• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross61

You'll probably need to go into more detail, it's been years since I watched the first season.
There was a
mushi that eats silence and causes the person affected to only hear notices that nearby mushy make
. The way it was dealt with was
putting you palms/hands to your ear and hearing the vibration from it
. I thought it was a bit of an ass-pull given the mushy they were going against.

Kvik

Sounds like Keijo!!!!!!!! (Did I get the number of exclamation marks right?) is a sports anime for non-sports anime fan. Like myself.

There was a
mushi that eats silence and causes the person affected to only hear notices that nearby mushy make
. The way it was dealt with was
putting you palms/hands to your ear and hearing the vibration from it
. I thought it was a bit of an ass-pull given the mushy they were going against.

I don't think that's an asspull. You have to remember that mushi are fairy tale creatures on the boundary between the natural and the supernatural, and they operate by their own individual logic.

Line_HTX

"Serious sports drama."

IKT0CIm.jpg

jgminto

Flip Flappers was fantastic, easily the best opening episode so far this season. They capture the story book motif so well with the amazing visual direction. Watching the first episode reminded me of watching the original Kyousougiga ONA, there are a lot of questions but what's there is already so fantastic and I would argue that this is even more compelling than Kyousougiga.

CDiggity

Yuri!!! on Ice 01

This series has three exclamation points in the title, so it has to be good right? And it is. The skating aspect of it is done very well. Wasn't expecting that much comedy though, especially since it missed more than it hit. Even if the story is a bust, it looks pretty good so I'll watch more for at least the visuals for now.

Keijo!!!!!!!! 01

This series has eight exclamation points, so it has to be amazing right? Well I wouldn't say amazing, but I am a sucker for shamelessly over the top stuff that goes much farther than simply "too far". I'd say it's deserving of 3-4 of its exclamation points at the moment, but I know they will up the ante and it will be hilarious stupid fun. The Chairman will be proud of this one.

Cornbread78

Wolf's Rain ep.13
The crew is back on the trail again to go get Cheza back, but with a new member joins them as Blue tags along. Also, what a cute was to reunite the OTP couple. (
copper and scientist)

Felt good for them, lol.

More first episode impressions:

Aooni The Blue Monster - Not the worst short I've seen this season, it was bad but its only 3 minutes or so, thus I won't be dropping it.
Ninja Girl & Samurai - Cute short, not much there but its charming at least.
Natsume Yujin-cho Go - Natsume is back and is charming as ever. Character animations felt a bit off during certain scenes, hopefully that won't purists since this new batch should animate some of my favorite chapters.
TO BE HERO - I'm not sure what this is, I sorta enjoyed it so I'll stick around with this for now.
Teekyu 8 - My anime brain killing addiction is back!
Kiitarou Shounen no Youkai Enikki - Another short that sorta missed the mark, I'll give it a few more episodes before deciding its fate.
Nazotokine - Where the fuck are the puzzles? I'll give this one more episode, before killing it off my watch list.
Miss Bernard said. - Feels like its trying to be Teekyu and failing at it quite hard.
FLIP FLAPPERS - Damn, truley a memorizing show already and home to my favorite ending for a show in a long ass time.
Keijo!!!!!!!! - Bravo Xebec, you managed to skip the first 25 chapters (since they need to end at the E-W War) and managed to make the story somewhat coherent to follow. Really did a great job adapting the land fight, and making the over the top stupidness of the manga shine even greater. I'm proud of you Xebec!

I can't wait for Sangatsu and Occultic;Nine to check them out. Drifters has my interest too since I know nothing about it, but people keep bringing it up.

Gvitor

School Days 07-09

Yup, everyone is a piece of shit in this show. Seriously... I mean, yeah, it's badly written, but that's no excuse to not have a single righteous character. Though I'm starting to think that's this show's appeal, because otherwise I would've dropped it long ago but I can't stop watching it lol

Keijo - 01

About what I expected. Would be nice if it had nice character designs and nicely animated movements. But it's just bog standard stuff and just didn't look particularly attractive to me.Might watch another episode or two but unless the sports aspect really gets going well Imma drop it.

jonjonaug

Flip Flappers 01

Me: "Hey Flip Flappers, who's writing your script?"
Flip Flappers: "What's a script? Here's some pretty colors. Do you like them?"

I guess it was OK?

Jarmel

Banned
Flip Flap- 1

I found this fairly dull. I thought the direction was interesting, as there was a lot of contrast via colors/lighting/sound, but my main problem is the lack of chemistry between the two leads. Papika is somewhat interesting as the usual genki girl but both aren't exactly intriguing by themselves and put together, they're just boring. The situation in this episode wasn't exactly interesting either.

Keijo!!!!!!!! Episode 1

When its focusing on the actual competition with a bunch of silly names, surprisingly painful looking attacks, and people remarking on the air pressure of someone swinging their ass around, then yeah, it's fun.

The problem is, outside of the competition it's pretty dull. There the show looks really limp, and the character comedy isn't exactly riveting stuff.

Jarmel

Banned
Yea I didn't like Keijo either. That's largely because Xebec skipped almost all of the character work for the main duo and as a result there's no real reason to be invested in any of the characters right now. This episode served as an introduction into the sport of Keijo but lacked any interesting character work as a result. For example we don't know why the main character is driven by money, only that she is, and her friendship with Sayaka is pre-established. This is possibly a case where knowing the source material is going to actively harm my impression of the show.

Not to mention I wasn't particularly impressed with the animation as the lighting is fairly basic and the movements aren't detailed all that well but I did appreciate the thick lines on the character art.

Dekutulla

Flip Flappers 1:

It was okay, I guess? I get the same sense from this show that I got from Crowds, where I know it's technically good but I just don't get it.

Maybe I'm a simple man, but Keijo having generic shonen attacks like a burst of air so fast you can't even tell what happened except with butts makes me laugh pretty hard

It's like Dudley's Cross Counter in Third Strike, except you get assed instead of punched.

Gvitor

Yea I didn't like Keijo either. That's largely because Xebec skipped almost all of the character work for the main duo and as a result there's no real reason to be invested in any of the characters right now. This episode served as an introduction into the sport of Keijo but lacked any interesting character work as a result. For example we don't know why the main character is driven by money, only that she is, and her friendship with Sayaka is pre-established. This is possibly a case where knowing the source material is going to actively harm my impression of the show.

Not to mention I wasn't particularly impressed with the animation as the lighting is fairly basic and the movements aren't detailed all that well but I did appreciate the thick lines on the character art.

I think that might be the case, yeah. I didn't know they skipped 25 chapters until reading about it in this thread, and I didn't think anything about why she needs money or that they knew each other beforehand. If they want to, they can do flashbacks about it in the future, but I don't think it was a bad starting point because of those things.

Cornbread78

Saikano ep.2
Damn, their lives fell completely apart much quicker than I though would happen. Terrible how the girl's life is being ruined. Interestly enough, he tried to get it on with her already... I guess that was a failure, lol. I hope we start getting more story soon to fill in what happened to Chiza to become the way she is. Terrible man, just terrible what's going on with her.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
All Out!! Episode 1:

SO this basically what would happen if they took the Elric brothers and plopped them into a rugby setting. That being said, yea, this had me feeling like I was watching a typical sports anime at time and I am not enamored with the leads to say the least.

I think that might be the case, yeah. I didn't know they skipped 25 chapters until reading about it in this thread, and I didn't think anything about why she needs money or that they knew each other beforehand. If they want to, they can do flashbacks about it in the future, but I don't think it was a bad starting point because of those things.

I'm guessing the training camp arc will be an OVA since it does contain nudity. I'm fine with them skipping ahead if it means that they'll animate the East vs West War which has some pretty hype shit

Cornbread78

Saikano ep.3
Oh man, hot for grade school teacher? Really? How can you cop sobe feels for her suddenly? What is she like 15 years older? Damn dude... I get it though, it's her fault, but at least you
said no.... for now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It is 2016.

Anime featuring men's sports are funded by female consumers.
Anime featuring women's "sports" are "funded" by male consumers.

Jarmel

Banned
So thinking about it, Flip Flappers reminded me of Eureka Seven's first episode for a number of reasons. Now before someone Nintendoman gets all hype, I don't think this is a comparison that works in Flip Flappers' favor. So the reason I'm thinking about this is primarily the structure of the first half, but also the reasoning behind Cocona at the end. The episode starts of showing Cocona trapped by the monotony of every day life.
For example the opening sequence has her literally boxed in the frame. Note how the walls and ceiling are trapping her in the above shot, creating a feeling of claustrophobia. Even the timer is a form of oppression for Cocona as she's running out of time. The soft white light and grey colors are reminiscent of an office space and so are indication of the drudgery of everyday life for her. Papika's introduction however is full of sound, distorting shapes, strong colors, and motion. This use of contrast is not only for the characterization of both leads but also to show possibly why Cocona would be 'attracted' to Papika.
Wwtq6dN.jpg
u9VJOcT.jpg

Look at how the two are literally framed almost in back to back shots.
This focus on colors can be seen in the opening and later school shots as well. This is fairly strong and is reminiscent of the muted colors in Eureka Seven's opening which is supposed to reflect Renton's viewpoint of the town. Cocona and Renton are both people who are seemingly frustrated/bored with the direction of their lives and the color palette reflects that. This is why Papika/Eureka are supposed to be the alternative for regular day life for them and thus are attractive (not inherently romantic) to the protagonist. Hence when Cocona sees Papika on the way to school; the sound stops, the lights bloom, there's slow motion, and there's a straight upwards camera angle. Papika represents the surreal for Cocona and so there is a sort of dream-like effect.
WHQopAZ.jpg

In this shot she has small barriers from the window frame literally on both sides of her that reflect her loneliness.
The show establishes Papika's normal life through visual reinforcement of everyday objects and events such as a shot of a textbook, watching basketball, or just wandering around school. She's not only visually isolated from the rest of her classmates which establish her as a loner, but the music used in her sequences are just very plain piano pieces, which is in strong contrast to Cocona's scenes (with a xylophone?). All of this is fine and good, however my problem is with the Pure Illusion sequences. I understand the director/writer were going for an Alice in Wonderland sort of effect however it comes across as aimless, especially near the end. The whole focus on the glasses felt fairly weak, as if the staff knew they needed action but weren't sure how to fit it in there. So the whole sequence came across as a bit of a waste as there's no narrative hook nor do I think they expanded the character dynamics in a profound manner.
TtpJTTh.jpg
geaNbNI.jpg

There's zero rapport between these two.
I don't think their character interactions in this segment were particularly riveting, which makes for a plodding third. Compare that to the 2nd half of the E7 premiere where it's Renton goofing off with Eureka. The reason it works better in E7's case is that the two are playing off each other and reacting to each other rather than the two leads not really engaging on an emotional level with each other. Yes, Cocona was playing in the snow and smiled occasionally but she has a very understated reaction to all of this. That's important in both shows as that 2nd half segment establishes an emotional connection with the other lead and serves as the primary driving force for the protagonist to shake off their shackles of their normal lives and do something reckless. In Flip Flapper's case, Cocona chasing after Papika doesn't really feel like a natural climax of her interactions with Papika compared to Renton with Eureka. The last scene with
Papika and Cocona being kidnapped
felt like an afterthought as a result.

Cornbread78

Wolf's Rain ep.14
301595.jpg

Well everything just went to shit for both group seeking Cheza. She was
kidnapped/taken away
yet again... uugghh. Well, lets see how they get her back now... wait, wasn't she supposed to die the other night?

Shergal

the glasses are obviously a memento from blue's dead mother or something important like that; she doesn't actually need glasses as shown in the opening scene. red recognizes the emotional significance and that's why she risks her life to retrieve them

I never thought about it that way, regarding the E7 comparison, though it is interestingly similar.

If you ask me though, I feel like Papika and Cocona's lack of chemistry right now is mostly due to the episode focusing on establishing the oppositeness of their personalities, as well as the surreal nature of Pure Illusion almost entirely through the visuals and their interactions rather than exposition right off the bat. I felt like the episode worked well in that regard.

I imagine that there will be more chemistry between the two as the show goes on.

Jarmel

Banned
the glasses are obviously a memento from blue's dead mother or something important like that; she doesn't actually need glasses as shown in the opening scene. red recognizes the emotional significance and that's why she risks her life to retrieve them

I don't need glasses either but I wear them occasionally. She wears them such as when she's in the doctor's office or when she's inspecting the robot in Pure Illusion. If she doesn't need them at all then those are weird occasions to use them.

Shergal

I don't need glasses either but I wear them occasionally. She wears them such as when she's in the doctor's office or when she's inspecting the robot in Pure Illusion.

i don't think a detail like that will be superfluous in a written show though.

the scene where she notices they're gone and the shot lingers on her distressed reaction made a bigger deal out of it than it would be if those were random 10$ glasses bought at the local store

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't believe she pulled back her jaw and slammed her face into a butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom