• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Mob Psycho 8-12

I had completely forgotten that I'd watched most of this; the joys of working a job that consumes your life for months at a time...

Leaving aside the sensational animation, I'm not totally sure how I feel about the climax of the whole thing. While the finale certainly provides some "kick ass" moments, it features not just one but two slightly unsatisfying deus ex machina moments:

i)
The power transfer to Reigen
, which is poorly explained (in my opinion) and doesn't really make much sense.
ii)
Sho popping back up to end the fight when all seems lost
- while clearly designed as a "hook" for future story arcs it takes the victory out of Mob & co's hands.

For something which is essentially only a slight twist on the usual shounen fight show themes - power of friendship, protecting your friends etc. - Mob does elevate itself through its creativity and relative emotional maturity; I enjoyed catching up on it a great deal. I just hope the inevitable season 2 doesn't have a tournament arc, though...

oI0KFMv.jpg

http://www.tdd-1.com/iv/

hnnnnnnngh

blurr

March comes like a Lion 10

This isn't complete yet and I'm not 100% content with the show but this is definitely my top candidate for AotS.

What an episode. It followed a similar arc to the previous one where Kyouko attempts to emotionally blackmail Rei into losing a match but this time Rei couldn't prove her wrong and there was only so much he can do from his end. I found it very interesting that the show embraces the notion that you can't make everyone happy or solve everyone's problems. That makes for compelling narrative.

I specifically like the moment where his opponent snatches away the bag from him, there's a sense of spitefulness and hatred that exuded from him solely through visuals. I was just as shocked at his actions as Rei was.

Consequently Rei is frustrated by this moral conflict but what followed was an incredible moment, really took me in by surprise. A verbal and physical outlet of emotional frustration that had reached its peak depicted through a good build up, visuals and music. It's not easy to be a pro.

That was so good.

March comes like a Lion 10

This isn't complete yet and I'm not 100% content with the show but this is definitely my top candidate for AotS.

What an episode. It followed a similar arc to the previous one where Kyouko attempts to emotionally blackmail Rei into losing a match but this time Rei couldn't prove her wrong and there was only so much he can do from his end. I found it very interesting that the show embraces the notion that you can't make everyone happy or solve everyone's problems. That makes for compelling narrative.

I specifically like the moment where his opponent snatches away the bag from him, there's a sense of spitefulness and hatred that exuded from him solely through visuals. I was just as shocked at his actions as Rei was.

Consequently Rei is frustrated by this moral conflict but what followed was an incredible moment, really took me in by surprise. A verbal and physical outlet of emotional frustration that had reached its peak depicted through a good build up, visuals and music. It's not easy to be a pro.

That was so good.

To me it's a shame that the show isn't more like this. The much more subtle direction that stripped away the dumb and needless narration elevated the whole thing to another level when they were having their Shogi match, and even afterwards when he was running to the park. Animation and backgrounds get a shout out too, because this week they were top notch. Both this and episode 1 have been the definite highlights of the show, with every other episode between ranging from mediocre to disappointing with all the tonal shifts and talking cats. Episode 9 was the worst so far.

Trickster Episode 12

C0Dr_Y_XUAAhp6W.jpg:small

Yes yes yes yes yes. They did it, the plot that I wanted so much happened. Love how Kobayashi has leveled up over the whole anime and even got more emotional, Hanasaki really affected him greatly. Ending the key moments with the instrumental of the OP theme was perfect.

And then Twenty Faces finally said it. Best.
C0DsyMBWEAAsYet.jpg:small

jman2050

Girlish Number 11

Man even when the show is trying to be uplifting the best it can muster is "Everyone knows you're a horrible person with a horrible personality, but that can actually work in this industry as long as you are actually trying and not wallowing in depression." And I'm totally okay with that.

Yae dumping all the pretenses and straight up calling Chitose dumb got the biggest laugh from me. She truly is has a black heart!

blurr

To me it's a shame that the show isn't more like this. The much more subtle direction that stripped away the dumb and needless narration elevated the whole thing to another level when they were having their Shogi match, and even afterwards when he was running to the park. Animation and backgrounds get a shout out too, because this week they were top notch. Both this and episode 1 have been the definite highlights of the show, with every other episode between ranging from mediocre to disappointing with all the tonal shifts and talking cats. Episode 9 was the worst so far.

By tonal shift are you referring to the comedic/chibi/cute moments when those sisters are around? I personally felt they were a warm embrace from Rei's otherwise cold and lonely monologues/introspective moments often relating to his mental wellbeing which isn't in the best condition. Their relationship might've been simply as a result of circumstances but it's very touching to know that they are coping with their losses by giving each other comfort through companionship.

When you look at the moments where it gets funny, it is often completely unrelated to Rei's more cold moments, it's a distraction in one sense but it's also a moment of mental relief in another.

Rei's monologues definitely feel unnecessary or excessive at times when the visuals are clear, which has been my only qualm. Not a fan of the CG cat song either.

JCG

Apart from that silly knife, that is a nice looking mech. This FMP ? mech kinda reminds me of the Kuromukuro gauss units , very simple but very angular designs.

I'd say it works well in action. On that note...you should try to watch the previous series, especially the second season and Fumoffu (the last of those lacks mecha, generally speaking, but it's quite funny).

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still 1-7

This might quite possibly be one of the strangest things I've ever watched. The plot is straight up insanity that continues to escalate and escalate and escalate. Nothing makes sense by the end and it's just characters shouting platitudes about the nature of sacrifice and the future while ridiculous destruction happens around them.

The thing is, it kind of doesn't have to make sense. The animation is a wonder to look at, the action is fun and inventive, (most) of the characters are fun and interesting and it has one of the most amazing soundtracks I've ever heard in an anime. I say 'most' of the characters are fun and interesting mainly because the hero, Daisaku, sucks. An annoying kid in the mold of Shinji who won't just get in the damn robot.

I highly recommend it overall if you're one the people like me who like mecha, but for some reason hasn't caught up with the Super Robot side of it. It's worth a watch if just for the amazing soundtrack. Now onto GaoGaiGar FINAL I suppose.

You could argue that the majority of the action in Giant Robot is based on martials arts/wuxia sensibilities rather than the actual mecha. But yes, those are treated like Super Robots in practice. I thought the story and its theme about sacrifice made more sense than that (with one or two iffy moments), but good to see you enjoyed it all the same. The soundtrack is absolutely wonderful, no doubt.

For something which is essentially only a slight twist on the usual shounen fight show themes - power of friendship, protecting your friends etc. - Mob does elevate itself through its creativity and relative emotional maturity; I enjoyed catching up on it a great deal. I just hope the inevitable season 2 doesn't have a tournament arc, though...

There isn't a tournament arc.

One Punch Man on the other hand...its now the slog that it used to parody.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not sure I can support magic loli nazi isekai.

By tonal shift are you referring to the comedic/chibi/cute moments when those sisters are around? I personally felt they were a warm embrace from Rei's otherwise cold and lonely monologues/introspective moments often relating to his mental wellbeing which isn't in the best condition. Their relationship might've been simply as a result of circumstances but it's very touching to know that they are coping with their losses by giving each other comfort through companionship.

When you look at the moments where it gets funny, it is often completely unrelated to Rei's more cold moments, it's a distraction in one sense but it's also a moment of mental relief in another.

Rei's monologues definitely feel unnecessary or excessive at times when the visuals are clear, which has been my only qualm. Not a fan of the CG cat song either.

I wouldn't say it's just the chibi stuff, I'll use episode 9 as an example since it is the worst one in this regard. You begin the episode by seeing the elder praying, one thinks "hmm it's his last match, he's probably going through some shit", well guess what it was a gag. The whole match between Rei and the old man was a whiplash of self reflection and emotional analysis - except no, it's about the man doing silly faces and an imaginary bear on the Shogi board. Then the ending, how the man didn't want to give up Shogi. One would think "it's all he did his whole life, he probably loves it", but no, he just wanted to avoid house chores.

The show has all of these really cool elements that could tell a tale of a boy dealing with his depression. Sometimes the show manages to tell us that tale, but it is all too quick at throwing some dumb gag because it thinks it has to?

Patlabor Reboot

Finally got around to watching this. It's a slight short in itself - basically remaking the classic Patlabor scenario of dealing with a construction Labor going berserk - but it's promising as a pilot. The way modern technology and social media is integrated into the story shows Yoshiura and Headgear are aware of how Twitter and social media allows a local incident to become instantly known nationally(/internationally) and puts greater scrutiny on police response to events. The production is quite good; after seeing the mediocre CG mecha animation Sunrise D.I.D. flopped out for Gundam the Origin it's very satisfying to see Khara do such a good job with the CG here. Of course, Yoshiura is very experienced at integrating CG into his productions in a meaningful way, and he is certainly successful at doing so here.

For the moment I'll have to keep waiting and hoping that this will get expanded upon as its creators seem to want.

Kenstar

Saw a Sentra with a Eureka 7 vanity plate
Had half a mind to pull in front of him and point down to my Bebop Plate and mentally circlejerk with him but then I thought What if he actually liked AO and pulled off

Cornbread78

Hm...

Anybody gonna make an OT for this? Corn? ;P

LOL..

I don't know about that... I'm already going to have three OT's running already...

Rewrite:
Rewrite OT
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34126/Rewrite__Moon_and_Terra

Konosuba:
Konosuba OT
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32937/Kono_Subarashii_Sekai_ni_Shukufuku_wo_2

Tales of Zestiria the X:
Tales of Zestiria anime OT
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34086/Tales_of_Zestiria_the_X_2017

Maybe:

Little Witch Academia
Blue Exorcist S2
ChäoS;Child
Fuuka
Granblue Fantasy The Animation

OT's might work for those.

BTW, I'll be watching waaaay too many shows next season!

Mob Psycho 8-12

I had completely forgotten that I'd watched most of this; the joys of working a job that consumes your life for months at a time...

Leaving aside the sensational animation, I'm not totally sure how I feel about the climax of the whole thing. While the finale certainly provides some "kick ass" moments, it features not just one but two slightly unsatisfying deus ex machina moments:

i)
The power transfer to Reigen
, which is poorly explained (in my opinion) and doesn't really make much sense.
ii)
Sho popping back up to end the fight when all seems lost
- while clearly designed as a "hook" for future story arcs it takes the victory out of Mob & co's hands.

If they do adapt another season there won't be a tournament, just watching the ultimate mental destruction of Mob. The next major arc is just gut wrenching....its many of us readers favorite arc but man...is it hard to read.

True the latest Girlish Number should be out. Can't believe I went from not caring about it enough because of its poster art, to catching up with everyone else several weeks in, and it becoming my potential AOTS. Shit's damn good.

JulianImp

Am I missing something? I'm not fluent in Japanese, so perhaps others are hearing something in the dialogue I'm not, but I don't think Kumiko talking to Shuuichi is equivalent to Kumiko entering into a romantic relationship with him.

Yup, from what I can understand they're just talking about how the day after that is when they'll be playing for real, and how both of them are kind of anxious about the whole thing. The BGM being pretty loud makes it harder for me to understand the last few lines, but I think it goes like this:
Shuuichi: 明日だな (Tomorrow's finally the day, huh...)
Kumiko: だね (nods)
S: 何かさ…ちょっと不安なんだよな (You know, I'm feeling a bit anxious about all this...)
K: 本当? (You do?)
S: うん (nods)
S: 何か見つけなかった (I feel like I'm still missing something)
K: 私もだ (me too)

And since I finished watching a couple more seasonal episodes...

Magical Girl Raising Project - #12
This show has won at losing. Honestly, it looks like the writers didn't even know what they wanted to convey with this show and its finale, since Snow White continued to be kept out of harm's way while Ripple and Swim Swim killed each other, and Hardgore Alice's rabbit foot finally did something by reviving Ripple (seriously?), who then proceeded to use Swim Swim's magical weapon to destroy Fab's main transmitter by pure chance, since Snow White had never told her that it was the only thing that could break it (she and us could hear Fab's thoughts due to her ability, but she never even told that to Ripple)...

All in all, it was a series that apparently didn't even know what themes it wanted to convey, since Snow White and Ripple's "victory" was pyrrhic at best and they never got any kind of emotional payoff from listening to Fab's exposition or breaking its communication device.

Izetta - #12
That conclussion sure was anticlimatic... the two witches fighting to see who could gather more magic power without dying was really meh. In the end the witches were just a temporary diversion that didn't end up doing much in the grand scheme of things.

I also find it funny that this show somehow managed to completely ignore Japan's involvement in WW2 and the USA's use of atomic bombs, opting to give Germans a magic-powered nuke that they never even got to use instead. It's almost like all Izetta and Sophie actually managed to do was give the USA an excuse to enter the war that wasn't related with Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor, since other than that Izetta only managed to delay Austria's fall to the Germans until Sophie showed up.

My Wife is the Student Council President S2 - #12
I really wonder why this even got a S2, since it was obvious that every single episode was going to be more of the same. I mean, at least Galko was somewhat fun without having to tease lewd situations and deffusing them with some random mood whiplash every single time.

Kiss him, not me! - #11
I dunno, I'm not really feeling all these arcs devoted to individual love interests that end up leading nowhere because, being a harem show, the whole point is that Serinuma never gets to choose any single character... I mean, at least somebody finally properly confessed his feelings for Serinuma, but even then I don't think anything's going to come out of it since it's a harem series, after all.

Occultic;Nine - #11
I kind of wish we'd have gotten something other than an episode-long infodump here, and the campy gay guy being the cult's mastermind felt like an equally apalling plot device. Then there was the other infodump where we learned why Ria's "familiar" got attached to her which, again, was annoying in that it was nothing more than exposition. Hopefully all this means there will be little to no exposition next episode, so that the characters can actually try and do something.

True the latest Girlish Number should be out. Can't believe I went from not caring about it enough because of its poster art, to catching up with everyone else several weeks in, and it becoming my potential AOTS. Shit's damn good.

Where? I guess there's another streaming service that gets its episodes before Crunchy does?

jonjonaug

Youjo Senki PV2
Ver A.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwaruTPKq9I
Ver B.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDPV6pOMI3s

It's like BF1 mixed Battlefront lol.
The music is garbage and I don't know what the hell they did to Visha's design, but not as bad as feared.

Youjo Senki is different from a lot of other isekai things. The plot isn't exactly wish fulfillment at all, the protagonist is a total asshole that deserves everything bad that happens to them and isn't written in a way to make them even remotely relatable. It's kind of a black comedy where the protagonist tries everything she can come up with to get promoted and be assigned a cushy job in the rear. The first part works out, the second does not.

The books themselves are super heavy in the narration (it's "character says one line->two paragraph history and military strategy lesson->other character says one line" over and over) so I'm not sure how that's gonna end up.

Not saying it's necessarily good, it's still pretty trashy. But it's a different sort of trash than people in this thread seem to be expecting. I am finding it a good deal more entertaining to read than most other reincarnation works, partly because of the lack of common elements with most works in that genre other than "OP protagonist" (and even that is something that works against the MC's actual goals).

zulux21

Hunter x Hunter '99 Episode 45

This episode + Bisky in Greed Island pretty much tell you all you need to know about how Gon-san could happen. Like thats what the entirety of Nen in this story was building up to - someone doing that.

Cornbread78

Ghost in the Shell movie
0BT2ktt.gif

This was an interesting movie from start to finish. I'm still not really sure what it was ultimately trying to accomplish, but it appears to be the foundation for a lot of events to follow. The animation was actually pretty nice for an older show, but man, this guy love his boobies, lol.

What is the next film/ TV series chronologically to this movie? I kinda dig what was going on here.

Ghost in the Shell movie
0BT2ktt.gif

This was an interesting movie from start to finish. I'm still not really sure what it was ultimately trying to accomplish, but it appears to be the foundation for a lot of events to follow. The animation was actually pretty nice for an older show, but man, this guy love his boobies, lol.

What is the next film/ TV series chronologically to this movie? I kinda dig what was going on here.

Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence is the direct sequel to this. The TV series exists in its own continuity, but you should watch Stand Alone Complex if you want to see more of these characters/setting.

Cornbread78

Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence is the direct sequel to this. The TV series exists in its own continuity, but you should watch Stand Alone Complex if you want to see more of these characters/setting.

Good deal. I hate how the movie threw a ton of different concepts out there and then left with an open ending. However, those same concepts are very interesting in theory and I want to see them played out/realized.

Good deal. I hate how the movie threw a ton of different concepts out there and then left with an open ending. However, those same concepts are very interesting in theory and I want to see them played out/realized.

I love that shit. I've been thinking about how when humans die all their consciousness is lost and the only thing passed on are genes and memes and how a machine can pass on its information and essentially live forever for half my entire life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom