• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Star Wars Rebels Season 3 so far

It's boring.

The show has three, maybe four, different arcs going on, but it jumps in terror at the thought of committing and delivering on a single one.

Aki-at

Cyber City Oedo 808 Episode 1

Christ, this was awful. From its terrible opening song to the limp finish, this was chock full of all that 80/90's anime "goodness" people misremember, and not in a fun way.

Also why would you build skyscrapers so large they collapse if they ever go offline?

Yeah it's after watching this show (And Angel Cop amongst others) last year that I came to the realisation that when people said the 80/90's anime were badass and so well made compared to what we have now they sort of forgot how bad these animations really were.

Quasar

Yeah it's after watching this show (And Angel Cop amongst others) last year that I came to the realisation that when people said the 80/90's anime were badass and so well made compared to what we have now they sort of forgot how bad these animations really were.

That's why I never look back. I imagine one of the other memorable titles I saw then, Dominion Tank Police, is also actually shitty. I'll stick with my rose coloured childhood memory.

Narag

That's why I never look back. I imagine one of the other memorable titles I saw then, Dominion Tank Police, is also actually shitty. I'll stick with my rose coloured childhood memory.

Oh that was never the greatest. I love it to death but it coasted on the novelty of both A) being something so different from what I'd have on tv and B) being readily available.

Here's the issue I have with Flip Flappers. It seems like there are two shows here. There is the wacky sakuga anthology show about creative art direction and random new designs and set pieces every week, and then there is the character story about the friendship of two girls. So far the former works, and the latter is tanking hard. I don't feel anything for the characters and their relationship is really forced. On the other hand, the dumber the show gets with the scifi story, the more I like it. When Cocona's other friend showed up as part of another group, and they had a stupid ass Xenogears style ominous cult gathering scene, I jumped for joy. More of that and less of trying to have real emotions please, because as far as the writing goes, this is more Panty and Stocking and less Space Dandy. So leave character development to the experts and just stick to being entertaining and dumb.
When this show is being dumb and having silly adventures it is great. I'd be totally fine if the show was just these adventures and not this silly history shit from both of their pasts.

Come on guys, don't you wanna know more about Salt?

dr_salt.jpg

I mean who wants colorful fun adventures when we could learn his backstory?

Jarmel

Banned

Oh that was never the greatest. I love it to death but it coasted on the novelty of both A) being something so different from what I'd have on tv and B) being readily available.

Dominion Tank Police is good. Shame on both of you.

He got an entire settlement killed because of his actions.

I thought I got his character archetype down as the brash, royalty dude that talks a lot but has some skill to back it up. Turns out this dude is just an absolute idiot. Gets his whole unit killed and a whole bunch of innocent folks from the settlement as well. I sure hope he doesn't get away with things like this.

Jarmel

Banned
I recall you being tepid on it!

I digged up my original reviews to make sure I'm not talking out of my ass. I liked the first two episodes of the OG Dominion Tank Police and didn't like the remaining two. I really liked New Dominion Tank Police though. Not-Noa and Not-Alphonse are always a plus.

John Blade

Dominion Tank Police is an okay show. I did an impression of the show when I watch it the 1st time. If I remember correctly, the 1st half of the show is more action and lack the story punch which might be fine but the other half is where they try to talk about in detail about the villain and how he become of what he is. Kinda an interesting take but very sudden change from the 1st half. Still, a decent OVA to watch but won't surprise not many people will like it.

Oh, New Dominion Tank Police is a fun show to watch for not only for action but the story as well if I remember it from the last time I watch it.

Narag

I digged up my original reviews to make sure I'm not talking out of my ass. I liked the first two episodes of the OG Dominion Tank Police and didn't like the remaining two. I really liked New Dominion Tank Police though. Not-Noa and Not-Alphonse are always a plus.

I really need to go back and revisit New Dominion. I hated it back in the day but hell if I remember why. Did you ever end up checking out the manga? For some reason, I think the second one would gel with you since it's more about Leona dealing with how much of a pain in the ass her job is.

Dominion Tank Police is an okay show. I did an impression of the show when I watch it the 1st time. If I remember correctly, the 1st half of the show is more action and lack the story punch which might be fine but the other half is where they try to talk about in detail about the villain and how he become of what he is. Kinda an interesting take but very sudden change from the 1st half. Still, a decent OVA to watch but won't surprise not many people will like it.

Oh, New Dominion Tank Police is a fun show to watch for not only for action but the story as well if I remember it from the last time I watch it.

I imagine the second half being like that is because the OVA is sort of a prequel to the original manga hence Greenpeace having a strange scene without explanation yet serving as someone fairly important in the manga.

Jarmel

Banned
I really need to go back and revisit New Dominion. I hated it back in the day but hell if I remember why. Did you ever end up checking out the manga? For some reason, I think the second one would gel with you since it's more about Leona dealing with how much of a pain in the ass her job is.

Destruction of public and private property is my fetish.

https://sakugabooru.com/data/3d1649713bebe5e9cdc3280a3a2f4db3.webm

I haven't read the manga but the second one sounds interesting. I might give that a read as a way of brushing up on Shirow in prep for the GitS movie.

Natsume Go 10
1X2feCb.jpg

Man, it's been so long I've completely forgotten how he even met Nyanko-sensei.
This was a really heartwarming episode. There have been a lot of youkai-of-the-week episodes in this season, so a character-focused episode, especially on Shigeru and Touko, really makes for a nice change of pace. And it's a really nice change of pace, showing their life before Natsume when they only had each other, and their background presence waiting for him to open up for them, and Touko's quiet acceptance that Natsume sees things she can't.

Narag

vRyIEQX.png

Now duckroll can start banning peeps for not watching Key the Metal Idol like how I was banned for not watching Shin Godzilla.

also kyouwhatever bds in feb

blurr

GAF hates(maybe hated?) it. But I love it. And thankfully they fixed the initial, rough version. That song makes me so excited every time.

Ice Skating and the song go well with each other in general but yea, it could definitely be better visually at least.

Narag

Mob Psycho 100 6

Positively enamored with the show as this one was so good as well. Perfect followup to Mob vs Teru and their clash of views as it's such a contrast with how easily Ritsu went along with the student council president as their mutual conflict of living in the shadow (real or imagined) of their siblings drove them to lash out as they did. There's a bit of great character work in the ep too with the call back of the dinner scene of episode 1. In that first episode, we're in Mob's POV and Ritsu fixing the bent spoon spoke volumes about their characterization yet come episode 6, we see the same sort of thing from Ritsu's POV. However this time he makes no effort to assist his little brother, instead we're in his head so after Mob bends the spoon his gaze is fixed only upon Mob's bent spoon before the lingering first person shot of his own spoon as his mother tells Mob he should be more like Ritsu and Mob agrees while praising him. The focus on the spoon reinforces how impotent Ritsu feels compared to Mob due to Mob's power and the accompanying unblinking stare evokes a sense of singleminded purpose such that he doesn't fully comprehend that the praise Mob sings for him is actually a manifestation of Mob's own envy as Ritsu has the life Mob longs for.

Quasar

Natsume Yuujinchou Go 10 - Nice. A nice episode from Toukas POV. Maybe I've just forgotten, but I didn't actually expect it to be Shigeru who drove the adoption. Assumed it was Touka.

Cornbread78

Time to for a School Days thread watch for nostalgia's sake.
(please no)

Yeah no.. Strong sexual content in not something for casual viewers.... Although, that final episode twist could be fun, lol.

Actually, I am would be nice... I wonder if they will ever adapt more of the manga?

Kyuur

Eureka Seven 1-43

This show is a god damn mess. Low lows and the few fantastic moments don't really feel deserved (with some exceptions). The story material, designs, music, VA-- everything, is the marking of a great series but the execution fails. It feels like whoever planned the series really had no idea where they were taking it, possibly hinging on whether they would be renewed past each cour or something.

The first cour was relatively inoffensive and towards the end pretty good setup that got me excited for the rest of the series. Slice of life moments prove to be much better than the actual action and plot, with the cast's day to day being the only thing that really separates it from being any other old boring mecha clone. We then dive into must-be-Evangelion-inspired moments at the end to cement its uniqueness and amp up the intrigue to 11. Unfortunately it also marks the beginning of the series' obsession with using its technobabble to obfuscate plot from the main character and viewer for absolutely no reason with the introduction of a "Coralion" -- there is even a gag about this where Renton repeatedly asks what the hell it is, which was funny at the time but not so much in retrospect.

On to the second cour, the first batch of episodes (up to and including 20) were incredibly disappointing. Renton and Eureka have their respective post-Zone breakdowns, which is fine -- what really kills it is Holland and Talho. We suffer through 7 episodes of the same rote, repetitive interactions (and inaction) with these two, which honestly made me hate their characters. Particularly tragic for Talho who had some semblance of personality before despite my thinking her purpose was mainly to be some sort of proto-Yoko fan service machine. The rest of the characters aren't particularly better, really only serving as relief from the shitstorm or displaying their own inaction. Luckily, we eventually get to episode 21 where Renton finally runs away from the shit hole that is the Gekko -- I should mention that the scene that causes this was really well done, props to the animators. From here things get back on track: with Renton gone everyone gets some actual character development and we get introduced to Charles and Ray who breath life back into the cast. The way they handle the eventual reveal to the main character is much more human than whatever the fuck they were doing with the folks aboard the Gekko beforehand and the ensuing conflict is much more painful (in a good way) thanks to it. 26 closes off with one of the best sequences in any series, and then they ruin it by killing Charles instead of Holland in 27.

After dealing with the aftermath of Charles/Ray the third cour decides to take a trip to the land of infodumps. Not that I'm particularly complaining at this point -- we've gone far too long without vital information, but I would have preferred somewhat more of a slow drip. They "fix" the Holland/Talho issue by practically just nuking their characters without any regard for development into more tolerable ones -- again, not complaining but. This also makes what would have been a really sweet moment (the rings in 34) feel undeserved. For the most part this cour is just generic: Dewey is a laughable villain, new technobabble is relatively uninteresting after the infodumps on what was set up from earlier, stakes feel low. 36 and 38 are nice returns to SoL shenanigans. 39 was just bad.

So far the last stretch is proving to be much better. Hopefully the ending proves worth my time, as it stands its been fun and good in spots but I'm not sure I could recommend it to anyone due to inconsistency.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
RUQh0n8.jpg

First look at Kirakira Precure's characters. Pick your poison. Yup, they all have animal ears/tails.

duckroll

For sure, that episode was fantastic.

I didn't really appreciate how the next opening took advantage of it though.

OP3 has an... interesting story behind it. It's a solo work by a well known animator who has a very distinct style which many people tend to consider "bad art". So I guess conceptually it was just "what would this scene look like if he animated it" but there was a ton of backlash and got "corrected" to look a little more on model. So it just looks like a kinda boring recreation of the scene, except... I guess it's kind of a one take shot?

Oh I've seen the screenshots. Please be excited for episode 8.

I watched ep3 and have nothing interesting to say about it at the moment. Got through 2/3 of ep4 before I was falling asleep again and had to stop. This show is -really- bad at holding my attention for something that is so pretty and features so much talent I love. Even Pablo backgrounds! :/

Narag

I watched ep3 and have nothing interesting to say about it at the moment. Got through 2/3 of ep4 before I was falling asleep again and had to stop. This show is -really- bad at holding my attention for something that is so pretty and features so much talent I love. Even Pablo backgrounds! :/

I think I might have jumped onboard early if the first impressions weren't so scattershot. Recent impressions on both here and twitter has me in little hurry to start it when I still have Mob Psycho 100, Kuromukuro, and Rakugo finish!

@Dominion Tank Police talk

While it's still a 'minor' Shirow work, I think the original manga is better than both anime versions. Check it out.

Also read Orion, it's a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom