• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

It's a shame that is seems Flip-Flappers crashed and burned. It was a series I was really looking forward to before the season started but I just didn't much time for anime these months so I was going to catch the show during the holidays. Clearly I shouldn't bother right now :/
Just watch the good episodes.

RainForce

Banned
I have nothing against a well made 1:1 adaptation, but I feel that being 1:1 does not necessarily make it a well made adaptation, which is the point. In the end, the work has to be able to express itself well in the medium it is in and feel like it has something to say. What works on a page doesn't always work on screen. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. If every adaptation is 1:1 with no consideration of that, there will still be good and bad outcomes by the luck of the draw alone. But there will always be something missing. Beyond just being a good or a serviceable adaptation, the best adaptations are those where the people adapting it have something of their own to say to complement their understanding of what they are adapting. Without that human element, what's the point?

How are we defining 1:1 adaptations here? In terms of content and pacing Mob Psycho is a 1:1 adaptation.

Gvitor

I miss anime.

I really need to catch up with this season, I've stopped all of what I was watching save for Eupho and Haikyuu, and, uh, Pokémon Sun & Moon, which has been surprisingly good.

That has the worst art direction of a show I'm sort of curious about in the coming season. Backgrounds are straight up C-tier flat shit. :/

Ha ha, uh oh.

They're not Pablo's best work, but that's a little much.

How are we defining 1:1 adaptations here? In terms of content and pacing Mob Psycho is a 1:1 adaptation.

It's not 1:1, because it does not stick strictly to main manga material. (I'm not sure what 1:1 pacing means here?)

duckroll

That was a response to a question as to whether I felt that anime adaptations with the same content as the manga is inherently poor. My response is that it isn't inherently poor but should not be the main aim of any adaptation. I have no interest in specifically defining what 1:1 means because like I said, it's really not the thing that is important to me.

Ha ha, uh oh.

They're not Pablo's best work, but that's a little much.

Yeah when I saw your post my first thought was "oh no thisisneogaf.gif" lol. What can I say, I was reallllly not impressed by that PV lol.

Yeah when I saw your post my first thought was "oh no thisisneogaf.gif" lol. What can I say, I was reallllly not impressed by that PV lol.

I can understand that; what bothered me was the look of the character designs in motion as well as a lot of bizarre framing. Overall I think ACCA 13 looks a bit undercooked production-wise.

I meant other than some of episode 1. Outside of that, it's essentially the panels lifted from the manga and converted to the anime art style.

Nope.

jgminto

Monster is the only anime I've seen that could be called 1:1 at least from the parts I've directly compared. It's shot for shot for the final volume I own. It completely works there though.

RainForce

Banned

Looks like you're right. While some of that doesn't go against how I would define a 1:1 adaptation (same content, just animated), cutting out stuff like the Psycho Helmet Cult and other stuff definitely fits. Though regarding episode 2, despite the reordering, I just checked and yeah the second half is the same in the anime as it is in the manga.

Monster is the only anime I've seen that could be called 1:1 at least from the parts I've directly compared. It's shot for shot for the final volume I own. It completely works there though.
It's not like it's anything special in direction or animation from what I recall. It's just my HBO Anime.

I should watch it again.

TUSR

Banned
Next season looks okay (Its ~3 weeks away).

Little Witch Academia (TV)
Gintama
GRANBLUE FANTASY The Animation
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maidragon
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen

Kizumonogatari III: Reiketsu-hen
SWORD ART ONLINE Movie: Ordinal Scale

jonjonaug

Winter 2017 animes

Must watch, can't see myself dropping unless something goes horribly wrong: Little Witch Academia TV, Rakugo season 2, Maid Dragon (this is the first time I've been excited for a Kyoani anime in like a decade)

Will watch and probably keep up with (basically the "this could be good, hope it doesn't suck" category): Youjo Senki, Chaos;Child

Jeez, this season is pretty dire for original anime. Just LWA looks worth looking into I tihink, and that's already a sequel of an existing thing.

duckroll

I'll probably just watch Rakugo S2, and wait for LWA on Netflix. SAO movie of course. It better be screening worldwide as promised. Sony stores are shilling the FUCK out of it here. I was in one the other day and every single HDTV was playing the trailer on loop.

Line_HTX

I'm probably going to sound super ignorant here, but I honestly always thought a conductor is just there as backup in case the orchestra forgot their cues or whatever, and that the quality of a performance comes from the orchestral arrangement of a piece that is practised by the orchestra befoerhand.

Fuck I feel stupid and uncultured just typing that. Kill me now.

You should at least see Taki-sensei in Euphonium!

:p

jonjonaug

Oh yeah and Rewrite Moon/Terra is happening. I keep forgetting that it's real and not a joke. Not sure if I'll watch the whole thing, but I might just watch the first few episodes to laugh at how much of a trainwreck trying to adapt Moon turns into.

EDIT: Like, there's so many nutty things in Moon that only work in text, the game doesn't even try to provide artwork for a good chunk of it (you either get a black screen or psychedelic shapes).

Line_HTX

So far, the only thing I'm looking forward to is Konosuba 2. I guess I could watch Ordinal Scale. S3 when, haha

I don't know much about Granblue. I know a little bit from Shadowverse, but that's more Bahamut than anything and I have never seen Bahamut.

Wanderer5

Blue Exorcist, Little Witch Academia (that might not even be simulcast here in NA?), and think that is it lol. I might get a couple older shows done then.

Oh yeah there Yamishibai too.XD

KraytarJ

Keijo 11
Buttack on Titan

Flip Flappers 11
What even happened in that episode? It's rare for something that moves so quickly to be so boring, like why even wait until episode 11 to finally put some backstory in and then why just force all of it into like half an episode and then pile on a new villain out of nowhere while also completely removing and never bothering to explain the ones that were around for the first 10 episodes and also did anyone other than Cocona, Yayaka, or Papika have any relevance to the plot? Who was that underground lab and why do they all suck? Who were that weird organization? I thought this show was getting better but it seems like we're right back to the early days where shit was made up as it went along and there was little actual plot and what was there was terrible.

jgminto

I'll probably avoid any show with Nazi-like imagery, which might not be what they're going for with ACCA but I don't need that shit right now.

My watch list will be Gintama, Rakugo, LWA and Yowamushi Pedal.

Wanderer5

I honestly have no idea what ACCA is even about.

Well there a summary and all.:p

"The kingdom of Dowa, which is subdivided into 13 states, is celebrating its monarch's 99th birthday. These 13 states have many agencies that are controlled by the giant organization known as ACCA. Within ACCA, Jean Otis is the second-in-command of the inspection agency. His agency has ten people placed in each of the 13 states, with a central office in the capital city. They keep track of all the activities of ACCA across the kingdom, and keep data on each state's ACCA office flowing toward the central office. Jean also often has business trips from the capital to the other districts to check on the situation and personnel there.

Well guess there is that. There some good people working on this from the looks of it, but well, don't know if the manga is good, nor do I recognize Natsume Ono.

duckroll

I stopped reading after the third line because it was like reading a bad Wikipedia summary of some JRPG rather than a synopsis of a story. :p

Wanderer5

Hm with Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Impure King coming around the corner, I should probably at least re-read the manga up to around there as a re-refresher for some little details. Still a bit curious of how they are going to go through with this, given how the anime went its own way by around Ep 16 ish, and there would be some major changes needed to be made, including a lot of character development. I hope they are screwing the anime original stuff through lol, and seeing a particular character's appearance, it sure looks to be the case.

Sölf

Winter does indeed not look that interesting.

- LWA
- Gintama
- ACCA
- Chaos;Child
- Granblue Fantasy
- Kono Suba S2
- Youjo Senki

And that's already it with things that interest me at all. Considering we will probably watch at least 2-3 of those shows during our stream, there is not much left.

AKB0048 1
8qY2Oz2.jpg
I thought I knew what I was getting into, but it's so much more ridiculous than I was expecting. That entire opening concert being raided by military, then being fought off by idols themselves during their performance, while all of it is done completely straight and serious. I just can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom