• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
Girlish Number: 6
Is there a reason they keep Kuzu around or is the reason he is kept around is because the makers of the show decided it's funny? I mean it is funny, but god he is horrible.

Sure but they coulda given at least some relationship formation between Majime and Kaguya

The show did, from their midnight meeting to the restaurant encounter to the ferris wheel date to the awkward love confession; it just didn't spend too much time focusing on the steady development of their relationship and has other characters it wants to devote time as well. Apparently, from the Amazon JP reviews I looked at, the novel this comes from is written as a series of short story vignettes themed around the creation of the dictionary, which perhaps explains why some people are feeling the lack of a more conventional narrative throughline.

duckroll

I feel like a mess now. Show went from 8/10 material to 0/10 material. I didn't even dislike ep8, but it's like..... I dunno...... this isn't how you tell a story.....

Send help. Need an adult. SOS.

ibyea

Banned
Girlish Number: 7
Hey, this episode was interesting beyond just the comedy. We get to know the two pros and their background a bit better by looking at their relationship with their mother.

Funny story guy from Shirobako doesn't hold a candle to Kuzu in terms of being horrible, or maybe it's that Kuzu is present way more, I don't know. God, someone punch this guy already.

It's 1:34AM and Westworld has me questioning everything, including my own existence. I could watch another episode isking myself getting mindkcufed further. Or I could sleep. And possibly have dreams... but are they dreams?

How can a puppet show possibly top this folks. PLEASE.

It's 1:34AM and Westworld has me questioning everything, including my own existence. I could watch another episode isking myself getting mindkcufed further. Or I could sleep. And possibly have dreams... but are they dreams?

How can a puppet show possibly top this folks. PLEASE.

Watch it and find out.

ibyea

Banned
Girlish Number: 8
That was an oddly reflective sort of episode for this show. It was great too. They should just forget about Chitose and make these two characters the protagonists. Also, weirdly enough, the part of the episode regarding Shibasaki and her father hit very close to home.

duckroll

duckroll, at least make your definitive statement on ep8's animation so the great debate (?) can be settled

Some of it was pretty good, but I think overall it lacked polish, and there were very clearly some off model scenes which I don't think were intended. Not enough to distract me to the point where think it's "bad" art, but it's definitely not some intended sakuga masterpiece imo. Felt like an episode with some very nice flashes of animation that make up for it being a little rushed.

Jex

Not like this. This Editor guy pulled some Beautiful Mind shit to divine the one who is destined to create The Great Passage with him.

Now, a Beautiful Mind I can actually understand, because a close friend of mine likes to wax poetic over the beauty of mathematics. And I have acquaintances who are also similarly invested in literature and language.

But the compiling of definitions is beyond me. It seems to be the most mundane and stifling way of interfacing with language.

For me, it didn't strike me as too unbelievable. As you yourself point out, people can have passions for subjects that other people would find dull, or even tedious, even if its just compiling dictionaries. It certainly makes more sense in the context of Japanese society, where you see a true adoration for people who dedicate themselves to becomes masters in their field - whatever field that might be.

It also certainly makes more sense considering this series is set in the past.
I'll just say comparing The Great Passage to CSI isn't exactly flattering.

My original problem was The Great Passage COULD have been a lot better if they took this same talent, and applied to to a more plausible, relatable subject, rather than whatever the hell is going on with these nerds.

It'd be like if CSI had the artistry of Band of Brothers behind it. It feels like a wasted opportunity. There's nothing that sets me off more than wasted opportunities.
You say that now, but wait until you see how exciting it is to chose the right paper for your dictionary! Seriously, I appreciate the windows into this world and it's focus on how seemingly minor details affects the experience of anyone using a book - it's kind of like 99% Invisible (the podcast) in those moments.

Jex

Once I learned the Crunchyroll "panel of experts" was seven people with varying quality of qualifications the terribleness of those nominations made sense.

But they're just regular folks, Branduil, like you me! Who better to judge a medium for the everyman? They voted blind too!

In reality, though, it would surely just be better to allow people to vote on all the anime of the year, for anime of the year. Rather than be forced into a selection by a team of experts. Of course, by giving themselves to many categories they had to narrow the focus down somehow, but I think their methodology for doing so was questionable at best.

But they're just regular folks, Branduil, like you me! Who better to judge a medium for the everyman? They voted blind too!

In reality, though, it would surely just be better to allow people to vote on all the anime of the year, for anime of the year. Rather than be forced into a selection by a team of expeters.

Since Crunchyroll wanted categories such as "Most Heartwarming Scene" and "Best Couple", they had to have some pre-selection going on.

duckroll

I don't understand why no one else is bothered by what happened in Let's Compile a Boat ~Featuring Dictionary Mascots~ Episode 8. Is it just me? What is even going on? Why would you do this in a story?! Where's the outrage?????

I don't understand why no one else is bothered by what happened in Let's Compile a Boat ~Featuring Dictionary Mascots~ Episode 8. Is it just me? What is even going on? Why would you do this in a story?! Where's the outrage?????

There were other people bothered by it when it aired, though I doubt they quite shared your particular obsession.

ibyea

Banned
Girlish Number: 10
Man, you know you are in a bad place when even Kuzu is moving forward. Just imagine, the height of your career, that one crappy anime you did a crappy job on, and then it's all downhill for you.

Quasar

In reality, though, it would surely just be better to allow people to vote on all the anime of the year, for anime of the year. Rather than be forced into a selection by a team of experts. Of course, by giving themselves to many categories they had to narrow the focus down somehow, but I think their methodology for doing so was questionable at best.

Do you really want a form where every question has 200 options you need to scroll through?

Now that Duck's comments are ringing throughout my head (no not the Fafner nor Shin Godzilla artbook ones) and it's been 3+ hours since I caught up with the series I'm starting to get more bothered by Fune wo Amu's time jump out of nowhere.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you're not willing to go through a list of 200 choices in the name of democracy maybe you don't deserve to vote in the first place.

Jex

If you're not willing to go through a list of 200 choices in the name of democracy maybe you don't deserve to vote in the first place.
I mean, if people want, we can just let a let a group of shadowy elites whittle down the AOTY voting list to two candidates, and then you can vote on the best one. Nice and simple.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'd like to submit Mob Psycho and Yuri on Ice to these "shadowy elites" for consideration.
I demand instant runoff voting

Asking people to rank 200 shows is a bit much even for me.

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume END

C0MHWIuWgAAmu3j.jpg
C0MHWIwW8AAShdQ.jpg

I want fuckingmore! This episode went pretty far in showing how the characters have improved throughout the show, showed they still had room for improvement and even gave some of the background first years some screentime. YOU CAN'T JUST GIVE ME ALL THIS CHARACTER DEVELOPEMENT AND LEAVE ME WITH STORYLINE BLUEBALLS I WANT MY NATIONALS TOURNAMENT ARC!!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Our panel of judges have whittled down the selection to the following shows:
  • Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R
  • Ooya-san wa Shishunki!
  • Sekkou Boys
  • ANNE HAPPY♪
  • Bakuon!!
  • flying witch
  • Sansha Sanyou
  • tanaka-kun wa itsumo kedaruge
  • Bishoujo Yuugi Unit Crane Game Girls
  • Pan de Peace!
  • Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
  • Amanchu
  • Love Live! Sunshine!!
  • WWW.WORKING!!

• Ooya-san wa Shishunki!
  • Sekkou Boys
  • ANNE HAPPY♪
  • Bakuon!!
  • flying witch
  • Sansha Sanyou
  • Pan de Peace!
  • Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
  • Amanchu
  • Love Live! Sunshine!!
  • WWW.WORKING!!
Anne Happy
Flying Witch
Tanaka-kun
Love Live! Sunshine!!
Bakuon!!

I like the most of that list.

So I Marathon'd through Hunter x Hunter on some recommendations but I need some info if it gets better. I just finished the Greed Island arc and that just felt like a long ad for a card game. I enjoyed it from Heaven's arena until the end of Yorknew City arc, but the beginning and Greed Island felt very unenjoyable.

I need to know if it's worth watching on with the Chimera Ant arc as it's 60 episodes long and from the intro it looks like it's going campy with giant ants and butterfly people.

Cornbread78

• Ooya-san wa Shishunki!
  • Sekkou Boys
  • ANNE HAPPY♪
  • Bakuon!!
  • flying witch
  • Sansha Sanyou
  • Pan de Peace!