• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
You expected anything out of KyoAni?

That was your first and fatal mistake.

I think we've said this many times, but KyoAni is adapting the novels. Blame the writer, not the production. If anything they are doing a good job on the visual, and high fidelity moments when the band is playing. Sound and acting is top notch too. The material itself is what is disappointing.

Jarmel

Banned
Another show where the moral implications of implied sexual attraction (in this case between a father and his daughter) made me queasy.

That's ridiculously light and done more for jokes than being remotely serious about it. He isn't leering at her or anything of that nature. The only time I feel the show itself had her in a sexual nature was the broken bathtub episode where she's in a towel.

Qurupeke

I think we've said this many times, but KyoAni is adapting the novels. Blame the writer, not the production. If anything they are doing a good job on the visual, and high fidelity moments when the band is playing. Sound and acting is top notch too. The material itself is what is disappointing.

But Episode 11 was easily the worst this season and apparently more than half of the episode was anime original.

That's ridiculously light and done more for jokes than being remotely serious about it. He isn't leering at her or anything of that nature.

Yeah, I'll admit I only watched the first episode. I'm impressed by the young Chinese animators working on the production, but the crude humor the show is going for is really not for me.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Another show where the moral implications of implied sexual attraction (in this case between a father and his daughter) made me queasy.
This aspect of the show honestly got worse for me the further along the show went. Unless there is some kind of radical reversal in the finale the show kind of goes to great lengths to portray an almost familial bond between a girl and her neighbors and family who sexually harass her. Their perverse transgressions are kind of just waved aside for a moralistic, "these were the people that were always there for me" moment that is super creepy.

But Episode 11 was easily the worst this season and apparently more than half of the episode was anime original.

I think it's fair to blame both the original author and the anime writing staff (directors/series composition) for the weaknesses in the show's writing.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, I'll admit I only watched the first episode. I'm impressed by the young Chinese animators working on the production, but the crude humor the show is going for is really not for me.

The show at the very end is pretty much about Ossan's relationship with his daughter. In fact the climax as it turns out is completely about that. The show is definitely crude but it does have a heart.

Oh and the sakuga was so good this week too.

This aspect of the show honestly got worse for me the further along the show went. Unless there is some kind of radical reversal in the finale the show kind of goes to great lengths to portray an almost familial bond between a girl and her neighbors and family who sexually harass her. Their perverse transgressions are kind of just waved aside for a moralistic, "these were the people that were always there for me" moment that is super creepy.

This feels like such a gross exaggeration when really the father does nothing to actually sexually harass her other than there being a joke about him not being able to control what comes out of his mouth and so it turns into a sexual joke that his daughter beats the shit out of him for. He generally treats and views her as an actual daughter.

jman2050

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/213814

So this was just announced. Anime screenwriter Junki Takegami, who has been writing in the industry since the early 80s, is writing a horror novel set in the anime industry in the 80s. The illustrations will be by famed horror mangaka Junji Ito. The story is about a cursed anime production. This sounds like a non-fiction autobiography to me!

Isn't "cursed anime production" a redundancy?

Keijo!!!!!!!!
Masou Gakuen HxH
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+!
Hundred

Were the only real T&A anime of the year. A down year for the fanservice/ecchi genre if I do say so myself.

JulianImp

Didn't bother posting about it before, but I finished the first season earlier today, so...

Selector Infected Wixoss - #1-12 (S1 end)
(WARNING: Unmarked spoilers ahead)
Having just finished watching Magical Girl Raising Project, seeing another show with a reluctant protagonist who mostly gets taken along for the ride while reacting to how those around her suffer in various ways was kind of odd. I mean, the shows aren't even remotely comparable because Wixoss at least bothered to flesh its smaller cast out and did some okay things with them, but even then it never felt like that much of a good show to me, sadly.

One of the reasons I don't think I got to care all that much about it was that most of the actiong and plot points felt like random ass-pulls, with the card game itself not even mattering in the grand scheme of things. Out of the whole cast, the only duelist with a known set of abilities was Akira, but the rest only had flashy attacks that did damage or something. Battles were always about LRIGs firing off energy blasts at each other at random while their masters talked back and forth for a while, and then one of them woud win because. Tama somehow "evolved" after her first victory, but that never happened again because... I dunno.

Then there was Ruuko's whole character, who even had the same Madoka-ish realization that the wish she wanted to make was one to save everybody else, only in Ruuko's case her wish was for naught (at least for this season). I guess things might end up getting better by the end of the second season (and/or movie?), but by now the show has Yuzuki trapped as a card, her former card engaging in an incestuous relationship with her brother after taking over her body (I was honestly not expecting that to work out in the end), Akira having become an unhinged psychopath... and I guess Hitoe's still okay somehow.

Cornbread78

Keijo!!!!!!!!
Masou Gakuen HxH
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+!
Hundred

Were the only real T&A anime of the year. A down year for the fanservice/ecchi genre if I do say so myself.

Hundred wins by a longshot for being completely over the top and ridiculous. The Double boob grab when falling on the girl trope moment wins gold. The others I dropped...

Jarmel

Banned
To Be Hero-12
amTnozx.png
TdUhBRa.png
This was applause worthy. It makes me realize how well written the entire show was. Apparently a good chunk of those hijinks and characters actually had a deeper meaning after all. This is how you do a twist, in that there's proper foreshadowing and that it helps further expand your overall message/theme with the show itself. As it turns out, the entire show was about Ossan's relationship with his daughter. THE ENTIRE SHOW. I'm really impressed with the direction they took it near the end as I didn't expect something so emotional from a show literally about toilet humor and alien chickens. I'm now curious as to some prior events/characters in the show in that the twist gives an alternate viewpoint into them.
The last son taking on Ossan's appearance has a deeper meaning now as it was probably a reflection of his own sins in regards to flirting around. So much of the show can be reinterpreted as Ossan's views of the characters around him rather than that actually being the case, such as with the red-haired boyfriend.
Also all that sakuga. They really put in work.

Edit: oh god I just realized
the opening foreshadowed this

Hundred wins by a longshot for being completely over the top and ridiculous. The Double boob grab when falling on the girl trope moment wins gold. The others I dropped...
Masou Gakuen HxH takes the cake if we're going on pure lewd. I mean in one of the episodes one of the girls is seen putting in a cat-tail butt plug.

Sound! Euphonium S2 12

C0N6nyOUoAAzuef.jpg

(fairly good kumiko face)

Uhhh, Shuichi didn't confess. They just had a moment. The Reina confession scene wasn't too bad either, hopefully she can get the fuck over all that though to make this season worthwhile for her.

Eupho ep 2.12

I dunno, seemed like the feedback was overreactions to me, or just misleading to stoke unfounded hate. Good episode imo. Can't wait for Thoraxes's thoughts on it!

And holy shit we have one more episode left?

Cornbread78

Hundred has nothing on Keijo in that regard

The difference is that Hundred didn't embrace and play off that ridiculousness like Keijo did. Hundred was just legit, ridiculous and tried to play it straight/serious...

Nanbaka ep.11
Kinds boring episode, but it was fun seeing the boys share their victory gifts.

Question though. This season is a regular "anime" series, but in Jan. a 12 episode "OVA" series airs... whats the difference?

The difference is that Hundred didn't embrace and play off that ridiculousness like Keijo did. Hundred was just legit, ridiculous and tried to play it straight/serious...

Nanbaka ep.11
Kinds boring episode, but it was fun seeing the boys share their victory gifts.

Question though. This season is a regular "anime" series, but in Jan. a 12 episode "OVA" series airs... whats the difference?

Boring? One of the best characters had his background detailed.
C0JZT2dWEAAIIUy.jpg:small

blurr

Let's Compile a Boat ~Featuring Talking Dictionaries~ - Episode 9

Good episode but I'm still mad about the time skip so I'm going to be bitter and spiteful and give it 1.5 out of 10.

They did hint on their work potentially taking 10 years so an epilogue of sorts at least was expected. The office drama bore little interest for me so I'm glad it moved on from that tbh although Nishioka's moments were nice.

Nazotokine Episode 12 END

Not the best quiz anime out there but it certainly wasnt the worst (if such a thing even exists). Overall I loved the continual Tokine taken to the Quizin and solve the random riddle type case. Unfortunately some of the puzzles are hard just because we dont have the background into some of the JPN language but numerous were actually just english based puzzles so they could be done.

Will miss it, and it had one of my fav OP songs of the season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sound! Euphonium 2 Episode 12:

Are you fucking serious? Are you fucking shitting me? This is how we are ending the series? Fucking hell, couldn't even stick the landing or, you know, give us the actual performance. Though those shitty sub-plots really needed closure. Fuck this season I didn't like it very much. Now let us burn this to the ground and never mention it again.

jonno394

As a UK gaffer, I take it Cruncyroll is the best place for anime streaming?

Had to cut back on buying blu-rays and never really dabbled in streaming before so i'm several years behind whats new. Might just wait and dive in to watching the winter 2017 season instead of working through what i've missed!

Sound! Euphonium 2 Episode 12:

Are you fucking serious? Are you fucking shitting me? This is how we are ending the series? Fucking hell, couldn't even stick the landing or, you know, give us the actual performance. Though those shitty sub-plots really needed closure. Fuck this season I didn't like it very much. Now let us burn this to the ground and never mention it again.

This wasnt the last episode.

gargles

Hibike! Euphonium S2 - 12

Oh. That
supposed Shuichi confession didn't happen after all.
But judging from the novels,
she'll be considering him as her boyfriend. Guess it's a source material problem... if it was as developed as shown.
As for the performance... you are joking, right? I was expecting something even better than that performance. Would be tough but... Nationals. Oh well, maybe in the OVA.
And that
Reina confession... awkward but could be worse. Glad that issue is over... hopefully. Despite loving her character, that wasn't exactly good for her. And Taki sure knew how to deal with that.

Yeah, this season was clearly worse than the first one. Despite having two or three great episodes, the remaining ones weren't as good as I expected them to be. Even so, I'd pay to see a third season with Natsuki running the band like a champ. And with Kumiko and Reina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom