• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
And here I thought Haikyuu was going to be the worst this season at structuring a finale.

Thank you KyoAni for proving me wrong.

Jarmel

Banned
Eupho S2-12

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

I could post this a hundred times and it still would not be enough. Who the fuck structures a season like this?

zulux21

I mean, if people want, we can just let a let a group of shadowy elites whittle down the AOTY voting list to two candidates, and then you can vote on the best one. Nice and simple.

I just got word from them.

your choices are

Re:zero
or Endride.

Cowboy Bebop on blu-ray is 20 bucks on Amazon right now. That's about 10 dollars off.

Hopefully they'll have a better time table to work on whatever type of sequel they're planning.

Haruhi is below 30 on blu ray for the season 1/2 bundle as well.

BluWacky

Trying to use bits of the Christmas break to catch up on some things I've meant to get back to over the past year (or two).

Akagami no Shirayukihime 1-12

This show is so very, very competent. It does everything it sets out to do well - more than well, if I'm honest, in terms of being very solidly produced in almost every way. It's just not very interesting.

Perhaps that's not really very fair; it has an appealing core cast of likeable people doing potentially interesting stuff. It's just all rather low stakes, comfortably ticking along without really affecting me much.

It is, obviously, a lot better than most shoujo anime, but it's still like comfort food; you know exactly what you're going to get from almost every moment of it, and it's fairly pleasing, but... I've basically watched this first season while doing other things - it's background noise anime.

Grimgar 1-4

I have little to add about this show that hasn't been said by many, many others previously. The fanservice/Ranta crap is, well, crap, but so much of the rest of it is actually pretty good. I'm not sure if I will watch any more of this - and I only did so because I really rate Ryousuke Nakamura as a director - but it's definitely better than I thought it might be.

Bungou Stray Dogs 1-4
(although I actually watched episode 1 when it aired!)

This is a premise in search of a story, really. "What if famous authors had superpowers" is a cool enough idea, but that's basically all it's got; of course there's an evil organisation doing Crime Things as well, because you need antagonists, but there are absolutely no interesting themes being explored and the characters hold very little interest thus far. I also find the repeated joking references to Dazai wanting to commit suicide rather distasteful (even though the comic timing on them is usually excellent).

In a market flooded with superpowered fighting stories, you need something to liven things up more than just time-honoured Igarashi faces and good production values.

Sterok

Girlish Number 11

I'm not sure what is more frustrating, that someone with so much support behind her is still a loser, or that someone who has continually shown that she is a loser still has so much support. Chitose is her own greatest enemy, and whether she will finally learn the right lessons so that she doesn't retire early is up to her. I kind of feel sorry for Black Heart Yae, who does keep caring for others even when she keeps being labeled that. Kuzu is the one who got Chitose this chance, so he might as well see her all the way through.

Theonik

Euphonium S2 12

Kumiko is scaring me.

Good episode though, with a couple of really heartwarming scenes. Even the confession wasn't bad. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't show the performance though.
The contrast between your posts and everyone else here has solidified my drive to catch up to this in the next couple of days.

Akagami no Shirayukihime 1-12

This show is so very, very competent. It does everything it sets out to do well - more than well, if I'm honest, in terms of being very solidly produced in almost every way. It's just not very interesting.

I wouldn't even go that far. The direction is so painfully bland that "well" is a rather generous description. I was hoping Ando would do a little more to enliven the material, but in the end there really is nothing of interest in either the production or the story.

Cornbread78

I have no idea, but now I'm interested in a BGBW/TUSR collab.

One half Akari. One half Tsukihi. All shitpost.

Lol. Kill me Baby; Tsukihi Platinum Edition.

I just got word from them.
your choices are

Re:zero
or Endride.

The threads already done and pretty much mirrors the exact same set-up as last year. I'm a professional "cut & paster," lol. Everything with an "anime" theme us eligible, so it's a wide open field. Thread will go up late next week before New Years weekend.

Oh and Endride needs more love since I watched all 24 episodes with DTL, lol.

Jarmel

Banned
Regarding Eupho S2-12, it's not so much that they skipped past the performance. It's that they skipped past the performance to show the reactions. This would have been like if Haikyuu had skipped past the final rally point to show the reactions then later jumped back to show the rally itself. Wow thank you for taking the hype out of the performance itself. Not to mention the show obviously had enough time to show their performance considering they spent literally half the episode on the aftermath. Are they going to spend the entire final episode on the performance itself? It legit makes no sense considering the performance won't take twenty minutes unless they show the performances from other schools as well.

Not to mention the direction in the aftermath scenes was shitty too like the
white-out when the school's medal was announced and showing them unhappy right after like it was a comedy scene
. Not to mention Kumiko's 'confession' to Mamiko felt uncharacteristic and forced, as well as being a rather weak conclusion to Mamiko's arc.

Just utter trash.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Are they going to spend the entire final episode on the performance itself? It legit makes no sense considering the performance won't take twenty minutes unless they show the performances from other schools as well.

Well uh, there's precedence this very season.

Jarmel

Banned
No I mean in other anime this season.

*coughyuricough*

In YoI it makes sense showing the other skaters' performances as a way of fleshing out their characters. Here in Eupho, there's been zero buildup and the other school performances are not instrinsically needed for the development of the current cast, nor could they be fleshed out satisfactorally to justify wasting any time on them in the finale. It might have made sense to show the performance of another school in this episode as a way of building tension for Kitauji's performance but they skipped past that.

In YoI it makes sense showing the other skaters' performances as a way of fleshing out their characters. Here in Eupho, there's been zero buildup and the other school performances are not instrinsically needed for the development of the current cast, nor could they be fleshed out satisfactorally to justify wasting any time on them in the finale. It might have made sense to show the performance of another school in this episode as a way of building tension for Kitauji's performance but they skipped past that.

I wouldn't expect the final episode to go back to the skipped over performance.

MSMrRound

Don't worry. We will be getting the Kumiko/Shuuichi portions of the novel in
the follow-up movie Euphonium Love Story

ep 12 impressions: really gutted that they skipped over the performance. With that skip I knew their chances was as good as gone.

I did like the Asuka/Kumiko portion afterwards though, at least that gave a little bit of closure somewhat.

\o/ loved Hayamin's lines in this episode. It's alright now club pres. It's all over now.

Ascheroth

It just took me 20 minutes to render a 5 second clip, whew.
Now that that's finally out of the way, I guess I'll spend the rest of the day catching up on To Be Hero.

Szadek

Chi's Sweet Home - Ep. 11
Apperently at full moon cats use there eyes as disco light, turn the moon into a disco ball and then they dreakdance.

Concrete Revolutio - Ep. 6
A decent episode with focus on 3 new side characters.
Looks like the give 0 shit about their dead friend.

Soushin Shoujo Matoi - Ep. 12
That was a pretty decent ending for alright.
The animator really went nuts with the visuals for this episode.
Depending on how much Flip Flappers shits the bad , this might sneakly become the best magical series of the season by not fucking up.

Cardcaptor Sakura - Ep. 35
Seems like a perfect time to watch a chrismas episode.
It was a pretty great episode.
Sakura can use 2 cards at a time, that should be very hepful.

MSMrRound

What do you guys think they are gonna go for in the final ep of Euphonium next week?

A timeskip to show us who's taking over as club president and what's not? Maybe a little tease into Rikka Marching Band side?

Sound! Euphonium S2 12:
Well, uh, not sure what to think of this. The skipped performance was a very bizarre move. We really needed to see that. I didn't need something on the same level as Episode 5, but we should have at least seen them play. The message from Asuka's father doesn't carry as much weight because we didn't even see a single scene of her playing. Like, at the very least we should have had a few bits of Kumiko and Asuka playing, and a few scenes of some of the other characters we've followed during the show.

There were some good moments. Kumiko and Shuichi's stuff together was really strong, the bit's with Taki were pretty good as well, and I thought the post performance scenes with the characters were largely enjoyable. The episode did a good job of showing how the third years felt having left everything on the table and not having anything left to give, and the resolve of the younger characters to do better next time.

But I just can't help but being disappointed at the performance being skipped over. That sucks a fair amount of the wind out of this final arc.

phaze

To Be Hero 12 END
AOTY remains AOTY.

-----

I'm largely positive, yet still somewhat conflicted about this ending. My admiration for it's animation and how it managed to underline even more the Father&Daughter relationship with the last spin, is a bit marred by the fact that I universally detest these kind of twists.
lol bro it was just a dream.
Also felt that the skipping of the
waking part was mistake.
The whole transition to the epilogue was mightily jarring as a result, took me a moment to get what happened and it denied us what could have been a sort of catharsis moment for the viewer

So his fat self, was his real self right ? He wasn't in bed for like, few years ?

Yuri On Ice 12 END
C0OgSE8WIAAiMMV.jpg:small

Seung Gil even smiled, all I needed really. Im also glad the writing staff did good with best developed character
actually winning
, even if it felt like the staff just used a random number generator for scoring performances, though there was problematic writing, for example, how was Chris's performance so boring after he did well the earliest parts of the season, or how Otabek gave a solid performance but didnt even up higher?

And too bad the writing wasnt trying to be even more innovative and do a non obscured onscreen kiss and beyond, Id have liked more than just a ring exchange two episodes ago and thats it. Sad. Superlovers, Sekaichi Hatsukoi etc did much much more.

Ice skating is kind of boring overall but there was some good parts. 10/10.

Team South Korea, China, and United States at the end of the day.

Jex

Regarding Eupho S2-12, it's not so much that they skipped past the performance. It's that they skipped past the performance to show the reactions. This would have been like if Haikyuu had skipped past the final rally point to show the reactions then later jumped back to show the rally itself. Wow thank you for taking the hype out of the performance itself. Not to mention the show obviously had enough time to show their performance considering they spent literally half the episode on the aftermath. Are they going to spend the entire final episode on the performance itself? It legit makes no sense considering the performance won't take twenty minutes unless they show the performances from other schools as well.

Not to mention the direction in the aftermath scenes was shitty too like the
white-out when the school's medal was announced and showing them unhappy right after like it was a comedy scene
. Not to mention Kumiko's 'confession' to Mamiko felt uncharacteristic and forced, as well as being a rather weak conclusion to Mamiko's arc.

Just utter trash.
I'm feeling my desire to complete season one of Sound Euphonium fade away...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom