• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yuri on Ice-1

Yea, I didn't really like this episode at all.

I agree with you in that their introduction of comedic/goofy elements was a mistake, it clashes badly with the rest, and as you say his depressions and doubts about if continue with his career was the most interest part. And I felt a bit robbed when they skipped the part when he got over his depression (it seems some days passed between the day of his skating moment going viral and the previous scene).

However I'm more positive with the show, I think it was enjoyable despite the flaws and remain a bit hopeful for the coming episodes.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Shiki huh?

Synopsis:

Oh, Hmmm... sounds deadly!

Well, I made it, now on to the next one....

What should I be watching now? Action, adventure, drama, maybe some shipping....

It really is trash...! It's a shame because the situational comedy is pretty damn good, but it is close to softcore hentai..
Shiki has drill hairs and that's all you need to know. The end is pretty fucking metal tho.
It has OTPs.

Also softcore hentai is not the word or its synonyms I would use describe that show. If you want a better example, go look up Prison School. I actually don't what I would call it...

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Shiki has drill hairs and that's all you need to know. The end is pretty fucking metal tho.

And volcano beards!

Seriously though, Shiki is great even though it is the slowest of burns to the good stuff, but boy things get nuts. Best horror anime hands down if you ask me(though what is the competition)?

ibyea

Banned
Ace Attorney 6

Just beat it, and it's good. Not amazing, but good. Fun writing, next level pun names, thought it finished on a strong note. The sprite work is really solid. Suffered from some pacing issues, the ost feels a bit limp, and I wish it started stronger. Thankfully tones down the amount of pixel hunts and gimmicky mini-games that in the past felt too prevalent.

I will say, without going into spoilers, I feel the biggest problem with Ace Attorney 6 is how the story treats Maya.

Yeah, it was an enjoyable game. A lot of it is pretty much the Apollo Justice game that I have dreamed of playing. The third case in particular was the best case of the game, not to mention it contains a certain elegance to it that has been missing from Ace Attorney cases for a long time. Although that feels sort of wrong because in all the other games the last case is always the best case!

And yeah, seeing Maya treated that way is annoying. Would it bother them to actually do something novel with her for once? Although I was personally more bothered by Phoenix's character, but that is only because I do really like what they have done with him in Ace Attorney 4, and I feel like so much of that game has been sidelined, as if it never happened.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sound! Euphonium S2 01
This just did not click with me at all. The direction is really just not up to snuff, and it makes the character interactions all feel like they just bounce off each other without resonating. For being a double length episode there sure is not much here that feels remotely memorable or worthwhile. When a story expands to a cast this wide it would help to have a stronger focus, but the needless obfuscation of information winds up further blurring things. This feels especially apparent during the scene where he girl feels sick, and it feels like the audience is ushered away from what is actually happening in the story. Other scenes like the confrontation between the girls and the boys at the festival feel so weak that I can't be sure if the characters are even talking to each other. It is so blasé about every interaction that I have a difficult time caring about any of it.

And from a production standpoint? The sound design is absolutely unacceptable fora show about music. It is a glaring inadequacy when the show asks you to focus on the sound, but the noises of the room don't match the visuals, or the outdoor soundscape goes from zero to single cicada. Cinematography is not on point either, to say the least.

SHarris78

Guys, all this Euphonium talk - I've started watching what i think is season 1 on UK Crunchyroll (it starts in a school hall talking about getting a dud gold?) - I take it season 2 is on US Crunchyroll?

Guys, all this Euphonium talk - I've started watching what i think is season 1 on UK Crunchyroll (it starts in a school hall talking about getting a dud gold?) - I take it season 2 is on US Crunchyroll?

Both seasons are available in the UK and are listed consecutively in the same feed. You should see S2E01 ("Mid-summer Fanfare") after S1E14.

Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On 1

I actually like the CG modeling style seen here. I wonder if Capcom shared any assets from the 3DS game. The integration with the 2D elements is less than perfect, but it's better in the actual episode than the OP. (The OP's CG is done by Mappa whereas the episode's CG is done by IKIF+, and I would say IKIF+ did a better job.)

Of course the real star is all the goofy drawings and energetic characterization. Navirou in particular is great; I was skeptical of him when I first saw his design for the game but here he works as an excellent mascot character:

CuEKcjvWAAAcObC.jpg

CuEKdMQWcAA4xCJ.jpg

CuEUSfcWgAATQXv.jpg

CuEUTTGWIAAbiQ0.jpg

These drawings have the loose cartoony fun that I am also expecting in even greater quantity from Pokemon Sun and Moon. The storytelling here is straightforward, of course, and there's some typical RPG setup with foreshadowing of an awakening evil, but as long as the characters are this fun to watch I'll be in for the long haul. I love the design work for the village and costumes as well.

Szadek

Looking over the new shows this season, I don't think there is any harem show - at least not one with a male protagonist. There are a couple reverse harems (UtaPri, Magic-kyun Renaissance).
That seems to be the case, unless Keijo has a male main character.

I guess all the light novel writers gave up, because they knew that they will never out trash Masou Gakuen HxH and Hundred.

Quasar

Too much Yuri 1 - Nice looking. Dunno how long I'll last with a ice skating sports anime though. Did not expect the comedy, that was definitely a plus for me. Do like Minako.

I've Always Liked You - Hey look an anime movie on CR. This was pretty right up my alley. Surprised it appeared completely unheard of. And what a nice cast.

Watching Luke Cage right now. I'm black and this show is too black for me.
I should finish Narcos and Stranger Things already since I really wanna watch both this and Westworld. Life's too crazy atm though. Hoping I can do it this week on the Thanksgiving long weekend.

There's also Cold Steel 2. Oh and SMTIV:A which I've barely touched. Fml.

Sound! Euphonium S2 01
This just did not click with me at all. The direction is really just not up to snuff, and it makes the character interactions all feel like they just bounce off each other without resonating. For being a double length episode there sure is not much here that feels remotely memorable or worthwhile. When a story expands to a cast this wide it would help to have a stronger focus, but the needless obfuscation of information winds up further blurring things. This feels especially apparent during the scene where he girl feels sick, and it feels like the audience is ushered away from what is actually happening in the story. Other scenes like the confrontation between the girls and the boys at the festival feel so weak that I can't be sure if the characters are even talking to each other. It is so blasé about every interaction that I have a difficult time caring about any of it.

And from a production standpoint? The sound design is absolutely unacceptable fora show about music. It is a glaring inadequacy when the show asks you to focus on the sound, but the noises of the room don't match the visuals, or the outdoor soundscape goes from zero to single cicada. Cinematography is not on point either, to say the least.

While I'm very happy to have Eupho back I gotta agree that this episode's direction really wasn't anything stellar.

Though season 1 was inconsistent, too, with some meh and some fantastic episodes. I'm a bit surprised this first one of S2 isn't a strong start but I still expect plenty good episodes to come.

Quasar

While I'm very happy to have Eupho back I gotta agree that this episode's direction really wasn't anything stellar.

The thing for me I think was the double length and its pacing. It felt off to me somehow. I still loved it, but it felt a little off compared to S1.

jediyoshi

That is saying the least! Specific examples?

Branduil

Though season 1 was inconsistent, too, with some meh and some fantastic episodes. I'm a bit surprised this first one of S2 isn't a strong start but I still expect plenty good episodes to come.

I don't think it's that surprising that it would be weaker since Yamada and a bunch of KyoAni's best animators have been busy with Koe no Katachi. I expect the quality to increase with them back on board.

That's why you always wait until the last minute before seeing if you need to subscribe to another service.

Well, at least I got the 2-week free trial, so I can still cancel without paying, haha.

Flip Flappers - 1

Man, I wasn't expecting the first episode to be so atmospheric. There's a nice contrast with the fact that most of the time throughout this episode when Cocona's alone, everything's all quiet (like, there's just sound effects, no music) and when Papika's on screen everything's all bouncy, bubbly and cartoony.

I like how the first episode mainly focused on showing them meeting and interacting with each other to establish their friendship. I don't know what Pure Illusion is, what that transformation was all about, but I sure am more curious about it now.

Also, that ED was super adorable. I really liked this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom