• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this about watching anime illegally because of an incompetent platform, I know nothing about it as a Canadian!!

You know amazon Canada offers Prime video now right? We even have the great passage.

Shame we still don't have the console app tho...Watching on PC isn't as fun.

Also I survived my exam!! Time to watch some anime.

Cornbread78

I love that shit. I've been thinking about how when humans die all their consciousness is lost and the only thing passed on are genes and memes and how a machine can pass on its information and essentially live forever for half my entire life

Yeah, those are the concepts I want to see more of. Plus, this was a much more "mature" anime than what I've been accustoned to watching, so it was much appreciated.

Quasar

You know amazon Canada offers Prime video now right? We even have the great passage.

You can just download the app from your US app store of choice (assuming you aren't using platforms that Amazon is boycotting like AppleTV, Chromecast or AndroidTV). Thats certainly what I've done.

You can just download the app from your US app store of choice (assuming you aren't using platforms that Amazon is boycotting like AppleTV, Chromecast or AndroidTV). Thats certainly what I've done.
I have none of these and amazon seems to have the ps4 app unavailable for Canada, since I searched everywhere for it. So unless there is a wii u app, I'm out of options for now.

Edit:I guess I could create a US account...

Rainy

Banned
Kamisama Hajimemashita 2-3

Tomoe saying a human and spirit can't be a couple. Like we don't already know where this is going..

zulux21

Because I hate myself and have too much time on my hands, I finally made a MAL.

Here is the monument to all my sins: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Jexhius

UgeBEl2.png

heh... not to surprising :p

Jex

holy crap. my mean anime score is lower then Jexhius', but I've given out 2x more 10s then he has

You gotta hold onto those 10's.

And watch less bad anime!
I just flat out never give scores, even to 10's or 0's
So no comparability metrics for me ever

A fine approach to take. I basically scored everything in a very arbitrary fashion because I was in a rush to get it finished.

Also, MAL lacks the ability for me to score Mad Bull 34 properly e.g. 3/10 for the actual quality of the series, 10/10 for the entertainment.

Hmm, Jexhius just reminded me that I have a MAL account....

Fuck updating that thing tho. It would take a degree of introspection on my part, and that might kill me this year.

Quasar

Hmm, Jexhius just reminded me that I have a MAL account....

Fuck updating that thing tho. It would take a degree of introspection on my part, and that might kill me this year.

That's why I update things as I go.

Ashame all the streaming apps don't integrate so it could automatically happen like it does with plex/kodi and Trakt.tv

Heh. My mean is like 5.72. My grading is super bell like though. No 10, no ones and maybe a handful of 2s. Its mostly all 5s and 6s.

most series I drop end up at 4-6 and a lot of series i finish end up at 6.

Its also a lot of context for me, like Eva 3.33 is a 3/10 on my list but its not nearly as bad as some other stuff I've giving a 3/10, but its so disappointing to me I score it lower

4.43 mean.... I made it a vow last year to stop watching less crap lets see how that turned out.
2015 mean: 4.28
2016 mean: 4.15
Still better then 2011's 3.95 (with 75 things started/watched).

I don't rate any anime series I drop, and if I'm inclined to rate something a 6 or below I'm likely to drop it, so my MAL mean is probably higher than a lot of others.

Taruranto

I love that shit. I've been thinking about how when humans die all their consciousness is lost and the only thing passed on are genes and memes and how a machine can pass on its information and essentially live forever for half my entire life

Wait, isn't this like the plot of one of the routes of I/O.

Manga Shared: 1 lol

Rewatching this because why not.

Show's been one of my favorites for a long while yet the first episode remains a case of what the hell just happened. Characters getting violent for little to no reason, mentions of big military organizations without any in depth detail, and entirely separate plotlines being followed without clear indication as to their connection makes this a baffling introduction to this new age in the U.C.

Still, the gorgeous art, character design, and animation combined with the wonderful soundtrack with elements of psychedelia and grandeur lead this to being one of the most attention grabbing anime series ever.

Actually doing a U.C. Gundam Era Watchathon with my dad. I've seen most of them before, but it's fun seeing what he thinks of them all. Just got to Zeta Gundam after the myriad of 0079/80 stories. That first episode was super rough, he nearly wanted to just drop the whole thing and watch the 90 minute compilation movies instead. I don't blame him really, it's a pretty meh episode. He's warmed up over the last five episodes though.

Also I survived my exam!! Time to watch some anime.
Maybe as of this month? Also I have tried going in since I'm prime but for some reason it won't work. Wonder if it's because I'm a student.

54.4% affinity, 87 shared. Damn.

Maybe as of this month? Also I have tried going in since I'm prime but for some reason it won't work. Wonder if it's because I'm a student.

54.4% affinity, 87 shared. Damn.
I'm a student too and it works.
---------------
Speaking of MAL mean score mine is 7.87, it's probaly high since I don't rate show I drop early on.

Quasar

4.43 mean.... I made it a vow last year to stop watching less crap lets see how that turned out.
2015 mean: 4.28
2016 mean: 4.15
Still better then 2011's 3.95 (with 75 things started/watched).

Mine hasn't changed the past two years its 5.7. One thing I wonder about if it ignores non scored items or does it count all them as 0's or something.

Thud

I'm pretty content with everything I've given a 10 so far

LoGH will probably end up a 10, and maybe Diamond is Unbreakable so that'll be 18?

On the flip side I've only got 3 finished manga at 10. Two of them are JoJo...

I give 10's that do something special beside being excellent.

So Mob makes the cut, but DIU didn't.

Kuromukuro 2 (Rewatch)

Watching this again, I'm struck by how inspired by martial arts the mecha action choreography is. I really like seeing weighty robots that are (mostly) bound by gravity, dodging, weaving, and thrusting as two swordsmen would. The CG in itself is probably about the same level as Sunrise's CG in Gundam the Origin, but the choreography on display here is much better than what I saw in the most recent Origin episode.

I also like how Yukina is immediately made useful as a co-pilot to Kennosuke, despite her freakout at this unexpected situation into which she's been thrown. Her observations of the enemies on the radar and warning Kennosuke of attacks from behind and above end up being key to both of them not getting skewered. It's a good way to sell the dual pilot concept up-front, as well as making Yukina a believably strong character.

blurr

Kuromukuro 2 (Rewatch)

Watching this again, I'm struck by how inspired by martial arts the mecha action choreography is. I really like seeing weighty robots that are (mostly) bound by gravity, dodging, weaving, and thrusting as two swordsmen would. The CG in itself is probably about the same level as Sunrise's CG in Gundam the Origin, but the choreography on display here is much better than what I saw in the most recent Origin episode.

I also like how Yukina is immediately made useful as a co-pilot to Kennosuke, despite her freakout at this unexpected situation into which she's been thrown. Her observations of the enemies on the radar and warning Kennosuke of attacks from behind and above end up being key to both of them not getting skewered. It's a good way to sell the dual pilot concept up-front, as well as making Yukina a believably strong character.

This episode also gives a good sense of timing of events - when Kennosuke wakes up from a nightmare, we later see what Yukina was doing at the time, that was interesting. Also, when the alien mech gets carried away as Kennosuke charges towards it, they don't cut back to Ken monologuing about it but just show him charging towards it and eventually missing, giving the impression that there was no time to do such observational exposition.

I wouldn't say it's just the chibi stuff, I'll use episode 9 as an example since it is the worst one in this regard. You begin the episode by seeing the elder praying, one thinks "hmm it's his last match, he's probably going through some shit", well guess what it was a gag. The whole match between Rei and the old man was a whiplash of self reflection and emotional analysis - except no, it's about the man doing silly faces and an imaginary bear on the Shogi board. Then the ending, how the man didn't want to give up Shogi. One would think "it's all he did his whole life, he probably loves it", but no, he just wanted to avoid house chores.

The show has all of these really cool elements that could tell a tale of a boy dealing with his depression. Sometimes the show manages to tell us that tale, but it is all too quick at throwing some dumb gag because it thinks it has to?

Ah yes, the humor in that episode took me in by surprise for a bit. I get where you're coming from but I don't think there's anything wrong with an old man being silly. I get the need to be serious because Rei was under a moral pressure but reality is indifferent to all our troubles. The old man might be about to retire from something he liked but he was ultimately doing it out of his own volition and not because of he had no choice. He realized only later that he could still continue playing after talking to Rei. No matter how silly his reasons were from what he said, there's no denying he liked Shogi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom