• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Drifters OT is up:

gBjFcFI.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=219262793#post219262793

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In that scene that man was suffering from excessive blood to the head. So much so that his head couldn't contain it anymore and the pressure literally burst it off his body.

By complete coincidence another man just happened to be strolling by while swinging his sword giving the impression he beheaded him.

Cornbread78

In that scene that man was suffering from excessive blood to the head. So much so that his head couldn't contain it anymore and the pressure literally burst it off his body.

By complete coincidence another man just happened to be strolling by while swinging his sword giving the impression he beheaded him.

That is some hardcore deductive reasoning there.

blurr

Code Geass R2 ep.22
Wait, what? How the.... Something is messed up here; that's just not right.... Baka Lelouch, baka baka baka..

hahaha oh this was lovely

Code Geass R2 END
I knew it, I fucking knew it. That bastard did it. Although, I thought it was going to be
a double suicide with C.C
I was a little off, but I was actually a little sad at that last scene. Oh well, let it begin anew.

Pretty badass series, but not as crazy as everyone made it out to be. Well, that Euphy scene will resonate with me forever, lol. Either way, I'm going to miss my time with Lelouch, time to move on.

Nice.

I should get to watching Eupho S2 now that I'm back home and caught up with the thread.

JulianImp

君の名は (Your name)
At first I was expecting it have a more inconsequential plot like Kokoro Connect, but I think the PV and the starting scene should've reminded me otherwise. That didn't detract from it at all though, as I found myself pretty involved and moved by the hardships the two main characters had to go through.

The thought of having memories dissappear as if they were dreams is an existential issue I have pondered before, so having them forget each other after trying so hard not to do so was pretty rough on me, to the point I actually wished for them to be together unlike what happened to the main couple in 5cm/s. The way more fantastic set-up helped tie (sorry) things together, and led to a conclussion that made me smile despite my general hatred for the red string of fate as a trope in general (I guess I only hate it when I find it's being misused).

Sasuga Shinkai, backgrounds were awesome and things looked really good overall. It was a sight for sore eyes after the weekly show-tier animation that Digimon Tri had. I think I spotted Mitsuha and Yotsuha were rendered in CG when they were doing the ritual dance in the early bits of the movie, but other than that nothing stood out as weird or off (I'm more than used to CG cars by now).

If anyone still hasn't seen it by now and has the chance to do so, I'd recommend that they do ASAP, because it's just that good.

...And now as a return to form...

I was bored/kind of skipped Motto too. Only got interesting when Momo took over. Though i kind of lost interest with the whole Yami storyline.

And boy she did... Of course the whole Yami-Mea-Nemesis-Tearju crap was boring, but we should praise TLR:D for at least trying to come up with an excuse for even more Rito shenanigans, as opposed to the absolutely inconsequential "Lala invents thing ---> Thing malfunctions ---> ??? ---> Rito falls into (at least one) girls' crotch" shtick that was the sole basis for the previous seasons, and reused to the point of boredom.

...With Darkness it's more like "Momo doing lewd things with Rito in his sleep ---> Yami-related plot ---> ??? ---> Rito falls into (at least one) girls' crotch", which could be called an improvement. Maybe.

Cornbread78

Flip Flappers ep.1
5HvamLx.gif

Umm, I have no idea what the hell I just watched, but I did have a smile on my face at the end of it all, so that is worth something! It reminds me of one of those adventure books you read as a kid. I'm assuming they are going to use an "adventure of the week" formula for the show? I wonder if they will create a central plot and/or story to go along with it?

Copper

Flip Flappers ep.1

Umm, I have no idea what the hell I just watched, but I did have a smile on my face at the end of it all, so that is worth something! It reminds me of one of those adventure books you read as a kid. I'm assuming they are going to use an "adventure of the week" formula for the show? I wonder if they will create a central plot and/or story to go along with it?

Did you watch after the ending? There's a scene that sets up the story for the next episode.

Flip Flappers 1:

This was definitely a visual showcase. Excellent usage of color throughout, building up the tone of each scene with the way the color palette changed, strong shading, excellent art, and much more. The character art was also really good, with some really expressive faces at key moments. There was some really great and very stylistic animation on display, too. And that's to say nothing of the music. It was very quiet throughout much of the episode, but it contributed a lot of the mood of each scene. I was really impressed with how atmosphere the whole episode was.

Story wise, it's a good start, with some intriguing stuff happening in the background, and a good introduction to both of the protagonists and their relationship. We learn a lot about Cocona just by observing her face, seeing her interactions with everyone else, etc. She doesn't really say a whole lot during most of these scenes, but I still feel like I understand her really well. I'm interested to see what happens next with the way the episode ended.

Cornbread78

Did you watch after the ending? There's a scene that sets up the story for the next episode.

Yeah, that was a weird tonal shift that felt kind of out of place with the prior 23 mins of the first episode though... I mean, everytime that guy was on screen, they did show a possible dark underbelly to the show, however, I appreciate the bright, adventurous and lighthearted aspect of the show much more.... The same for that creature, which was painted in a darker tone as well, but that was during the adventure.
I'm assuming the dark guy went a little overboard is trying to talk to her about the crystal and the girl...

I'm so sick of kidnapping shit, lol

Yeah, that was a weird tonal shift that felt kind of out of place with the prior 23 mins of the first episode though... I mean, everytime that guy was on screen, they did show a possible dark underbelly to the show, however, I appreciate the bright, adventurous and lighthearted aspect of the show much more.... The same for that creature, which was painted in a darker tone as well, but that was during the adventure.
I'm assuming the dark guy went a little overboard is trying to talk to her about the crystal and the girl...

I'm so sick of kidnapping shit, lol

I don't think it's out of line at all with the previous 23 minutes. The episode begins with a scene with really muted colors and somber background music, that guy is shown hidden in the shadows (literally) within the first minute of the show, and pretty much the whole first half of the episode has a really atmospheric and somewhat melancholic feel to it. It's only in the second half that things really get pretty energetic and light, and even then
it shifts into a more serious bit once Papika is going to try and get Cocona's glasses back, complete with really heavy shading, darker colors and music, and a very real sense of peril for the characters.

Flip Flappers goes through a lot of different visual styles and tones throughout the episode, but I'm not sure there was ever more than 3 minutes that you could describe as "bright, adventurous and lighthearted".

JulianImp

My AirBnB room's 25 KB/s connection is the only thing that's actually bad about it, but man it does annoy me, since I only get to watch CR episodes when I'm visiting a McDonald's or Starbucks and can use their Wi-Fi for high-speed access. My SIM data plan has a cap of 2GB for my whole stay in Japan, so I can't actually splurge over ten days' worth of bandwidth budget to watch a single episode of an anime.

Cornbread78

I don't think it's out of line at all with the previous 23 minutes. The episode begins with a scene with really muted colors and somber background music, that guy is shown hidden in the shadows (literally) within the first minute of the show, and pretty much the whole first half of the episode has a really atmospheric and somewhat melancholic feel to it. It's only in the second half that things really get pretty energetic and light, and even then
it shifts into a more serious bit once Papika is going to try and get Cocona's glasses back, complete with really heavy shading, darker colors and music, and a very real sense of peril for the characters.

Flip Flappers goes through a lot of different visual styles and tones throughout the episode, but I'm not sure there was ever more than 3 minutes that you could describe as "bright, adventurous and lighthearted".

I think they difference to me is the dichotomy between Cocona & Papika vs. the "illusionary world" and Cocona & Papika vs. other humans
well robots and like I mentioned, kidnapping

Like you mentioned, the color tones used during the show were great and they did an excellent job matching the mood of the characters at the time, however, an adventure is an adventure and there there are "other" interactions....

I guess I'm doing a $hitty job explaining myself here while I work at the same time..

Clov

Loved the first episode of Yuri on Ice! The characters are fun to watch, and the animation during the skating segments is great. I'm looking forward to seeing more. I also watched the first episode of Euphonium S2; it seems like more of the same, but that's not at all a bad thing when it comes to this show. Going to watch Flip Flappers next.

Copper

It drops a lot of subtle hints throughout the episode. I think they did a good balance of light and dark. I think Papika and Cocona do a good job at representing those two sides.

Also the details in this episode are crazy. I didn't even notice this at first.

To be fair, the next episode preview act like the post-credit scene never happened lol.

Aki-at

I really don't know what to watch this season (And general obsession with Puyo Puyo Tetris) but the reviews of Flip Flappers has me interested in checking it out for how off the walls it looks.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Flip Flappers Episode 1:

I feel like it is no coincidence that SDBurton came back during this season because yuri overtones are everywhere. Anyway, this might be my most favored first episode thus far, everything is so colorful and expressive and fanciful and wonderful.

To be fair, the next episode preview act like the post-credit scene never happened lol.

I think
the guys who grabbed Covina at the end there just wanted to get that crystal thing she had. I think that's the "Shard of Mimi", as the show's description says. Since it made Cocona transform and all.

Or perhaps the opening part of episode 2 will have Papika transforming to save her, as another guess.

Cornbread78

Flip Flappers Episode 1:

I feel like it is no coincidence that SDBurton came back during this season because yuri overtones are everywhere. Anyway, this might be my most favored first episode thus far, everything is so colorful and expressive and fanciful and wonderful.

LOL, for realz!

blurr

Hibike Euphonium S2 01

This was well worth the wait and the hype.

I believe I watched Euphonium in the first half of 2015, I didn't watch it as it aired but I saw it as a very neatly presented drama with interesting characters, it didn't take long for the show to invoke nostalgia of my own piano club days in school and the show's depiction of individual dedication set an example not only to the characters of the show itself but even I felt borderline regret for not pushing towards taking the instrument seriously. All of that was revived and remains unchanged in this single episode. Many shows, discourse and reading on anime happened since I last watched S1 and I was pretty excited to see this show in renewed light. It was a visual feast and the magnitude of appeal its character interactions and drama had only amplified.

There's a new set of cast and it seems to touch upon the events of the previous year in school which had Asuka's involvement. Her personality was more than meets the eye right in first season, one of the more realistic characters of the show and it seems this time we're going to see more of her in action which is what I'm most excited about.
I was ecstatic on seeing Monaka group perform in front of them at the beginning, that was a very good sight and no the president's tears were not an exaggeration.

I cannot unsee Taki-sensei as Hosanna after browsing this thread and reading his posts for months.

This was a great shot.

I had no idea Samosas are so famous - Kumiko has good taste! this is right up there with Kabaddi in Durarara heh

Keijo 01

oOafIxi.png

Show was extremely weirdly put together narrative wise but the Keijo matches looked pretty good. Laughed pretty hard at the dumbass techniques

T-Rex.

Banned
Keijo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #1

:lol those ultimate attacks fucking killed me. This show's going to be good fun.

TrueBlue

Sound Euphonium

Just watched the rest of the first season. Will give more detailed impressions later.

Just a question that sorta involves the novels, so I'll spoiler it just in case:

Those Kumiko/Reina scenes in the anime, how many of them are scenes based on the novel? I got the impression that there are a couple of instances where Reina has actually taken Shuichi's place, such as the ending where she and Kumiko are holding hands.

duckroll

Flip Flappers - Episode 1

Once upon a time there was a girl. Then there was another girl. With a surfboard. And a robot. They all consumed 50 tonnes of acid. And they died in a dream.

Once upon a time there was an animator. He said let us make a show. And he said let us draw. Script? What is a script? Animation is animation.

Once upon a time there was a line. The line became a shape. The shape became an outline. The outline became a form. It was beautiful and it moved. No man knew what it was.

FLIP FLAP FLIP FLAP FLIP FLAP.

Jarmel

Banned
Flip Flappers - Episode 1

Once upon a time there was a girl. Then there was another girl. With a surfboard. And a robot. They all consumed 50 tonnes of acid. And they died in a dream.

Once upon a time there was an animator. He said let us make a show. And he said let us draw. Script? What is a script? Animation is animation.

Once upon a time there was a line. The line became a shape. The shape became an outline. The outline became a form. It was beautiful and it moved. No man knew what it was.

FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP

I see this had a profound impact on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom