of anime RPG stories. What is unique about Zestiria the X compared to other shows this year? What does it do to differentiate itself from being another assembly-line, competently made fantasy anime?

Knowing how Zestiria's story goes and generally not thinking too much of it, the fact that it of all things ended up getting more votes than literally everything else this year makes me laugh. Was it really that popular?

Girlish Number 10

the episode is called "A Corrupted Chitose and Broken Trash" and Shitose continues to be a terrible person

New girl reminds me of Uzuki from Cinderella Girls, of course people want ganbarimasu over shitose

I could probably name 7 other shows that have these qualities that would qualify for AOTY more than Zestiria.

Look. If I watched Tales of Zestiria, I'd probably be entertained by it. I'm sure it tells the story there a lot better than in the game (mostly due to it being a completely disjointed mess halfway through). I'd get some good fun out of it.

But Anime of the Year? In the same year as Diamond is Unbreakable and Mob Psycho 100? Really?

The only time I ever considered a Tales story to have a sense of remarkable decency would be Vesperia. Other than that, Tales game stories are generally just the junk food of anime RPG stories. What is unique about Zestiria the X compared to other shows this year? What does it do to differentiate itself from being another assembly-line, competently made fantasy anime?

Knowing how Zestiria's story goes and generally not thinking too much of it, the fact that it of all things ended up getting more votes than literally everything else this year makes me laugh. Was it really that popular?
Well Anime trending as a specific way of doing it's AOTS. They work on weekly votes. Zestiria was this summer most popular show, because on a weekly basis people voted for it consistently. I follow their ranking and I remember seeing Mob go in and out of the top 10 constantly. So that would mean, that on a weekly basis, the people of Anime trending felt more entertained by Zestiria then by Mob. Maybe Mob got more votes on the weeks of episode 12 and 8, but it wasn't enough for it to win.

Also yea, it was quite popular, AT as top 10 for a bunch of stuff. Mikleo and Sorey were constantly in the top 10 males characters on a weekly basis, and Edna was rocking the #1 spot on the female sides from almost the moment she was introduced. Kaze no uta was also in the top anime openings and the ending theme won for the best ending of the summer season. I haven't even started talking about the shipping top 10. The SoreyxMikleo voters were pretty strong hum hum.

So yea maybe here on animegaf Zestiria did not resonate with the posters, but it was rated pretty favorably everywhere else.

Also yea, the anime was good, it was definitely one of my personal favourites of the summer. It fixes a lot of the game's story problems. Like giving Alisha a much better role.

Note that it did not compete against Jojo in any of the votes of Summer, since continuing show usually get there own voting spot if they did not win in the season they started on.

Bubuki Buranki
Koukaku no Pandora
Re:Zero
Kiznaiver
Flying Witch
Concrete Revolutio
Love Live! Sunshine!!
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!
Lostorage incited WIXOSS
Brave Witches

My top ten of the year but not in any particular order.

phaze

Thundebolt Fantasy
====

Kiznaiver
Rakugo

===

Luluco
Sangatsu no Lion
Bungou Stray Dogs
To Be Hero

===

Hibike
Tanaka
Haikyuu
Re: Zero

We doing this again ? Subject to change within the tiers, might still stick Mob in place of Re:

-------

So was there any appearance of historical figures in Brave Witches ?I need to know for reasons. And science.

Qurupeke

1. Space Patrol Luluco
2. Mob Psycho 100
3. Euphonium S2
4. Kiznaiver
5. Flip Flappers
6. Diamond is Unbreakable
7. Girlish Number
8. Macross Delta
9. Phantom World
10. Re: Zero
I still need to watch Rakugo and probably The Great Passage...

sonicmj1

So yea maybe here on animegaf Zestiria did not resonate with the posters, but it was rated pretty favorably everywhere else.

On MAL, 106,899 members scored Tales of Zestria the X an average of 7.6, making it the 16th best-scored show of the summer on that site.

That isn't to say that MAL's rankings are necessarily worth any more or less than AnimeChartz or whatever. But any community is going to have its own quirks, likes, and dislikes. They won't do much to communicate how much you, as an individual, might enjoy a show, especially when stripped of any kind of qualitative description.

When I think of stuff like this, I get reminded of Gothicmade, an anime film by Five Star Stories director Mamoru Nagano which did great in the Newtype character and show polls despite opening in like, ten theaters and then fading away without ever getting a home release.

TrueBlue

Girlish Number 9

I'm impressed how the show manages to portray Chitose and Kuzu, who not that likeable at all, as strangely sympathetic. Even after everything, I want them to be alright at the end.

I feel this is because the issues they're going through are real - they're just responding to them in a selfish and self-destructive way. I want to see them get back on to the right path, and I feel the show should be applauded for that.

I think Girlish Number is a dark horse for the year, in all honesty. It shouldn't win, but I think it could be considered to be in the upper echelon, assuming it sticks the landing.

On MAL, 106,899 members scored Tales of Zestria the X an average of 7.6, making it the 16th best-scored show of the summer on that site.

That isn't to say that MAL's rankings are necessarily worth any more or less than AnimeChartz or whatever. But any community is going to have its own quirks, likes, and dislikes. They won't do much to communicate how much you, as an individual, might enjoy a show, especially when stripped of any kind of qualitative description.

When I think of stuff like this, I get reminded of Gothicmade, an anime film by Five Star Stories director Mamoru Nagano which did great in the Newtype character and show polls despite opening in like, ten theaters and then fading away without ever getting a home release.

I know it depends on the community, I think ANN had it at 17? I was just responding because I knew the ones *criticising * probably didn't even watch it. AT liked it because it was good, that's all.

Hey those seasonal ranking stuff on MAL are pretty cool!
--------------------------
Speaking of possible top 10, I mostly chose mine

in no order yet.

My Hero Academia
Haikyu*
Poco’s Udon World*
Occultic;Nine*
Tales of Zestiria
Tanaka-kun
Gundam IBO*
Ajin
World Trigger
Twin star exorcist
*these could change depending on the end of the season.

I liked a bunch of stuff, so leaving Durarara, Mob and Assassination classroom out is pretty hard.

Quasar

With these lists being posted, I looked at my MAL to see if I could easily list my shows from this year to create a short list.

Did some filtering of my list. Turns out (including this seasons shows I'm watching) I completed 46 things from this year. Which kind of surprised me as I felt I watched way less than that. Of course that includes OVAs, movies,etc. Though it also does not include shows that cross years.

It does continue my slide though. I completed 49 things last year, and somehow 71 things the year before.

AotY-GAF failed me in voting for Kill la Kill, twice.

With that said anime I enjoyed this year were
- Erased
- Kiznaiver

I haven't finished Re:Zero yet and will prolly watch the new WIXOSS since I'm on a WIXOSS marathon already. As for films I haven't watched Kimi no na wa yet but I'm predicting I'm really gonna enjoy it once a BR releases. Haha I watched alot of stuff this year but dropped shows either due to being busy with RL crap or the shows bored me, and I don't like putting up shows I didn't finish in an AoTY list. Now for a Worst Anime of the Year list I would gladly put said shows up there.

Cornbread78

Magical Girl Raising Prohect ep.11
So, how did they kill
Cranberry
again? Also, where was the other twin? Those deaths just didn't play out well.. Not sure how they plan on closing this out at this point..

Thud

Tiger Mask W10

That was a nice fight. Fukuwara Mask commenting on the match was brilliant.

Tiger missing some killer moves and he gets to try it out before his next match. I also think that would be a great way to end this cour with the Tigers fighting each other. Not sure how many episodes we're gonna get. Seeing it's a toei production it can go on for a year.

Dragon Ball Super 70

Yamcha's still useless. Except for getting that one point.

Apparently Goku is gonna die again next episode.

3 Lions 9 Cats

Yeah this one of those things the series has to offer. Getting to know the opponents Rei faces. As a consequence Rei gets some development as he grows as a person. We'll see more of that down the line.

I wasn't surprised to see that cat song again. They didn't cover all the positions in the previous two. I'd call it at a case of bad timing in this adaption.

Sterok

So, how did they kill
Cranberry
again? Also, where was the other twin? Those deaths just didn't play out well.. Not sure how they plan on closing this out at this point..

Tama used her digging powers to dig through Cranberry's chest. Or explode it in this case, because that's how her powers work?
The other twin was killed by Cranberry last episode, so there are only 3 characters left.

Kagewani: Shou and Garo Crimson Moon are easily the most disappointing shows I watched this year.

Also 2016 was apparently the year where Studio Bones made a good sequel to a bad show.

2016 was weird.

It's more like they did a great sequel to an ok first season. The first arc of BSD s2 is pretty amazing.

Studio Bones did very good this year.

1. Rakugo
2. Mob Psycho 100
3. Diamond is Unbreakable
4. The Great Passage
5. Love Live Sunshine
6. Dragon Ball Super
7. Galko-chan
8. Space Patrol Luluco
9. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarō
10. HEYBOT!

edit: forgot Gintama so knock something off the list

1. Kizumonogatari I
2. Your Name

Honorable Mentions - Thunderbolt Fantasy, Shin Godzilla, Kiznaiver, Eupho S2, Yuri on Ice, Flip Flappers, Dagashi Kashi, Girlish Number, Ojisan to Marshmallow, Tiger Mask W, Haikyu

Most disappointing - Kagewani Shou, Erased, Kiznaiver, Danganronpa 3, Kabaneri, Eupho S2 and Flip Flappers probably
Show I wasted the most time on - RE:Zero
Show I wished I liked but I don't - KonoSuba
Best show nobody watched - Tonkatsu DJ Agetarō HEYBOT!
Most hyped for next year - Kizumonogatari II, Kizumonogatari III, Little Witch Academia, Gintama, Rakugo S2
Where the FUCK are you - Symphogear S4/S5, Zokuowarimonogatari

Wanderer5

My possible top 10 for now going by which season they are from (or started):

Winter
Please Tell Me! Galko-chan

Spring
Bungo Stray Dogs
Flying Witch
Kiznaiver
Space Patrol Luluco

Summer
Mob Psycho 100
91 Days
Orange
Sweetness and Lightning

Fall

Sound! Euphonium 2

Probably won't change, beside maybe bumping off Galko-chan for something else. Still not sure about Thunderbolt Fantasy beyond a honorable mention.

Split cours count as two series now ?

Yeah I wondered about that too, since both cours are in the same year, so eh. Otherwise I just bump off BSD part 1 even through I didn't think it was bad.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

3. Boku no Hero Academia
4. Bungou no Stray Dogs
7. Kiznaiver
----------------------
Summer top10

I guess Tanaka-kun wasn't listless after all.

"Dragon Ball" Spin-Off Imagines a World Where Yamcha Totally Rules

Shueisha's Shōnen Jump Plus digital manga magazine has begun publication of a new comic that re-imagines Yamcha as the conquering hero in Akira Toriyama's classic manga, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.

The series is entitled Dragon Ball Gaiden: Tensei-shitara Yamcha Datta Ken ("Dragon Ball Side Story: The Case of Being Reincarnated as Yamcha"), and it is written and illustrated by Dragon Garow Lee based on original work by Akira Toriyama.

The story of the series involves an ordinary high school boy who after an accident finds himself reincarnated in the body of Yamcha in the world of the Dragon Ball comics. Using his knowledge of what comes later in the manga, the young man trains hard to transform Yamcha into the strongest hero around.

they know

Quasar

Well...I have a shortlist of shows.

Great Passage
Sound! Euphonium! S2
Natsume Yuujinchou Go
Poco's Udon World
Snow White with Red Hair S2
Sweetness and Lightning
Battery
Erased
Flying Witch
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
Alderamin on the Sky
Orange
Galko-chan
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Foodwars S2

Now to spend some time ruminating to whittle it down and order it. Maybe also take a another look at some missing shows like New Game, ReLife and Macross Delta.

Drifters 1-6

Huh, so the Black King is likely
Jesus
. Things are definitely going to be interesting later on. Also kinda surprised that they killed off
Hitler
prior to the events of the story. Seems like a character perfect for this show.

This is series is pretty fun. The humor is the weakest part, but I'm still entertained overall.

Moaradin

1. Mob Psycho
2. Hailyuu Season 2 and 3
3. Gintama (was the serious arcs this year? I forgot)
4. JoJo DIU
5. Rakugo

the rest i dunno

Aki-at

I'm not 100% set on it yet, but for what I've watched it's been a decent year, stronger than 2015 overall but the best in 2015 I enjoyed more than the best this year.

1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
2. Mob Psycho 100
3. Tanaka-kun is always listless
< Thunderbolt Fantasy goes here
4. Assassination Classroom S2
5. Grimgar
6. Girlish Number
7. Kuromukuro
8. Erased
9. Flying Witch
10. 91 Days

Only think is dead set is the top 3 (Though depending on how JoJo continues, it might exchange places with Mob Psycho 100)

Best anime movie of the year was Shin Gojira.

duckroll

I'm sorry people but I thought we already explained it in advance. AOTY TV is Thunderbolt Pupperty, and AOTY Movie is Shin Evazilla. It is known.

zulux21

hmmm what shows do I consider good from this year (in no order)
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (TV) 2nd Season
Boku dake ga Inai Machi
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
Boku no Hero Academia
Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara
ReLIFE
Mob Psycho 100
Yuri!!! on Ice

shows I should to finish before AOTY voting
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar*
Saiki Kusuo no &#936;-nan *
Orange*
Handa-kun*
91 Days*
Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin*
Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
Nanbaka*

* shows with this are ones I am watching dubbed, some of them are fully dubbed some are still ongoing

Shows that I won't finish this year and thus could be in the running when I get to them years from now but won't be included.
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai (im just gonna wait for the english dub)
Magi: Sinbad no Bouken (TV) (need to catch up on the rest of magi first)

shows that I want to like but don't feel they are very good.
Drifters

and the winner for the most over rated show by gaf that is really a piece of garbage
Kiznaiver
:p

I'm sorry people but I thought we already explained it in advance. AOTY TV is Thunderbolt Pupperty, and AOTY Movie is Shin Evazilla. It is known.

thunderbolt would be on my need to finish list if it was anime :p

Quasar

Interestingly looking through my MAL that I only completed 2 shows from this year with more than 13 episodes. Macross Delta and Muco!!!!!!!. Everything else is 13 or less. Long shows really are dead (to me at least).

Disappointments of the year:

Mob Psycho 100
Garo Crimson Moon
Gundam IBO
Thundebolt Fantasy (Not anime, also uses puppets and puppets are creepy af)
Macross Delta

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Before I even consider my AotY, I first have to actually remember what it is I even watched this year ha ha.

JulianImp

So, how did they kill
Cranberry

Seriously, this show was a big bunch of nothing. I still don't get how they managed to craft a series were I was never able to give a damn about any single character, and those that were even slightly entertaining got killed while the survivors were limited to the most boring and underdeveloped characters out there.

Snow White got so little screen time I almost forgot she was supposed to be the main character of the show, and her character development so far has been limited to not wanting to fight and getting away with it while everybody but her is killing and getting killed.

The writing's just laughable... like, how the hell did the scenario writers not come up with any better narrative devices for developing the characters than creating ham-fisted expository flashbacks that were only shown to the audience? The way not a single character has actually been developed during the events portrayed in the show makes things even more stupid, since the only development we actually got was "Swim Swim is an ammoral, devious monster" and "everybody and their mother entrutst their hopes to Snow White, who does absolutely nothing". We could've been treated to Snow White struggling to come to terms with what was going on and finally doing something about it, but instead we are told she cares a whole lot about people she's barely ever met and knows nothing about such as freaking Sister Nana.

Just to try and make sense out of this mess, let me attempt to summarize the events so far:
  • Snow White becomes a magical girl, meets up with La Pucelle, a magical boy she was friends with a long time ago
  • Fab introduces the dropout game
  • Nemurin drops out... from life (oh, the twist!)
  • Swim Swim is unwittingly encouraged by Nemurin to overthrow (read: kill) Ruler
  • Cranberry fails to kill Winterprison, but manages to kill La Pucelle
  • Magicaloid teams up with Calamity Mary and attempts to kill Snow White, but is killed by the new girl in town, Hardgore Alice
  • Mary tries her darnest to kill Alice, but fails
  • Sister Nana tries to forge an allegiance with Alice, Snow White and Swim Swim
  • Swim Swim sets Nana up, and her cohorts kill Winterprison at the cost of one of the angle twins' lives. Nana commits suicide shortly afterwards
  • Calamity Mary forces Ripple and Top Speed to fight her, and gets killed by them
  • Swim Swim shows up out of nowhere and kills Top Speed (surprise, she was pregnant!). Ripple vows to avenge the one person she could call 'friend'
  • Swim Swim learns about Alice's real identity and kills her
  • Cranberry goes to fight Swim Swim and kills the remaining angel twin
  • The clumsy-as-hell Tama somehow manages to land a sneak attack on Cranberry, killing her
  • Tama also walks into Swim Swim as she was lying unconcious in her normal form, so the latter kills the former to protect her secret identity
Notice how the only thing Snow White ever does by herself is becoming a magical girl at the very start of the show? Like, are you freaking kidding me?!

To me, it looks like the writers wanted to have a reluctant character that got to watch while despair spread around her like Madoka, only they failed to make her matter in the overall plot at all, unlike Madoka Magica. The worst part is the show doesn't even manage to be so-bad-it's-good unlike Big Order or other crappy shows... Magical Girl Raising Project to me is just the dullest, most formulaic and badly written piece of crap show I've watched in years.

Narag

Im sure it'll be hilarious but how much can you realistically do with just knowledge? Many of the hardships are from powerful enemies you gotta defeat, and a human can't ever become that strong.

Unless he somehow stops cell from becoming his perfect form, stops majin buu from being created... What about Frieza arc?

Can't the guy just make smarter wishes with the dragonballs?

Classicaloid 10

This episode didn't really work. The presentation of Chopin as a shut in neet was already only kinda funny, and this episode tried to run off it.

I do like how Beethoven apparently just carries around a crowbar tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom